PDA

View Full Version : Kiln Fiend and Sapphire Charm



monovfox
07-24-2013, 04:44 PM
Theorhetical situation:

I have a 7/2 foil japanese kiln fiend on my side of the board. My opponent attemps to kill him, so I sapphire charm him. Becuase he is phased out, and treated like he does nt exist, would he return as a 10/2? My thought process is that he gets the +3/+0 , and becuase the end of turn trigger never occurs, he comes back as an X/2

Koby
07-24-2013, 04:56 PM
Theorhetical situation:

I have a 7/2 foil japanese kiln fiend on my side of the board. My opponent attemps to kill him, so I sapphire charm him. Becuase he is phased out, and treated like he does nt exist, would he return as a 10/2? My thought process is that he gets the +3/+0 , and becuase the end of turn trigger never occurs, he comes back as an X/2

It's phased out, which is not technically Exiled, but not technically on the battlefield. It's simply "phased-out". Any temporary effects cease to apply for that permanent.

Esper3k
07-24-2013, 05:03 PM
But because it's Japanese Foil, it actually is a base 2/3 instead of a 1/2.

Teluin
07-24-2013, 06:50 PM
Haha yeah, why the hell did you mention that it's forein and shiny?

monovfox
07-24-2013, 07:14 PM
Haha yeah, why the hell did you mention that it's forein and shiny?

I guess with me, a foreign foil kiln fiend should just be assumed.

mort-
07-25-2013, 06:59 AM
Let me rephrase that for you: "Why would you tell that detail despite it having no impact or whatsoever on the rules or situation?"

Finn
07-25-2013, 07:44 AM
It is just his way - for drama, as was his entertaining dodge of the question.

(nameless one)
07-25-2013, 07:45 AM
Let me rephrase that for you: "Why would you tell that detail despite it having no impact or whatsoever on the rules or situation?"

Maybe the Japanese foil Kiln Fiend gives him a sense of accomplishment because he could never have Dual lands?

Or maybe he has a small penis and to compensate with that, he's telling the whole world he has a Japanese foil Kiln Fiend so people would never think of him having a small dick.

Koby
07-25-2013, 08:44 AM
*ahem*

Please keep discussion to rules questions only.

TorpidNinja
07-25-2013, 04:49 PM
Theorhetical situation:

I have a 7/2 foil japanese kiln fiend on my side of the board. My opponent attemps to kill him, so I sapphire charm him. Becuase he is phased out, and treated like he does nt exist, would he return as a 10/2? My thought process is that he gets the +3/+0 , and becuase the end of turn trigger never occurs, he comes back as an X/2

I mean, I get it - this is a hypothetical about Phasing more than anything else, still:

Choose one — Target player draws a card at the beginning of the next turn's upkeep; or target creature gains flying until end of turn; or target creature an opponent controls phases out. (While it's phased out, it's treated as though it doesn't exist. It phases in before its controller untaps during his or her next untap step.)

Koby
07-25-2013, 04:56 PM
I mean, I get it - this is a hypothetical about Phasing more than anything else, still:

Choose one — Target player draws a card at the beginning of the next turn's upkeep; or target creature gains flying until end of turn; or target creature an opponent controls phases out. (While it's phased out, it's treated as though it doesn't exist. It phases in before its controller untaps during his or her next untap step.)

Good catch. Let's modify the scenario where the opponent attempted to Sapphire Charm the Kiln Fiend instead. Any temporary bonuses would still be removed as soon as the permanent became phased and confused.

PS: Let's also not confuse Sapphire Charm with Vision Charm, both of which phase permanents. Vision Charm phases any artifact, while Sapphire only opponent's creatures. I'm only putting this here because I was confused myself and figure everyone else would need to look it up as well.