PDA

View Full Version : What's the most expensive tournament legal card?

Stan
09-28-2013, 01:56 PM
The thread title says it all. I'm guessing a summer magic Demonic Tutor or Underground Sea is as expensive as it gets.

HammafistRoob
09-28-2013, 09:11 PM
I'm pretty sure it's Summer Magic Hurricane and Serendib Efreet. U sea and Demonic are up there too though.

Elias
09-28-2013, 10:31 PM
I'm pretty sure it's Summer Magic Hurricane and Serendib Efreet. U sea and Demonic are up there too though.

The hurricane has come way down. I believe they are around 2-3k while U sea is about 10...

Technics
09-28-2013, 11:05 PM
Summer Sea's are 8k - here (http://www.abugames.com/card185552-307063/Underground-Sea-Summer-Magic-/-Edgar-Magic-The-Gathering-Single-Card.html)

Hurricane's are still 7k - here (http://www.abugames.com/card185403-306765/Hurricane-Summer-Magic-/-Edgar-Magic-The-Gathering-Single-Card.html)

I'm seeing Effret still at 10k - here (http://www.abugames.com/card185514-306987/Serendib-Efreet-Summer-Magic-/-Edgar-Magic-The-Gathering-Single-Card.html)

Elias
09-29-2013, 12:22 AM
Summer Sea's are 8k - here (http://www.abugames.com/card185552-307063/Underground-Sea-Summer-Magic-/-Edgar-Magic-The-Gathering-Single-Card.html)

Hurricane's are still 7k - here (http://www.abugames.com/card185403-306765/Hurricane-Summer-Magic-/-Edgar-Magic-The-Gathering-Single-Card.html)

I'm seeing Effret still at 10k - here (http://www.abugames.com/card185514-306987/Serendib-Efreet-Summer-Magic-/-Edgar-Magic-The-Gathering-Single-Card.html)

Seas are out of stock... I saw one go on MOTL for 10k a few months ago.
Hurricane also out of stock. I want to say that I saw a discussion in the Misprint and Oddity Facebook group about them. I believe that they thought that they were in the 4-5k range.
The Effret is also out of stock :/ Dont really know anything about him though...

HammafistRoob
09-29-2013, 03:53 AM
Yeah I'm not really sure, such rare items are always a pain to find accurate prices on. All I know is that an 8.5 GEM grade Hurricane went for 15,000 on ebay recently. I've never seen an ungraded one on there so it's tough to say but if I had one, I wouldn't let it go for under 7,000.

For what it's worth I also saw two different GEM grade 10 summer Hypnotic Specter and Fastbond combos go for 2,800 & 3,000, respectively.

r3dd09
10-01-2013, 01:33 PM
I know someone who sold a summer sea recently, I think they're going for the most. That hurricane I'm pretty sure didn't go for 15k.

Besides summer stuff, the most expensive legal tournament card is a Russian foil JTMS

apple713
10-01-2013, 02:40 PM
I've got no evidence this is the most expensive because there are no records of any being sold. With that being said it possesses the highest demand (being and island) and scarcity (2-3 in existence) of any card possibly printed, 2 factors in determining price. If it were ever to be sold it would probably fetch any asking price. OCCAM could probably direct you to a price on these if there was one. I think he is one of the 2 people who own one.

It might be worth mentioning that there are a couple non foil ones as well..(possibly 3)... Foil obviously being more rare / sought after.

http://i39.tinypic.com/2q3x9c5.jpg

There are other test prints / misprints that that can raise a pretty penny but there are no recent records of sales. my most favorite being City of traitors. Although with the recent ruling gaea's cradle might exceed others value. It however may not be tournament legal. There are foil survival of the fittests as well with original foil printings. They were rumored to be around 1k since there are so many that have been printed.

http://i44.tinypic.com/bg66ux.jpg

r3dd09
10-01-2013, 02:54 PM
I'm talking regular printed on the russian foil jtms.

If we are talking test prints and what not, I forgot about 5th dawn sunburst foils. I think Occam said they're running 5 figures.

apple713
10-01-2013, 02:57 PM
I'm talking regular printed on the russian foil jtms.

If we are talking test prints and what not, I forgot about 5th dawn sunburst foils. I think Occam said they're running 5 figures.

there is a picture of an engineered explosives in the middle of those 9. its hard to see the foiling pattern but it resembles those of JSS cards.

Also if you consider normal printings of alpha cards in pristine (BGS 10) they get high. The most recent was 6300 for a pristine alpha ancestral recall. It was won in an auction. I'd imagine a pristine black lotus would fetch more, possibly close to 10k.

Stan
10-01-2013, 03:07 PM
I know someone who sold a summer sea recently, I think they're going for the most. That hurricane I'm pretty sure didn't go for 15k.

Besides summer stuff, the most expensive legal tournament card is a Russian foil JTMS

I didn't find a Russian foil Jace on MCM, but there's one Japanese specimen for sale for 2500 euro. The average price on that site for an alpha Black Lotus is 4150 euro, is a Russian foil Jace really worth significantly more (twice as much or so) than a Jap one, and indeed more than an alpha Lotus?

apple713
10-01-2013, 03:13 PM
I didn't find a Russian foil Jace on MCM, but there's one Japanese specimen for sale for 2500 euro. The average price on that site for an alpha Black Lotus is 4150 euro, is a Russian foil Jace really worth significantly more (twice as much or so) than a Jap one, and indeed more than an alpha Lotus?

russian is commonly known to be the most scarcely printed language among newer sets, since the frame shift. I guess it's possible someone could ask that much but as for someone paying that much it may be unlikely.

As far as a pristine alpha black lotus, I dont think there are many in existence, probably less than 10. I dont even think that many have been registered and graded by professional services so that would imply there are still some sitting in basements.

Stan
10-01-2013, 03:37 PM
russian is commonly known to be the most scarcely printed language among newer sets, since the frame shift. I guess it's possible someone could ask that much but as for someone paying that much it may be unlikely.

As far as a pristine alpha black lotus, I dont think there are many in existence, probably less than 10. I dont even think that many have been registered and graded by professional services so that would imply there are still some sitting in basements.

Back when Zendikar block was on sale, I managed to find a dealer who sold Russian boxes at the normal price (100 euro/piece). Sadly, I was too late to get my hands on a Russian Worldwake box, but I got a few Zendikar boxes. I managed to get playsets in Russian (non-foil) of all the fetchlands (I got 13 out of my boxes, and traded for the rest), a playset Goblin Guides (one foil), a foil Iona and a foil Eldrazi Monument. I really, really wish that guy still sold those boxes. :(

apple713
10-01-2013, 05:35 PM
Back when Zendikar block was on sale, I managed to find a dealer who sold Russian boxes at the normal price (100 euro/piece). Sadly, I was too late to get my hands on a Russian Worldwake box, but I got a few Zendikar boxes. I managed to get playsets in Russian (non-foil) of all the fetchlands (I got 13 out of my boxes, and traded for the rest), a playset Goblin Guides (one foil), a foil Iona and a foil Eldrazi Monument. I really, really wish that guy still sold those boxes. :(

due to their scarcity it might be economically beneficial to become a retailer just to by russian boxes from wizards :confused:

Occam
10-02-2013, 02:54 AM
Kinda pointless to include rarities in this as it then becomes too subjective to form any clear ranking. It should theoretically be a clean alpha lotus.

On the rarities, the highest would be efreet, sea and tundra. First two about the same although I feel an efreet is higher, tundra a little behind. Hurricane isn't in thr same ballpark as those.

For tournament legal test prints, cradle is the highest followed by city. City is in far greater demand, though. Sotfs are also more than a grand for sure. Multiples forbb ones, actually.

If anything goes, the parallax tide island won't beat some of the other stuff although it costs a few grand for sure. Something like the EE above is probably going to be the priciest test print simply based on scarcity. I didn't actually say that the 5d stuff is in the 5figs as most will not come close, but I would not sell the EE for 1x k.

Keep in mind that some other oddities would be stupidly expensive too. That half albino sea above has probably quintupled in value since I picked it up, and a fully albino brainstorm exists. Things like that are stupidly expensive too.

apple713
10-02-2013, 09:59 AM
For tournament legal test prints, cradle is the highest followed by city. City is in far greater demand, though. Sotfs are also more than a grand for sure. Multiples forbb ones, actually.

What are Sotfs and forbb? surly not foreign black border?

Occam
10-02-2013, 01:22 PM
Meh, posting from the phone is a chore. Sotf = Survival, "forbb" = for bb, for blackbordered sotfs.

There're way too many rarities to list on a price scale, so I just responded to the ones talked about in this thread.

r3dd09
10-02-2013, 01:35 PM

Yes, You won't see one go for less than 7.5k usd and that was a few months back. Could be more now.

Thanks Occam for clearing up the talk of the 5d test prints. I must have misread your comment awhile back.

If anything goes, yes a 10 grade alpha lotus takes the cake no questions asked.

kaiserruhsam
10-29-2013, 06:10 AM
I've got no evidence this is the most expensive because there are no records of any being sold. With that being said it possesses the highest demand (being and island) and scarcity (2-3 in existence) of any card possibly printed, 2 factors in determining price. If it were ever to be sold it would probably fetch any asking price. OCCAM could probably direct you to a price on these if there was one. I think he is one of the 2 people who own one.

It might be worth mentioning that there are a couple non foil ones as well..(possibly 3)... Foil obviously being more rare / sought after.

I thought these didn't have magic backs?

Stan
11-16-2013, 08:56 AM
OK, in light of what has been posted earlier, would the following deck (all carts in mint condition) be the most expensive 60 card legal vintage deck?

Alpha edition:

Black Lotus
5 moxen
Timewalk
Time Vault
Time Twister
Ancestral Recall

Summer Magic:

Sol Ring
Demonic Tutor
4 Serendib Efreet (deck needs a win condition)
the 40 duals

Worldwake:

4 foil Russian Jace, the Mind Sculptor (deck needs a secondary win condition)

big_ticket
04-20-2014, 04:42 AM
i think when you got cards like that,i will sell it for sure...

FTW
04-21-2014, 07:36 PM
OK, in light of what has been posted earlier, would the following deck (all carts in mint condition) be the most expensive 60 card legal vintage deck?

Alpha edition:

Black Lotus
5 moxen
Timewalk
Time Vault
Time Twister
Ancestral Recall

Summer Magic:

Sol Ring
Demonic Tutor
4 Serendib Efreet (deck needs a win condition)
the 40 duals

Worldwake:

4 foil Russian Jace, the Mind Sculptor (deck needs a secondary win condition)

Deck doesn't need all 5 colors in equal quantity, but probably needs 4 Summer Hurricane to kill opposing Serendibs and Jaces in the mirror. Would also make it even more expensive.

Phelix
05-07-2014, 05:09 AM

There are other test prints / misprints that that can raise a pretty penny but there are no recent records of sales. my most favorite being City of traitors. Although with the recent ruling gaea's cradle might exceed others value. It however may not be tournament legal. There are foil survival of the fittests as well with original foil printings. They were rumored to be around 1k since there are so many that have been printed.

http://i44.tinypic.com/bg66ux.jpg

Does anyone know if there is a forest, matching the island?

big_ticket
05-08-2014, 12:15 AM
you own the cards?very nice