View Full Version : Serious pimping dilemma: foil, koreeeeen, jap, russian wth!?
Phelix
01-31-2014, 05:46 AM
So, as some of you know, i love my lands deck. and im pimping the xx out of it.
At first i was going for all foil, where possible. this mean at bunch of FTV cards. after finishing this, i quickly wanted MOARE PIMP!
Then i got my korean stuff, explorations, manabond, smokestack... and starting wondering if If i should switch to korean mox diamonds, since they went so well with everything (and oldframe) and are more expensive. so i got two koreen moxens, just in case...
then i happened upon a few (foil) russian cards, and added them. thinking more expensive => more pimp.
then came jap foil ports and fetches... and i was a little annoyed at having korean, russian, japanese and english. as well as mix of old and new frame.
So here is my question. what you prefer? whats more pimp? or prettier?
same language
all asian (where possible)
old frame/no ftv
most expensive = most pimp
or something i didnt think of.
Julian23
01-31-2014, 05:51 AM
To me, the T-Shirts you wear to events are as pimp as it gets.
Phelix
01-31-2014, 05:58 AM
To me, the T-Shirts you wear to events are as pimp as it gets.
I super happy you noticed :=)
afb0032
01-31-2014, 09:08 AM
Whatever you like most and fits your style. Everyone will always have an opinion, some will like the way you pimped it and some will not. Do what makes you the happiest. I like foreign language cards and dislike foils, but those are my preferences.
apple713
01-31-2014, 09:26 AM
Pimp it occam style. Summer duals Albinos. Foil misprints. That project will keep u busy for years.
Personally im a old border ebglish foil and alpha/beta kinda guy. Foreign isnt my thing.
nedleeds
01-31-2014, 09:50 AM
So, as some of you know, i love my lands deck. and im pimping the xx out of it.
At first i was going for all foil, where possible. this mean at bunch of FTV cards. after finishing this, i quickly wanted MOARE PIMP!
Then i got my korean stuff, explorations, manabond, smokestack... and starting wondering if If i should switch to korean mox diamonds, since they went so well with everything (and oldframe) and are more expensive. so i got two koreen moxens, just in case...
then i happened upon a few (foil) russian cards, and added them. thinking more expensive => more pimp.
then came jap foil ports and fetches... and i was a little annoyed at having korean, russian, japanese and english. as well as mix of old and new frame.
So here is my question. what you prefer? whats more pimp? or prettier?
same language
all asian (where possible)
old frame/no ftv
most expensive = most pimp
or something i didnt think of.
It's all opinion to a certain point if it's purely money then nothing less than Summer will do.
Foils are gross. New bordered foils are atrocious.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-KqEda2igcU0/UO8akN9DhFI/AAAAAAAAA0E/ez9drX78yDQ/s800/20130110115407483.jpg
Korean Mox Diamonds in old rich brown border
vs. a reprint foil turd
http://i.ebayimg.com/t/THEMANAVAULT-MTG-Magic-the-Gathering-FTV-Mox-Diamond-NM-1-/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/z/0icAAOxyLN9SiYZt/%24_35.JPG
Warping crappy Yu-Ghi-Oh cards ... also you should play Jade Statue in your lands deck.
KristinXX
01-31-2014, 10:01 AM
Pimp it occam style. Summer duals Albinos. Foil misprints. That project will keep u busy for years.
Personally im a old border ebglish foil and alpha/beta kinda guy. Foreign isnt my thing.
When in doubt, foil it out. Foil everything is the way to go
r3dd09
01-31-2014, 10:05 AM
Pimp it occam style. Summer duals Albinos. Foil misprints. That project will keep u busy for years.
Personally im a old border ebglish foil and alpha/beta kinda guy. Foreign isnt my thing.
The albino seas aren't summer. Maybe you forgot a period as albino is capitalized?
As pimping goes, I like uniformity. I picked German after being done with Jap because German is printed in more sets and is barely behind Italian as the most printed language outside of English.
Beta cards when possible, few exceptions on this (FNM StP/Beta StP are constantly being swapped). German foil of the original set if possible, few exceptions (I don't like boobie merfolk ponders in storm). If there is no foil, German. If the card is not in German, English.
I don't like promo foils (ftv especially), but I'd play with a few. Wasteland, StP, Lightning Bolt (the good art, obv)
What it comes down to is what's important to you. Uniformity? Price? Most difficult to get? etc.
JPoJohnson
01-31-2014, 10:17 AM
Agreed - Uniformity as much as possible.
Admiral_Arzar
01-31-2014, 10:30 AM
Japanese non-foil, preferably old border is the way I like to pimp (I especially like the aesthetics of the text on old Japanese cards, newer ones aren't quite as pretty). I will mix in Russian occasionally for newer cards to spice things up though. I've never really liked foils, especially new-bordered and (God forbid) FTV-style ones. Honestly though, it comes down to whatever you like the best.
Darkenslight
01-31-2014, 10:40 AM
Judge foils all the way. IF they're available (they propbably aren't), in another language.
Occam
01-31-2014, 10:48 AM
If I wanted someone to tell me how to spend my money, I'd get married.
Failing that, I usually split cards up and apply certain rules. For instance, everything that can be in japanese foil is done as such, anything that cannot but is in korean is done as such, rest beta. I usually impose some kind of uniformity as a deck of full misprints will look ugly, so I restrict it to a couple of key playsets. If I spec some duals to be summer, than all duals will be white bordered, either summer or like the albino seas. No signed cards. Newer promo foils and ftv = nono.
Promo foils are a tough one since some of them look good (Eliot wasteland, beta art stp). Wouldn't begrudge someone using those. In the end, do whatever you feel comfortable with.
barcode
01-31-2014, 11:34 AM
Personally it's Korean then Russian then Japanese then old font Simplified Chinese. Foils are for suckers.
bernson
02-02-2014, 07:52 AM
This is the lands deck that Kurt Speiss won SCG Baltimore
I'd Pimp it with the following, for an average budget:
35 LANDS
4 Thespian's Stage: Jap Foil
4 Rishadan Port: Jap Foil
4 Maze of Ith: Dark English
4 Grove of the Burnwillows: Jap Foil
4 Wasteland: Wasteland Foil old Fame / or Japanese
3 Tranquil Thicket: Jap Foil
3 Wooded Foothills: Jap Foil
2 Taiga: Beta English
2 Dark Depths: Jap Foil
1 Glacial Chasm: Ice Age English
1 Windswept Heath: Jap Foil
1 Karakas: Legends English
1 The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale: Legends English
1 Forest: Beta English
15 INSTANTS and SORCERIES
4 Punishing Fire: Jap Foil
4 Gamble: Japanese Saga
4 Life from the Loam: Jap Foil
3 Crop Rotation: Jap Foil
10 OTHER SPELLS
4 Mox Diamond: Japanese Stronghold
4 Exploration: Japanese Saga
2 Manabond: Japanese Exodus
SIDEBOARD
1 Crop Rotation: Jap Foil
2 Dark Depths: Jap Foil
1 Chalice of the Void: Jap Foil
4 Sphere of Resistance: Japanese Exodus
2 Thorn of Amethyst: Jap Foil
1 Primeval Titan: Jap Foil
3 Krosan Grip: Jap Foil
1 Bojuka Bog: Jap Foil
For Me it's original printing English, If it can't be Japanese Foiled or Japanese
death
02-02-2014, 11:23 AM
For me, the pimpest, best-looking Legacy/Vintage would be old-frame Korean (when available, except white-bordered) followed by Japanese (could be foils), then Beta (English if no other available). This combination is the most aesthetic in my opinion.
Modern card frame Russian and Korean are best reserved for.. Modern.
My 2 cents.
I am personally not a fan of foreign cards, but I've said for years that if I didn't do Foil everything (I have the FTV foiling, it's fugly and deserves to not be anywhere, and the judge promos with huge ass ugly shooting star in the middle of the text box need to be destroyed.)
I would do Russian all the way where possible. I have always loved the look of the cyrillic script, it's completely unique from any other language I have seen.
Korean has aspects that Chinese and Japanese have, so it's not as unique in my book. If doubt of the Russian cards, I would do original printing in English.
Phelix
02-02-2014, 03:40 PM
35 LANDS
4 Thespian's Stage: Jap Foil -check
4 Rishadan Port: Jap Foil -check
4 Maze of Ith: Dark English -FTVs
4 Grove of the Burnwillows: Jap Foil -check
4 Wasteland: Wasteland Foil old Fame / or Japanese -have judgefoil and japanese ones
3 Tranquil Thicket: Jap Foil -only have English :/
3 Wooded Foothills: Jap Foil - check
2 Taiga: Beta English -alpha
2 Dark Depths: Jap Foil -only have English foil
1 Glacial Chasm: Ice Age English -check
1 Windswept Heath: Jap Foil -check
1 Karakas: Legends English -check+judge foil
1 The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale: Legends English -check
1 Forest: Beta English - have Guru
15 INSTANTS and SORCERIES
4 Punishing Fire: Jap Foil -check
4 Gamble: Japanese Saga -dont run, have english
4 Life from the Loam: Jap Foil -only have English foil :/
3 Crop Rotation: Jap Foil - only have English foil
10 OTHER SPELLS
4 Mox Diamond: Japanese Stronghold - have FTV+ 2 korean
4 Exploration: Japanese Saga -have korean
2 Manabond: Japanese Exodus -have korean
SIDEBOARD
1 Crop Rotation: Jap Foil
2 Dark Depths: Jap Foil
1 Chalice of the Void: Jap Foil -English foil
4 Sphere of Resistance: Japanese Exodus
2 Thorn of Amethyst: Jap Foil -
1 Primeval Titan: Jap Foil
3 Krosan Grip: Jap Foil
1 Bojuka Bog: Jap Foil
its not the list im running, but i can get there.
i run 6 duals(Alpha/beta)+ forest
Portuguese where applicable. English when not possible. I'm the minority, though.
Edit: If I were pimping lands, I'd go for all Italian BB, signed when possible.
Bed Decks Palyer
02-03-2014, 04:42 AM
Korean has aspects that Chinese and Japanese have, so it's not as unique in my book.
:confused:
You do know that Korean is a completely unique writing system?
lordofthepit
02-03-2014, 05:40 AM
It's pretty easy for me:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_mDTLphIVY
Sloshthedark
02-03-2014, 09:04 AM
oldborder where possible, korean+japanese (/foil), lands used to be very oldborder friendly deck
:confused:
You do know that Korean is a completely unique writing system?
The writing system may indeed be different, but the style of the characters look similar. At least they do to any random layman. Only way I know that it's Korean over a different Asian language are the little circles, but other than that the way the lines are formed looks similar to me at least.
Zakman86
02-04-2014, 10:33 PM
I prefer Japanese all around when available. I foil in Legacy; not everyone enjoys it, but it's a personal preference. If it's not available in Japanese, it's English for me. (I use Guru Basics, as well)
Bed Decks Palyer
02-05-2014, 05:39 AM
The writing system may indeed be different, but the style of the characters look similar. At least they do to any random layman. Only way I know that it's Korean over a different Asian language are the little circles, but other than that the way the lines are formed looks similar to me at least.
It's easy to recognize, with a bit of practice you'll get use to it, don't be afraid.
I'd use Korean, but many cards are unavailable. Chinese cards are mostly nice, but WotC fooled around with fonts so often that no two cards look the same, if you know what I mean. I like my Stifles and Mongooses, so I got Chinese-Canadian Thresh. For all the other cards/decks (and I got less and less of them) that I "pimp", I go with Japanese, as it covers many editions and the fonts used aren't that orderless as the two Chinese.
European languages don't make me thrilled. For some reason I dislike the Romanic languages, Russian covers nothing, so this leaves us with Austrian. Now that's a language; moreover it covers big part of MtG history. Otoh it still uses the alphabet, so one of the reasons why I like to pimp is missing: contrary to most of the people who either don't care if they can read the card, or even use only those that they do understand, I deliberately use cards that I can't read, because this way they are always errataed to the most recent version.
I'd love if WotC reprinted the missing cards (mostly ABU-5th) at least for the non-Korean and non-Russian languages (esp. with Russian it might be too big task), but this is not going to happen. It'll be lovely to have Korean old frame Sol Rings.
Secretly.A.Bee
02-08-2014, 03:55 AM
I prefer pimping my deck with language but keeping the art in mind. For instance, I just got a couple Supreme Verdicts. I got foil buy a box promo ones for the art, but they are also Japanese. On a separate note, since foiling isn't a huge priority (I prefer non foil but occasionally due to alternate art I do get foils; supreme verdict, judge promo meddling mage, new batterskull, EvT Elspeth) but I do play them, how many foil cards do I need to play to stay out of troubled waters as far as cheating concerns go?
Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.2 Copyright © 2026 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.