PDA

View Full Version : RG Trinimoon



Rivfader
12-05-2014, 10:45 AM
The concept of this deck is to build a prisondeck, with Trinisphere and Chalice of the void, but also with Bloodmoon and Magus of the Moon. Much like MUD, Painter or the Sylvan Plug thread, but with some major differences, like mooneffects to complement Chalice/Trini, because they also shut down manaramp strategies through sollands, or locus'es like MUD or 12-post, which dodge Trini/chalice.
Another part of the concept was to rely on recurrable burn, providing a kill condition but also creature control, and easily castable through the mooneffects. And lastly, to minimize randomness I felt there was need of a cardfilter because I don't want to play blue for Brainstorm.

That kinda lead me to Sylvan Library + Words of War as a core-interaction. Sylvan Library basically filters the game for further lockpieces or burnspells, and converts itself later to a damage engine when it find Words of War. Here's a preliminary list:

Prisoncards
-4 Trinisphere
-4 Chalice of the Void
-4 Magus of the Moon
-4 Blood Moon
-3 Ensnaring Bridge

CardFilter
-4 Sylvan Library

Burnspells
-4 Punishing Fire
-2 Hammer of Bogardan
-2 Words of War

Accelerators
-4 Chrome Mox
-4 lotus Petal

Manabase
-4 City of Traitors
-4 Ancient Tomb
-4 Grove of the Burnwillows
-4 Wooded Foothills
-1 Taiga
-1 Plateau
-1 Forest
-2 Mountain

Sideboard:
-4 Red Elemental Blast
-4 Surgical Extraction
-1 Ensnaring Bridge
-1 Words of Wilding
-2 Words of Worship
-3 Krosan Grip

Like other Trini/Chalice decks, the primary goal is to land a lockpiece as soon as possible, with sollands and Chrome mox / Lotus Petal. I opted Lotus Petal instead of Simian Spirit Guide to have access to green under a mooneffect for Sylvan Library.
Secondary goal is to establish boardcontrol by landing additional lockpieces, playing Library to find what you need, or to burn away whatever creature slipped under the prisoncards. Punishing Fire with Grove of the Burnwillows is perfect for this, even though it's not synergical with mooneffects (theoretically bloodmoon should prevent your opponent from playing creatures in the first place). There is also Hammer of Bogardan. It seems an unplayable card as it's an overcosted burnspell, but in this deck it's really good. With a Trinisphere out it's manacost doesn't matter, and it's playable through chalice 1 and 2. It recurs from the graveyard as well (albeit at a high manacost), and it's meant to take over from Punishing Fire after bloodmoon landed.
The endgame lies in [cards]Sylvan Library[cards] finding Words of War, dealing 6 damage (divided in 3x2) a turn for 3 mana. Or with multiple libraries, multiple damage. Hammering away Bogardanstyle is also possible when there's 8 mana on the table.

The sideboard consists of Surgical Extraction to counteract decks that don't play spells, like Dredge or Oops all Spells, for fast combo as Reanimator or against Life from the loam. Red Elemental Blast is boarded against combo for Punishing Fire, while not synergetical with chalice (but if chalice 1 lies on the table, the scale should tip over in our favor against combo). Krosan Grip deals with opposing hatecards like Pithing Needle, Leyline of Sanctity, and many more. Words of Wilding is an alternative wincondition and Words of Worship is meant against fast damagedecks like burn (might be too cute because of the mooneffects).

I haven't tested this deck yet in a tournament, but I am confident that it won't perform bad (not saying it will shine either!). All testing has been done online or against a group of befriended testers with tournamentplayable decks, and here it did very well. It plays well against the fast delver variants, as it can burn away Delver and friends that managed to get through the prisoncards.

Thanks for reading, and I'd appreciate some constructive advice (especially the sideboard)!

Chatto
12-05-2014, 03:08 PM
The concept of this deck is to build a prisondeck, with Trinisphere and Chalice of the void, but also with Bloodmoon and Magus of the Moon.

(...)

Like other Trini/Chalice decks, the primary goal is to land a lockpiece as soon as possible, with sollands and Chrome mox / Lotus Petal. I opted Lotus Petal instead of Simian Spirit Guide to have access to green under a mooneffect for Sylvan Library. (...)

I'm not seeing really any difference with something like Dragon/ Goblin-Stompy, sorry

Begle1
12-05-2014, 09:50 PM
It's like a variant of Dragon Stompy, only with Punishing Fire, Hammer of Bogardan and Words enchantments instead of a creature package.

Considering how much Dragon Stompy has been searching for creatures over the past months, I think this direction is worth testing. People are playing either "traditional" Pit Dragon builds, Moggcatcher builds or Prophetic Flame-Speaker builds... Lots of Goblin Rabblemasters. I've been playing with Fire Imp recently, for crying out loud.

I think Words has potential.

This build has some definite anti-synergy between its colors and its Moons, but it has Lotus Petals to compensate.

In return, it has no creatures...

I like it, I think I'll play with it some.

Rivfader
12-07-2014, 11:14 AM
I'm not seeing really any difference with something like Dragon/ Goblin-Stompy, sorry

In the above version, there's no difference in the prisonpieces or sollands. The difference is in the creaturelessness (the stompy part), being replaced by repeatable burn for extra creaturecontrol and killcondition.



It's like a variant of Dragon Stompy, only with Punishing Fire, Hammer of Bogardan and Words enchantments instead of a creature package.

Considering how much Dragon Stompy has been searching for creatures over the past months, I think this direction is worth testing. People are playing either "traditional" Pit Dragon builds, Moggcatcher builds or Prophetic Flame-Speaker builds... Lots of Goblin Rabblemasters. I've been playing with Fire Imp recently, for crying out loud.

I think Words has potential.

This build has some definite anti-synergy between its colors and its Moons, but it has Lotus Petals to compensate.

In return, it has no creatures...

I like it, I think I'll play with it some.

I have been tinkering further this weekend with the deck, and I think this deck needs to focus more on the creatureless approach. Without creatures, maindeck firespout would be possible, and between that and ensnaring bridge, opposing creaturedecks should be very controllable. I cut Pfire for Firespout, because the major inconsistency of this deck was the mooneffects vs Grove of the Burnwillows. I might test a split of two Firespouts with 2 Devastating Dreams as well.
I also moved Magus of the Moon to the sideboard to go creatureless all the way, and replaced it by that other hatefull card with a perfect manacurve, choke. This is what I played this weekend. I need to play this more to know for sure if it's the right changes.

-4 Trinisphere
-4 Chalice of the Void
-4 Choke
-4 Blood Moon
-3 Ensnaring Bridge

CardFilter
-4 Sylvan Library

Burnspells
-4 Firespout
-2 Hammer of Bogardan
-2 Words of War

Accelerators
-4 Chrome Mox
-4 lotus Petal

Manabase
-4 City of Traitors
-4 Ancient Tomb
-4 Copperline Gorge (budget option, only have 1 taiga for the moment, should be +3taiga +1 mountain instead)
-4 Wooded Foothills
-1 Taiga
-1 Forest
-3 Mountain

-4 Leyline of Sanctity
-4 Surgical Extraction
-1 Ensnaring Bridge
-1 Words of Wilding
-2 Krosan Grip
-3 Magus of the Moon