PDA

View Full Version : HALP: Borrowing Cards at SCG Seattle Invitational



Di
12-10-2014, 04:56 PM
Greetings fellow Sourcers,

Recently, due to some unexpected circumstances involving a dog and a vet and surgery and an outrageous bill, I was forced to sell off the entirety of my Legacy collection. Which technically was just the only Legacy deck I still owned, but that's gone. So I gots me roughly anywhere between 1-7 (approximate estimate) of Legacy playables at the moment. Problem is that I am flying to Seattle tomorrow to play in this weekend's SCG Invitational. Rather than cancel the trip and reap back the money from flight/hotel/expenses, I'd prefer to be the irresponsible adult I was born to be and stick with it and make use of the last qualification of the year.

I am trying to frantically scrap together the ability to actually have a full deck to play in the Legacy portion of the event, and one of my friends has 90% of Death and Taxes built. This is where I need some help. If anyone who is attending Seattle or lives in the area can either help me finish putting the deck together, or actually have another (at least semi-viable, but really I'll take anything) deck together that I could play that would be insanely appreciated.

For the remaining stuff I need from Death and Taxes between the main and sideboard:

4 Stoneforge Mystic (pending - may have a lead on this already)
1 Umezawa's Jitte
1 Mangara of Corondor
1 Council's Judgment
2-3 Containment Priest
1 Sword of Light and Shadow
2 Grafdigger's Cage

And again if there's anyone with an actual viable deck I could otherwise borrow if I can't put this together, that works too. I can pilot literally anything.


As far as compensation goes, anyone who I borrow stuff from will receive an unlimited supply of hugs and high fives and thank yous. I'll also give a portion of any winnings I make to that person as well (but if I scrub...tough luck). If someone lends me an entire deck and I top8, I'll give you my original print run MTGTheSource playmat. No joke. It has my name on it in sharpie, but it's still the real deal. I almost hope I don't top8 if that happens.

And if anyone needs reassurance about me not stealing their cards, at least they can rest given that I am 1. A respectable overlord of yours, 2. Not some random, I'm somewhat reputable and people can point me out/find me, 3. I have like 180 MOTL refs? and good ebay feedback? and 4. I'm not an asshole.

So if anyone can help it would be immensely appreciated. Just post here or PM me, and we can work out details. From there we can swap phone numbers or something and meet on site. I know it's last minute, but I really don't want to have to limp into this event if possible.

And thanks to everyone in advance if you can help me out!

Mr.C
12-10-2014, 05:16 PM
If anybody from Vancouver is going there and doesn't have the cards, I have a Jitte.

Allcoin
12-10-2014, 05:38 PM
If I was going down Friday I could help you out, but I'll be occupied for Friday unfortunately and can't make it down until at least Saturday or sunday

danyul
12-10-2014, 06:12 PM
I'll put the word out on some of the Seattle Legacy FB groups.

thecrav
12-10-2014, 06:13 PM
I can't get you those cards in time but I tweeted from the podcast account (https://twitter.com/EternalMTG/status/542818898555322370) for signal boost. Also messaged Matt since he's likely too busy studying for finals to get to read the source this week.

ESG
12-10-2014, 06:31 PM
Di, I'm fairly sure I have all those cards and won't be using them. I'll double-check momentarily. I can get them to you through Danyul, who is qualified for the Invitational.

Update: I don't have the Jitte or the Mangara, but I set everything else aside to loan to you.

sdematt
12-10-2014, 07:12 PM
Had you let people, specifically me, know a week ago, you'd be set. I'm pretty sure you'll still be set, though. However, the pimp factor won't be there :/

-Matt

lordofthepit
12-10-2014, 07:43 PM
I think I can get you everything other than the Containment Priest if ESG hasn't gotten to it yet. I think I can also build High Tide for you (with up to 3 Candelabras) if that's your preference instead.

Only risk is I'm a bit notorious for sleeping in. Planning to go to the Invitational and haven't missed an SCG yet, but let me know if you're interested!

danyul
12-10-2014, 07:53 PM
^^

If borrows are required from this schlub, I'll be sure to wake his ass up on time. I also have no problem being a borrow mule.

It's nice to feel wanted.

Di
12-10-2014, 09:50 PM
Thanks a bunch everyone! I know it's last minute, but this has been a last minute issue sadly. I appreciate the support.

Given the environment I'd prefer something other than High Tide; not fun facing Cruise.dec every round.

If I miss Containment Priest it isn the end of the world, the deck functioned well before it and can find replacements. I am just hoping for something viable. Pimps not needed, I'll take any versions.

Also fortunately the tournament doesn't do Legacy until round 5 on day one, so I'll have time to put it together before then given deck lists for it aren't needed until then as well.

Whippoorwill
12-11-2014, 03:33 AM
4 Stoneforge Mystic (pending - may have a lead on this already)
1 Umezawa's Jitte
1 Mangara of Corondor
1 Council's Judgment
2-3 Containment Priest
1 Sword of Light and Shadow
2 Grafdigger's Cage

And again if there's anyone with an actual viable deck I could otherwise borrow if I can't put this together, that works too. I can pilot literally anything.

I was the one Feline talked to about the Stoneforges. I have everything else there as well.

Alternately, if there's a deck you would prefer to play instead, message me and I'll let you know if I have everything for it (I have 40/40 Duals, 40/40 Fetches (though a friend has my Heaths currently) and most staples). I'm only going to be playing in the side events and the IQ, so I would rather you have the option of playing an optimal deck for the Invitational.

I'll be there all 3 days and will be there around the time the doors open on Friday.

Ace/Homebrew
12-11-2014, 10:00 AM
Anyone who I borrow stuff from will receive an unlimited supply of high fives.
I wish I could loan you stuff just to make you regret this promise. :tongue:

http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/heraldextra.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/7/0c/70cc9994-5c6c-11e3-8baf-0019bb2963f4/529e5eda166e3.preview-620.gif

Good luck!

Klazam
12-11-2014, 03:44 PM
I can offer my dredge deck if wanted

Star|Scream
12-11-2014, 04:52 PM
I can offer my dredge deck if wanted

No, he said he wanted a magic deck. Dredge is not "real" magic.

Klazam
12-11-2014, 04:53 PM
#hatersgonnahate

most fun deck in the format

phazonmutant
12-11-2014, 05:28 PM
I have all of that too. I'll double check with Danyul and ESG to see what they're missing. Any interest in playing The Cure? I have playsets of Russian Kavu Predators and signed Russian Dark Confidants itching to be played.

Di
12-11-2014, 06:58 PM
Just an update but between Wipporwill and ESG/Danyul I should be all set. Huge thanks to everyone who was offering to help!

And I'm still willing to give unlimited high fives, I'm fucking excellent at them.

Klazam
12-11-2014, 07:27 PM
glad to hear that!

Klazam
12-13-2014, 11:51 PM
OMG grats. top8-ing with a borrowed deck. thats incredible+awesome

Oh, just a 7-1 and not a T8

STILL awesome

Di
12-14-2014, 03:50 PM
Want to give a huge thank you to everyone who helped me out here, you guys are great. And seriously, feel free to PM me your PayPal address, I'm happy to spread some love there.

It was the first time I ever played Death and Taxes and I loved it, and the first time I played a creature/non-combo deck in a Legacy event in over three years. Awkward shit. But the deck ran very well and I played it tight (barring two obnoxiously uncharacteristic punts in my round 16 match vs. Tom Ross where I tried to gift him the match g2 and g3). The matchups were insane, I slaughtered Volcanic Islands the entire time. Most games weren't even close. Only loss was to the Countertop Stoneblade guy who made top8, and the loss came to his last turn desperation Ponder shuffle into Swords to Plowshares, his only out in the deck. That kept me out of top8.

Standard was another story as that was an ever-changing barrage of land screw and drawing 19 lands. But I can't complain from the result having lost the first round on both days.

H
12-15-2014, 10:14 PM
Congrats on the finish, I'm glad you got the cards. I wasn't in Seattle, so I couldn't help this time.

However, me and a few others should be heading to the Houston SCG in February. If you are in need of cards then, just let me know. I can build just about any deck, should you need, be it Legacy, Modern, EDH, just can't afford a Standard deck.

nodahero
12-16-2014, 11:28 AM
Priceless....

" I can build just about any deck... just can't afford a Standard deck"

Congrats on the excellent performance Di!!

H
12-16-2014, 11:53 AM
Priceless....

" I can build just about any deck... just can't afford a Standard deck"

Congrats on the excellent performance Di!!

It's a running joke with my friends, but I'm not kidding, I can build any Vintage deck with zero proxies but I can't afford to play Standard.

Di
12-16-2014, 12:36 PM
Congrats on the finish, I'm glad you got the cards. I wasn't in Seattle, so I couldn't help this time.

However, me and a few others should be heading to the Houston SCG in February. If you are in need of cards then, just let me know. I can build just about any deck, should you need, be it Legacy, Modern, EDH, just can't afford a Standard deck.

Thank you very much! Though I do own Standard cards, and I'll only be there to play the Standard Open, so it won't be needed. But I appreciate the sentiment nonetheless.

H
12-16-2014, 12:45 PM
Thank you very much! Though I do own Standard cards, and I'll only be there to play the Standard Open, so it won't be needed. But I appreciate the sentiment nonetheless.

No problem. If for some reason you change your mind just throw me a message.

Einherjer
12-17-2014, 07:01 AM
Thank you very much! Though I do own Standard cards, and I'll only be there to play the Standard Open, so it won't be needed. But I appreciate the sentiment nonetheless.

A Mod/Admin on TheSource that only plays the Standard Open? What has the world come to?

Greetings

Di
12-17-2014, 09:12 AM
A Mod/Admin on TheSource that only plays the Standard Open? What has the world come to?

Greetings

Tell it to SCG and the death of Legacy support (especially in Texas; three Standard Opens in ~two months) while you can run through what is essentially a GP instead. Though to be fair, I play far more of other formats than I do Legacy these days given I'm trying to get back on the Pro Tour.

Koby
12-17-2014, 10:41 AM
Want to give a huge thank you to everyone who helped me out here, you guys are great. And seriously, feel free to PM me your PayPal address, I'm happy to spread some love there.

It was the first time I ever played Death and Taxes and I loved it, and the first time I played a creature/non-combo deck in a Legacy event in over three years. Awkward shit. But the deck ran very well and I played it tight (barring two obnoxiously uncharacteristic punts in my round 16 match vs. Tom Ross where I tried to gift him the match g2 and g3). The matchups were insane, I slaughtered Volcanic Islands the entire time. Most games weren't even close. Only loss was to the Countertop Stoneblade guy who made top8, and the loss came to his last turn desperation Ponder shuffle into Swords to Plowshares, his only out in the deck. That kept me out of top8.

Standard was another story as that was an ever-changing barrage of land screw and drawing 19 lands. But I can't complain from the result having lost the first round on both days.

Nice run.

I also lost to CB/Stoneblade guy on G3 when he flipped his last 3CMC off a blind CB trigger to counter my KotR. It was the TNN he needed to punch in for exactly lethal too. Super tilting. :/
He must have been running super hot with Legacy.

Di
12-17-2014, 01:21 PM
Nice run.

I also lost to CB/Stoneblade guy on G3 when he flipped his last 3CMC off a blind CB trigger to counter my KotR. It was the TNN he needed to punch in for exactly lethal too. Super tilting. :/
He must have been running super hot with Legacy.

That guy triple FoW'd in the first four turns of game one, followed by a turn five TNN off the top. He followed that with three consecutive blind flips with Counterbalance that game. To start the match that way, only to rebound but then lose off a Ponder shuffle was tilting as fuck.

To say that guy ran hot was an understatement. But he got the top8, so good for him.

lordofthepit
12-17-2014, 01:27 PM
A Mod/Admin on TheSource that only plays the Standard Open? What has the world come to?

Greetings

The Source: Your Source for Irony

majikal
12-20-2014, 10:44 AM
I'd have been shuffling the everloving fuck out of that guy's deck every time he touched it if he ran that hot against me.