PDA

View Full Version : Which Brainstorm artwork?



death
01-30-2015, 07:54 PM
I used to prefer Christopher Rush artwork (because Black Lotus). Which one do you dig the most?


Ice Age: Brainstorm printing=6070
Mercadian Masques: Brainstorm printing=6071
Conspiracy: Brainstorm printing=24773

Dice_Box
01-30-2015, 08:10 PM
Always the original, love that Ice age frame and art.

death
01-30-2015, 08:24 PM
Very true. As I'm typing this, these two popped into my head though: Cunning Wish and Stifle. I think I prefer the newer art on these.

Dice_Box
01-30-2015, 08:40 PM
No old Stifle, that flavour text.

Kanti
01-30-2015, 08:40 PM
Mercadian Masques art for sure. There is a certain flavor of art in that set, and I happen to like that flavor very much. Ice Age art is too cartooney for me. Also the old Cunning Wish is sick, it's so blue. I dig the mono-chromatic effect of the original Cunning Wish much more than some lady with a sword.

thecrav
01-30-2015, 09:21 PM
If you like signatures, definitely not the Masques art :/

phonics
01-30-2015, 10:53 PM
IA one is more artistic, MM one is more illustrative. Both are conceptually similar but I like the IA one because it is more iconic I think.

(nameless one)
01-30-2015, 11:14 PM
The guy on the IA art looks like he could use fiber in his diet.

Julian23
01-31-2015, 02:33 AM
Old frame always wins out vs any ugly new frame. It's like 3x more colorful and looks like an actual Magic card.

For the artwork, I really like the style of all the MM cards. Even though a lot of its cards suck, the set itself is super flavor- and beautiful. Bonus: comes in foil.

meffeo
01-31-2015, 02:57 AM
MM all day long. Iconic illustration and stunning flavor: was used to quote it back in the days when diggin' for three.

guillemnicolau
01-31-2015, 03:02 AM
If you like signatures, definitely not the Masques art :/

Di Terlizzi signs by mail, but yes, sending 4 foil MM brainstorms is only for the brave..

Quasim0ff
01-31-2015, 03:12 AM
MM art without hesitation.

The artwork is so sublime, on that one, imo.

Dice_Box
01-31-2015, 03:17 AM
What about the new one printed online? What do people think of it? I think it looks too literal and all round crap.

Bobmans
01-31-2015, 04:07 AM
The conspiracy artwork is awesome. If only the conspiracy Swords to Plowshares where more nice. Currently i am using matching Coldsnap Brainstorms and Swords to Plowshares. Like those better then any previous versions.

Sloshthedark
01-31-2015, 07:39 AM
Ice Age - not close, best flavour text, old frame

Quasim0ff
01-31-2015, 07:53 AM
Ice Age - not close, best flavour text, old frame
Disagree with artwork, agree with flavour text. That one's insane.

kiblast
01-31-2015, 08:41 AM
MM of course. The original art by Rush is awful in my opinion. This is one of the very few cases where a reprint with a different art is more iconic and immediately linkable to the card itself than the original print. No wonder why, Diterlizzi's piece is far superior.

barcode
01-31-2015, 09:56 AM
Ice Age for when I get to play four. Foil conspiracy for Vintage where it's restricted.

Christopher Rush's Brainstorm clearly has the best art being old frame and original. Conspiracy has the next best artwork and its foils aren't a million dollars.

from Cairo
01-31-2015, 03:50 PM
Art preference I think the Masques ones are better. That said I only own/play the original Ice Age ones.

dsck
01-31-2015, 09:16 PM
Masques was my first set when I started mtg and as others mentioned that set had nice art/flavor feel to it (even if the cards were bad).


Oh and conspiracy version has the appropriate amount of votes!

Bed Decks Palyer
01-31-2015, 10:51 PM
The guy on the IA art looks like he could use fiber in his diet.

Dark Ritual
02-01-2015, 02:19 AM
There's an actual storm going on in the IA art so I like that one more. MM art is definitely good though as there's a reason the GPNJ playmat commands that price tag. Conspiracy just isn't allowed in the discussion.

Amon Amarth
02-01-2015, 02:57 AM
IA version, of course. Classic. I like the MM too, which contrasts very well with the original. One is calm and the other dynamic, exciting.

GoblinSettler
02-01-2015, 02:28 PM
Masques Brainstorm is lovely and looks perfect next to Masques Counterspell. MM and Ice Age are two of my favorite sets though, so I do have a fondness for the Ice Age Brainstorm as well. I tend to play the Ice Age printing in combo decks and the Masques in control.

lsho
02-01-2015, 02:47 PM
I don't like the IA artwork at all. I think its execution is poor and I guess it fitted yesterdays standards of artworks, but not todays. But that's OK. The IA version still has loads of flair because the blue border somehow looks deeper than the MM artworks? At least that's why I sleeve the IA ones up. I like the look of the borders and I also play IA Swords to Plowshares.

Artwork-wise, MM is just so good. It's very well executed and brings me memories from when I bought my first magic cards. I never played blue back in the days and as I did not have any old Brainstorms left from then, I figure I never opened one or traded them away... love the art but the slightly lighter blue border turns me a bit off. The quote on it is also very good. When I re-started playing around Kamigawa/Mirrodin, I played Scepter/Chant and I played a set of 4 Chinese MM Brainstorms. As this still is my favourite deck ever, I always sleeve those up when I sleeve up my Chinese Ponders. They go rather well together.

The Conspiracy/Izzet one is very good, execution-wise but it lacks the old school legacy flair for me. I play with them as my third play set I use when I already have 2 Brainstorm decks built-up. :)

Sloshthedark
02-01-2015, 06:23 PM
IA version, of course. Classic. I like the MM too, which contrasts very well with the original. One is calm and the other dynamic, exciting.

also I good point