thefringthing
03-08-2016, 12:35 PM
6-7 in matches overall, scrubbing out of two scheduled 5-round Swiss events, dying in round one of an eight-player single elim, and splitting the finals of another single elim to get that sweet Spellskite mat. Did much better with ANT than with UR Landstill. (Playing Landstill for the first time completely cold may have had something to do with it.)
Props:
Lafayette Coney Island
Slow's Barbecue
Dark Ritual
Competent tournament organization from PES
Spellskite side event playmat
Generous side event draft prize structure
Getting to talk to Aaron Forsythe a bit about the state of Legacy
CatTribal for driving us down
Janitorial staff at the Cobo Center keeping those washrooms incredibly clean
Dan Bock for having some of the dankest miscut dual lands I have ever laid eyes uponš
Personal Tutor
Responding to Invigorate with Sudden Shock
Getting Caleb Scherer to sign a Past in Flames to go with my Tendrils (Ari Lax), Grapeshot (Bryant Cook), and Goblin Charbelcher (Drew Levin)
Slops:
American Coney Island
Missing Bill Clinton at Slow's
Chalice of the Void
Stingy non-draft side event prize structures
Saltiest opponent I've ever had to play against˛
Regular REL for scheduled side events
Dollar bills, pennies, money that's all the same colour, brutal exchange rate
Thought-Knot Seer
Getting triple Stone Rained by a Pithing Needle because I'm a stone cold idiot
Notes:
1. Revised Volcs with four cards visible.
2. Story: He won the roll, went to six, scryed, and said "Go". I drew, played a land and said go. He realized he was on the play, got mad, called a judge, saw no judge anywhere nearby, said "that's fine you can have it", then proceeded to play as aggressively and intimidatingly as possible, with plenty of passive-aggressive banter/trash talk. What a loser.
Saturday 5-Round Swiss Event with ANT (http://pastebin.com/raw/QPgMeUV9):
Round 1 vs Goblins
Game one he makes a Thalia, I try to go off through it when I'm dead on board and don't get there. I don't think I actually had any outs. Games two and three I kill him with Past in Flames after he fails to get his hate piece on the battlefield soon enough.
Round 2 vs Enlightened Tutor Miracles
He gets me in three. The one I won was with the maindeck Empty the Warrens. Game three I made a Sphinx when I was low on life after being beaten down by Ethersworn Canonist after many turns. He had some answer for it but I don't recall what it was.
Round 3 vs Burn
Game one I get him with a tutor chain. Game two I Tendrils him down to 3 and me to 18 through an Eidolon, locking him out of most spells, but he kills me with his Eidolon and a Fireblast before I could reload. Game three I get him with a tutor chain again.
Round 4 vs Lands
Game one he kills me with a sea monster, game two he has a Chalice but I kill him with Ad Nauseam anyway, game three he makes a Chalice on turn one and I never find anything to beat it.
Round 5 vs MUD
Game one I get him with Past in Flames, games two and three he locks me out with Lodestone Golems, Chalices of the Void, etc.
8-Player Single Elimination Event 1 with UR Landstill (http://pastebin.com/raw/fAD83zjR):
Round 1 vs Lands
I win game one, he makes a speedy Marit Lage game two, game three he draws enough Stages to end up with more manlands than me, forcing me to break my own Standstill. I don't find any Wastelands.
8-Player Single Elimination Event 2 with ANT:
Round 1 vs Miracles
See story above. Game two I flipped Sphinx to Ad Naus but still got there by cantripping at 1 life.
Round 2 vs Sneak & Show
Game one I take away his Force of Will and kill him with Past in Flames. Game two I take away his Flusterstorm and kill him somehow.
Round 3 vs Goblins
We agree to split, he mulligans to five in game one and dies, scoops game two to go do something else.
Sunday 5-Round Swiss Event with UR Landstill:
Round 1 vs Eldrazi
I get run the fuck over by giant monsters.
Round 2 vs Infect.
This guy had Beta Trops, which was pretty dank. I won the first one with a timely Sudden Shock in response to an Invigorate. Game two he has the stone nuts and I die on turn two after attempting to Bolt a Glistener Elf on my turn one and failing. Game three I Needle his Inkmoth Nexuses and keep him off coloured mana for long enough to be loaded up on removal and countermagic. I chip away at him with a Faerie Conclave and finally burn him out.
Round 3 vs Dredge
Fairly traditional LED Dredge with Elesh Norn, Iona, and some dumb BR dragon from a newish set. I have no real hope in game one. Game two I manage to keep from doing anything by blowing a Relic, then Extracting his Dredger after he drew up to 8, then flashing back the Extraction with Snapcaster on his next Dredger. Game three I needle Coliseum and keep him from doing anything for a while. He eventually blows up my Needle and dredges almost his whole deck on his end step. I have one turn to rip Relic and fail to do so.
Round 4 vs Eldrazi 12-Post
Game one he Stirs up a giant space alien and casts a Show and Tell I can't counter. Game two I make and idiotic play mistake involving a Pithing Needle and three Scalding Tarns, and proceed to die to Thought-Knot Seer/Reality Smasher or whatever.
Props:
Lafayette Coney Island
Slow's Barbecue
Dark Ritual
Competent tournament organization from PES
Spellskite side event playmat
Generous side event draft prize structure
Getting to talk to Aaron Forsythe a bit about the state of Legacy
CatTribal for driving us down
Janitorial staff at the Cobo Center keeping those washrooms incredibly clean
Dan Bock for having some of the dankest miscut dual lands I have ever laid eyes uponš
Personal Tutor
Responding to Invigorate with Sudden Shock
Getting Caleb Scherer to sign a Past in Flames to go with my Tendrils (Ari Lax), Grapeshot (Bryant Cook), and Goblin Charbelcher (Drew Levin)
Slops:
American Coney Island
Missing Bill Clinton at Slow's
Chalice of the Void
Stingy non-draft side event prize structures
Saltiest opponent I've ever had to play against˛
Regular REL for scheduled side events
Dollar bills, pennies, money that's all the same colour, brutal exchange rate
Thought-Knot Seer
Getting triple Stone Rained by a Pithing Needle because I'm a stone cold idiot
Notes:
1. Revised Volcs with four cards visible.
2. Story: He won the roll, went to six, scryed, and said "Go". I drew, played a land and said go. He realized he was on the play, got mad, called a judge, saw no judge anywhere nearby, said "that's fine you can have it", then proceeded to play as aggressively and intimidatingly as possible, with plenty of passive-aggressive banter/trash talk. What a loser.
Saturday 5-Round Swiss Event with ANT (http://pastebin.com/raw/QPgMeUV9):
Round 1 vs Goblins
Game one he makes a Thalia, I try to go off through it when I'm dead on board and don't get there. I don't think I actually had any outs. Games two and three I kill him with Past in Flames after he fails to get his hate piece on the battlefield soon enough.
Round 2 vs Enlightened Tutor Miracles
He gets me in three. The one I won was with the maindeck Empty the Warrens. Game three I made a Sphinx when I was low on life after being beaten down by Ethersworn Canonist after many turns. He had some answer for it but I don't recall what it was.
Round 3 vs Burn
Game one I get him with a tutor chain. Game two I Tendrils him down to 3 and me to 18 through an Eidolon, locking him out of most spells, but he kills me with his Eidolon and a Fireblast before I could reload. Game three I get him with a tutor chain again.
Round 4 vs Lands
Game one he kills me with a sea monster, game two he has a Chalice but I kill him with Ad Nauseam anyway, game three he makes a Chalice on turn one and I never find anything to beat it.
Round 5 vs MUD
Game one I get him with Past in Flames, games two and three he locks me out with Lodestone Golems, Chalices of the Void, etc.
8-Player Single Elimination Event 1 with UR Landstill (http://pastebin.com/raw/fAD83zjR):
Round 1 vs Lands
I win game one, he makes a speedy Marit Lage game two, game three he draws enough Stages to end up with more manlands than me, forcing me to break my own Standstill. I don't find any Wastelands.
8-Player Single Elimination Event 2 with ANT:
Round 1 vs Miracles
See story above. Game two I flipped Sphinx to Ad Naus but still got there by cantripping at 1 life.
Round 2 vs Sneak & Show
Game one I take away his Force of Will and kill him with Past in Flames. Game two I take away his Flusterstorm and kill him somehow.
Round 3 vs Goblins
We agree to split, he mulligans to five in game one and dies, scoops game two to go do something else.
Sunday 5-Round Swiss Event with UR Landstill:
Round 1 vs Eldrazi
I get run the fuck over by giant monsters.
Round 2 vs Infect.
This guy had Beta Trops, which was pretty dank. I won the first one with a timely Sudden Shock in response to an Invigorate. Game two he has the stone nuts and I die on turn two after attempting to Bolt a Glistener Elf on my turn one and failing. Game three I Needle his Inkmoth Nexuses and keep him off coloured mana for long enough to be loaded up on removal and countermagic. I chip away at him with a Faerie Conclave and finally burn him out.
Round 3 vs Dredge
Fairly traditional LED Dredge with Elesh Norn, Iona, and some dumb BR dragon from a newish set. I have no real hope in game one. Game two I manage to keep from doing anything by blowing a Relic, then Extracting his Dredger after he drew up to 8, then flashing back the Extraction with Snapcaster on his next Dredger. Game three I needle Coliseum and keep him from doing anything for a while. He eventually blows up my Needle and dredges almost his whole deck on his end step. I have one turn to rip Relic and fail to do so.
Round 4 vs Eldrazi 12-Post
Game one he Stirs up a giant space alien and casts a Show and Tell I can't counter. Game two I make and idiotic play mistake involving a Pithing Needle and three Scalding Tarns, and proceed to die to Thought-Knot Seer/Reality Smasher or whatever.