PDA

View Full Version : [Announcement] Black Lotus & Time Walk Sept. 9th in Flint, MI

emidln
08-09-2006, 10:11 AM
I'm happy to announce that the Kettering Gaming Society will be hosting a Legacy tournament with a guaranteed prize of a Unlimited Black Lotus to first place, and a Unlimited Time Walk to second place on September 9, 2006. The tournament will be sanctioned Legacy format with a $20 entry fee. If more than 40 players register, we will award prizes to as much of the remainder of the top 8 as possible, but the Lotus and Time Walk are guaranteed for any number of particpants, 8 or 100. Rounds will be swiss and depend on the number of players registering. There will be a cut to top 8 after the final round.

What: Black Lotus, Time Walk Legacy Tournament
When: Noon, September 9th (Registration starts at 11am)
Where: International Room on the 5th Floor of Kettering University's Campus Center (1700 W. 3rd, Flint, MI 48504)

Directions: See Google Maps for your location to 1700 W. 3rd, Flint, MI 48504 (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=1700+W+3rd+Ave,+Flint,+MI+48504&ie=UTF8&om=1&ll=43.013497,-83.712559&spn=0.028492,0.086432). There is a parking lot in the rear of the dorms (on the same block as the Campus Center), accessible by side road on 3rd St. There will be signs posted and possibly people on hand to direct you.

There will be several dealers on hand that you can purchase cards from if need be, as well as side events if enough people are interested.

If you need more information, feel free to contact me on AIM, Yahoo, or MSN, or by email. My contact information is in my profile.

Let's make this the biggest Legacy event the midwest has seen yet! Hope to see everyone there!

umbowta
08-09-2006, 11:51 AM
Hell yeah! I'm so in on this one.

I'd really like to see a few of you guys from Syracuse and Rochester show up for this. It's only about a 5 hour drive if you cruise across Canada and into Michigan at the Blue Water Bridge.

Jander78
08-09-2006, 04:13 PM
Hmm....I think it's more of a 7-8hr drive from Syracuse. But still, this is definately one to consider. Man. I'm glad to see all these great tournaments starting to show up for the Legacy format.

Michael Keller
08-09-2006, 04:48 PM
Where: International Room on the 5th Floor of Kettering University's Campus Center (1700 W. 3rd, Flint, MI 48504)

I graduated from Binghamton University and that school had some amazingly hot women. I hope the same is true here. I will totally go to this and party downtown afterwards...

That is...of course...there are places to party?...

cupajoe
08-09-2006, 09:50 PM
Great, a Legacy tournament in my backyard....I have babysitting issues on that day, but I'll try hard to work them out and be there....

I just would like you to think hard about the prize structure and the entry fee

The entry fee, at $20, is too much IMHO....I think $10 would be much better....

The way it's structured now, it's high-risk, high-reward, and that's not going to attract most of the players in Michigan who might consider a Legacy tourney....The half-step above the kitchen table players....

I think having the prizes so front-loaded to first and second place could make for a very uncomfortable, rules-lawyering Swiss rounds, as players are desperate to make Top 8 and have a shot at the Lotus....A more relaxed atmosphere will bring back the casual players to future tournaments (No. 1 complaint of why people don't play in more tournaments....because they ran into some asshole at a tourney who took the game too seriously)

I would encourage good prizes...Dual Lands, perhaps, or Force of Wills, Survival of the Fittest or cash or gift certificates to card shops....Make first and second place signifcantly more than the rest of the Top 8, but not a gargantuan amount more

If I'm a casual player, I'm thinking I have a reasonable shot at Top 8, but not a very reasonable shot of 1st/2nd....Why discourage them from playing?....If I make Top 8, I want to at least get my entry fee back in prizes.....

Let's also be realistic about who is coming to the tourney....It's Michigan folks....People are not going to spend $3 per gallon on gas to drive 8-10 hours to Flint....Sorry, just not happening....

Maybe, if you're really lucky, you'll get some folks from Ohio, but I would spend most of my marketing efforts at local card shops, Ryder's etc...and southeast Michigan....Get the local people there....There's a good 15-25 people who play for fun every week at shops in Flint and Millington (maybe others, too)....

Good luck....I'm sorry for the criticism, but I've seen lots of tournaments flop, and a bad prize structure is one of the main reasons...

Caboose
08-10-2006, 03:09 AM
Yeah, because a Lotus sure is a shit prize :laugh:

I'm coming up from Columbus for this one. It's on my girlfriend's birthday, though, so I'm going to have to buy her some shiny jewelry to distract her so I can go. :tongue:

umbowta
08-10-2006, 01:28 PM
Hmm....I think it's more of a 7-8hr drive from Syracuse. But still, this is definately one to consider. Man. I'm glad to see all these great tournaments starting to show up for the Legacy format.
Come on Jander. Put down the walker and grab the steering wheel. I just did approximately that same drive last week wednesday in 6.5 hours, with two kids, in a minivan. Some speeding is necessary. The only thing I worry about now is tightened security at the border...liquid explosives and stuff. Still, the best time to cross the border is in the middle of the night.

I too am glad to see all these great tournaments popping up. It's really nice that this one is pretty close to me for a change.

If anyone wants to stay in the Westland/Livonia area and ride up to Flint in the morning, I have room for six passengers. I'm sure a couple of those will be claimed already by my 'team' but there's still room. LMK

Jander78
08-10-2006, 02:48 PM
Come on Jander. Put down the walker and grab the steering wheel. I just did approximately that same drive last week wednesday in 6.5 hours, with two kids, in a minivan. Some speeding is necessary. The only thing I worry about now is tightened security at the border...liquid explosives and stuff. Still, the best time to cross the border is in the middle of the night.

I too am glad to see all these great tournaments popping up. It's really nice that this one is pretty close to me for a change.

If anyone wants to stay in the Westland/Livonia area and ride up to Flint in the morning, I have room for six passengers. I'm sure a couple of those will be claimed already by my 'team' but there's still room. LMK
Haha....I didn't say I wasn't coming. I have a tentative date where I will be out of town (southeast) and will not make it up there, but if that falls through, there is a possibility of a car from Syracuse coming up and raping MI of it's precious power.

cupajoe
08-12-2006, 09:47 PM
OK, another humble suggestion (last one, I promise)

If you get, say, 25 or more players, do a cut to the Top 16 for the playoffs (still only give out prizes to Top 8, though)

I like that because you get less people dropping out of the Swiss rounds, and you hold more of the players' interest for longer into the tourney if they know they've got a shot at Top 16

dre4m
08-14-2006, 02:56 PM
Well, this will be a nice disctraction three days after school starts again for umbotwa and myself. I'll be there! And I WON'T be playing Angel Stompy!!!

emidln
08-14-2006, 05:10 PM
There won't be profit off of this tournament. After we pay for the Lotus, Time Walk, and judges, all of the rest of the money is put into top4, then top8. Since we can't profit, the more people you bring, the better the prizes get, and the further down the ladder they go. We might consider a top16, however. It could cause a lot of people to become angry about tiebreakers, much moreso than if only 8 get in because the line between X-1s and X-1-1s is pretty clear, but how about the 10 X-2s? DCI Reporter will screw people if we do top16, so we'll have to consult with the judges on how they think it would be best. As is, we're planning Swiss rounds with a cut to top8.

MrBig
08-24-2006, 03:35 AM
There will be 1-2 Cars from Milwaukee and probably 1 car from Chicago coming to this thing. Top16 would cause too much of a headache unless there were more than 128 players due to the number of rounds increasing once reaching 128.

cupajoe
08-24-2006, 10:43 AM
OK, maybe I'm not getting something

I've been at tourneys (20 to 30 person attendance) where they cut to Top 16, and it didn't seem to cause any problems....

Isn't it just the same criteria as cutting to Top 8, except extrapolating that out to 16?.....

And if there are tiebreaker problems, wouldn't the tiebreaker problems also exist for Top 8....I mean, you're using the same formula, right?

My reasoning was that with a lotus on the line, finishing 9th would really suck, but finishing 17th, well, you can't really bitch about that.....If you're 16th, you would be grateful to just have a shot at it....

Whatever you do is fine with me....

emidln
08-24-2006, 02:09 PM
I received the Unlimited Black Lotus a few days ago and it is in very good shape. I'll try to post some scans of it if I can find a scanner. The Time Walk is still in the mail.

I was asked by the store that is organizing all of the judges, paperwork, etc. to inform everyone that there will be booster drafts run all day as slots fill up for people who drop/don't play.

herbig
08-24-2006, 02:16 PM
Man, I would love to come to this, but being between the mana leak and Power 9 Boston, I may be magically and financially drained.

Carlos El Salvador
08-27-2006, 11:37 PM
4 People from the lakeshore area will be there fho shizzo.

Kilz88
09-03-2006, 12:49 AM
C.H.U.M will be there. 5 out of 6 members. Good luck to everyone and happy testing!

M.Maddox
09-03-2006, 02:24 AM
Sure wish you guys would post about these tournament 1 or 2 months in advance, so those that don't live near by could plan to fly in for them.

umbowta
09-03-2006, 11:20 AM
Sure wish you guys would post about these tournament 1 or 2 months in advance, so those that don't live near by could plan to fly in for them.

This was announced August 9th. That is exactly one month in advance isn't it? I was under the assumption that the announcement came as soon as plans were finalized.

emidln, you didn't hold the info back at all did you?

emidln
09-03-2006, 01:01 PM
This was announced August 9th. That is exactly one month in advance isn't it? I was under the assumption that the announcement came as soon as plans were finalized.

emidln, you didn't hold the info back at all did you?

We announced as soon as we had everything finalized. We were working on it for 2 months in advance, but we didn't announce until we had guaranteed rooms, judges, prizes, etc. In the future (if this one turns out well), we'll try to get word out at least 2 months in advance, maybe 3 (as much as we could do with myself as a college student doing the initial organizing).

I personally feel that it's a little short notice, but I'm happy with the full month timespan. I don't think it would have been responsible to announce an event that we didn't even have a room/prize/judges for. I'm sorry if some people can't make it because there wasn't enough notice. We'll get you guys next time (I hope).

emidln
09-08-2006, 09:14 AM
Bump, this is tomorrow. Anyone else planning on showing up?

Nightmare
09-08-2006, 09:16 AM
Frowntown.

Last weekend: The Mana Leak Open.
Next weekend: SCG Boston
This weekend: If I'm not home my gf will murder me in my sleep.

emidln
09-08-2006, 09:21 AM
Frowntown.

Last weekend: The Mana Leak Open.
Next weekend: SCG Boston
This weekend: If I'm not home my gf will murder me in my sleep.

Do you need to be alive to sling magical cards?

Nightmare
09-08-2006, 09:24 AM
Do you need to be alive to sling magical cards?It helps.

umbowta
09-10-2006, 12:21 AM
41 people showed. Top 8 was thus:

1. Ravager Affinity (Phil Cape)
2. Ravager Affinity (John Wilkerson)
3. UBW Fish (Krzymoose)
4. Goblins (Stephen Boggemes)
5. UGW Threshold (me)
6. Ravager Affinity (Kyle Boggemes)
7. Goblins w/green splash (Nate Hully)
8. RG Survival (Nam Tran)

I went 8-0 in games played (I conceded one game to Kilz88 to help his tiebreakers if he won out) in the first 4 rounds, ID'ed rounds 5 and 6, only to have my deck take a crap on me in top 8 versus Wilkerson. Pande and RIW represented hardcore; placing 2 players each in the top 8. Go us! RIW took home the Lotus and the Walk.

I'm going to sleep now. Maybe I'll put together a report if a find the inspiration somewhere between Statisics and Diff Eq homework...I actually took match notes this time. I hope emidln picked up the T8 decklists from the H.J. I'm not driving back out to Flint to get them.

Shriekmaw
09-11-2006, 01:04 PM

3. UBW Fish (Krzymoose)
5. UGW Threshold (me)

I'm glad to see Vial Affinity doing well, maybe the Legacy community will consider this deck as a real contender in the format and possible a deck to beat. The only bad matchups generally for the deck are combo decks. I was very pleased to see multiple Affinity decks in the top 8.

Go Artifacts!!

Getsickanddie
09-11-2006, 02:19 PM

3. UBW Fish (Krzymoose)
5. UGW Threshold (me)

Three Ravager Affinity decks, and a fish deck in top 8! This has to be my favorite tournament result ever.

umbowta
09-13-2006, 12:28 PM
I'm glad to see Vial Affinity doing well, maybe the Legacy community will consider this deck as a real contender in the format and possible a deck to beat. The only bad matchups generally for the deck are combo decks. I was very pleased to see multiple Affinity decks in the top 8.

Go Artifacts!!Who said anything about Vials? As a matter of fact, I don't recall seeing a single vial come out of either of those top two decks. Hmmmm, I wonder what they were using instead? Then again, just because I didn't see it, doesn't mean they weren't there. Is this all a ruse to cover up some secret tech. I must investigate.

Shriekmaw
09-13-2006, 01:36 PM
Who said anything about Vials? As a matter of fact, I don't recall seeing a single vial come out of either of those top two decks. Hmmmm, I wonder what they were using instead? Then again, just because I didn't see it, doesn't mean they weren't there. Is this all a ruse to cover up some secret tech. I must investigate.

I haven't seen the decklists of the Top 8 in regards to the Affinity builds. I just assume that they did use Vial, since its one of the better cards in the deck. To not run Vial in my opinion is just not smart. I always call Affinity, Vial Affinity because thats what it is, not Ravager Affinity like a lot of people call it.

If you play vial in the deck then it should be called Vial Affinity, just like Vial Goblins.

umbowta
09-21-2006, 02:24 PM
It turns out that one of them was running vials while the other was not. Below is a link for the top8 decklists as well as commentary by the first and second place players.

http://www.themanadrain.com/index.php?topic=30191.0

What I do remember is that both of them ran Lotus Petal, which, incidentally, turned Daze into an absolute pile.