PDA

View Full Version : Maro's sillyness.

to1701
08-28-2006, 04:16 PM
Just Teasing – Finally, I'm happy to announce that I've decided to start up an old tradition. Back in “Insider Trading” one of my old Duelist columns, I used to give a hint of the upcoming set by teasing you with a few pieces of information. These little nuggets were almost always incomplete and heavy on the teasing, but readers used to love them. I've had numerous people ask for me to start doing them again (including Scott), so I've decided to play along. Here, my faithful readers, are a few things that you'll find in Time Spiral:

an angel that costs two mana (yes, that angel, and no she's not some wimpy 2/2)
a female legend that players have been begging us to do for a long time
a new hermit with a love of tokens and an old keyword (but not the same one)
a direct damage spell that can do 5 damage for a single red mana
a new Lotus (oh wait, you've already seen that one)
a Power Nine card with buyback
a card with the word “squirrel” in its rules text
a legend who uttered one of the most popular lines of flavor text of all time
and a cycle of artifact mana sources that turn into creatures from the Reserved List
And finally, a few juicy card names for you to chew on:

Liege of the Pit
Magus of the Candelabra
Stuffy Doll
Vesuvan Shapeshifter
Wheel of Fate

A power nine card with buyback? There is so much speculation on this, it's not even funny. We already have a power 9 with suspend , (lotus blossom) and it sucks so what's that tell ya?

Wheel of Fate? Does it sound red to you? Fate part is interesting. Thank god it's not a coin flip card, coin = 0 in the OOI. (Orb of insight)

Stuffy Doll? Is that like Little Girl?

Liege of the Pit, another Timmy card.

Magus of the Candelbra, hmmmmmmmmmmmm is all I have for this one.

Vesuvian Shapeshifter, sounds like it'll have a "twist" based on the doppleganger. I am assuming she? will be a blue card.

JeremM
08-28-2006, 04:45 PM
Stuffy Doll's the doll from Rack/Cursed Rack/Black Vise/that card that game swampwalk. Dunno what it'll do; it'll probably get the absolute shit beaten out of it though (maybe prevent all damage dealt to it?).

I'm glad Jaya Ballard's making a comeback (assuming the flavor text is from Incinerate).

The P9 card is either a super-expensive Draw3 or something along the lines of Temporal Cascade. They'll never print a Time Walk/Warp/Stretch with buyback as it would allow decks to accelerate into the mana and easily win.

quicksilver
08-28-2006, 04:50 PM
The P9 card is either a super-expensive Draw3.

Yeah I fully expect it to be like draw three for 6 mana, buyback of 4 or something.

Like whispers of the muse, only more mana and 3 cards drawn.

Fortifitakitors
08-28-2006, 07:14 PM

Are you bringing back Goblin Grenade?

Bane of the Living
08-28-2006, 07:23 PM
Im guessing it has Suspend. But for how much? 3 would be playable. As for the flashback power card Im extremely certain that this is a Timewalk. Theres a picture from Gencon where the skeleton looking dudes on Timewalk are pushing a penduelum.

Caboose
08-28-2006, 08:27 PM
Time Walk with Buyback is more broken than Scepter-Chanting. If you have the mana to buy it back, you take infinite turns. I promise I wil kick Matt Covatta in the balls the next time I see him if that's printed.

quicksilver
08-28-2006, 08:30 PM

Are you bringing back Goblin Grenade?

Maybe a reprint of mana clash.

DampingEngine
08-28-2006, 08:47 PM
Maybe it's Time Walk with "Buyback - Skip your next turn." But seriously, it could have a life payment as part of its buyback and then it would be a little harder to break it. Would Timetwister with buyback even work since you shuffle your hand? Seems most likely that it's another Whispers of the Muse. Or maybe it has both Suspend and Buyback, then it wouldn't really be broken no matter what it was.

Lego
08-28-2006, 10:02 PM
Maybe it's Time Walk with "Buyback - Skip your next turn."

I'd play this if it were free.

Caboose
08-29-2006, 01:11 AM
Fortunately, Covatta is going to be at the Columbus Pre-Release. I will personally have write "I am a horrible set designer" all over my playmat ;)

As for P9 with Buyback, it seems like a straight up lie unless it's something bad like:

Ancestral Uncall - U
Instant
Discard 3 cards, then draw 3 cards.
Buyback - Discard a card.

Yeah, that would be nuts in Threshold, and Tog, and a lot of Vintage decks. I dunno, it's hard to predict.

Drkdstryer
08-29-2006, 03:31 PM
It doesn't make any sense that it's Ancestral. Concentrate is just as close to being Ancestral as that card is. It makes far more sense that it would be Time Walk with an alternative buyback to make it non-broken. It would be cool to have Timetwister with buyback, but people would get far too confused with the rules most likely (the 'Twister would end up back in your hand).

It would be pretty weak if it was just a draw 3 with buyback. It wouldn't be an instant, they don't do draw 2+ as instant speed any more. So then it would be a Concentrate with buyback, not an Ancestral with buyback.

TheAardvark
08-29-2006, 05:36 PM
I'd play this if it were free.

Only if it had Storm, though.

Caboose
08-29-2006, 05:40 PM
Time Walk with a life payment is still broken. I mean, do you really want to lose to a 12 year old taking infinite turns because he put Life Burst on a Scepter? In fact, if they do print that, Intuitioning into 3 Life Bursts + Scepter + Time Walk w/ Buyback is my new favorite play.

quicksilver
08-29-2006, 05:47 PM
Time Walk with a life payment is still broken. I mean, do you really want to lose to a 12 year old taking infinite turns because he put Life Burst on a Scepter? In fact, if they do print that, Intuitioning into 3 Life Bursts + Scepter + Time Walk w/ Buyback is my new favorite play.

My god the speculation is rediculous, we are alrady coming out with combos for cards that almost certainly are not goign to be printed. For one it is just guessing that it might be time walk, then adding buyback on it for some reason, then having the buyback cost be life, then coming up with a crazy combo of intuition+lifeburst+scepter+card that doesn't exist! For all we know it could be a reprint of gilded lotus!

Lego
08-29-2006, 05:51 PM
then adding buyback on it for some reason

Here, my faithful readers, are a few things that you'll find in Time Spiral:

a Power Nine card with buyback

MasterBlaster
08-29-2006, 05:54 PM
My god the speculation is rediculous, we are alrady coming out with combos for cards that almost certainly are not goign to be printed. For one it is just guessing that it might be time walk, then adding buyback on it for some reason, then having the buyback cost be life, then coming up with a crazy combo of intuition+lifeburst+scepter+card that doesn't exist! For all we know it could be a reprint of gilded lotus!

Maro said that there will be a P9 card with buyback in Time Spiral. Reading the thread is svgtek.

Edit: LAM beat me to it.

Jander78
08-29-2006, 06:03 PM
I have a feeling we may see an overcosted Timetwister effect as the buyback spell. "Wheel of Fate" has me thinking this way.

quicksilver
08-29-2006, 06:04 PM
Ok sorry, but still, there was quite a bit of speculation going on.

MasterBlaster
08-29-2006, 06:32 PM
I have a feeling we may see an overcosted Timetwister effect as the buyback spell. "Wheel of Fate" has me thinking this way.

That can't happen because 'shuffles' doesn't show up in the orb.

We also have this to support 'time walk' as the buyback card. http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=27945&d=1155342370

JeremM
08-29-2006, 06:41 PM
I hope the buyback Time Walk (assuming that's what the art's for) sucks. I was always a huge fan of the original art, but could never get the money to buy one, much less slice one up for deckboxes. If it sucks I could blow a few bucks on it and have some great art.

Speaking of art, are the old artists like Richard Thomas and Amy Weber coming back to do more of their most famous art (Rack Doll/Stonehenge Skeletons), or is it done by the new team?

MasterBlaster
08-29-2006, 06:49 PM
Speaking of art, are the old artists like Richard Thomas and Amy Weber coming back to do more of their most famous art (Rack Doll/Stonehenge Skeletons), or is it done by the new team?

More orb of insight results:
Richard-5
Thomas-6

Amy-0
Weber-0

Caboose
08-31-2006, 07:21 PM
Holy shit! The new Time Walk reads as follows:

Walk of Aeons - http://forums.mtgnews.com/images/smilies/mana4.gifhttp://forums.mtgnews.com/images/smilies/manau.gifhttp://forums.mtgnews.com/images/smilies/manau.gif
Sorcery (R)
Target player gains an additional turn after this one.
Buyback - sacrifice three islands (You may sacrifice three islands in addition to any other costs as you play this spell. If you do, put Walk of Aeons into your hand instead of your graveyard as part of its resolution.)

Still seems busted with Loam tricks. However, I can't really think of a deck that would run it in Legacy.

MasterBlaster
08-31-2006, 07:38 PM
I can't really think of a deck that would run it in Legacy.

Turboland

scrumdogg
08-31-2006, 08:33 PM
Crucible/Loam + Exploration...never let your opponent have another turn....seems fair..... Even in Type 2, they are bringing back Crucible in 10th & Loam will be around for a while as well plus there is always some way they print to cheat extra lands into play (even if the ability is usually attached to an elf).

Whit3 Ghost
08-31-2006, 08:38 PM
Azusa in Extended.
I'm not sure what in Standard...

Moby Dick
08-31-2006, 09:17 PM
It's busted even without the silly tricks (T2), for example:

get about 12 land into play
play time walk, buyback - 9 lands
next turn play this- 6 lands
next turn play this 3 lands

thats 4 turns in a row, and with crucible out its like this

get about 12 land into play
play time walk, buyback - 9 lands
next turn play this- 6 lands, play a land- 7lands
next turn play this 4 lands, play a land - 5 lands
next turn play a land, time walk+butback- 3 lands
5th turn in a row play a land- 4 lands

thats plenty of time to bash face with a few critters

TheDarkshineKnight
08-31-2006, 09:42 PM
Holy shit! The new Time Walk reads as follows:

Walk of Aeons - http://forums.mtgnews.com/images/smilies/mana4.gifhttp://forums.mtgnews.com/images/smilies/manau.gifhttp://forums.mtgnews.com/images/smilies/manau.gif
Sorcery (R)
Target player gains an additional turn after this one.
Buyback - sacrifice three islands (You may sacrifice three islands in addition to any other costs as you play this spell. If you do, put Walk of Aeons into your hand instead of your graveyard as part of its resolution.)

Still seems busted with Loam tricks. However, I can't really think of a deck that would run it in Legacy.

I dunno? Maybe something that utilizes Life from the Loam, Exploration, and Crucible of Worlds?

JeremM
08-31-2006, 11:15 PM
Those that wanted a Solidarity hoser, your wish has come true. That SS Boomerang, assuming it doesn't have the dreaded "nonland" bit, could really frustrate Solidarity early in their combo. They won't be able to sit around until lethal damage goes on the stack anymore, since one bounced land would lose them the game (assuming it's early on). Thanks to High Tide itself, you only need one Island and one other land to use it, and if they go tap-Tide-Tide you can stop their combo with one untapped Island.

Oh, and it looks like my deckbox is going to get a bit fancier, once the chase-rare period dies down. Thanks for putting incredible art on a bad rare, WotC!

Peter_Rotten
09-01-2006, 08:03 AM
Please continue Spoiler/ Orb of Insight discussion HERE (http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4126&page=3).