PDA

View Full Version : About Starcitygames.com and a problem I encountered

Cavius The Great
09-18-2006, 02:26 PM
I recently went to the Starcitygames website and as I tried to log on, i got a message that popped up stating something about an 'unknown certificate' and if i wanted to log on. It warned me about security issues and my confidentiality being at risk. It said something on the lines of contacting a webmaster. Should I be concerned or should I log on? Has this happened to anybody else? And what should I do about it? Thanx ahead of time. Peace.

Bardo
09-18-2006, 02:38 PM
StarCity and TMD are down for maintenance and repairs. I wouldn't worry about it.

Cavius The Great
09-18-2006, 04:44 PM
StarCity and TMD are down for maintenance and repairs. I wouldn't worry about it.

It's not that, I'm able to go on the website. It's just operating under an unknown certificate on my computer. The question is, should I accept the certificate?

Bane of the Living
09-18-2006, 04:50 PM
For mtg? If your not sure about it then dont. That site sucks balls anyways.

Bardo
09-18-2006, 07:46 PM
It's not that, I'm able to go on the website. It's just operating under an unknown certificate on my computer. The question is, should I accept the certificate?

Yeah, I see what you're talking about. I'm not sure what that is, but I bet it has to do with whatever trouble they're dealing with after the upgrades. In any case, I just kept closing the dialogue box, but it is annoying. Hopefully it will go away when they have the bugs worked out.

AngryTroll
09-19-2006, 12:09 AM
Is SCGs not updating while they fix whatever the problem is? Isn't it now Tuesday on the East Coast? They are still on Friday's stuff. Wow, this looks pathetic...its 10 mintues after it should have changed. But it is Tuesday, and I noticed it yesterday too.

Drathro
09-19-2006, 09:35 AM
The pop-up I've seen relates to sales.starcitygames.com, and is a verification "certificate" meant to verify that the site you are at is the site it claims to be.

The problem seems to be that their verification service, Comodo Limited, is not one of the usual verfication sites, so most browsers don't recognize Comodo as a trusted verification authority.

Although I will personally keep rejecting the certificate, if you are sure you are at starcitygames.com, it's probably safe to accept the certificate permanently and not see that pop-up anymore.

Alternatively, you could set up your browser to trust Comodo as a verification authority, and all valid certificates issued by them will be automatically accepted.

Cavius The Great
09-20-2006, 01:50 PM
The problem seems to be that their verification service, Comodo Limited, is not one of the usual verfication sites, so most browsers don't recognize Comodo as a trusted verification authority.

Although I will personally keep rejecting the certificate, if you are sure you are at starcitygames.com, it's probably safe to accept the certificate permanently and not see that pop-up anymore.

If you know it's Comodo Limited and that's the very reason it comes up why would you still reject it? Has this been happening to you? Bardo, has this happened to you? I had Starcitygames.com bookmarked on my comp for over a year and this is the first time something like this has happened to me.

Drathro
09-24-2006, 02:13 AM
If you know it's Comodo Limited and that's the very reason it comes up why would you still reject it?
I don't use scg enough for it to bother me, I guess. If you want my recommendation, accept the cert from the scg site, and you shouldn't have to worry about it again for a while (the cert eventually expires - usually 1 or 2 years - and they issue a new one).

I had Starcitygames.com bookmarked on my comp for over a year and this is the first time something like this has happened to me.Me too. They just set this up, I suspect.