PDA

View Full Version : [Report] Austin Texas Legacy Tournament 9/30/06

Firebrothers
10-01-2006, 05:15 PM
The reason I’m writing this report is threefold. First and most importantly I would like to promote the Legacy scene in Austin. There seems to be a lot of interest in this format and there is a steady 15-20 people that show up to play regularly. The only thing that is missing in Austin that I see present in other areas is enthusiasm and development. So by writing this report and others to come I invite all Legacy players to come out from lurking and begin to actively take part in posting on this and other sites.

Secondly I need help with my sideboard. I don’t think it is optimal and would like some suggestions as to how to fix it and make it better. Also I would like to know how to better sideboard against some matches.

Third, I’m a little bored and, though I should be typing a 4 page paper for my Ret. Comp. class that is due tomorrow, I have decided to write this little tournament report.

So I call my buddy Robin at 6:20 to see where he was at. He said he would be over in 15 minuets so we could go to the tournament that started at 7 p.m. 6:50 rolls around and he waltzes through my front door. He never seems to be on time when he is with his girlfriend. I proceed to remind him that we have to pick someone else up and after he ran a red light and almost slammed head on into a minivan we arrive at Thors Hammer, pretty much the largest gaming facility in Austin. Luckily we called and they said they would hold the tournament until we got there.

There were 13 people total at Thor’s Hammer this week, a little less then normal but a lot of fresh faces. I had my hopes set on running a R/g beats deck but I needed Grim lavamancers which one of my friends was going to let me borrow. At the last minuet he decided to run his Fish deck that used the lavamancers so I decided to play Goblins because of the mostly unknown field I felt that they would work well tonight.

Here is the list pretty straight forward wit ha splash of white

Lands (21)
3 Bloodstained Mire
3 Wooded Foothills
4 Wasteland
3 Plateau
8 Mountains

Creatures (32)
4 Goblin Lackey
4 Mogg Fanatic
4 Goblin Piledriver
4 Goblin Warchief
4 Goblin Matron
3 Goblin Incinerator
1 Goblin King
1 Goblin Sharpshooter
4 Goblin Ringleader
3 Siege-Gang Commander
Artifacts (4)
4 Aether Vial

Instant (3)
3 Swords to Plowshares

Sideboard (15)
4 Pyrostatic Pillar
2 Armageddon
3 Disenchant
2 Tormods crypt
2 Red Elemental Blast
2 Pyroblast

Now onto why I chose the cards I did.

Everything is pretty standard/ I like the white splash more then any others because of the StP and disenchants. One Goblin kind seemed fine and won me a few games but I'm a little weary about the sharpshooter. I didn’t sue it all night but I’m sure there can be situations where he could be very good. Anyway the sideboard I have seems sketchy. I threw in the pillars because one of my friends was playing ProsBloom and I had a feeling that some other combo decks could show up and I don’t think I have a great matchup against combo. The other sb cards seemed pretty staple but I question the Armageddon also.

So the field looked something like this

Goblins
Iggy pop
White Weenie
W/B Shadow (wtf?)
ProsBloom
W/U/R Fish
‘The Ring’
Threshold
Alluren
B/R Scepter Control
Stompy
Zilla Stompy
Stasis

Here are my matches

Game 1 vs. W/B/G Threshold
Game one I mulliganed to five because of a hand with one land, 2 ringleaders, 1 siege-gang commander, 1 Matron and 2 stp followed by a no land hand. So I was on the draw with a hand on 1 ringleader, 2 mountains 1 stp and a warchief. He pretty much stomped my face with threshed mongooses and bears as I struggled to find another land.

I was a little depressed after this thorough beating but sided in 2 pyro and 2 ReB and the crypts and shuffled up. This hand was defiantly better with a lackey into warchief followed up by a piledriver. He stabilized the board with a few StP but saw no counters as I played a few ringleaders and beat him down with fanatics and the ringleaders.

Before game three I chatted wit him that some threshold players side in worship and he said he didn’t see one that game. BING--- bring in the disenchants. They weren’t relevant though as goblins did there thing and beat him down as I kept him off 4 lands with wastelands as a pail of piledrivers took it home wit ha little support from the Incinerators.

1-0 matches
2-1 games

I checked out the field and it was pretty diverse. I watched as U/R scepter control LOST to the ProsBloom deck. I couldn’t believe that he let him go off and he had to have had 5 hard counters and a counter on a stick. WTF? I defiantly didn’t want to see any combo win matches because I was defiantly afraid of playing against it.

Round Two

I was matched up against the WW deck this time. He had a bye so he had checked up on my deck but I had no idea what I was up against. He opened up with a few tithes as I set up my board. I had a fanatic and piledriver on the field as he set down a silver knight followed by a Jotun Grunt. I checked the graveyards and the grunt would live for a while. He sworded my piledriver the next turn and swung in for 6 and dropped a mother of runes. I killed her and drew into land for the 2nd time in a row. My life total was being depleted and I finally stabilized with 6 life left when the grunt finally went in the graveyard. I ringleaded in to StP land warchief fanatic and tool control of the board making him hold off from attacking until I got enough dudes to swing for the win.

Game 2 I brought in the disenchants because I saw he was playing with Aether Vials and possibly thought he could have some Jittes or other equipment. I played it safe. He played a vial and passed and I dropped a vial and passed. He missed his second land drop and the disenchant in my hand was looking pretty good. I mired for a plateau on my turn and got rid of his vial after he put in a mother of runes from his hand. He found his second land and played a silver knight and passed. I put a lackey into play and played a piledriver and ended my turn. He missed his land again and looked a little frustrated. As I massed my army of green men he kept missing his land drops and kept loosing life. Things got a little hairy when he played a circle of protection red but with only 2 lands in play it couldn’t do much. A siege-gang commander took this one home. He revealed his hand and it had something like 2 cataclysm and some other mean dudes and if he had found is land it would have been over for me.

2-0 matches
4-1 games

I was feeling pretty good and my friends were playing good as well. We talked about how it was going and odds were this match I would have had to either play the Prostide deck, the Iggy pop deck or W/U/R Fish. None of them looked appealing.

It ended up I was matched with the Fish deck, who happened to be my friend who wouldn’t let me borrow the lavamancers. I knew if he got one to stick it wouldn’t be long before all my dudes were in the yard so I mulled to six to keep a fast hand. I opened with a vial which avoided any counters and I knew it was over for him. Lackey, piledriver warchief and a few ringleaders met little resistance as I kept him off his meddling mages and lavamancers with StP and incinerators. He brought me down a few with some Mishras Factory but I overwhelmed him with goblins.

Second game I brought in the Pyroblasts, ReB and disenchants. He kept control of the board with a few mages and plenty of counters and burn but eventually I stabilized after winning a few counter wars and disenchanting a factory. My deck took it home with goblin kind having mountain walk and him forgetting about it. That really sucks for him and I’m sure he felt bad for making that mistake. I’m glad I won and thought it would be a lot harder of a matchup but he told me that his deck really sucked against mine and thought I would win from the very beginning.

3-0 matches
6-1 games

I was sitting next to the combo matchup the whole time and was trying to study the decks. I knew about both of them because my friend was playing the Prostide deck and I knew about Iggy Pop because of its popularity. I was hoping my friend would win because it seemed like an easier matchup for me but it turned out he lost (he said) because of player mistakes on his part and not because Iggy Pop is and better.

So we waited for the stasis matchup to be over and I chatted with the Iggy Pop player who is a really nice guy and knows a lot about legacy. Hopefully he posts on this site and adds to the legacy environment with his insight and knowledge. Anyway needless to say I wasn’t very confident about this matchup and took a look at the payout. $28 store credit to first and $14 to second and like 8 or 10 to third I don’t remember.

We started. I mulleganed because of the bad tempo of my hand and got a hand with 3 land and a lackey with some other stuff. It was fine because I knew I needed to win before 3rd or 4th turn but I needed a little help. I drew a siege-gang commander and next turn had lethal damage on the board, he proceeded to go off in my face.

Game 2 I boarded in all 4 pyrostatic pillars and the ReB and Pyroblasts and tormods crypt. I Drew a hand of Crypt, pillar, land, land, wasteland, pilrdriver and matron. I kept hoping this would be enough to hold him off. I played the crypt and passed. He played an island and I drew. I Picked up a vial and played the pyrostatic pillar. He frowned and tutored for an echoing truth. I played the vial and piledriver next turn and took some damage. He bounced my crypt and I stupidly saced it removing his graveyard. I was afraid he was going to go off on his turn because he drew a card and looked pleased. But he played a Pernicious deed. I haven’t seen that before in an Iggy deck and he said it changed his whole game plan. I felt his hand was pretty weak but I only think I had that was worth anything in my hand was a matron. On my turn I attacked and he popped the deed. I played the matron and fetched a warchief and passed the turn. I defiantly thought he was going to go off this turn but he played it safe, he was down to something like 9 or so from the damage from the pillar but I knew I needed something good to pull this one out. And I topdecked another pillar and played it. He said he was expecting a warchief. He tried to tendrils me for a little of my life to gain some back so he could go off again next turn but he couldn’t and I won the second game.

He seemed a little nervous about winning the next one because of all the hate that I brought in. He asked if I wanted to split and I thought about it for a little. 28 for first, 14 for second 21 split. I decided to take the safe bet and split with him. I was thankful but my friends pestered me about not going for it. Overall my record was

3-0-1
7-2-1

We played it out for fun and I won easily with a turn 3 kill of lackey into siege gang and piledriver ftw. But who knows what would have happened if we didn’t split. I ended up buying a grim lavamancer with my store credit and still have 11 bucks to pay for entry for the next 2 weeks. Thanks for everyone who showed up and next time robin you better show up on time and stop standing up your friends to hang out with your girlfriend.

Anyway I had another great time at the weekly Thor’s Hammer Legacy tournament and am looking forward to next week already. Hopefully this will be the beginning of a lot of Legacy information and development from the Austin area and I encourage any questions comments concerns or confusions about this report.

MattH
10-02-2006, 11:34 PM
Yeah man, reports are the best way to encourage a scene, I think. Great report!

M.Maddox
10-04-2006, 11:29 AM
If you guys ever have a decent sized, planned legacy tournament up there, myself and 5 friends might drive up from Houston.

Firebrothers
10-04-2006, 02:45 PM
We are trying to set a few things up with the store so we can have a large tournement. A few guys are willing to put up a tournement with a beta duel land for top prize. i will be sure that if they ever set a date that they post it on here

M.Maddox
10-04-2006, 03:31 PM
Cool man. I would be able to roll up from Houston with about six people almost for certain, so count us in if you're looking for minimum number of players.