PDA

View Full Version : [REPORT] Threshold FTW? Well, sometimes… Dual for Duels Day 1 – 10/07/2006

kabal
10-07-2006, 08:52 PM
Let me begin by saying I drove up here Friday morning with a real bad cold. The kind of cold where your head feels like a balloon about to pop. Was that really the analogy I just gave? Oh yeah, I’m sick get over it. Anyhow, I drove up from GA, took about 7 hours that is due to two crazy accidents that happen 6 miles before my exit to my hotel. In the end, added about 30mins or so to the trip. I get here about 5P, check in and attempt to find out where SCG gaming center is. I end up pass by it because of the torrential down pours. Long story short, I find it and pick up a few cards and look for a target/Wal-Mart to buy a jacket. It figures, I get my deck ready, but forgot that the weather in GA is more in likely different than VA this time of year. You would think I would have remembered that living in VA for about 20 years.

Day 2 (not of the tournament, but my stay in VA), I so up at SCG a little too early, so I end up playing some Nintendo DS. I know I said I would keep this short, but I just keep rambling on and on and on.

Tournament time … me playing Ugw Threshold with 2 Grunts MB over Enforcer. Why you might ask well… I excepted allot of Threshold and other decks utilizing the graveyard. Which I was right, they where there but I just didn’t play against any of them. On a side note, Grunts still did their job when I got them into play. Overall wasn’t a bad decision.

Match 1 (2 – 0) > Solidarity played by Scott Taylor

• Game 1: I don’t remember a whole lot about this game, other than he scooped when he mistakenly starting looking through his whole library.
• Game 2: He is at low life and can’t deck me or stop the angry jungle animals.

Match 2 (1 – 2) > U/G Madness played by James [don’t remember your last name]

• Game 1: Early counters stopping his essential cards and a Pithing Needle on Mongrel, which turned out not to matter since he never drew up. Speaking of drawing Mongrel, he never saw one all three games.
• Game 2: We are both even on threats and life totals, but he gets the card that every Thres player hates (maybe just me) Tormod’s crypt. It figures I didn’t have an answer to it and couldn’t build it back up fast enough to stop the slaughter.
• Game 3: Very bad game for me. He gets 3 early wastelands with me not even able to pull off the Daze trick saving my lands. This puts me a huge disadvantage and I die to an Aquamoeba with Jitte. Dam you Roland Chang and giving hope to Madness players everywhere.

Match 3 (0 – 2) > Rw (Can’t call it “smart” wouldn’t that be an oxymoron?) Goblins played by some evil Goblin player

• Game 1: It was a slow death to a wave of ugly red men. Have a mentioned how much I hate this deck except when I’m playing it.
• Game 2: I board any least 1/3 of cards in my side board. For some reason, I don’t draw any of them, but I opponent draws all of his. Oh well.

Match 4 (2 – 0) > Affinity played by I don’t remember your name

• Game 1: It just how Threshold is supposed to play, counter, place cards in the graveyard and swing with some over sized beats.
• Game 2: It was a little slower, but it ended in me beating him up with 2 Mystic Enforcers. Luck for me, cause he had two Ravagers and Plating with about 8 artifact count.

Match 5 (2 – 0) > Rw Goblins played by I don’t remember your name … ughh Goblins again.

• Game 1: Luckily for me, my deck played again let it is supposed to and I take this game.
• Game 2: Board-in everything including the kitchen sink. Again, luck seemed to be with me, cause I actually saw some of those hate cards.

Match 6 (2 – 0) > Goblin Charbelcher played by I don’t remember your name again, I believe it was Justin something or other.

• Game 1: He asked if I was welling to scoop to him, so he could top 8. Unfortunately for him I was just still hoping for a top 8 spot, but more in likely won't be with a 5-2 record. At the least I was playing for pride and rating. Anyhow, he attempts to go off and spoils himself to death.
• Game 2: He Charbelcher’s me for about 12, and after that he got beaten down by the hordes.

Match 7 (0 – 2) > Solidarity played by Darren. Where was my Threshold mirror matches…sigh?

• Game 1 & 2: Not much to say about either. Both games ended in him being at low life and decking me. Oh well…

So that is about it, Day 1 in a nutshell. I end up going 4-3 and coming in 21st place out of 72 people. I'm thinking Day 2 I should become assimilated and play Goblins R/?. Btw, here is the build I played.

// Lands
1 Forest
2 Island
1 Plains
4 Flooded Strand
4 Tropical Island
3 Tundra
3 Windswept Heath

// Creatures
3 Meddling Mage
2 Jötun Grunt
4 Nimble Mongoose
4 Werebear

// Spells
4 Brainstorm
2 Counterspell
4 Daze
2 Impulse
3 Mental Note
4 Swords to Plowshares
4 Force of Will
4 Serum Visions

// Artifacts
2 Pithing Needle

// Sideboard
SB: 2 Hydroblast
SB: 2 Blue Elemental Blast
SB: 2 Mystic Enforcer
SB: 2 Engineering Explosives
SB: 2 Naturalize
SB: 1 Pithing Needle
SB: 4 Tormod's Crypt

umbowta
10-08-2006, 10:02 AM
Why on God's green Earth would you run Jotun Grunt in the Main of a threshold deck? If you want to play Maindeck Grunts, put it in a deck that wants cards back in the Library or something.

Where was my Threshold mirror matches…sigh?What were you expecting...50% thresh or something?

Bardo
10-08-2006, 12:31 PM
I'm sorry to post this here, but, um, does anyone know who/what won Day 1?

kabal
10-08-2006, 03:00 PM
Why on God's green Earth would you run Jotun Grunt in the Main of a threshold deck? If you want to play Maindeck Grunts, put it in a deck that wants cards back in the Library or something.

What were you expecting...50% thresh or something?

Solidarity and Threshold made up more than 50% of the field. Both decks fill up their graveyards quite quickly. Not to mention, it gave me a little resilience to MD Tormod's Crypt, which I faced 2 decks that were running them.

kabal
10-08-2006, 03:08 PM
I'm sorry to post this here, but, um, does anyone know who/what won Day 1?

I don't know who won, since I was feeling like crap and wanted to get some real food to eat for dinner so I ducked out early. Anyhow, below is what I remember the Top 8 looking like.

Nick Trudeau - Landstill (http://sales.starcitygames.com/deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=18469)

Mr. Nipples - Rw Goblins

Another guy - Rw Goblins

David Gearhart - Solidarity

Jesse Hatfield - Threshold w/ Predict (blah)

Thats all I remember.

Citrus-God
10-09-2006, 10:12 AM
Jesse Hatfield - Threshold w/ Predict (blah)

I love you Jesse Hatfield! And Predict is not blah, it just needs to be built around to maximize it's efficientcy.

kabal
10-09-2006, 10:17 AM
I love you Jesse Hatfield! And Predict is not blah, it just needs to be built around to maximize it's efficientcy.

From my testing, it just isn't very predictable. ;)

troopatroop
10-09-2006, 10:24 AM
Jesse Hatfield is also a much better player than you. Thus might lead to alternate results.

SillyMetalGAT
10-09-2006, 10:41 AM
Jesse Hatfield is also a much better player than you. Thus might lead to alternate results.

Everytime you post, your a dick. I hope Kabal finds you in a dark alley and beats you with a tire iron.

SillyMetalGAT
10-09-2006, 10:45 AM
YOu know you are really good at pointing out when people are being dicks, and boy you better hope I never find you in a dark alley.

Why? Do you need to take out your sexual frustrations?

troopatroop
10-09-2006, 11:01 AM
I don't really mind being a dick if I speak the truth. Why say 2 words when you can say 1? As long as what I say isn't false, Conjure a better argument than, "You're a dick".

kabal
10-09-2006, 01:32 PM

Better player discussion aside, his results playing Predict/Portent combination has not yielded him a stupendous record in large tournaments.

- Feb 2006 Duel for Duals 48th place
- July 2006 Duel for Duals 64th place.

But it does appear that he split for 1st during Day 1 of the Roanoke one this past weekend. Does this somehow now imply that predict is awesome? Hardly, just means it worked out great for him during Day 1. I definitely don't want to dredge up all the Mental Note/Predict discussion, but allot of it comes down to play style.

So, yes I can call predict blah, and I shouldn't be told the reason I think this is because I am an inferior player to someone else who does play them.

troopatroop
10-09-2006, 02:30 PM
He top 2 split a Kadi tournament... but tournament results are flawed regardless. Too small a sample size.

Citrus-God
10-09-2006, 06:23 PM
Better player discussion aside, his results playing Predict/Portent combination has not yielded him a stupendous record in large tournaments.

- Feb 2006 Duel for Duals 48th place
- July 2006 Duel for Duals 64th place.

But it does appear that he split for 1st during Day 1 of the Roanoke one this past weekend. Does this somehow now imply that predict is awesome? Hardly, just means it worked out great for him during Day 1. I definitely don't want to dredge up all the Mental Note/Predict discussion, but allot of it comes down to play style.

So, yes I can call predict blah, and I shouldn't be told the reason I think this is because I am an inferior player to someone else who does play them.

In terms of how the deck was built, you must include Alix as well. Alix split at the Kadi tournament. Jesse got Top 8, and you also have to include this as well. Both Hatfields Top 8ed. Also, Overlord Top 8ed the tournament Alix Top 8ed.

As for the Mental Note/Predict debate, I personally thought that was the best piece of discussion we ever had. Flame wars werent that rampant, and many people showed their testing results and playstyle to others. I had a better understanding on this archetype because of that debate.

kabal
10-09-2006, 07:54 PM
In terms of how the deck was built, you must include Alix as well. Alix split at the Kadi tournament. Jesse got Top 8, and you also have to include this as well. Both Hatfields Top 8ed. Also, Overlord Top 8ed the tournament Alix Top 8ed.

The other poster was comparing my being an inferior magic player to Jesse is why I don't like Predict. So I was showing that Jesse's results using Predict/Portent version weren't to stellar in large SCG this past year (not including this past weekend because I wasn't sure of the results)

As for the Mental Note/Predict debate, I personally thought that was the best piece of discussion we ever had. Flame wars werent that rampant, and many people showed their testing results and playstyle to others. I had a better understanding on this archetype because of that debate.

I never implied it wasn't a good discussion. I just didn't want to go back into it was it was very lengthy.