PDA

View Full Version : [Report] - SCG duel for duals, RED DEATH

nitewolf9
10-09-2006, 02:21 PM
This weekend I played Red Death both days at the SCG Duel for Duals, and this report will focus on day 2. This is my first tournament report from my first major legacy tournament, so bear with me.

For reference, this is the list that I ran:

4x dark ritual
4x sinkhole
4x duress
4x hymn to tourach
4x lightning bolt
3x chain lightning

4x phyrexian negator
4x hypnotic specter
4x nantuko shade
3x rotting giant
1x wretched anurid

4x wasteland
4x polluted delta
3x bloodstained mire
3x badlands
7x swamp

Sideboard:
4x Infest
4x Dystopia
4x Cabal Therapy
3x Null Rod

On to the report (Day 2 of the tournament).

Round 1 (B/W control)

I don't remember alot about this match, but I'll try to put it together.

Game 1 we duress each other, I nab a vindicate, he gets a hymn I believe and then gets a decendant of kiyomaro to stick. However, I keep dropping huge threats that eventually overwhelm him with some help from a few burn spells.

board: -3 chain lightning, +3 dystopia

Game 2.
This game he pretty much has an answer for every threat that I play, and it goes into the long game with him having about 10 lands in play or something rediculous like that. Descendant ensures his largeness with a couple of skeletal scryings. I believe grunt finishes me off in this one.

Game 3 my deck did its thing. I disurpt him with a first turn duress, sinkhole a plains, then waste a scrubland. I get a good tempo boost from that and drop negator on the table. I think my opponent forces me to chuck my negator overboard with diabolic edict but my threats keep coming. Dystopia makes sure he doesn't keep any creatures out and I win quickly after that.

1-0-0

Round 2 (Ubw landstill I believe)

This was a frustrating match and I made a fatal play mistake game 3, but we'll get to that in a bit.

Game 1 I drop first turn negator, go. He fetches an underground sea. I disrupt him for the rest of the game, which ends quickly due to me swinging for 5 a turn. I have no idea what he is playing but see a haunting echoes and a fact or fiction I believe.

-3 chain lightning, -1 lightning bolt, +4 cabal therapy

Game 2 goes to the long game with him dropping a turn 2 standstill, recovering from my early disruption and destroying my creatures. I get haunting echoes'd twice I believe and he drops an undead gladiator. GG.

Game 3 is where I throw away the victory. Early on I duress him seeing a decree of pain and I think I take a force of will. I disrupt him a bit more and have two negators down around turn 6 or so. I also have 3 wastelands in play. Instead of wasting his underground seas, I for some idiotic reason think it'd be good to save them to get rid of manlands (I attribute this to being tired, but that's probably to make me feel better). He has just enough mana and hardcasts decree of pain to wipe my negators, drawing two cards. It's all down hill from there and I lose to myself. Sigh.

1-1-0

Round 3 (Solidarity)

Game 1 I know what he is playing and keep a hand that includes a first turn negator and some disruption. I drop the negator, he doesn't have the force, and start to rip apart his hand/land and life total. On to game 2.

-3 chain lightning, -1 lightning bolt, +4 cabal therapy

Game 2 goes pretty much the same way. I tear apart his hand, drop a big creature, sinkhole a land or two and it's game over.

2-1-0

Round 4 (R/w Vial Goblins, piloted by Calosso)

Ah yes, this game is even worse than game 2 for me beating myself. I'll explain when we get to game 3.

Game 1. He wins the die roll and goes mountain, lacky, go. I go fetch, badlands, chain the lacky, go. He misses his land drop and says go. I sink his land, drop a negator, and proceed to win.

-4 duress, -3 sinkhole, +4 infest, +3 null rod

Game 2 he gets a solid draw and I don't quite get what I need. I should have mulliganed to have an answer for his lacky, but instead he swings through to drop a SGC. I get overwhelmed pretty quickly and it's on to game 3.

Game 3 was the most atrocious series of misplays I have ever made while playing magic. I go swamp, go. He drops a fanatic, go. I drop a null rod, say go. He drops a vial, swings with fanatic, says go. My hand consists of two (TWO) infests, a negator, an anurid, a chain lightning and a lightning bolt. I get out the anurid, and start beating him with it. He gets out a blocker, and I decide to CHAIN LIGHTNING HIS FUCKING BLOCKER (gee, goblins runs mountains, and chain lightning has a drawback afterall). He chains it back at my anurid and I get very mad at myself for making that mistake. He continually ports my badlands during my upkeep, but taps out later on to play some gobbs. I drop a negator instead of infesting, because I had 4 lands in play (thinking I could infest next turn then swing, this was a bad idea. Infest first then drop threat, idiot). He rips wasteland and gets rid of my badlands. From then on I am stuck at 3 mana and can't infest because of the stupid port. My negator can't get through for enough damage and I end the game with him at 1 life and me getting destroyed by 2 piledrivers and a warchief. Later on I realize I could have responded to his porting of my badlands by bolting him, which would obviously have been the correct play in that situation. God dammit.

At this point I am out of contention for the top 8 because of my own stupidity, but I decide to play it out.

2-2-0

Round 5 (Stompy, piloted by Anwar)

This round gives Anwar a chance to play against his own deck which is kind of ironic. I'm not sure how the stompy matchup goes before playing this but I'm pretty sure I have the advantage.

Game 1 he gets on the early beats and starts eating my life total. I duress him, then hymn him I believe. He gets me down pretty low on life before I can stabalize and get out two negators and a giant. My giant trades with a rogue elephant and I start beating in with the negators. I drop a THIRD negator. He has no cards left in his hand, and has 3 creatures out I believe. I make the mistake of swinging in with two negators instead of just one, which leaves him with two 1/1 creatures, me with one blocker, and me at 4 life. He rips a giant growth off the top and I die to a ranger.

-4 duress, -4 sinkhole, +4 infest, +4 dystopia

Game 2 my deck pretty much turns into a control deck with 4 board sweepers and dystopia. This makes it very hard for him to win. We both drop a bunch of creatures, with me swinging over his team with a hyppie. I finally infest the board and win with negator.

Game 3 was very fast and I disrupted him, dropped threats, and then dropped dystopia.

Good games, and I'm sorry about blowing the top 8 spot with Red Death, Anwar :(.

Round 6 (Ugw Thresh)

Threshold is a very close matchup with this deck, and you have to play very tight to pull out the win. This match was pretty close.

Game 1 I keep a questionable hand with burn and two rituals, thinking he was playing goblins for some reason. He wasn't and I get my face smashed in short order.

-4 lightning bolt, -3 chain lightning, +4 dystopia, +3 cabal therapy

Game 2 I disrupt him and he plays some cantrips and an early mongoose. I start getting down threats with an anurid and a shade I believe. He needles the shade, but I drop dystopia and win from there.

Game 3 is interesting. We go back and forth, I disrupt him, he gets to threshold quickly and drops a goose I think. I have 3 dystopias in my hand and a negator. I drop the first dystopia and he counters it. He drops a mage, naming phyrexian negator (?). I say sure, and drop another dystopia. It resolves, and his mage bites the dust. I drop the negator, and then his goose dies to dystopia. We continue to go back and forth a bit, but dystopia just wrecks him in the end. That card is solid gold in this matchup. Who needs grave hate when you can just blow up all their creatures and swing in with wreckless abandon.

I end with a 4-2-0 record, and in 16th I believe. Not bad, but I am still mad at myself for playing so poorly early on. It was my first major tournament so I can't complain, and I definitly learned from my mistakes. I love the deck though and I truly believe it is a solid choice for the metagame right now. Mad props to Anwar for coming up with it.

Day one I can't really remember very much of right now, but
I beat on goblins all day long. I however wind up losing to fairie stompy in game 1 (not much I can do about an equipped weatherseed fairies), the unwinnable GOBLIN SLIGH matchup (fucking Calosso, why did you play this), and solidarity. Yes, solidarity. He goes off both games with 3 or 4 lands in play, on the back of remand and double high tides. God draws both games. I end that day at 4-3-0.

Congratulations to all the people that placed and to the rest of the NoVA people for doing so well this weekend. I had a blast at the tournament and can't wait for the next one to come around.

AnwarA101
10-09-2006, 02:33 PM
I end with a 4-2-0 record, and in 16th I believe. Not bad, but I am still mad at myself for playing so poorly early on. It was my first major tournament so I can't complain, and I definitly learned from my mistakes. I love the deck though and I truly believe it is a solid choice for the metagame right now. Mad props to Anwar for coming up with it.

I'm still feeling the sting of not making Top8 on Day 1 with Red Death and also the pain I feel because I know you should have been in Top8 on Day 2 with it as well. Don't feel too bad, learn from your mistakes and you'll do better next time. As for me, I'm still exhausted from my experience because I believe that I played the deck almost as well as I could have with a very few mistakes and just missed Top8. My report should be up later today.

NANTUKO_SHADY
10-09-2006, 06:53 PM
Nitewolf, it was a pleasure meeting you and learning how to disarm someone with a gun! It was also pretty sick to know you beat the shit out of some big thug who tried to mug you! I hope to see you at Krieger's Duel for Duals in January!

BTW= I forgive you for savaging me on day 1 :tongue:

(I'm playing Solidarity)

Turn 1= Swamp--> Dark Ritual---> Duress---> Hymn to Tourach
Turn 2= Land---> Sinkhole
Turn 3= Land---> Hypnotic Specter
Turn 4= Land---> Duress, Negator= LOSS

Good times! :laugh:

nitewolf9
10-09-2006, 07:12 PM
Haha, oh man, that was so brutal...apologies for god handing you.

Yeah dude, great meeting you too. I'll definitly be at the next one. This tourney was alot of fun despite having to sleep in Anwar's car on friday night (rain + camping + cold = good game).

URABAHN
10-09-2006, 10:14 PM
Red Death is a legimate contender--in the right hands. I'm pleased to know it took a liking to you. Keep up the good work!

jamest
10-09-2006, 11:17 PM
Good report Nitewolf. I was the Faerie Stompy player. It was cool meeting you.

One example of the strength of Red Death was when you had to mull to five (on the play) and still smashed my deck in quick fashion. I'm starting to see the strength of Negator. It seems that almost all your match reports read, I disrupted him some and Negator finished the job.

nitewolf9
10-09-2006, 11:39 PM
^ It was good meeting you too, bro. Good games and I'm sure I'll be seeing you at the next event.

And yes, negator fits right into the strategy of winning before they can recover from your disruption. He is the mvp of the deck.