PDA

View Full Version : TMD OPEN X Jan13-14th, 2007, Stratford, CT

Iamfishman
11-27-2006, 11:43 PM
That's right ladies(optimism) and gents. After 6 months, The Mana Drain Open will be returning to a brand new location.

MORE DETAILS TO FOLLOW

DAY 1

WHEN:
Saturday, January 13, 2007

WHERE:
GamingETC.com Storefront
555 Lordship Boulevard (Exit 30 off I95)
Stratford CT 06615
1-800-380-1115 or 203-849-0186

LODGINGS:
I finally got in touch with the Ramada and a room rate has been established(assuming 10 rooms each night which should be a definite).
Call and ask to book one of the rooms in the CARD TOURNAMENT reservation. These are the $69 rooms.
Be sure to reserve your room ASAP, as there are only 10 rooms and they won't last very long at this price.

WHAT:
MAIN EVENT - THE MANA DRAIN OPEN 10 (Waterbury)

$20 Entry Fee

Tourney Starts PROMPTLY at 11:00 am(To avoid a prolonged tournament, this will be strictly enforced. Latecomers will be subject to a round 1 loss.)

Format - Type One with TEN proxies + $1 per extra proxy(15 proxies maximum)

Cut to single elimination portion of the tournament will be based on standing after x rounds of swiss, where x is the exponent of the first power of 2 greater than the number of player we have(typically this means 8 rounds). Essentially, if there are 8 rounds, anyone with a 6-1-1 or better record will make the final cut.

DOPENESS FACTOR: 387 times the value of k if: "The surface of a right circular cone is painted black. The cone has height 4 and its base has radius 3. It is cut into two parts by a plane parallel to the base, so that the volume of the top part (the small cone) divided by the volume of the bottom part (the frustrum) equals k and painted area of the top part divided by the painted are of the bottom part also equals k."

PRIZE SUPPORT:*
*In thinking about the time of the year, as much as I don't like to put clauses on my prize support, I think I may have to. I don't like doing it because I think it makes people wary about coming(even if it is TMD OPEN!). I have a hunch, though, that after saying the following everyone will agree that what is said is fair and true.
1.) Snow can kill a tournament.
2.) As mentioned before, I can't buff my attendance with card sales and I can't take a business loss, that balances out over time. As an individual, a thousand dollar hit, as one that may be caused by low attendance due to weather is not one I can afford and one that would make future TMD OPENs tough to jumpstart.
4.) Despite this, my prize support will still be guaranteed unless both attendance is under 150 people(my break even point) AND the low attendance is due to weather.
5.) What this means is that if attendance is below 150, but it is not due to bad weather, I will still give out the full prize support.
6.) Also. if bad weather causes attendance to be low, I will still give out 100% of all money taken in from entry fee to the prize support. Granted, I will take a hit on other costs but I can deal with this, if it is not coupled with a hit on prize support.

I feel this is fair to the players on all accounts, but at the same time will make me sleep easier during the weeks leading up to the event. All in all, the above most likely will mean nothing, however, it should be said so that people know the situation ahead of time.

1st Prize - UNLIMITED BLACK LOTUS PLUS free admission and 1 ROUND BYE into the next MANA DRAIN OPEN and official TMD OPEN Playmat for TMD Open 11
2nd Prize - ALPHA MOX EMERALD
3rd Prize - UNLIMITED MOX RUBY
4th Prize - UNLIMITED MOX PEARL
5th Prize - UNLIMITED MOX EMERALD
6th Prize- LIBRARY OF ALEXANDRIA
7th Prize - UNLIMITED TIMETWISTER
8th Prize - UNLIMITED TIMETWISTER
9th - 16th Place Prizes - OFFICIAL "TMD OPEN" PLAYMAT
17th Place- 3D MAGIC LIFE COUNTER
18th-32nd Prize - DRAFT TIME SPIRAL
33rd Prize - PLAYSET OF GOBLIN GAMES
Farthest travelled participant: FREE ADMISSION TO MAIN EVENT
First to beat previous champion(Rich Meyst): DRAFT SET OF TIME SPIRAL

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At the end of round 4 we will be taking sign ups for a FREE tournament for a MANA DRAIN. The tournament will require you to use the same deck used in the main event(to make life infinitely freakin' easier) and to ensure speedy signups-send off.
The tournament will be single elimination(Hey what do you want from a free event?!?!) :)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BYES:
The top finishers(top is a relative word based on the size of the event) of ANY Type 1 Tournament in the world will be rewarded with the ability to purchase a round one bye at the upcoming TMD Open X seperate from any prize the TO is giving, The following guidelines are to be considered:
1.) The tournament must have at least 25 people.
2.) If the tournament has between 25 and 49 people, the winner may purchase a bye for $10.
3.) If the tournament has between 50 and 74 people, the winner AND/OR the 2nd place finisher may purchase a bye for $10 each.
4.) If the tournament has 75+ people, the top 4 players may purchase a bye for $10(this will mainly be SCG events)

ALSO, a TO can still offer byes as prizes in one of two ways. They can purchase either a round one bye without entry for $10 or a round one bye with entry fee for $30. These can only be use as prizes for:
1.) Part of a first or second place prize if the tournament has between 15 and 39 people.
2.) Part of any top 4 place prize if the tournament has between 40 and 64 people.
3.) Part of any top 8 place prize if the tournament has 65+ people.

Any TO's wishing to purchase a bye must contact me prior to the day of the event for which the bye is being offered, though payment doesn't have to be received until after the tournament takes place, since if the tournament does not meet the minimmum number of players and the bye cannot be awarded, the TO will not be charged.

This list will be updated as time goes on.

PAID FOR BYES:
Previous TMD OPEN Day 1 Winner: Rich Meyst
Previous TMD OPEN Day 2 Winner: Tommy Kolowith

BYES THAT CAN BE BOUGHT:
TMD OPEN 9 Day 1: Joel Brauer
TMD OPEN 9 Day 1: Ben Kowal
TMD OPEN 9 Day 1: Dave Feinstein
TMD OPEN 9 Day 1: Rob Costanza
TMD OPEN 9 Day 1: Roger Sorino
TMD OPEN 9 Day 1: Justin Timoney
TMD OPEN 9 Day 1: Roland Chang
TMD OPEN 9 Day 2: Ben Carp
TMD OPEN 9 Day 2: Jeremiah Rudolph
TMD OPEN 9 Day 2: Jess Fico
Change/Orlove benefit 8-6-06: Kyle Leith
Blue Bell Double Blue Power 8-19-06: Mike(Midknight)(please tell me your last name)
Myriad Games 8-19-06: Joe Colon
GENCON-Worlds: Travis Spero
GENCON-Worlds: Robert Vroman
GENCON-Worlds: Paul Mastriano
GENCON-Worlds: Paul Nicolo
GENCON-Worlds: Nick Trudeau
GENCON-Wolrds: David Cohen
GENCON-Worlds: Arend
GENCON-$500: Matt Abold
GENCON- Champs Prelim:???
Beanie Exchange 8-27-06: ???(there is no record of who won this thing)
SCG Boston 9-16-06: Jeff Greene
SCG Boston 9-16-06: Simon MacRae
SCG Boston 9-16-06: Matt Bailey
SCG Boston 9-16-06: Vincent Forino
SCG Boston 9-17-06: Mike Pise
SCG Boston 9-17-06: Mike Herbig
SCG Boston 9-17-06: Ashok Chitturi
SCG Boston 9-17-06: Mike Hetherington
Myriad Games 9-30-06: Dan Cunningham/Pat Broderick Split(which means you guys must fight to the death over who gets the bye)
Myriad Games 11-11-06: Eric Dupuis
GP: New Jersey Side Event 11-12-06: Joe Davis
ELD's Tourney 12-02-06: Dan Yarrington
Myriad Games 12-09-06: Chris Browne
SCG Roanoke 11-18-06: Jeff Floinus
SCG Roanoke 11-19-06: Cody Vinci
Pastimes 12-09-06: Dan Carp
RIW Black Lotus Event: Brian Demars
RIW Black Lotus Event: Steve Menedian
12-6-07 Blue Bell- Joe Denoy

* If you are travelling from far away(of which tournaments I did not record winners) and feel you deserve the right to purchase a bye, simply let me know and I will adjust the list above to reflect it.
** With byes passing down from players already qualified for one, you may want to check this list carefully, and inform any friends that may not know they are qualified for a round 1 bye.

PROXIES:
As far as proxies go, each player will be entitled to 10 proixes included in the basic admission cost. In addition, players may pay $1 per proxy for the ability to play additional ones with the maximum number of total proxies being 15. Prior to the start of the tournament, when you bring up your decklist, a TMD OPEN associate(not someone playing in the event) will check that your decklist properly indicates all your proxies. At this time, you will present your deck to show the indicated number of proxies and pay at that time for additional ones past 10. There are some who would be tempted to cheat this system. Let it be said that each round there will be at least one random deck check(now possible with increased help). Any player who is found to have more proxies than indicated on his decklist and/or paid for will receive a disqualification from the event without prize. This may sound severe, but keep in mind that this is simply to prevent deception and people from abusing a privilege intended to benefit TMD OPEN and newer players(who may need slightly more proxies). As long as you are on the up-and-up, you have nothing to worry about.

A proxy should not be distunguishable from a regular card in a sleeve except for the face. This means no back markings, no cards backwards in sleeves, no abnormal thickness of papers in sleeves, no papers falling out of sleeves, etc.

Proxies must have all pertinent info written on them: Card Name, Casting Cost, Text, Power/Toughness, Etc

Best bet is to get some revised plains(they are plenty light), sharpie the front with all the info, and draw a quick sketch of the picture. This will minimize your chance of having an inappropriate proxy.

If there is still doubt, ask at TMD OPEN X when registering your deck.

Team rivalry, a.k.a. Braggin Rights Supreme JANUARY 2007:
Here is how its gonna go down. Teams of three will agree prior to the event to play as a team and will register(seperate from a deck registration...it will be done on a different sheet of paper). Each teams cost is $9...$3 per person. Then, at the end of the tournament, the teams with the highest combined number of match points(top 16 matches-finals count as 3 points per match, just as in the swiss) will win.

If enough teams enter, there may be a second place prizes or more, but the number of teams entering, and thus the collected entry fees, will determine the prizes. In the event of a tie for match points, the average opponent match win percentage of the three players on each team will be computed and compared.

After round 3 team designations will be inserted into players names, so teams may view each other team's players and match points on the pairings/standings.

DAY 2

Sunday, January 14, 2007
GamingETC.com Storefront
555 Lordship Boulevard (Exit 30 off I95)
Stratford CT 06615
1-800-380-1115 or 203-849-0186

Type 1 Tourney for an ANCESTRAL RECALL
10+ proxies(same as day 1)

1st place: UNLIMITED ANCESTRAL RECALL PLUS free admission and 1 ROUND BYE into the next MANA DRAIN OPEN
2nd place: LIBRARY OF ALEXANDRIA
3rd place: ENGLISH LEGENDS MANA DRAIN
4th place: 2 FORCE OF WILL
5-8th place: 5 TIME SPIRAL BOOSTERS

Registration 10 - 11:00 AM

Starts 11:00 AM

$15 Entry Fee

TEAM Magic Trivia(teams may be up to 4 people)
(Using Jeopardy template- 5 categories with questions of varying value.)
Starts at 6:30 pm
Prizes include: TIME SPIRAL BOOSTERS
FREE Entry

Questions comments concerns, please feel free to contact me at iamfishman2000@hotmail.com, via AIM at PLIKEY, PM ME, or by phone (860) 618-3412. or (860) 605-3730

Cya at Waterbury!

Iamfishman
12-04-2006, 10:57 PM
I've realized that many people did not note a change from the last few TMD Opens that should be brought to everyone's attention.

Cut to single elimination portion of the tournament will be based on standing after x rounds of swiss, where x is the exponent of the first power of 2 greater than the number of player we have(typically this means 8 rounds).

What it means:
Going into the event, you will know exactly what what record you must have in order to make the cut to single elimination after swiss(formerly top 16).

I expect TMD OPEN to be 8 rounds...as such, 6-1-1 will be the minimum record needed to make it into the single elimination part of the tournament.

How it works: According to statistics, the number of players who make the single elimination should be between 8 and 16. The number of people making it to the single elimination portion determines what portion of people will receive a bye into the top 8. For example, consider the situation with 11 people making it past the swiss.

1 receives bye
2 receives bye
3 receives bye
4 receives bye
5 receives bye
6 plays 11
7 plays 10
8 plays 9
and then we have a top 8.

Or with 15 people:
1 receives bye
2 plays 15
3 plays 14
4 plays 13
5 plays 12
6 plays 11
7 plays 10
8 plays 9
and then we have a top 8

Why the change: Numerous reasons prompted the change.
1.) Players should have some incentive and reward for placing high in the standings after swiss.
2.) Accordingly, an aggrevating part of Waterbury, and something of an inside joke, is that is sucks to be the 1st seed since you WILL get knocked out by the 16th seed.
3.) There is no doubt that about what players need to make the single elim rounds. No longer will there be a 17th seed 6 and 2.
4.) Tiebreakers are an unfair measure of someone's qualification to make the single elim rounds because it is beyond the person's control.
5.) Collusion can be minimized.

Comments? Questions?

herbig
12-11-2006, 05:15 PM
I will be there in my ongoing quest to complete a set of power.

Kadaj
12-11-2006, 05:50 PM
I'm going to do all that I can do in my own power to be at this. Bar nothing. If by whatever stroke of bad luck I can't make it I hope this goes very well.

URABAHN
12-11-2006, 07:29 PM
Do a lot of Legacy Players play Vintage? I think overlord95 does, but that's about it from my area.

Bane of the Living
12-11-2006, 07:41 PM
You should've made day 2 a Legacy event. =(

It kinda sucks that you're charging a dollar a proxy too because then all of us Legacy players need to pay 10 bucks more to play with you guys.

Iamfishman
12-11-2006, 09:23 PM
You should've made day 2 a Legacy event. =(

It kinda sucks that you're charging a dollar a proxy too because then all of us Legacy players need to pay 10 bucks more to play with you guys.

@Bane...I think you misunderstood what I mentioned about proxies. The proxy rule works out so that you get 10 proxies for free, and then if you need up to 15 you can pay $1 for every extra one above 10 up to 15.

Machinus
12-11-2006, 09:51 PM
If we get enough Legacy players there maybe we can convince ray to run a side event. Maybe?

herbig
12-12-2006, 01:59 AM
If we get enough Legacy players there maybe we can convince ray to run a side event. Maybe?

While I would love a Legacy side event, I doubt I would be able to participate.

Iamfishman
12-12-2006, 06:57 AM

If enough Legacy players show up in force, I can't make any promises about this TMD Open, but perhaps the next one will have Day 2 specifically scheduled for Legacy.

No promises though.

Iamfishman
12-19-2006, 12:32 AM
Any further details on the room rate with the Ramada? This is less than a month away and I'd like to make reservations.

Thanks!

Glad you mentioned it. I finally got in touch with the Ramada and a room rate has been established(assuming 10 rooms each night which should be a definite).

EDIT*** It is not the case that block of rooms has been set up with a special rate. The way the Ramada did it was they reserved the rooms, and you just have to call and confirm with your name and credit card. Therefore, don't ask for "the CARD TOURNAMENT RATE", but rather ask to book one of the rooms in the CARD TOURNAMENT reservation. These are the $69 rooms.

Be sure to reserve your room ASAP, as there are only 10 rooms and they won't last very long at this price.

bigbear102
12-20-2006, 12:17 AM
GENCON-$500: Ray Robillard(Seriously, I won this thing LOL)

Ummmm......... if I remember correctly we were supposed to play for 2 draft sets but you ran away to play in some limited event cuz you were too afraid to lose to me! If you get the buy then so should I. ( I know you don't actually play, but I want the buy regardless...)

I'm Matt Abold if ya don't know, you can check the GenCon tourney if ya want, I was the one who went to Steak and Shake after we split round 6.

Iamfishman
12-21-2006, 06:13 PM
GENCON-$500: Ray Robillard(Seriously, I won this thing LOL)

Ummmm......... if I remember correctly we were supposed to play for 2 draft sets but you ran away to play in some limited event cuz you were too afraid to lose to me! If you get the buy then so should I. ( I know you don't actually play, but I want the buy regardless...)

I'm Matt Abold if ya don't know, you can check the GenCon tourney if ya want, I was the one who went to Steak and Shake after we split round 6.

Touche...I remember you, but I was hardly scared.

Bye awarded :)

jazzykat
12-28-2006, 04:40 PM
I love that tie breakers are not counted. Of course I live in NM now and will not be able to attend what appears to be a glorious event.

Iamfishman
01-02-2007, 08:23 PM
The bye list has been updated...of note...I messed up...because of attendance from the last TMD Open more slots handed down then I had previously recorded.

Of note:
TMD OPEN 9 Day 1: Rob Costanza
TMD OPEN 9 Day 1: Roger Sorino
TMD OPEN 9 Day 1: Justin Timoney
TMD OPEN 9 Day 1: Roland Chang

TMD OPEN 9 Day 2: Jeremiah Rudolph
TMD OPEN 9 Day 2: Jess Fico

have been added.

Iamfishman
01-05-2007, 06:57 PM
http://www.themanadrain.com/index.php?topic=31615.0

That's right...a free tourney for all you wonderful people.

herbig
01-06-2007, 12:10 AM
I'll be too busy with the single eliminations, but man this looks fun.

ForceofWill
01-12-2007, 03:36 PM
Anyone going to this have room on there floor saturday night?