PDA

View Full Version : An Introduction to the Legacy Scene

URABAHN
01-21-2007, 02:29 PM
Uninformed, misleading, and just plain wrong! (http://www.magic-league.com/article/334/an_introduction_to_the_legacy_scene.html)

mogote
01-21-2007, 03:35 PM
Uninformed, misleading, and just plain wrong! (http://www.magic-league.com/article/334/an_introduction_to_the_legacy_scene.html)
That cannot be because:

this was one of the best articles i read on here, really good work!

I also love the example Solidarity decklist there:
MD Words of Wisdom and AKs for the win!

vigilante
01-21-2007, 03:58 PM
Some of the more...interesting...sideboard options discussed for Faerie Stompy:

Sideboard:
Propaganda – only useful against Goblins, it can save a game you thought already lost, but has the big drawback of not being able to wear a Jitte.
Powder Keg – comes in against Fish or other weenie decks, as well as Affinity.
Stifle – very versatile, and gives this deck something to do on the first turn. Great against storm-based combo, and often boarded in if on the play to stifle that first-turn fetchland.
Hydroblast – Goblin hate. If you kill that first-turn Lackey, you’re halfway there.
Treachery – Not so many targets in the metagame, but it is a powerful card. Comes in against Threshold, and decks packing Exalted Angel.Inspired! A transformational sideboard that turns Faerie Stompy into MBC! I love how the Stifles/Hydroblasts interact with Chalice of the Void (arguably FS's best turn 1 play), and the justification for Stifle is great -- "gives the deck something to do on the first turn" -- as opposed to, say, playing Chalices, Sea Drakes or Serendib Efreets?

Anarky87
01-21-2007, 04:08 PM
What I found amusing was how all the top decks were just his version of what the deck should look like. Instead of going and using deck lists that had won events or T8'd, he just posted his decks and pretty much stated that they were what everyone should expect. Wisdom in Solidarity? Visions in FS? This is not helpful to the format.

I don't care if it is a Legacy article, this whole concept of "Bad attention is better than no attention," does more damage than good. Posting articles that are just full of inaccuracies is harmful to those entering the format. If you're going to write an article about the format, at least do some research and background and not just pull up your decklists from MWS and say that they're what to expect in Tier 1...

Eldariel
01-21-2007, 04:49 PM
Well, he probably works with 2 year old/Magic-League lists, so it's understandable.

Mirrislegend
01-21-2007, 07:03 PM
Well, he probably works with 2 year old/Magic-League lists, so it's understandable.

But it still doesnt excuse him from being "uniformed, misleading, and just plain wrong!"

Bardo
01-21-2007, 07:06 PM
Wow, what a poseur hack. :( It's like he ripped off my last two metagame (http://www.starcitygames.com/php/news/article/13200.html) articles (http://www.starcitygames.com/php/news/article/13511.html), pulled down his pants and took an massive steaming pile of shit on them. Though the forum responses somehow make it worth it.

mogrol is very playable. UG madness won that huge tourni. and you didn't mention force of will as a "power card"

What the fuck is a mogrol? ;)

Cait_Sith
01-21-2007, 09:30 PM
Its like Wild Mongrel Except it costs 1 and lets you search a card from your library to discard.

Let us refer to some of the poster's wisdom:

Good article, but why did you not include any good combo decks or control decks?

Is Tier 1 not good enough for you? Or are you referring to the 2nd Worst Solidarity deck list I have ever seen?

And BW Homebrew

No, Ian. Just no.

Isn't there a grand prix(clombus i belive) coming up that is legacy, that should break the format wide open...

You cannot even spell Columbus. Good job. Also, the format is already very wide, if you know your meta you can either choose a nice deck to hate on it or make one yourself.

Like all these lists were stole from teh source.

All but 1 list he posted was strictly sub-optimal. You had best be joking.

this isn't a very innovative format, there are really only about 3 big decks and they have been around forever (goblins, threshold, high tide combo of some sort)..yes there are other good decks but they really just don't have what it takes

i do agree i wish there were more eternal minis and trials, however t1 owns legacy

Good job at reading the article there buddy. And since you obviously never play Legacy you would not know that the number of Tier 2 decks is incredible, and more are being added as they test out well. Also, Legacy owns Vintage like I own your mother.

Iggy pop is def. a top deck.

It is Tier 2, just like Truffle Shuffle. Except Truffle Shuffle rocks my world.

I'm sorry, but I had to stop reading after the Disenchant in the Goblins sideboard talked about Moat and Survival, but didn't mention Engineered Plague.

Notice the smart ones aren't American? Kudos to your dude.

oath of druids

Wtf banned?

this was one of the best articles i read on here, really good work!

Either this site sucks or this guy is an insult to Germany.

Yes while the legacy pros might be up in arms, I found it a good read since I knew nothing of the format. Thanks!

I am starting to see a scary pattern here.

As far as actual articles go this is the most useful one I've ever seen, 90% are garbage, this one was just slightly out of touch on the lists, but a good overview.

Hello scary pattern. I wish, I wish, I wish this was a lie.

Pinder
01-21-2007, 11:15 PM
Hey look at the bright side, maybe this will mean lots of n3wbs in Columbus with sub-optimal decklists for us to beat :wink:.

Cait_Sith
01-21-2007, 11:24 PM
OMFG WOrds of Wisdom@!!!@! I think Lands! just found a way to have a good Solidarity matchup. 1 Idiot + 1 Sub-Optimal list = 1 win.

vigilante
01-22-2007, 12:40 AM
Hey look at the bright side, maybe this will mean lots of n3wbs in Columbus with sub-optimal decklists for us to beat :wink:.Surely you mean Clombus, don't you...?

Isn't there a grand prix(clombus i belive) coming up that is legacy, that should break the format wide open...

Anarky87
01-22-2007, 12:42 AM
Surely you mean Clombus, don't you...?

I intend to rawk GP:Clombus with an eyern phist.

Cait_Sith
01-22-2007, 10:28 AM
Surely you mean Clombus, don't you...?

No, I mean Columbus. I burnt Clombus to the ground years ago.

Xero
01-22-2007, 11:25 AM
Fucking awesome.

Wow, what a poseur hack. :( It's like he ripped off my last two metagame articles, pulled down his pants and took an massive steaming pile of shit on them. Though the forum responses somehow make it worth it

No; you clearly went forward in time, read this article, and then ripped it off for your "articles."

Bardo
01-22-2007, 12:33 PM
No; you clearly went forward in time, read this article, and then ripped it off for your "articles."

If I could travel through time, I'm sure I could find better things to do with my days than write about Magic: the Gathering...

If I had to guess, I'd probably be a day trader on the NYSE.

Watcher487
01-22-2007, 01:00 PM

Guys we are talking about the same site that had the 300+ card T2 zoo deck listed on it. I don't even look at magic league because half of thier stuff isn't even the right format let alone correct for the current metagame.

Finn
01-22-2007, 01:05 PM
Watcher, you aren't talking about Sarcastic Rat's deck, are you? I hope not because he made that entire deck and thread as a joke. Was there another deck, maybe the one he was spoofing that I don't know about?

Watcher487
01-22-2007, 01:26 PM
Watcher, you aren't talking about Sarcastic Rat's deck, are you? I hope not because he made that entire deck and thread as a joke. Was there another deck, maybe the one he was spoofing that I don't know about?

While yes, I'm actually talking about Rat's deck, it's actually the fact that the people who RUN the site actually allowed the article to go up in the first place. Few sites actually check up on what is exactly going on thier site especially when it comes to M:tG. I know what people are going to say in this regard is to look at the Thunderbluff thread and to say that isn't the same thing. Well I can say that it isn't due to the fact that it was started by the Moderators here and MOST PEOPLE got the joke right off the bat.

Xero
01-22-2007, 01:56 PM
If I could travel through time, I'm sure I could find better things to do with my days than write about Magic: the Gathering...

If I had to guess, I'd probably be a day trader on the NYSE.

Or win the lottery. :eek: Here's something that's always bothered me: if you go back in time and have sex with yourself, is it considered masturbation?

Nightmare
01-22-2007, 02:16 PM
Or win the lottery. :eek: Here's something that's always bothered me: if you go back in time and have sex with yourself, is it considered masturbation?Nope, but you're gay.

Bardo
01-22-2007, 04:55 PM
Or win the lottery. Here's something that's always bothered me: if you go back in time and have sex with yourself, is it considered masturbation?

Well, you can only really win the lottery once--since winning it twice (to make mad money) would reveal that you were obviously rigging something, somehow; because the odds would be astronomical. Secondly, even if you won like $100,000,000, various forms of taxes are going to take roughly 50-60% of your earnings. So, basically, the lottery is just out for time travelling purposes, besides not being terribly original.

For a meager $20k in start-up investment, a shrewd time-travelling day trader on the stock market could literally make billions and billions, with which to procure a small private island + women, drugs, etc.

Re: fucking yourself in the past/future, if you only did it once, I suppose you could rationalize it as merely a form of sexual experimentation and wouldn't necessarily make you gay. Though if you made a habit of having anal sex with yourself regularly, I guess it would. In any event, I wouldn't tell my friends about it. Who needs that shit to get out?

ForceofWill
01-22-2007, 05:39 PM
Guys I hate to back up magic-league here because they do suck at legacy. But JulienN did start here and we all know what happened with him. PV also plays here and he top 8ed worlds this year. It's a free online league there are going to be idiots but it's still much better than mwsplay.

TheInfamousBearAssassin
01-23-2007, 12:50 PM
What if you went back in time to have sex with yourself before you had a sex-change operation, and only one of you speaks English? Is that gay?

emidln
01-23-2007, 12:57 PM
What if you went back in time to have sex with yourself before you had a sex-change operation, and only one of you speaks English? Is that gay?

Nah, just extreme masturbation. Massive style points for seducing yourself but minus infy style points for getting picked up by someone who looks like you. Creep.

Peter_Rotten
01-23-2007, 01:16 PM
What if I went back in time and deleted this thread?