PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Legacy Meandeck Open Report *1st*

Smmenen
01-21-2007, 06:52 PM
Our last tournament had 35 players. The buzz was overwhelmingly positive due to the fun everyone had, the increase in prize support, and the energy in the format as we lead up to Grand Prix Columbus.

Unfortunately, Jan. 21 was not a good day in Columbus. We got destroyed by snow and the streets were awful. I live a seven minute drive or so from the tournament site, but the six inches of snow we got last night made it a 40 minute drive.

Unsurprisingly, I recieved calls from teammates around the state that they would not make the trip: Doug Linn, Mike Bomholt, Paul Mastriano (type 4).

By 1:15 we had 9 people registered in the tournament, enough to run a sanctioned event.

Despite the low turnout, Kent, the tournament organizer and owner of the Soldiery, gave out the guaranteed minimum prize support of $120 to first or 4 revised dual lands, 2nd of $60 or two Pithing Needles, and 3rd of $20 or a Force of Will. The Soldiery took a big loss, but the TO felt it was smart to gaurantee that prize support despite the weather and the ensuing turnout.

I played Iggy Pop, exactly the same list that Mike Bomholt won with last time. I went undefeated in the swiss and then beat Mark Trogdon's Burn deck in the top 4 to meet teammate Lyle Hawkyard playing Goblins in the finals. Lyle and I split the prize with each of us getting NINETY dollars for a 9 person tournament.

Amazing prize support. Major props need to go to the Soldiery. I hope that all of you who wanted to make it out will show up at our next event. Right now, that event will either be Sunday Feb 25th, or the first Sunday in March. Straw poll here will help us decide. Which do you guys prefer?

kicks_422
01-21-2007, 07:12 PM
Um... Where's the report? :tongue:

Also, what decks were played? Any new concepts/tech?

Smmenen
01-21-2007, 07:22 PM
Um... Where's the report? :tongue:

Also, what decks were played? Any new concepts/tech?

2nd to last paragraph in my original post.

Caboose
01-21-2007, 07:55 PM
Steven J. Menendian, the next time 9 people show up for a Legacy tournament, call me, and I will make the ten minute drive to the Soldiery. Congrats on your win though (even though you win more Eternal tournaments than Jesus would if he played Magic).

Bardo
01-21-2007, 07:58 PM
If Jesus played Magic, what deck would he play? Rifter?

blarknob
01-21-2007, 09:03 PM
Duh, he would play Reanimator.

Caboose
01-21-2007, 10:49 PM
OMG guyz! He would liek play Angel Stompy!!!

DarkAkuma
01-22-2007, 02:00 AM
He would probly play something that walks right over Solidarity, like Deadguy...

Anusien
01-22-2007, 09:29 AM
Affinity. And you know you'd deckcheck him and somehow catch him playing with more than 4 Disciples...

Peter_Rotten
01-22-2007, 07:15 PM
Despite the low turnout, Kent, the tournament organizer and owner of the Soldiery, gave out the guaranteed minimum prize support of $120 to first or 4 revised dual lands, 2nd of $60 or two Pithing Needles, and 3rd of $20 or a Force of Will. The Soldiery took a big loss, but the TO felt it was smart to gaurantee that prize support despite the weather and the ensuing turnout.

Quoted for props. I admire that decision.

Caboose
01-22-2007, 11:45 PM
I just actually read all of smmenen's post. You say that Kent was the TO, right? But when I complained about him on TMD, I was told that Meandeck was running the tourney, and Kent was only involved by the fact that the tourney was in his store.

So which was it? And yes, having that prize distribution despite the low turnout was a respectable move. For the first time in my life, I can't say anything bad about him. Let's hope this trend continues.

hi-val
01-23-2007, 12:44 AM
You just never ever miss a chance to dig on the Soldiery, do you?

We run the event in the meaning that it is us who are running the event. You give your money to Kent, Kent furnishes the prizes, Meandeck makes sure the whole thing runs smoothly.

We're working on getting a new judge, IIRC. If someone is interested in the job, please PM Steve or I and we can chat it over.

Caboose
01-23-2007, 04:30 AM
You just never ever miss a chance to dig on the Soldiery, do you?

We run the event in the meaning that it is us who are running the event. You give your money to Kent, Kent furnishes the prizes, Meandeck makes sure the whole thing runs smoothly.

We're working on getting a new judge, IIRC. If someone is interested in the job, please PM Steve or I and we can chat it over.

I'm not digging on it, but seems like I have a bad experience everytime I go. Regardless, this prize distribution thing on Sunday is enough to bring me back. I'll stop by the next one and play. Oh, and I will beat Menendian, because I have a favorable matchup against Iggy-Crap.

Nightmare
01-23-2007, 03:53 PM
Wow. Locked.