PDA

View Full Version : X edition has Black Borders!

mikekelley
02-15-2007, 10:49 AM
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=mtgcom/arcana/1271

umbowta
02-15-2007, 01:03 PM
Hmmm, I wonder what marketing genius finally took his head out of his ass long enough to say, "Geez boss, do you think we'd sell more of the core set if it was black bordered too?"

Although I hate Guiness (because it's not Murphy's) this is "BRILLIANT".

Vardaman
02-15-2007, 01:05 PM
Smithwicks is pretty good too.

Pinder
02-15-2007, 02:08 PM
Finally. You know what this means?

Black bordered Troll Ascetic in tenth. Slap on some sexy new art, and you have yourself a winner.

edit: And black bordered Incinerate with this artwork (http://www.wizards.com/magic/images/mtgcom/fcpics/features/10e_week10_incinerate_A.jpg).

This is going to be awesome.

TeenieBopper
02-15-2007, 02:14 PM
this really isn't going to increase sales of 10th edition. It's just a novelty thing. People will draft for it for a few weeks and then go back to planar chaos or whatever.

Pinder
02-15-2007, 02:20 PM
this really isn't going to increase sales of 10th edition. It's just a novelty thing. People will draft for it for a few weeks and then go back to planar chaos or whatever.

True, it won't get me to buy packs of Tenth, but you can bet that I'll be picking up a playset of those Incinerates. They're just so pretty. Depending on the art for Trolls, I'll likely pick up some of those too.

edit: Oh, and BB Mogg Fanatic in tenth. Those are gonna be hot. Especially in foil. And looking at the wrap-up, we're getting Crucible of Worlds, too. I wonder if they'll keep the art the same.

Machinus
02-15-2007, 04:47 PM
Modern-color pie cards with the new card face? Where do I throw up?

dahcmai
02-15-2007, 08:51 PM
Depending on what's in the set will decide whether or not I buy some packs. If they keep up this nostalgia stuff I may just for a chance at some black bordered stuff that never came that way since Beta.

I hope there's stuff like Winter Orb, Nevy's Disc, or things along those lines that it's hard to get a BB version of short of buying a foreign or beta.

I know one thing, I'm going to be paying attention to what's in it now. I usually wouldn't care all that much other than seeing what's playable in standard so I can nail people on Ebay for the originals.

Maldur Sven Vedukor
02-15-2007, 08:56 PM
Well, I like black borders. But I prefer white borders with old cardframe than black borders with actual cardframe.

If tenth edition cards would have the old cardframe... As the TS timeshifted cards...

kicks_422
02-15-2007, 09:10 PM
If painlands are back, that would make for nice BB versions as well.

A lot of Core Set staples (not just rares) would really have a nice facelift. Think Llanowar Elves, Shock, Boomerang, etc.

And there's always the black-bordered Wrath (unless they boot it out for Damnation).

Firebrothers
02-16-2007, 12:14 AM
So are they going to do this for futurecore sets or only this one because it is a milestone? Or are they trying to bluff us for bluff week?

Lanfeng
02-16-2007, 12:59 AM
bb wrath for cheapos...REJOICE!

Cait_Sith
02-16-2007, 11:07 AM
And looking at the wrap-up, we're getting Crucible of Worlds, too. I wonder if they'll keep the art the same.

You do realize Crucible of Worlds was voted into 10th Edition, right?

CynicalSquirrel
02-16-2007, 02:59 PM
bb wrath for cheapos...REJOICE!
If Wrath is even 10th... which apparently isn't very likely. :/

Ta Jugs
02-16-2007, 03:20 PM
You do realize Crucible of Worlds was voted into 10th Edition, right?So...crucible of worlds is already black bordered.

wmagzoo7
02-16-2007, 03:29 PM
This means that we get old cards that were already printed in black border again with hopefully good art and most likely not BB wrath or BB birds with a X for the expansion symbol.

Bane of the Living
02-16-2007, 08:13 PM
I heard whites getting back Armageddon for the loss of Wrath, donno if thats true or not but I cant wait to play terrageddon in extended if so.

Maldur Sven Vedukor
02-16-2007, 11:57 PM
I just like 7th ed wrath and 5th armageddon. Even if the new ones will have black border.

I think black borders + old cardframe will make wizards to gain more money...

Atwa
02-17-2007, 01:11 AM
I just like 7th ed wrath and 5th armageddon. Even if the new ones will have black border.

I think black borders + old cardframe will make wizards to gain more money...

True, but then again, I already have most cards I want from their original editions so what's the point in buying 10th edition boosters.

Maybe I'd buy them if the ravnica dual lands were in it and if they had reprinted Volcanic Dragon.

Pinder
02-17-2007, 02:59 AM
You do realize Crucible of Worlds was voted into 10th Edition, right?

Yeah, I was just looking through the wrap-up to see what notable cards had been voted in. Of course, if it has the same art as the FD version, Jugs is right, there's no reason to look at tenth over the original.

I still can't believe that we failed to vote Worship into Tenth right after we voted in Troll Ascetic. How did we pick Platinum Angel over that?

I'm really hoping Troll gets some cool new art, though. Maybe Fanatic too.

mogote
02-17-2007, 12:45 PM
Black bordered Troll Ascetic in tenth. Slap on some sexy new art, and you have yourself a winner..
I'd say keeping the original art is the way to go.
And it will have a green mana symbol in the textbox.

Pinder
02-17-2007, 04:04 PM
I'd say keeping the original art is the way to go.
And it will have a green mana symbol in the textbox.

Nice catch about the green mana symbol (which will look nice), but I think the art as it stands is a little 'meh'. I mean, he's just standing there. I'd like to see him doing something.

Anarky87
02-17-2007, 04:52 PM
Nice catch about the green mana symbol (which will look nice), but I think the art as it stands is a little 'meh'. I mean, he's just standing there. I'd like to see him doing something.

Like a pitcure of him Rancored, carrying a Sword of Fire and Ice in one hand and a Jitte in the other with a flavor text of, "He's here to F*CK...YOU UP!"

Pinder
02-17-2007, 07:10 PM
Like a pitcure of him Rancored, carrying a Sword of Fire and Ice in one hand and a Jitte in the other with a flavor text of, "He's here to F*CK...YOU UP!"

You forgot the Armadillo Cloak :laugh:. And if they did that, I would have to get 4 of them. In foil. Signed by Jesus.

Cait_Sith
02-17-2007, 09:37 PM
You know, Catholic Priests are standins for Jesus, so it can be conjectured that Jesus likes touching little kids. Also, he is both black and white in art so is Jesus really Michael Jackson?

And speaking of Michael Jackson I love this change. I got really mad at 6th Edition because it killed the Visions art with its white borders and the set after 6th but before 8th had some of the worst, flavortexts, and card selection in MTG history.

MasterBlaster
02-17-2007, 09:52 PM
10th edition has black borders!
A new gaming store opened a couple miles from where I live!

Damn, it looks like I'll have to get back into this $-eating hobby.

xsockmonkeyx
02-18-2007, 10:05 AM
You forgot the Armadillo Cloak :laugh:. And if they did that, I would have to get 4 of them. In foil. Signed by Jesus.

I hear he doesnt sign things anymore. Ever since that incident with the Romans his handwriting is pretty much shot.

Lord Xœvx Cvrsed
02-21-2007, 01:16 PM
Actually I'm not buying boosters. Even if X edition has black borders, I'll still prefer 5th ed cards, because their cardframe.

C.P.
02-22-2007, 06:45 PM
I hear he doesnt sign things anymore. Ever since that incident with the Romans his handwriting is pretty much shot.

No, He did sign things until the pope changed. The new pope was so mad about him, he got scared and stopped signing things. You know, the new pope can GLARE.:rolleyes:

Pinder
03-04-2007, 02:18 PM
You know, the new pope can GLARE.:rolleyes:

QFT. This is also because the new Pope is actually Emperor Palpatine. You a sinner? Then you get the lightning hands.

Cait_Sith
03-04-2007, 05:22 PM
QFT. This is also because the new Pope is actually Emperor Palpatine. You a sinner? Then you get the lightning hands.

Umm, will he blast me for doing the Pope hat? I mean... it was the POPE HAT. How can you say no?

Pinder
03-04-2007, 08:52 PM
Nah. The Pope understands how cool the Pope Hat is, and can understand why everyone wants one.

C.P.
03-05-2007, 10:55 AM
Nah. The Pope understands how cool the Pope Hat is, and can understand why everyone wants one.

Dunno, the last time that I tried to sneak into his car, he almost fried me. He likes his hat more than his car. Or you could just join the dark side then he might give you a hat...

dahcmai
03-05-2007, 04:46 PM
I just hope 10th edition has these since it's going to be BB.

Winter Orb
Howling Mine
Black Knight (with the 5th pic) oooo perty.
Crusade
Earthquake
Gloom
Lord of Atlantis
Meekstone
Nevy's Disc
Zombie Master
Raging River - awww cmon it'd be fun in standard!

That's all I could think of that hasn't been printed in Black borders in some time.

C.P.
03-05-2007, 05:49 PM
I just hope 10th edition has these since it's going to be BB.

Winter Orb
Howling Mine
Black Knight (with the 5th pic) oooo perty.
Crusade
Earthquake
Gloom
Lord of Atlantis
Meekstone
Nevy's Disc
Zombie Master
Raging River - awww cmon it'd be fun in standard!

That's all I could think of that hasn't been printed in Black borders in some time.

Zombie master will not come back. Lord of undead is in his place, and he is going nowhere. Lord of atlantice is in TS timeshifted, so I doubt it will be in 10th. Earthquake actually lost in a voting against Hurricane, so it will not be there for sure.

Only classic card that I see coming back in your list is the mine. Although I'll sell my soul for a set of 10th edition foil Black Knight if it comes out.:smile: