PDA

View Full Version : Grand prix columbus trial in the netherlands 8 april 2007

solidarity!
04-09-2007, 04:05 AM
:laugh: Hi this is my tournament report on 8 april 2007 granprix Columbus trial.

I woke up at 5:30 packing my stuff and at 7:00 I got to the station and my friend was waiting there and we got on the train,Then it was a pretty hard job finding it.And when we arrived there were some shops and I bought 3 tropical island so one more to go and 4 mishra’s factories.The tournament started at 11:15 And they introduced first the head judge jaap(he is a level 5 judge)and we started with 135 people.

I play solidarity.

First round
Red threshold

Game 1

Eventually I wish for twincast and I go off on 6 lands I play high tide he counter it I remand high tide drawing high tide play high tide he taps with fire/ice a island ok then he forces my high tide I force back then he forces again I say ok I take my turn drawing impulse having a hand of high tide twincast meditate impulse and I pass the turn then I go off in his turn him without counters.

Then he gives up because he has no sideboard.

Second round
Against Yaran somebody I know with white weenie.

First game
I play island go he plays hound of konda and the judges are coming this way that he forgot a sideboard card and it was a jotun grunt he gets a game loss.

Second game
There is not much happing he plays some creatures and eventually I go off.

Third round
Against goblins

Game 1
He plays lackey I force of will his lackey and well much did not happen further I got my combo and I combo off.

Game 2
Again I force a lackey he plays some weak goblins further eventually chalice of the void on 2 I impulse into remand I counter it next the he plays chalice of the voind on 2 again and I go off.

Fourth round
Against aluren
Game 1
He plays wall of blossoms a cabal therapy wall of roots and with the cabal therapy he guesses wrong i like brainstorm and mindtricking.

Game 2
This time he plays 2 cabal therapy and only plays them not flashback them and some walls and raven familiar and I combo off on turn 6.

Fifth round
Against charbelcher

Game 1
He spoils himself to death.

Game 2
he was faster and played xantids and duressess like a madman.

Game 3
I remand a lot of stuff and force some stuff over and over and I combo off while he activated a charbelcher then eventually he activates welder and I respond to it and I win with my lethal freeze.

Sixth round

A draw.

Seventh round

A draw.

And I got 6th at the prizes and I could choose out of 3 cards call of the herd asian darksteel colossus asian or a beta black knight psa 9 graded and I took the knight.

Top 8 elimination.

Round 1
Against hannifish.

Game 1
he plays meddling mage I remand he forces my remand ok then I wish then I keep sudden shock in hand for a while and I combo off I play tide ok then reset making all a ruckus about it I win the counter war and he plays stifle on my brain freeze and I force.

Game 2
He has no mage only a army of a lot of guys and I am on 4 something like that when I combo off.

Round 2
Against tes

Game 1
He plays gemstone mine I play island he plays gemstone mine I play island he plays eot plunge into darkness and he takes his turn and while he is comboing I combo off in response with 3 land he completely did not expect it.

Game 2
Well I am with 3 land he plays a lot of mana and ill gotten gains I am ok and then I take back tide remand brainstorm and he plays burning wish leaving 5 mana I think and the level 5 judge gives me a warning for slow play perhaps he was not seeing something or he wanted to go home fast and I remand the burning wish knowing that he has only 4 mana spells while he has 3 mana and I am like weeee and he scoops.

Finals!!!!

Against goblins

It was there that you could see each others decklist and the judge just layed it somewhere on the table while I was going to the bathroom and I never saw it and he said I laid in on the table and with all the other games he said heres the decklist of the opponent.

Well against a goblins player who was 15th all goblins were hated out but some dropped before the top 8

Game 1
Not knowing he plays goblins I keep a hand with 2 volcanics and I lose.

Game 2
I got a really bad hand.

So goblins mostly only need luck and some playskill mostly luck though to win.

He wins the trip to Columbus and I got second.

This was my first really big tournament And I am happy on the results!

Props
For me making soo few mistakes.
For the other guys who wished me good luck.
Slops
The level 5 judge for being a bit irritated and giving me a slow play warning and for not showing me the decklist.
And for goblins having luck again.

Didier

Blaukreuz
04-09-2007, 11:32 AM
good job, where can we see the top8 decklists of this event?

solidarity!
04-09-2007, 11:39 AM
i only know my decklist but ill try to find the others

Blaukreuz
04-09-2007, 11:57 AM
hm, maybe you know the decktypes that made Top8 after swiss rounds?

Bahamuth
04-09-2007, 12:04 PM
Well, real top 8 was different from the top 8 playing for the trip to Columbus. I do know the T8 playing for the trip, but I'm not too sure about the real T8

Top 8 for Columbus:
Gobs
Gobs
2-Land Belcher
Counterbalance(U/W)
UGR ********
Solidarity
Terrageddon
(Not in the right order)

The real top 4 was:
1) Tom vd Logt - Some weird deck with counterbalance (This guy wins every tournament he comes to....)
2) Nick Kruithof - Belcher
3) Roelke - GWB Terrageddon
4) Daniël Camps - 4C *****

Eldariel
04-09-2007, 12:40 PM
1) Tom vd Logt - Some weird deck with counterbalance (This guy wins every tournament he comes to....)

UW Counterbalance/Top control with Sensei Sensei (Helm of Awakening+Tops+Freeze) kill? If so, I helped him test the deck and show how horribly it loses to Faerie Stompy (the fellow was Dutch and said he was testing for a tournament, so might just be he's the same guy) :D

On another note, gj Top 2ing, too bad you didn't win :(

We can construct the Top 8 for Columbus at least to this degree:

Gobs
Solidarity
TES
Terrageddon/Balance/Thresh/Belcher
Hanni Fish (it's the 8th deck, I presume, since it was in the report and isn't in that list and that list only has 7 decks)

Elf_Ascetic
04-09-2007, 01:26 PM
Can you post the report (in English is ok) on benelegacy.nl? :) Tnx, Didier.

I went 3-4 with Spanish Inquisition. Got some bad luck, but it was a nice day overall.

Caboose
04-09-2007, 01:53 PM
Do they actually give you a "trip" to Columbus? Like, a plane ticket? That's the way it sounded in your report.

Anyways, no offense, but I'm glad one less Solidarity deck will be absent from the GP. Even though Thresh has better game against Solidarity than Goblins, I am hoping for Solidarity to die out. So the less representation at the GP, the better.

Congrats on your success at such a large tournament, though.

Happy Gilmore
04-09-2007, 02:10 PM
Well done with Solidarity! T2 was a shame though, you opponent had a substancial advantage over you knowing what you were playing. Good Job regardless.

Could you post your list when you get a chance?

Blaukreuz
04-09-2007, 02:34 PM
Do they actually give you a "trip" to Columbus? Like, a plane ticket? That's the way it sounded in your report.

yeah, flight and hotel for Columbus.

Bahamuth
04-09-2007, 02:41 PM

Anyways, no offense, but I'm glad one less Solidarity deck will be absent from the GP. Even though Thresh has better game against Solidarity than Goblins, I am hoping for Solidarity to die out. So the less representation at the GP, the better.

Congrats on your success at such a large tournament, though.

I'm actually pretty happy a Solidarity deck came on such a high place in such a large tournament. There were actually only 2 Solidarity-players there, me and solidarity!. I went a poor 3-4 tough....

Alex_Van_R
04-09-2007, 02:49 PM
The winner of the tournament was Mark Lambrechts. His nickname at the source is Reagens.

mogote
04-09-2007, 04:04 PM
We can construct the Top 8 for Columbus at least to this degree:

Gobs
Solidarity
TES
Hanni Fish (it's the 8th deck, I presume, since it was in the report and isn't in that list and that list only has 7 decks)
Unfortunately, we can only construct the top 8 for Columbus.
From reading a German tournament report I learned that players were asked to drop from the top 8 if they weren't interested in actually using the flight to Columbus. So 6 players from the top 8 after final standings dropped and other players according to their ranking in the final standings got a chance to play in the top 8 for Columbus. The final winner with Goblins finished the Swiss rounds at 15th place with 5-2.

Awesomator
04-09-2007, 06:42 PM
Were you running the build with Blue Elemental Blast in the board?

Reagens
04-10-2007, 02:28 AM
Actually I finished 12th in the swiss. I'll write a full report later.
The reason I won against Didier was because I twice had a lackey in my opening hand which he couldn't force and I always kept control with my wastelands in the first match (he had 2 volcanics in his opening hand) and rishadan port in the second.
Another advantage for me was that I probably know Solidarity at least as good as he does since I have been playing the deck for over a year.
This was my first tournament playing goblins and I was quite happy with my choice. In the swiss I only lost to Tom van der Logt because I didn't find a second land for my engineered explosives in the second game. My other loss was against a red burn deck. I didn't mull in those games when I should have, but his sideboard hate was too much (playing flamebreak and pyroclasm).
For those who would be interested, I played a red-green-black version.
And I still have to decide if I'll be playing solidarity or goblins in Columbus.

Lukas Preuss
04-10-2007, 08:03 AM
Congratulations! I watched your first round of the T8, because your opponent was one of my friends. He made a few mistakes (like fetching for Tundra instead of Underground Sea game 1 when he had a basic plains already, which prevented him from plaing Dark Confidant)... but you had some small misplays as well (why the fuck did you let him put all your blue cards and the Flash of insight on the bottom of your library when you could have killed the Grut instead?). But it was a good game... you seem to have practiced a lot... it was quite nice to watch. :)

Slops
The level 5 judge for being a bit irritated and giving me a slow play warning and for not showing me the decklist.

Yeah... that judge was irritating as hell. I actually didn't like him... He had absolutely no idea what he was talking about... telling you guys that the resolved High Tides were still on the stack, etc.

solidarity!
04-10-2007, 08:07 AM
Maindeck

3 cunning wish
3 meditate
4 reset
4 high tide
4 impulse
4 brainstorm
2 opt
2 brain freeze
2 flash of insight
4 force of will
4 remand
3 turnabout
3 think twice
4 flooded strand
2 polluted delta
2 volcanic island
10 island

Sideboard
3 hydroblast
1 sudden shock
1 chain of vapor
1 echoing truth
1 rebuild
1 turnabout
3 twincast
1 meditate
1 urza's rage
1 starstorm
1 stroke of genius

The reason i lost to goblins,I had some bad luck and some play mistakes and i was exhausted and i boarded wrong now i think of it.

And it was not a misplay, using mana in the upkeep is bad since if he plays a mage i need to counter it and i did not got much time since he had some creatures, then to wish for something takes some time.

And i enjoyed the hannifish match!

Ewokslayer
04-10-2007, 12:12 PM
How did you find the Think Twices and the Starstorm?
It doesn't seem that you used the Starstorm at all during the tournament.
I haven't found it to be usefull really at all.

Where the Think Twices effective in the aggro control matches as they are intended? Did they clog up your hand against straight Aggro?

solidarity!
04-10-2007, 04:10 PM
I can imagine that at some point in the game it is useful against fish only that point did not come at all,I think when hannifish has confidant out and meddling mage it is useful/mostly needed to get them both off the field and fish often has that so we have no choice or another cool card will be invented with only one red involving.

And think twice i really like it against control aggro/control matchups ill go as far to say it is sometimes insane good,to recover from comboing or from a force of will or just for drawing multiple cards with 1 card so you can combo out with 7 cards that is really important!

Pee-Dee-2
04-10-2007, 04:26 PM
@Reagens: Congratulations for getting the trip to Colombus. Its no secret that you had much luck on sunday.
I'm the guy you played against in the 7th round. I still was on 4:1:1 and with a win maybe in T8.
First game you`d win with a better hand. Your 1st turn lackey was stronger, than my 1st turn Vial. In Second game, I hold a hand with Plateau, 2 Pyrocinesis, 2 Swords to Plowshares, 1 Gempalm Incinerator and 1 Piledriver...with one more land, knowing you'll never get a Gobbo in play. Nasty, that you had the first turn waste :(

But remeber: If you think about playing Goblins in America, test the mirror. You'll never play cards like Lackey after boarding. In mirror, they are to bad.

One question? Why had I to explain the Goblin Pyromancer? Did you not play it? It's one of the Gobins, who kill imidietly...

mogote
04-11-2007, 03:57 AM
UW Counterbalance/Top control with Sensei Sensei (Helm of Awakening+Tops+Freeze) kill? If so, I helped him test the deck and show how horribly it loses to Faerie Stompy (the fellow was Dutch and said he was testing for a tournament, so might just be he's the same guy) :D

Here's the deck Tom van den Logt piloted to 1st place:

4 Silver Knight
4 Meddling Mage
3 Exalted Angel
3 Trinket Mage
4 Brainstorm
3 Counterbalance
3 Sensei’s Divining Top
4 Swords to Plowshares
2 Fire / Ice
2 Umezawa’s Jitte
3 Stifle
1 Tormod’s Crypt
1 Engineered Plague
1 Pithing Needle
4 Tundra
2 Volcanic Island
2 Plateau
1 Ancient Den
1 Seat of the Synod
2 Polluted Delta
2 Windswept Heath
4 Flooded Strand
2 Plains
2 Island

SB:
3 Disenchant
3 Yothun Grunt
3 Kataki War’s Wage
2 Red Elemental Blast
1 Blue Elemental Blast
1 Pyroblast
1 Hydroblast
1 Engineered Explosives

Top 16 decklists can be found here (http://www.zkforum.de/showthread.php?p=480768#post480768)

AfFOWnity made 5th place after the Swiss!

Eldariel
04-11-2007, 05:42 AM
Nope, not the deck I'm thinking of then. It's just Trinket Angels, the deck I saw had a combo-kill.

Reagens
04-11-2007, 01:14 PM
@Reagens: Congratulations for getting the trip to Colombus. Its no secret that you had much luck on sunday.
I'm the guy you played against in the 7th round. I still was on 4:1:1 and with a win maybe in T8.
First game you`d win with a better hand. Your 1st turn lackey was stronger, than my 1st turn Vial. In Second game, I hold a hand with Plateau, 2 Pyrocinesis, 2 Swords to Plowshares, 1 Gempalm Incinerator and 1 Piledriver...with one more land, knowing you'll never get a Gobbo in play. Nasty, that you had the first turn waste :(

But remeber: If you think about playing Goblins in America, test the mirror. You'll never play cards like Lackey after boarding. In mirror, they are to bad.

One question? Why had I to explain the Goblin Pyromancer? Did you not play it? It's one of the Gobins, who kill imidietly...

I'm getting a tad tired of people calling me lucky. I did have a good starting hand against you in both games but I can assure you that I had my part of bad draws too.
What I want to say about the second game is simple. You KNEW I was playing goblins. You KNEW I played 4 wastelands yet you chose to keep a hand with only removal a non-basic land and a piledriver. I wouldn't say that I was the lucky one, I'd say that you gambled and lost and that you should accept that. I myself on the other hand kept a hand with a lot of goblins and some disruption which proved to be a solid strategy.
In reference to the lackey thing. I kept the lackey because he is a must kill if you don't have any blockers. Besides I had very little to board against the mirror. I only boarded in an extra sharpshooter and I believe I sided out my tinkerer or something.
I don't think pyromancer is the best card in the mirror. Far from it.
When I built my deck I was aware that my mirror wouldn't be very good post board. On the other hand I also knew I had the advantage pre-board because of my 2 sharpshooters.

Pee-Dee-2
04-12-2007, 04:23 AM
Sure, I accept the lost. A know that it was a kind of gambling, keeping my 2nd hand, while you were playing 4 Wastelands. I only said, that if a would have drawn the 2nd land, it would have become more harder for you (to draw a land while having 23 in my Deck is normally not a problem) . Removal is in mirror extrem important (thats why you took the 2nd sharpshooter in) :smile:

Lackey isn't really "must kill" in mirror becuase it's a 1/1 Goblin without abilities for 1 Mana. In the miror match, your opponent wil play about 20 creatures plus removal. So the the lackey isn't realy the best creature.

The Pyromancer: It's only a massremoval or a creature to win the game when it comes into play, nothing more and nothing less. You don't have to play it, but you can. Didn't you play at least one copy of him main? The normal way is to play one. In Mirror you can leave him or put him out. IMO it's better to leave him.

In conclusion, Vial Gobbo Decks are very lucky to play. With good hands and good Ringleader you win nearly against all type of Decks. You won and won the top 8 and you might have done some things right in the tournament :wink:

Reagens
04-12-2007, 06:36 AM
I never once considered pyromancer to play in my deck. That's something for the goblin forum.
I was quite happy with my list and I think I'll play it on my next tournament to see if it stays that way.