PDA

View Full Version : Who has byes?

Mulletus
05-09-2007, 11:32 AM
List your byes for GP Columbus! This way we can see who has them from the source.

I got 2 Byes for my eternal rating at 1901.

Bryant Cook
05-09-2007, 11:51 AM
Kaddy's killed my rating, I'm down to 1814... so 1 bye.

juventus
05-09-2007, 12:00 PM
I have 2 byes with 1901 as well, lawl.

Di
05-09-2007, 12:17 PM
Kaddy's tourny hurt me too and brought my rating down to 1796. If only those fucking ComixZone tournaments went into the DCI I'd probably be sitting on a 1900 rating as well.

Fortunately I still have over an 1800 rating in constructed so I still get a bye.

Deep6er
05-09-2007, 12:21 PM
I have 1 because of pro points. Going to try to win some this weekend though.

calosso
05-09-2007, 12:34 PM
I have 1 because of pro points. Going to try to win some this weekend though.
DITTO

Janos_Wuryon
05-09-2007, 03:00 PM
I got 3 from winning the rochester GPT. feels good to be able to skip the friday grinders and sleep in some on saturday.

Guy I Don't Know
05-09-2007, 03:04 PM
I have two cuz of constr or 1.5.

Still think about being there for the grinders, at least the curtail of it because that effects the metagame for the tourney a lot

UrDraco
05-09-2007, 03:10 PM
I have three byes because of the NC GPT. Too bad they don't add onto byes from rating....

Raider Bob
05-09-2007, 03:34 PM
I am at 1825, so looks like I have 1 Bye.

Meeee
05-09-2007, 04:09 PM
1 buy from constructed, I knew all that type 2 would have some use one day, now if they only gave buys for amount of Power won... I guess some people wouldnt even have to play day one then.

Shriekmaw
05-09-2007, 05:51 PM
I have 1 bye thanks to my constructed rating. I just don't play Legacy enough to have a high rating there, but its nice that they use constructed or eternal rating for the GP Columbus byes.

LandDestroyer
05-09-2007, 07:25 PM
I have 1 bye from a Constructed rating of 1847.

I did a thread on mtgsalvation about how they should lower the rating requirement for byes based off eternal rating since so few people get them off that rating and many eternal format players don't play constructed formats much. My eternal rating is right under 1740. I feel that's worthy of an eternal bye b/c of where it ranks me in the world. If I was ranked that high in the world in construced, i'd probably get 3 byes.

My limited rating is like 1780 or something.

- Chris

Bane of the Living
05-09-2007, 07:31 PM
I have a bye thanks to Constructed but I think thats pretty unfair.

I dont see the ploy in awarding type 2 players. The format isnt a tiny bit different like extended. Its like a whole different game. I hate the fact that total noobs to this format arent gonna get washed away in the first three rounds.

Guy I Don't Know
05-09-2007, 09:01 PM
Well... then you can beat them. If you could play a thallid deck( u know what i mean) in the 4th round when u are sitting at 3-0 wouldn't you be happy? The more crappy players with byes the easier the tournament will be to win.

Bane of the Living
05-09-2007, 09:56 PM
Well... then you can beat them. If you could play a thallid deck( u know what i mean) in the 4th round when u are sitting at 3-0 wouldn't you be happy? The more crappy players with byes the easier the tournament will be to win.

Or its some punk ass playing one of those decks that just wins sometimes like Goblins or I donno, Hulk Flash.

freakish777
05-09-2007, 10:19 PM
@Bane, keep in mind Constructed Rating includes Standard and Extended (and if I'm not mistaken, Block as well)...

Guy I Don't Know
05-09-2007, 10:26 PM
The reason they made byes for constructed is so more people would play... I don't know about you but I don't go to a Grand Prix if i have zero byes...

Mr. Nipples
05-09-2007, 10:40 PM
I have 3 byes from winning the Richmond GPT, so you'll likely find me scouting/chilling for the first several rounds in Columbus.

noobslayer
05-09-2007, 11:02 PM
Rating of 1683 (curse you Kadi's III). I'm thinking the Friday night GPT is a good idea.

dre4m
05-09-2007, 11:08 PM
I have a bye for constructed rating, but I'll be trying to win two more in the GPT's anyways.

TheInfamousBearAssassin
05-09-2007, 11:48 PM
I have 3 byes from winning the Richmond GPT, so you'll likely find me scouting/chilling for the first several rounds in Columbus.

Really? That's pretty impressive. What did you play?

Wait, who are you again?

noobslayer
05-10-2007, 12:15 AM
Really? That's pretty impressive. What did you play?

Wait, who are you again?

I hear some guy won a Duel for Duals a while back, but I can never recall his name.

Mr. Nipples
05-10-2007, 12:30 AM
I hear some guy won a Duel for Duals a while back, but I can never recall his name.
IT WAS ME!!! I WAS THE TURKEY ALL ALONG!!! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5QOsFEoIxs)

Gekoratel
05-10-2007, 01:08 AM
I'm rocking the 1 bye as many others are. I was a little frustrated from the GPT because I thought I would get more than 16 points for going 4-2 in matches but I suppose its tricky to get those few points you need to hit another bye. Needing 30+ points makes traveling to the Canada GPT less appealing.

frogboy
05-10-2007, 01:48 AM
I dont see the ploy in awarding type 2 players. The format isnt a tiny bit different like extended. Its like a whole different game. I hate the fact that total noobs to this format arent gonna get washed away in the first three rounds.

The rules are the same. I would imagine most "noobs" with three byes on rating or Pro levels are significantly better than you are at Magic, too.

Nightmare
05-10-2007, 07:20 AM
The rules are the same. I would imagine most "noobs" with three byes on rating or Pro levels are significantly better than you are at Magic, too.
This is true, but even with a 1900 eternal rating, we wouldn't be getting 2 byes in a block constructed GP.

LandDestroyer
05-10-2007, 08:40 AM
This is true, but even with a 1900 eternal rating, we wouldn't be getting 2 byes in a block constructed GP.

I think that's a really good point. I think the requirement for byes based off eternal rating should be lower (since it's so hard to bring up an eternal rating without ptq and more events) and you should probably have to have like a 1900 constructed rating for 1 bye at an eternal event to be fair. Conversly, if you have a 1900 eternal rating you could get 1 bye at a constructed event.

Just some thoughts

- chris

calosso
05-10-2007, 08:40 AM
People should be happy that pro's get bye at at legacy GP, because it gives them an added incentive in going, besides getting more pro points.
The reason eternal rating doesn't matter is because people who only play legacy should not be rewarded with byes at block or standard, or even extended. The people who have high constructed rating play Standard, extended, and even block, that is three formats they have to be good at to keep there rating up.
most importantly Wizards doesn't give a shit about legacy.

It really isn't that hard to get your rating up, you are probably not willing to travel for them.

Nightmare
05-10-2007, 09:07 AM
People should be happy that pro's get bye at at legacy GP, because it gives them an added incentive in going, besides getting more pro points.
The reason eternal rating doesn't matter is because people who only play legacy should not be rewarded with byes at block or standard, or even extended. The people who have high constructed rating play Standard, extended, and even block, that is three formats they have to be good at to keep there rating up.
most importantly Wizards doesn't give a shit about legacy.

It really isn't that hard to get your rating up, you are probably not willing to travel for them.Unsuprisingly, this is completely wrong.

People who only play Standard (or Extended, or Block) have just as little reason to be rewarded at a Legacy event as we do at a Standard event. If you honestly believe you can't keep a good rating without playing more than one of those formats, you're wrong. You could very easily stay away from extended and block, and maintain your rating based on Standard alone. The same is true for block or extended. Look at people like Diablos - he hasn't played in a non-legacy event in over a year, and he still has an 1800+ rating.
Giving Legacy players another hurdle to jump through, while rewarding pros and "normal" format players (at a Legacy tournament) seems like a pretty bum rap. It did at Philly, it does now. The only part of your argument that holds any water is Wizards not caring about Legacy.

bigbear102
05-10-2007, 10:59 AM
I think you guys are forgetting about the fact that Extended, Standard, and Block Constructed Grand Prixs all get enough people without giving Legacy and Vintage player an incentive to show up.

Without giving people who normally wouldn't go an incentive, we would not have enough of a player base to run the GP, or any future ones. Byes aren't to reward the players, they are to get them to show up so Wizards can make money. It's not that they don't care about Legacy, it's just that they don't need our support to run other Constructed GP's, where Legacy GP's need other format's support. This isn't to say that Wizards cares about Legacy, but I think the bye situation is just because it's not gonna help them at all.

frogboy
05-10-2007, 08:05 PM
I'm fairly sure a significant reason the lists are separated is because Wizards doesn't want people qualifying off random 8k Eternal events. I don't know that for sure, but it makes really a lot of sense.

Constructed formats are constructed formats. Saying that a PTQ reg is going to be awful at Legacy is totally wrong. They just don't know what's in the metagame. About a week's worth of testing solves that problem. Most people who have high Constructed ratings off PTQs are probably better than most Legacy regs, too, although that's kind of an unfair comparison since you're comparing the best of one group to all of another. There are definitely a lot of bad PTQ regulars, but their rating is also pretty bad, so w/e.

Lego
05-10-2007, 10:10 PM
Scooping to Slay at Kadi's lost me 10 points :-P I think I've got one bye.

cdr
05-10-2007, 11:14 PM
I'm fairly sure a significant reason the lists are separated is because Wizards doesn't want people qualifying off random 8k Eternal events. I don't know that for sure, but it makes really a lot of sense.

People Qed for the Masters Series off of random 16k events (most events are 16k, not 8). I really doubt that's a factor at all.

Cavius The Great
05-11-2007, 10:50 AM
Hey guys, do you have to pre-register to receive byes, or will you get them automatically?

UrDraco
05-11-2007, 11:37 AM
I don't think its fair that constructed rating can be used to byes at an Eternal format, but do I mind, no. I would rather play against people that are unexperienced with Legacy in the 4th+ rounds, even if they are a good player in general, than play against an experienced legacy player.

I don't think they will ever let you use eternal rating for Standard byes because you don't have to put your eternal rating as risk in a standard tournament. A person could just work really hard for a 1900+ or 2000 rating in eternal and have 3 byes for life at the countless Standard GP's. I know someone could just get a big constructed rating and use it, risk free, to get 2-3 byes at Eternal GP's but there are so few Eternal GP's that the effect is negligible.

Ewokslayer
05-11-2007, 12:29 PM
List your byes for GP Columbus! This way we can see who has them from the source.

I got 2 Byes for my eternal rating at 1901.

Congrats

Scooping to you at Kaddy's cost me a bye :frown:

9 John R. LaCasse Loss 1793
8 Geoffrey T. Smelski Win 1799

Ouch, that hurts alot.

Who knew I would have gained about 50+ points in rating at one tournament?

frogboy
05-11-2007, 01:07 PM
I don't think they will ever let you use eternal rating for Standard byes because you don't have to put your eternal rating as risk in a standard tournament. A person could just work really hard for a 1900+ or 2000 rating in eternal and have 3 byes for life at the countless Standard GP's. I know someone could just get a big constructed rating and use it, risk free, to get 2-3 byes at Eternal GP's but there are so few Eternal GP's that the effect is negligible.

Oh actually that makes a ton of sense. Between that and what Akki said I retract my previous statement.

Volt
05-11-2007, 01:43 PM
I don't have any byes. Hell, I don't even have an eternal rating. However, I do have a huge, swinging cock.

I win.

scrumdogg
05-11-2007, 01:58 PM
Hey guys, do you have to pre-register to receive byes, or will you get them automatically?

Carlos, you do not now nor will you ever have byes, so don't worry about it :cool: To answer your question, however, the byes are automatically calculated & can be accessed by GP staff to verify whether (generic player) has any byes & if so, how many.

Mulletus
05-11-2007, 02:04 PM

No you dont. You just go and they should have you listed in the bye section of round one. Or they have a time where you can go up and protest with rakes and torches. I had a bye in GP Jersey, and I was listed at the top of the list with the number of byes next to my name.

@ Calosso-
What other event did you get pro points at? They sent me a an email telling me that I am no longer in level 1 from GP Philly.

Michael Keller
05-11-2007, 04:38 PM
I would have had one if the tournaments at Comix Zone had been sanctioned/received/processed.

Gekoratel
05-11-2007, 09:01 PM
@ Calosso-
What other event did you get pro points at? They sent me a an email telling me that I am no longer in level 1 from GP Philly.
Yeah all of the people that hit level 1 status from getting Pro Points at a GP are now considered to have Amatuer Status. This is really good for the solid Legacy players so they can win the amatuer bonus.

Mulletus
05-11-2007, 11:49 PM
Yeah but what I'm saying is that pro players club level one goes away. I got my point in 2005, and it lasted untill the end of that season and the folowing season. So in January the DCI emailed me the fact that I'm not in PPC L1 anymore. So I wanted to know what event Calosso got the new point(s) in.

Guy I Don't Know
05-11-2007, 11:56 PM
Yeah all of the people that hit level 1 status from getting Pro Points at a GP are now considered to have Amatuer Status. This is really good for the solid Legacy players so they can win the amatuer bonus.

Especially the JSSers who want to own little people a while longer... Having amatuer status is a gold mine.

frogboy
05-12-2007, 12:39 AM
Mulletus: Double check to see if they sent you another email. When they updated the club last year, they reset everyone to level zero and sent out an email as such. About an hour later they sent everyone an email again telling them their new level.

I just checked, 22 Dec 2006 was the date.

There's probably a list somewhere of people with awarded byes on PPC levels. Go look at that. If it doesn't work out, email Andy Heckt. (Andy.Heckt at wizards dot com)

oh edit: If your point is from Philly and you didn't go to Honolulu, Philly was in the 2005 season, so doesn't count towards 2007.

andrew77
05-13-2007, 12:53 PM
I've got a third round bye from winning the nyc gpt.

Tom LaPille
05-13-2007, 01:36 PM
I have two byes from my constructed rating, which is 1991!

JACO
05-15-2007, 12:27 PM
Who has byes?
Bitches and Hoes West Coast, that's who.

Nightmare
05-16-2007, 07:28 AM
I Do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mulletus
05-16-2007, 02:04 PM
CG Mr.Nightmare!! The patron wizard hasn't taken all your dignity, what got reported for you?

Shriekmaw
05-16-2007, 02:08 PM
I Do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congrads on the byes, I guess you got exactly the 4 points you needed.

You should talk to some sense into byrant when he played and lost his 1 bye that he had. I think if he went 2-2 instead of dropped, he could of saved himself.

Nightmare
05-16-2007, 02:22 PM
Thanks Nick! I told him not to play in the tournament to begin with. Not much more I can do about that.

CG Mr.Nightmare!! The patron wizard hasn't taken all your dignity, what got reported for you?I made sure this ComixZone tourney got reported. I pulled a you and went 1-0 drop.

bigbear102
05-16-2007, 08:41 PM
Ok, to answer Mulletus's question instead of having 5 people tell him useless information..... Calosso made day 2 at GP Jersey I believe, that's where he got his point.

And I missed on byes by 19 points.... but I also am not going and didn't attend the last 3 Legacy events I could have, so who knows what would have happened?