PDA

View Full Version : Boros Ponza

Bane of the Living
08-13-2007, 09:57 PM
I like the idea of Red White aggro in legacy. Unfortunately it see's little play. Here's a list I came up with out of boredom.

3 Plateau
4 Flagstone of Trokair
4 Bloodstained Mire
1 Wooded Foothills
3 Rishadin Port
4 Wasteland
2 Taiga
1 Savannah

4 Mogg Fanatic
3 Martyr of Flames
4 Tarmagoyf
4 Jotun Grunt
4 Veteran Brawler

4 Mana Tithe
4 Pillage
4 Boom//Bust
3 Crack the Earth
4 Swords to Plowshares

This is what I came up with, Jitte should probably be main. Im not sure about Bolt because I want to keep a ponza shell for disruption.

I love the idea of playing Grunt, Brawlers, and Goyf all maindeck. No other deck has a ratio of cheap fat guys like that.

08-13-2007, 10:03 PM
it looks kinda tough for the deck to come up with double red for pillage, i would rather see you tone back the mana denial or the flagstones because the draws seem a little inconsistent. I think helix is also necessary somewhere in the deck.

Bane of the Living
08-13-2007, 10:07 PM
The #1 reason for Pillage was to help deal with Aether Vial. Maybe I can stick a couple Tin-Street Hooligans in there instead.

Nydaeli
08-13-2007, 11:16 PM
I'm assuming Martyr of Flames is Martyr of Ashes. If so, it sucks pretty badly. You should be running Kird Ape in its place. You might also want Isamaru/Lions.

frogboy
08-13-2007, 11:39 PM
Why are you playing Swords to Plowshares over Lightning Bolt? If it's because Swords kills Tarmogoyf just play Temporal Isolation.

This seems significantly worse than a RW aggro deck with one mana bears and inf burn, but whatever.

thefreakaccident
08-14-2007, 02:05 AM
wouldn't grunt just suck the life out of your own goyf?

7 colorless producing lands in a 22 land manabase?

pillage?

boom//bust?

why veteran brawlers?

if you could answer some of these questions so I feel a little less confused... I would be very appreciative.

helix and jitte are auto includes in my book.

Maveric78f
08-14-2007, 04:48 AM
I like interaction between boom // bust and fetches or wasteland or Flagstone. I like the interaction between crack the earth and Flagstone.
I like also the fact that Brawlers finally don't suck that much. I always liked the association of tarmogoyf + fanatic (kills opponent tarmo and not yours).

I don't like jitte in such a deck. You don't need life gain, you don't need removal (well STP, bolt and helix are better), your mana base is too weak to play jitte, you do'nt need to boost your creatures as they already are the biggest in legacy.

I don't like martyr. I don't get why you play it. It's difficult to argue not to play it if I don't even get why you play it. Isamaru looks far better in that slot (I'm not sure about kird ape's ability to be often enough 2/3 in a deck where green is only a splash).

I don't like rishadan port. Your mana base is too weak to afford it. Maybe you could play vial if you absolutely want to play port.

I would not say that I don't like STP, but bolt and helix look better because burn is enough to get rid of tarmogoyf when you play that many big creatures.

I don't like white force spike, your plan is not to counterspell your opponent's spell but to prevent your opponent to play spells. I would play helix in this slot.

I don't like pillage because it is too much colored, but you surely need a LD in this slot. There is raze but it is very dangerous (it can be countered and you'll still lose a land). Maybe Rith's charm would be better in that slot. Its versatility is awesome.

Based on your concept, my "intuitionnal" list would be this one :

4 Plateau
4 Flagstone of Trokair
4 Windswept Heath
2 Wooded Foothills
4 Wasteland
1 Taiga
1 Savannah
1 Forest
1 Plains

4 Mogg Fanatic
3 Isamaru
4 Tarmagoyf
4 Jotun Grunt
4 Veteran Brawler

4 Lightning Helix
2 Rith's Charm
2 Pillage
4 Boom//Bust
4 Crack the Earth
3 Lightning Bolt

SB :
Magus of the moon (heavyly land included control decks)
Pyrostatic pillar (control + combo)
Pyroclasm (combo)
Raze (everything not packing counterspells)