PDA

View Full Version : [Deck] Combo/aggro/control



Nosomo.
09-03-2007, 04:25 PM
This is a deck that thefreakaccident made a little while ago

4 wasteland
4 underground sea
2 watery grave
4 polluted delta
1 bloodstained mire
1 flooded strand
1 island
1 swamp
3 chrome mox

creatures//10
4 trinket mage
3 phyrexian dreadnought
3 Dark Confidant


combo//
3 doomsday
1 helm of awakening
1 ideas unbound
1 brainfreeze
(and two tops)

control//
3 counterbalance
3 sensei's divining top
4 mystical tutor (maybe vault)(or brainstorm)
4 force of will
3 daze
4 stifle
2 trickbind

sideboard//
1 pithing needle
1 tormad's crypt
1 chalice of the void
2 Trickbind
4 Engineered Plague
3 Extripate
3 Propoganda

thefreakaccident
09-03-2007, 04:53 PM
to the main deck:
-1 doomsday
+1 echoing truth

sideboard:
1 tormad's crypt
1 chalice of the void
1 engineered explosives
2 Trickbind
4 Engineered Plague
3 extripate
3 ? (don't know honestly, could be many things)

The deck has been treating me very well so far...

I have been testing against all archtypes (combo, control, aggro-control, and aggro).

Against combo (TES & belcher), you are heavily favored... with the stifle affects, free countermagic, and quick clock... you can say this is a positive MU without pause.

Against aggro-control (thresh), the MU is slightly harder... your main goal is to manascrew them and gain CA through cards like trinket mage, confidant, and counterbalance. The game is much easier against the red splash, for they cannot remove the dreadnought, against the white splash you need to establish a firm amount of protection (whether that be hard counters or counterbalance). Dread is bigger than any two creatures in their deck.

Against control (landstill), your goal is simple, kill them and quickly. They are much stronger than you are once you hit the late game. The counterbalance lock shines in this MU... just be careful not to let their mass draw resolve. The combo can come in handy here (let them exhaust their resources dealing with the lock and dreadnought, then strike). The MU is hard though, the extripates come in handy second game.

Aggro (goblins), this is where you must be skilled with the deck. Save fetches and stifle their fetches/wastelands (most people will try to stifle ringleader, this is a mistake)... your goal is to get dreadnought out ASAP, before ringleader kills you. 2 swings and they're dead (remember that)... you are technically faster than them, act like it. The counterbalance lock does nothing against them for the most part, game 2 you get plagues (which unlike other decks, you can constantly dig for)... by far your hardest MU, but far from unwinnable.

This deck is based around synergy, trinkey mage synergizes with dread and top; top synergizes with CB; dread synergizes with stifle, which synergizes with wasteland... all of these synergize with draw and countermagic, which happens to be exactly what a combo deck needs/wants. Mystical tutor tutors for stifles/protection/doomsday/sideboard hate/bounce... I couldn't imagine not using it in the deck as a 4 of.

I know this isn't the first deck like this, but I haven't seen one with so much stuff in it... it looks like a pile, but it is pretty solid in my testing.

I have been a little scattered (with mass testing of various decks), but this deck has focused me... I will get numbers to you guys shortly and probably a tourney report this friday. I still need to test more, my testing has been limited (like 15 games per MU)... that isn't enough for %s, but I think it is enough to draw simple strategy from.

I will have MU analysis on those MUs within the next 3-4 days.

Citrus-God
09-03-2007, 09:43 PM
What I like about Aggro-Control is that it's answers arent dead, or at the least, terrible. Running Cards like Helm would do some serious damage to it. But this deck does seriously remind me of that Dreadnaught list TK ran at the Vintage Prelims.

Personally, I also think that the combo part makes this deck kinda dead. I would cut the Combo and rely solely on Dreadnaught.

I also see 3-4 copies of EE in this deck. They will help your aggro control match up.

Mystical Tutor needs to be Opt. What if this deck demands something else? I say Opt might be the better choice for now.

Mister Agent
09-04-2007, 12:08 AM
Hey teammates! :)

Here is a Dreadnought stifle deck that made 16th place out of 170+ players at 2007 Legacy championships for reference and ideas.

1 The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale
3 Academy Ruins
4 Underground Sea
1 Swamp
3 Polluted Delta
2 Flooded Strand
8 Island
2 Trinket Mage
4 Phyrexian Dreadnought
4 Brainstorm
1 Echoing Truth
1 Fact or Fiction
1 Misdirection
4 Duress
4 Lotus Petal
3 Merchant Scroll
3 Trickbind
4 Stifle
4 Force of Will
3 Daze

sideboard

2 Echoing Truth
3 Back to Basics
3 Energy Flux
4 Chill
3 The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale

thefreakaccident
09-04-2007, 12:09 AM
Well, what about an alternate board?

That is what it started out as, a transitional board from combo to aggro control... I could simply go back to that, but with the reverse.

so the MD would change...
-2 doomsday
-1 brainfreeze
-1 ideas unbound
-1 helm of awakening
-4 mystical tutor

+4 brainstorm
+1 dreadnought
+4 removal spells (whether it be edict, ghastly demise, or smother)

sideboard would then be:
3 doomsday
1 brainfreeze
1 helm of awakening
1 ideas unbound
4 engineered plague
3 extripate
1 trickbind
1 engineered explosives