PDA

View Full Version : [Deck] Slighoyf



SuckerPunch
09-03-2007, 11:02 PM
In the grand tradition of reviving previously dead decks just by splashing Tarmogoyf, I present you... Slighoyf

// Mana
6 Mountain
4 Taiga
4 Wooded Foothills
4 Bloodstained Mire

// Creatures
4 Kird Ape
4 Skyshroud Elite
4 Tarmogoyf
4 Keldon Marauders
4 Street Wraith

// Spells
2 Rancor
4 Lava Spike
4 Rift Bolt
4 Chain Lightning
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Fireblast

Why the Street Wraith? Because they draw you that Tarmogoyf two turns earlier for zero mana. A measily two life is easily worth that.

Why no basic forest? Because there's only ten green cards in the entire deck. Just keep fetching mountains until the turn you want to cast a green creature. If it gets blown up, so what?

Why such a low curve? Because it's sligh damn it. The deck is supposed to play two spells on turn two, three spells on turn three and kill on the fourth turn. That just isn't possible with a higher curve.

I kept the butt of all the creatures at atleast 3 to ensure that you can laugh at the measily goblins, zombies, knights, elves, hounds and all the other nonsense that continues to played in this format for some insane reason.

Keldon Marauders seems questionable but works very well. You are already dependent on attacking which means you will be burning away blockers left and right. This usually means you can count on Marauders to deal 5 damage for the bargain price of just two mana. But I am open to cutting the card for Jackal Pup, Skraggan Pit-Skulk, or Spark Elemental because any card with a casting cost higher than one sure as hell better be able to do a whole damn lot to justify it's existence in this deck.

DragoFireheart
09-03-2007, 11:12 PM
Those Elites are gonna get their asses kicked against mono-colored decks.

SuckerPunch
09-03-2007, 11:14 PM
Mono-colored decks!? What are these mono colored decks you speak of?

Well I guess Fairie Stompy and Goblins are sort of monocolored, except they both run atleast 9 nonbasic lands.

In all seriousness, if your meta has a lot of basics, just replace Elite with Jackal Pup or Skraggan Pit-Skulk (I hear he has a huge Rancor fetish).

FYI, I already know this thread is going to erupt into a grand debate about Lava Spike vs. Magma Jet. And I also know there's going to be a push to include Mogg Fanatic over Keldon Marauders to which I say, the number of weenies has actually dropped significantly since Goyf started showing up everywhere. That's why Mogg Fanatic isn't worth running now a days IMHO.

But just run whichever cards you feel like and be happy. :)

Happy Gilmore
09-04-2007, 01:08 PM
Elete will almost always be a 2/3 in this format, even against gobs.

also, Seal of Fire> Lava Spike

If you can I might suggest cutting the Wraiths for 2x Rancor and 2 more burn spells, possibly magma jet?

DragoFireheart
09-04-2007, 01:11 PM
Elete will almost always be a 2/3 in this format, even against gobs.

My meta, for some stupid reason has a lot of mono-colored decks. The last tourney I had included a mono-colored high-tide, burn and sui-black.

You don't know how freaking annoying that was >_>

Anyways how about Jungle Lions?

Happy Gilmore
09-04-2007, 01:14 PM
My meta, for some stupid reason has a lot of mono-colored decks. The last tourney I had included a mono-colored high-tide, burn and sui-black.

You don't know how freaking annoying that was >_>

Anyways how about Jungle Lions?

he cant block, that means no. I would stick with the Eletes. You could also run Nimble mongoose.

DragoFireheart
09-04-2007, 01:21 PM
he cant block, that means no. I would stick with the Eletes. You could also run Nimble mongoose.

Wait, why am I blocking? I should be smashing face right?

Volt
09-04-2007, 01:52 PM
I've tried Nimble Mongoose in Rg Sligh decks before. It's too slow.

I second the Seal of Fire suggestion, though. It's more versatile than Lava Spike, and it grows goyf.

Not sure I agree with the exclusion of Mogg Fanatic. It's still plenty useful in this format.

Grim Lavamancer is worth a look. I've always run it in Sligh decks. The anti-synergy with Goyf is not nearly as bad as you might think. Usually, you only need to keep 1 or 2 cards in your graveyard to maximize your goyf. Just be smart about which cards you remove. Also, there will be times when your opponent has a goyf and you don't, so it doesn't hurt to have a way to eat your graveyard.

Joon
09-04-2007, 02:20 PM
Just one short question: Why play this over GAGOMY?

Volt
09-04-2007, 02:22 PM
Just one short question: Why play this over GAGOMY?

I've always hated that question. Why play Sligh over a lot of things?

I don't think this thread is about breaking the format. It's about taking a deck concept and coming up with an optimal list.

DragoFireheart
09-04-2007, 02:26 PM
How does this deck handle Counter-top ? Counter-top utterly destroys this deck. [Which Thresh just so happens to run btw].

Tacosnape
09-04-2007, 02:29 PM
Why aren't Baubles in this, due to increased Tarmogoyf drawing -and- Tarmogoyf pumping and generally upping your consistency?

DragoFireheart
09-04-2007, 02:43 PM
How about this?

// Mana
5 Mountain
4 Taiga
4 Wooded Foothills
4 Forest

// Creatures
4 Kird Ape
4 Skyshroud Elite
4 Tarmogoyf
4 Street Wraith

// Spells
3 Rancor
4 Seal of Fire
4 Mishra's Bauble
4 Urza's Bauble
4 Chain Lightning
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Fireblast

HdH_Cthulhu
09-04-2007, 02:47 PM
counter top is to slow to destroy this deck... It cames down turn 3 and in turn 3 there are a lot of beaters arround so you dont have to cast spells... And you have Fireblast...

DragoFireheart
09-04-2007, 02:58 PM
counter top is to slow to destroy this deck... It cames down turn 3 and in turn 3 there are a lot of beaters arround so you dont have to cast spells... And you have Fireblast...

I suppose. So CB/top has 16 life you need to kill, counters withstanding.

Illissius
09-04-2007, 03:54 PM
I have a draft of a quite similar deck:

Gruul Deck Wins

4 Mogg Fanatic
4 Kird Ape
4 Skyshroud Elite
4 Hidden Herd
4 Tarmogoyf
4 Rancor
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Chain Lightning
2 Seal of Fire
4 Price of Progress
4 Fireblast
4 Wooded Foothills
4 Bloodstained Mire
4 Taiga
6 Mountain
SB: 4 Hidden Gibbons
SB: 4 Tormod's Crypt
SB: 4 Pyroclasm
SB: 3 Pyrokinesis

The deck is (obviously enough) built purely for speed, because you're not going to win on anything else. Your only two drops are the most amazing two drops ever, Tarmogoyf, Price of Progress, and Fireblast. You can also goldfish by turn four off a single land, which is pretty ridic. (Herd, Rancor, and then basically any two other one mana cards - or just one more Rancor brings the goldfish to 19).

SuckerPunch
09-04-2007, 05:59 PM
How about this?

// Mana
5 Mountain
4 Taiga
4 Wooded Foothills
4 Forest

// Creatures
4 Kird Ape
4 Skyshroud Elite
4 Tarmogoyf
4 Street Wraith

// Spells
3 Rancor
4 Seal of Fire
4 Mishra's Bauble
4 Urza's Bauble
4 Chain Lightning
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Fireblast

That build looks very solid too. To me, it seems a little too inconsistent. But if it works out, that's awesome.

As for Seal of Fire, I never got the logic of playing a weaker card on the off chance you draw it along with another card that it makes slightly stronger.

Besides, other decks run enchantments too, and you might just be making your opponents Tarmogoyf better while you still haven't drawn it yet.

Regardless, I haven't tried Seal of Fire yet and Lava Spike isn't exactly a great card either so you could well be right to run it instead.

P.S. Negator isn't that hot if your deck isn't running Dark Ritual IMO. Playing a 2/3 turn one deals more damage than by turn four (your kill turn) than playing a 5/5 on turn 3. Plus, it saves you two mana that you can use to cast 2 Lightning Bolts. That's one reason I don't think GAGOMY is neccesarily the better deck.

KillemallCFH
09-04-2007, 06:18 PM
I think Seal of Fire is clearly the better choice here. Not only does it pump 'Goyf, but it can be aimed at creatures. When people start replacing Chain Lightning/Lightning Bolt with Seal of Fire purely for 'Goyf food, I'd agree with you, but in this case I think the ability to hit creatures + 'Goyf pump makes up for the 1 less damage.

SuckerPunch
09-04-2007, 06:45 PM
Nihil brought up a really cool idea.

Upping the creature count so that the only burn it runs is Lightning Bolt and maybe Rift Bolt.

And then running 4 Song of Blood.

Theres a lot of solid creatures out there... Mogg Fanatic, Jackal Pup, Jungle Lion, Grim Lavamancer, Spark Elemental etc that would make Song of Blood the greatest finisher this deck could ever ask for.

ReAnimated
09-04-2007, 06:49 PM
Has anyone tested Sylvan Library in the Bauble slot ? Seems like the optimal choice , brainstorming every turn seeems good and the life loss doesn't really effect you so like i said seems Solid.

Nihil Credo
09-04-2007, 08:07 PM
Nihil brought up a really cool idea.

Upping the creature count so that the only burn it runs is Lightning Bolt and maybe Rift Bolt.

And then running 4 Song of Blood.

Theres a lot of solid creatures out there... Mogg Fanatic, Jackal Pup, Jungle Lion, Grim Lavamancer, Spark Elemental etc that would make Song of Blood the greatest finisher this deck could ever ask for.
Disclaimer: I brought this idea up in the budget RG Beats thread, having never played with Song of Blood in my life. So if it ends up sucking, don't consider me a terrible deckbuilder.

DragoFireheart
09-04-2007, 08:17 PM
Disclaimer: I brought this idea up in the budget RG Beats thread, having never played with Song of Blood in my life. So if it ends up sucking, don't consider me a terrible deckbuilder.

Why not just run the red-Giant Growth?

Barook
09-04-2007, 08:26 PM
Why not just run the red-Giant Growth?

Why would you ever do that? Giant Growth is terrible in Legacy (and most other formats) and making it red doesn't change that. Stick to Rancor and/or Jitte.

Besides, I like Illissius' build, although it relies a bit too much on your opponent playing non-basics and getting totally raped by Chalice.

Zilla
09-04-2007, 08:52 PM
How about this?

// Mana
5 Mountain
4 Taiga
4 Wooded Foothills
4 Forest

// Creatures
4 Kird Ape
4 Skyshroud Elite
4 Tarmogoyf
4 Street Wraith

// Spells
3 Rancor
4 Seal of Fire
4 Mishra's Bauble
4 Urza's Bauble
4 Chain Lightning
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Fireblast
This is remarkably similar to this list (http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5644) I proposed right around the time Tarmogoyf was spoiled. I played fewer creatures and more Burn to avoid incidental Empty the Warrens hate (Engineered Explosives, Deed, etc.), but conceptually it's nearly identical. Might give people some ideas, if they're interested.

kicks_422
09-04-2007, 09:21 PM
Look up my old Dryad Sligh thread (which Volt contributed heavily to, I might add), get the list, replace Dryad with Tarmogoyf, and fit in 2 Seal of Fire over 2 Incinerates, and you're good to go.

Sligh shouldn't rely on a single creature, you know. You should be able to execute your plan even when you dont draw everyone's favorite Lhurgoyf, or it gets sent farming.

DragoFireheart
09-04-2007, 09:29 PM
Look up my old Dryad Sligh thread (which Volt contributed heavily to, I might add), get the list, replace Dryad with Tarmogoyf, and fit in 2 Seal of Fire over 2 Incinerates, and you're good to go.

Sligh shouldn't rely on a single creature, you know. You should be able to execute your plan even when you dont draw everyone's favorite Lhurgoyf, or it gets sent farming.

You mean this? http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5166

Also, with the number of cards going into the yard, it might be a good idea to use the Grim.

>>>Mana<<<
6 Mountain
4 Taiga
4 Wooded Foothills
4 Forest

>>>Creatures<<<
4 Kird Ape
4 Grimlavamancer
4 Tarmogoyf
4 Street Wraith

>>>Spells<<<
2 Rancor
4 Seal of Fire
4 Mishra's Bauble
4 Urza's Bauble
4 Chain Lightning
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Fireblast

Zilla
09-04-2007, 10:10 PM
Also, with the number of cards going into the yard, it might be a good idea to use the Grim.
I think you'll find that Lavamancer isn't that strong with Tarmogoyf. Yes, you can selectively remove cards, but there will be times you want to use him and can't because it will hurt your Goyfs, I suspect.

DragoFireheart
09-04-2007, 10:21 PM
I think you'll find that Lavamancer isn't that strong with Tarmogoyf. Yes, you can selectively remove cards, but there will be times you want to use him and can't because it will hurt your Goyfs, I suspect.

That is true and is unfortunant.

What would the best creature be in this cast? I don't like the Elites as they tend to be weak against those mono-colored decks. [Yes they do exist :tongue: ]

I could use the Pit-Skulks, but they rely on me having damage ready. I guess with seals it could work though.

Basically I need a 3rd creature card that's a 1 CC or is an excellent 2 CC.

Maybe the Mongoose could be of use in this deck as you will hit Thresh pretty quickly, what with all the Cantrips and burn going into the yard.

------------------------------------------------------------

Regardless of what cards are used, I think we can agree that certain cards for most R/G splashed decks have certain staples.

>>>Mana<<<
4 Taiga
4 Wooded Foothills

>>>Creatures<<<
4 Kird Ape
4 Tarmogoyf

>>>Spells<<<
4 Chain Lightning
4 Lightning Bolt

The problem I have been having is trying to fill in the rest of the slots. Should I use mana accel and use beefy creatures? Should I use lots of burn? Do we want creature boosters like Jitte/Rancor and such? What creatures should I use?

DragoFireheart
09-05-2007, 03:45 PM
I was thinking about a creature to use and maybe the mongoose could work.

>>>Mana<<<
7 Mountain
4 Taiga
4 Wooded Foothills
3 Forest

>>>Creatures<<<
4 Kird Ape
4 Nimble Mongoose
4 Tarmogoyf
4 Street Wraith

>>>Spells<<<
3 Lava Spike
3 Seal of Fire
4 Mishra's Bauble
4 Urza's Bauble
4 Chain Lightning
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Fireblast

It's starting to look like a poor mans Threshold, lol.

nitewolf9
09-05-2007, 03:50 PM
I was thinking about a creature to use and maybe the mongoose could work.

>>>Mana<<<
6 Mountain
4 Taiga
4 Wooded Foothills
4 Forest

>>>Creatures<<<
4 Kird Ape
4 Nimble Mongoose
4 Tarmogoyf
4 Street Wraith

>>>Spells<<<
3 Lava Spike
3 Seal of Fire
4 Mishra's Bauble
4 Urza's Bauble
4 Chain Lightning
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Fireblast

It's starting to look like a poor mans Threshold, lol.


Why not try magus of the moon in this list? It seems that he is a game winning creature against a lot of decks if he resolves. I'd probably run him over street wraith.

outsideangel
09-05-2007, 04:34 PM
ObFreely was trying this deck out a bit ago, though after some testing I believe he's discarded it. It loses, plain and simple, to CounterTop. Also Thresh sees a lot more 'gofys that you do because of all the Cantrips.

Also I kept smashing him with Goblins. Seige-Gang is such a beating.

Jitte would probably help a bit. It wins 'gofy fights and makes your guys actual threats. (plain 2/3s just aren't that how) It should improve the Goblins matchup too, I imagine.

DragoFireheart
09-05-2007, 04:37 PM
ObFreely was trying this deck out a bit ago, though after some testing I believe he's discarded it. It loses, plain and simple, to CounterTop. Also Thresh sees a lot more 'gofys that you do because of all the Cantrips.

Also I kept smashing him with Goblins. Seige-Gang is such a beating.

Jitte would probably help a bit. It wins 'gofy fights and makes your guys actual threats. (plain 2/3s just aren't that how) It should improve the Goblins matchup too, I imagine.

What would this deck need to fight counter-top? Would throwing in Vials help at all?

SuckerPunch
09-05-2007, 08:44 PM
I've played thresh decks using the Countertop engine with this deck.

It's not a big deal.

It's extremely rare that thresh get both pieces out before turn 4. They have to cantrip to get a hold of them. Even with the cantrips, it's rare for them to get till turn 5 or 6 as they only run 3 copies of each card and no tutors. (Though counterbalance by itself can be annoying too).

And even when they get it down turn 3 or 4, there is a good chance you already dealt enough damage and have enough threats down that you can finish them off. And if not that, you have Fireblast, Rift Bolt (and in some cases, Keldon Marauders and Goyf).

Also, thresh needs a couple of turns to get threshold too. This is another big bonus for this deck, it's threats start beating really really fast.

Wallace
09-05-2007, 10:30 PM
You should Try something like this:

4 Mogg Fanatic
4 Kird Ape
4 Skyshroud Elite
4 Tarmogoyf
4 Street Wraith

4 Rancor
4 Lava Spike
4 Chain Lightning
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Fireblast

3 Mountain
1 Forest
4 Barbirian Ring
4 Taiga
4 Wooded Foothills
4 Bloodstained Mire

DragoFireheart
09-05-2007, 10:32 PM
You should Try something like this:

4 Mogg Fanatic
4 Kird Ape
4 Skyshroud Elite
4 Tarmogoyf
4 Street Wraith

4 Rancor
4 Lava Spike
4 Chain Lightning
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Fireblast

3 Mountain
1 Forest
4 Barbirian Ring
4 Taiga
4 Wooded Foothills
4 Bloodstained Mire

I am curious why you took out the Baubles. They thin the deck out and feed Goyf. They also help "protect" some of your cards from discard.

Do you think they were too slow? Did you find them to be too much of a hinderance?

kicks_422
09-05-2007, 10:34 PM
Also I kept smashing him with Goblins. Siege-Gang is such a beating.


Heresy. I had a good record against Goblins with Dryad Sligh, and I reckon replacing Dryad with Goyf would only make that MU much better.

Wallace
09-05-2007, 10:41 PM
I am curious why you took out the Baubles. They thin the deck out and feed Goyf. They also help "protect" some of your cards from discard.

Do you think they were too slow? Did you find them to be too much of a hinderance?

I just think that playing an fast aggro deck you want to do as much damage as fast as possable. The baubles could be a burn spell or another creature. I understand that the bauble slowtrips you a card but like I said I would much rather it be a Burn Spell. The fact that it adds to the ghoyf is nice but I don't think it is a big enough benifit to include it over another burn spell or another creature.

DragoFireheart
09-05-2007, 10:42 PM
I just think that playing an fast aggro deck you want to do as much damage as fast as possable. The baubles could be a burn spell or another creature. I understand that the bauble slowtrips you a card but like I said I would much rather it be a Burn Spell. The fact that it adds to the ghoyf is nice but I don't think it is a big enough benifit to include it over another burn spell or another creature.

But... but... YOU CAN LOOK AT YOUR OPPONENTS HAND! Or... at least one card.

PLUS... you can look at the top card of your library. IT'S MADNESS! :tongue:

n00per
04-15-2008, 09:38 AM
I'm testing a Goyf Sligh deck too but i think my stategy is a bit different.

My list:

4 Taiga
4 Wooded Foothills
2 bloostained mire
6 Mountain
2 Forest
4 Tarmogoyf
4 quirion dryad
4 kird ape
4 mogg fanatic
2 Troll Ascetic
2 Grim lavamancer
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Chain Lightning
4 seal of fire
4 Tarfire or 4 Rift Bolt
4 Rancor
2 Umzawas Jitte

Sideboard:

4 Krosan Grip
3 Tormods Crypt
4 price of progress
4 ???

i play more creature beat down and ause the burn nearly only as removal


plz excuse my bad english

iceage4life
04-15-2008, 11:20 AM
I think you'll find that Lavamancer isn't that strong with Tarmogoyf. Yes, you can selectively remove cards, but there will be times you want to use him and can't because it will hurt your Goyfs, I suspect.

Not running Lavamancer just because you're running Goyf is just wrong. See: RDW from Extended. If you have a Goyf and an active Lavamancer you're probably winning even with a small synergy deficiency.

Peter_Rotten
04-15-2008, 11:35 AM
We have a perfectly good Goyf Sligh Deck in the Established Decks Forum. No need to rez this one.