PDA

View Full Version : [deck] Wild Winter Port Party

morgan_coke
10-02-2007, 11:20 PM
This deck is based off of one old favorite and my new favorite two cards since masters edition got released on MODO: Rishadan Port, Winter Orb and Garruk Wildspeaker.

The synergy between these cards when combined with Blinkmoth Well is pretty obvious I think, giving you a land based way to lock your opponent out of mana. I took these cards, and added a bit of Staxxish supporting cast and come up with the following prison deck.

3x Blinkmoth Well
4x Rishadan Port
4x Ancient Tomb
1x Mikokoro, Center of the Sea
1x Horizon Canopy
2x Wintermoon Mesa
1x Academy Ruins
4x Savannah
4x Tropical Island
3x Forest

2x Garruk Wildspeaker

4x Winter Orb
4x Trinisphere
3x Tangle Wire
4x Sphere of Resistance
4x Howling Mine
2x Crucible of Worlds
2x Static Orb

4x Elvish Spirit Guide
4x Exploration

Sideboard
4x Propaganda
4x Chalice of the Void
4x Leonin Abunas
3x Ghostly Prison/Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale

Its just basically throw out as much stall, stall, stall as you can while you work towards getting mana up and a winter or static orb down, then use your mana advantage to tap your orb and their lands, Garruk does this wonderfully by providing extra untaps and he serves as a great win condition for something with this much inevitability. Root Maze would go in here but it doesn't work so good with the Orbs and 3spheres. Ivory Tower, Chill, and Energy Storm are possibilities for the board if Burn.dec is huge in the area, though I think between 3sphere and Resistance you'll probably slow them down enough for a lock as is.

Pithing Needle on Port is a real issue for this deck that is partially offset by Tangle Wire and Wintermoon Mesa, but not completely. Some E.E's or Grips do deal with the problem though. Leonin Abunas in the board is an attempt to deal with post board artifact destruction, as he's the closest thing to Guardian Beast I could find in the available colors. Crucible provides Wasteland protection.

iOWN
10-10-2007, 10:23 PM
The concept is very interesting. Have you tested it at all yet?

I'd be scared to play so many symmetrical cards (Howling Mine, Mikokoro; especially Howling Mine). If they run Deeds/Disks/Explosives or whatever, you're giving them a chance to find it. You can't rely on completely setting up a lock before being able to safely cast certain spells... In my opinion, if a card is that situational it just isn't worth playing.

Why ESG over Mox Diamond? Both are early game cards, so Sphere of Resistence/3Sphere aren't huge problems, but Mox has some synergy with Crucible.

Otherwise, that looks hot on paper.

FakeSpam
10-12-2007, 12:36 AM
Garruk seems like a pretty cool way to support Stasis. If you are going the prison route, why not just completely lock them down?

Alright, I know. Different deck, same concept. It's interesting, though.