PDA

View Full Version : Demigod Resurrection



Thehunter820
04-22-2008, 12:53 PM
Ok, I know this list could probably use some work, and I plan on tweaking the mana base a lil bit, either +1 or +2 more lands, but here's a list I came up with using the new Demigod of Revenge from shadowmoor, what do you guys think?

Lands: 19
Underground Sea x4
Polluted Delta x4
Bloodstained Mire x4
Island x3
Swamp x4
I've considered putting in green for say tarmogoyf and what not but U/B works the best so far.

Creatures: 11
Demigod of Revenge x4
Tombstalker x3
Hypnotice Spectre x4?(I felt there should be some other way to win, best thing I could think of at the time, any suggestions?)

Spells: 30
Ponder x4
Careful Study x3
Duress x4
Spell Snare x3
Force of Will x4
Grim Tutor x4
Infernal Tutor x2
Buried Alive x4
Extirpate x2

On the sideboard I'm still not too sure, i'm still considering it, but so far this is what I have.(yes I know this needs work)

Engineered Explosives x3
Infest x3
Thoughtseize x3
Intuition x3
exhume x3


The Basic premise of the deck is to search your deck for a Demigod of Revenge, and put it intor your hand, then put the other ones in the graveyard. You're backed by Force of Will and Spell Snare. Duress and Extirpate for disrution. Tombstalker and hippie are alternate win cons, still not too sure on that bit. I'm posting this from school so I havent been able to get any test results, I gold fished it in Comp. Sci. on MWS around turn 5 average, I think 7 was the slowest I found. The deck seems fairly decent and with some tweaking I think it could do very well. While its not a DTB, I think it could be promising, so any suggestions?

EDIT: For those who havent looked yet here's the Demigod of Revenge.

Demigod of Revenge (B/R)(B/R)(B/R)
Creature - Spirit Avatar
Flying, haste When you play Demigod of Revenge, return all cards named Demigod of Revenge from your graveyard to play.
5/4
Rare

Gambit
04-22-2008, 12:57 PM
Intuiton seems like it should be main

electrolyze
04-22-2008, 12:58 PM
maybe fit dark ritual in the deck to get more tempo, wish is really good with hippie and buried, grim, stalker too.

the deck looks fun but needs more tuning i think.

raharu
04-22-2008, 04:02 PM
Extirpate and Infernal Tutor need to be cut from the MD for Brainstorm. Careful study looks like a really weak slot. I would remove the Grim Tutors from the main for Intuations, as they are synergistic with Demigod and are blue for FoW. Burried alive seems weaker than Intuition, I would cut them for faster win-cons or disruption.

Cavius The Great
04-22-2008, 06:41 PM
I have a B/G list that plays Mongoose and Goyfs implementing a combo like finish with Demigod. I'll keep you posted with a list as soon as I do some testing.

EDIT: The original list needs a hell of alot of work. I mean, 3 Island with a creature that cost BBBBB, and no acceleration? I'll probably post my list on it's own thread since it's varies from this list completely...

raharu
04-22-2008, 08:33 PM
3 Islands in a two color deck with 16 of 19 lands being or becoming black sources. That, and the deck doesn't accel into a Demigod. It Intuitions/ Buried Alives them into the GY and drops pretty much 4x on turn 5, swing for 20. That, and with the Reanimation in the SB, the deck really doesn't need acceleration at all. The kill is protected and there's a synergistic plan B in case things go awry.

On the note of Reaniamtion in the SB, I have to ask, why isn't it in the main? It's ++> than Careful Study.

EDIT: Why not Oona's Prowler over Hippy? It's a discard outlet and it's disruption on legs/ +1 P when/if the OP is empty handed.

Thehunter820
04-23-2008, 09:46 AM
I like the careful studies because they put demigod's into you're graveyard, that's the same purpose of the buried alive's, the tutor's are just there to aid, however I do think i'll be cutting them. Here's my next list.


Lands: 20
Underground Sea x4
Polluted Delta x4
Bloodstained Mire x4
Island x3
Swamp x5

Creatures: 10
Demigod of Revenge x4
Tombstalker x3
Hypnotice Spectre x3

Spells: 30
Ponder x4
Careful Study x3
Spell Snare x3
Force of Will x4
Buried Alive x4
Intuition x4
Smother x3
Dark Ritual x3
Ghastly Demise x2

Again for those who didnt read the premise, you put 3 demigod's in the yard then play one resurrect the rest, and swing for a hefty amount, and also the exhume is just testing, reanimation isnt quite key because that wouldnt bring the other's back.

Media314r8
04-23-2008, 10:40 AM
No offense, but this seems strictly worse than breakfast, as it is is hurt by the same grave hate, packs about the same permission package, goldfishes 2-3turns slower, and has a worse backup plan. Could someone please explain why there are two threads about demigod combo and what advantages it has over breakfast. (which is a deck I don't think I'd take to a tournament anyway)

EDIT: PRO: your dudes don't die to bolts or fire/ice, but your deck also has less consistancy and doesn't have vial tricks/un-counter-ability.

EDIT2: I really don't mean to shoot down your ideas, and I understand the brainstorming proces, but a deck primer should include reasons to play the deck over similar decks (GY combo like ichorid/breakfast here)

rodgon666
04-23-2008, 01:54 PM
Its not meant to be BREAKFAST.

just because it uses the graveyard doesnt mean it has to be compared to breakfast.
Hes taking a unique approach and trying to figure out how to make his combination of cards stronger, and thus is in the developing stages of the deck, comparisons to Established decks are irrelevent until the deck has reaches certain level of crafting. IMO.


its just another combo in legacy, it seems like a midrange Black with reanimate for consistency with combo finish. i like it!

Happy Gilmore
04-23-2008, 02:22 PM
Its not meant to be BREAKFAST.

just because it uses the graveyard doesnt mean it has to be compared to breakfast.
Hes taking a unique approach and trying to figure out how to make his combination of cards stronger, and thus is in the developing stages of the deck, comparisons to Established decks are irrelevent until the deck has reaches certain level of crafting. IMO.


its just another combo in legacy, it seems like a midrange Black with reanimate for consistency with combo finish. i like it!

Every player needs to judge the viability of news decks against other pre-existing decks. If the deck in queston is not better than a pre-existing concept then it has to be throw out. Is this harsh? Yes, but its true.

And when I said add "kiki/hassar/guide" I meant in a survival shell.

Thehunter820
04-24-2008, 10:01 AM
I know it doesnt look to strong, but I would ask you to test it out before you go hatin' on it. With the counters you can usual force relevant spells through or get rid of anything that you dont want your opponent to have, and you dont have to have the demigod's to win, it works quiet well, and if I could get some ways to speed it up some it would be even better.

Media314r8
04-24-2008, 10:32 AM
I know it doesn't look to strong, but I would ask you to test it out before you go hatin' on it. With the counters you can usual force relevant spells through or get rid of anything that you don't want your opponent to have, and you don't have to have the demigod's to win, it works quiet well, and if I could get some ways to speed it up some it would be even better.

Play goyf. And Vials. And erdami's calling. And breakfast.

EDIT: I'll stop hating. Currently loading into MWS, but I'm very, very skeptical. I will post results, and then continue my cynical comments and comparisons to other GY combo.

Media314r8
04-24-2008, 11:55 AM
I've been playing this most recent list on MWS, and tested against:

Moon stacks (won 2-1)
GR Aggro Loam (lost 1-2)
Mono black 8 pox (won 2-1)

My list is as follows:

// Lands
4 Underground Sea
4 [ON] Polluted Delta
4 [ON] Bloodstained Mire
2 [PLC] Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
5 Swamp (3)
1 [B] Island (3)

// Creatures
4 [SHM] Demigod of Revenge
2 [FUT] Tombstalker

// Spells
4 [NE] Accumulated Knowledge
4 [LRW] Ponder
4 [MM] Brainstorm
4 [AL] Force of Will
4 [TE] Intuition
3 [NE] Daze
4 [TE] Propaganda
4 [B] Dark Ritual
3 [ON] Smother

// Sideboard
SB: 3 [FD] Engineered Explosives
SB: 4 [LRW] Shriekmaw
SB: 4 [MR] Chalice of the Void
SB: 4 [GP] Leyline of the Void

Let me first say: [B]Stop playing buried alive! The card is strictly win-more! Being able to intuition at EoT for: force to counter an important spell, AK to win via card advantage, or Demigod is soooooo much better than a do-nothing spell that opens you up to extirpate, wretch, jailer, ect. Also, I've yet to lose after getting three demigods, and I suggest that 3 is just as good as 4 unless you're about to lose to storm combo, and that's why the deck plays force of will and daze.

The control build is the way to go. I feel like I'm playing MUC that has an 'oops, I win' finish. Propaganda has been really underwhelming, but gold against aggro and loam decks, and good against ,many other, so it may be a necessary evil. I would like to test damnation as a 3-of in place of propaganda, but it doesn't pitch to force so well.

Everyone on MWS plays wasteland apparently, and the 1 island has been enough, but I soon moved up from 4 to 5 basic swamps. The number of urborgs should probably increase too. Turn 2-3 Tombstalkers often win games (2 fetches and a daze/force or something + dark rit = 8)

The deck usually kills around turn 4-8, but is very resilient, and I hardly ever mull with the 8 cantrips and AK. My $.02, now can a mod please merge these threads and the creators actually test the deck. I like how the control feels, but I still think that it would probably be better of as either as a more controlling MUC or a faster breakfast. If Demigod cost even just one or two colorless instead of 2 or 3 R/B, i think it would be more viable.

EDIT: Wow, I wrote a longer deck primer than OP, and why on earth didn't the original list include brainstorm with [B]8 fetchlands!?!?!

Thehunter820
04-24-2008, 12:23 PM
hmm interesting build, i'll test it out, and just to say, the only reason I use the buried alive, is because if your holding a demigod, if you play that drop the other 3 in, it makes for a nice move, i'm still not to sure on it, but I wouldnt say to exclude it, intiution still opens you for extirpate, but I do agree easily that intuition is a better choice.