PDA

View Full Version : No Legacy Grand Prix this year...



Nihil Credo
05-20-2008, 10:51 AM
...makes me a sad panda. (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=grandprix) Especially since I had hoped for Rimini to get it.

Van Phanel
05-20-2008, 11:02 AM
...makes me a sad panda. (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=grandprix) Especially since I had hoped for Rimini to get it.

There is however this at the very bottom:

Note: More 2008 Grand Prix to be announced soon.

Even though I can't really believe it, I still hope. And as the US were gifted last year, it would be Europe's time to get it.

Hightower
05-20-2008, 11:04 AM
Why Rimini, and not Roma?

Lukas Preuss
05-20-2008, 11:41 AM
Europe should seriously get a Legacy GP... the Legacy scene has been growing steadily during the past years since GP Lille and there are multiple large Legacy events every months all over the continent. Legacy is one of the most popular formats in good ole Europe. And as far as I can recall, even the pros really enjoyed the past Legacy GPs.

Let's keep the hopes up... there are still some GPs to be announced.

Nihil Credo
05-20-2008, 11:46 AM
Why Rimini, and not Roma?
For Wizards? Hell of a lot cheaper, and it's a huge sea resort, so you could have some serious beach fun on Sept. 10.

For me, I was specifically hoping for a Legacy Grand Prix there, since it's in the north i.e. where all the Italian Legacy is played.


Let's keep the hopes up... there are still some GPs to be announced.

Didn't notice that... there's still hope, then. I doubt it would be in Italy, though, since we usually get 1 GP a year. The other Legacy strongholds are Germany and Spain, both of which have a GP already, but perhaps Germany gets two?

Hightower
05-20-2008, 11:50 AM
Hmm oki.. it just seems weird, since all (I think) the other countries have their capital city as Grand Prix location.

Van Phanel
05-20-2008, 11:56 AM
Hmm oki.. it just seems weird, since all (I think) the other countries have their capital city as Grand Prix location.

Wrong:

This season we already had GP Stuttgart in Germany and there will be GP Birmingham soon. Often the capital is used for a GP because it is easy to find an appropriate location for 1000+ people, but this doesn't mean that other citys couldn't get a GP.

If you had actually clicked the link you would have seen this by yourself.

Hightower
05-20-2008, 12:06 PM
I did click the link, but I'm just incredibly bad at geography I guess.. I only looked at some of the bottom cities

Buenos Aires - Argentina
Madrid - Spain
Copenhagen - Denmark
Manila - Philippines
Rimini - Italy
Paris - France

godryk
05-20-2008, 05:26 PM
Lol, I also hoped GP Madrid would be the Legacy one, specially since I live half an hour from where GPs usually are held here... instead, we get sealed shit...

Anyway, I really don't think there will a Legacy GP this year.

mercenarybdu
05-20-2008, 08:17 PM
If you want another event so badly, then you have to go through all of the do process which is going into the whole political process just to organize and a ahold of an event.

I've acquired intel on it and the whole thing doesn't seem to be as easy as you think. Especially when Wizards turns away millions of great organizors each year just because they didn't have the connections to the judges.

Ya see, in order for someone to host a large event, they have to have of connections with lots of judges in order to host the event in addition to sponsorship, looking for a venue at the exact location (don't do what Matchplay did last year because they have gotten away with murder many times when it came to getting their information right), gain a hold of reporters (GP thing), and all of this other nitty gritty stuff that nobody want to talk about just to lift the event off the ground. The last part is always the format as that determines what materials the players have to bring before the day of the events.

I just hope they bring a large scale eternal event to NorCal as the community up here wants to see something more exciting other than the usual PTQ and FNM formats being thrown around on a daily basis.

How reporting is done for Eternal Formats is at the moment "insulting" to the die hard players like ourselves. Then if there were more correct video coverage from the GPs (other than just Columbus, Pilly, and SJ) this problem would be out of the way. Note that I put in "correct" as most of the video/match coverage I've come accross on many video tubing sites "suck". Thus it gave me an idea to give the future filmmer a useful boring guide on how to make them "not suck" by following a few key rules.

-don't ping pong
-keep the camera on the match and always in the middle at a good distance
-if you are filmming a match be sure it is a match
-other things to keep in mind such as "nobody cares about game faces"

But anyways I hope I have given you an analysis of what goes into putting together a large scale event.

Jak
05-20-2008, 08:26 PM
If you want another event so badly, then you have to go through all of the do process which is going into the whole political process just to organize and a ahold of an event.

I've acquired intel on it and the whole thing doesn't seem to be as easy as you think. Especially when Wizards turns away millions of great organizors each year just because they didn't have the connections to the judges.

Ya see, in order for someone to host a large event, they have to have of connections with lots of judges in order to host the event in addition to sponsorship, looking for a venue at the exact location (don't do what Matchplay did last year because they have gotten away with murder many times when it came to getting their information right), gain a hold of reporters (GP thing), and all of this other nitty gritty stuff that nobody want to talk about just to lift the event off the ground. The last part is always the format as that determines what materials the players have to bring before the day of the events.

I just hope they bring a large scale eternal event to NorCal as the community up here wants to see something more exciting other than the usual PTQ and FNM formats being thrown around on a daily basis.

How reporting is done for Eternal Formats is at the moment "insulting" to the die hard players like ourselves. Then if there were more correct video coverage from the GPs (other than just Columbus, Pilly, and SJ) this problem would be out of the way. Note that I put in "correct" as most of the video/match coverage I've come accross on many video tubing sites "suck". Thus it gave me an idea to give the future filmmer a useful boring guide on how to make them "not suck" by following a few key rules.

-don't ping pong
-keep the camera on the match and always in the middle at a good distance
-if you are filmming a match be sure it is a match
-other things to keep in mind such as "nobody cares about game faces"

But anyways I hope I have given you an analysis of what goes into putting together a large scale event.

Lol wtf? Did you even read this thread? It is talking about there being no Legacy Grand Grix, not how to create a large event or cover it.

mercenarybdu
05-22-2008, 03:14 AM
Lol wtf? Did you even read this thread? It is talking about there being no Legacy Grand Grix, not how to create a large event or cover it.

Opps, got carried away again.:rolleyes:

herbig
05-22-2008, 03:27 AM
...so you could have some serious beach fun on Sept. 10.

No beach fun. We spend this time in solemn prayer for our fallen heroes. The war in Iraq may be won, but our crusade against the misguided is only getting started.

Does Italy have any of our oil?

Nihil Credo
05-22-2008, 07:44 AM
Does Italy have any of our oil?

I hear there's some under the Vatican. I really really wouldn't mind if you were to drop them a bomb or two.

Cait_Sith
05-22-2008, 09:32 AM
Does Italy have any of our oil?

Sicily does! Sicily does!

GreenOne
05-22-2008, 10:03 AM
Does Italy have any of our oil?

Your oil? once it's in Italy it's our, my oil. It's ALL MINE. Got it?

I'm paying gasoline 1,5 €/l, that's about 8,3 $ per Gallon. Don't touch it!

EDIT. But if you want to drop some bombs on Vatican you're welcome.

kirdape3
05-22-2008, 10:51 AM
Those are due to the gasoline taxes in Europe, which are far, far higher than in the United States (to discourage consumption). Italians pay little more than Americans do in terms of actual supply and demand.

GreenOne
05-22-2008, 10:54 AM
Those are due to the gasoline taxes in Europe, which are far, far higher than in the United States (to discourage consumption). Italians pay little more than Americans do in terms of actual supply and demand.

I knew that. But this doesn't mean I can't be worried about people wanting MY oil.

BTW, why are we talking about bombs on the Pope and price of oil in a GP thread?

freakish777
05-22-2008, 11:03 AM
I knew that. But this doesn't mean I can't be worried about people wanting MY oil.

BTW, why are we talking about bombs on the Pope and price of oil in a GP thread?

Because Herbig declared it so.

Illissius
05-22-2008, 11:06 AM
What if they give the GP to the Vatican? What then? Do you still bomb it? And what do you do with the oil?

Van Phanel
05-22-2008, 02:37 PM
Maybe only afterwards while the oil goes to the winner. I can't imagine Legacy in St. Peter's however. Yet I like the thought.

herbig
05-22-2008, 10:07 PM
Because Herbig declared it so.

Yup.

I'm more than a little excited about this:

Manila Philippines Aug 30-31, 2008, Block Constructed

Whats good in block constructed?

1337Baller
05-22-2008, 10:16 PM
Yup.

I'm more than a little excited about this:

Manila Philippines Aug 30-31, 2008, Block Constructed

Whats good in block constructed?

Faeries.

mercenarybdu
05-22-2008, 10:18 PM
There are no organizor willing to step forward to host the event. I assume they are afraid unless it is just politics involved in actually hosting the event.

godryk
06-24-2008, 02:10 PM
It looks like there will be no Legacy GP this year as format for remaining GPs has been confirmed...

Link. (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=grandprix/welcome,,en)

Nihil Credo
06-24-2008, 04:44 PM
It looks like there will be no Legacy GP this year as format for remaining GPs has been confirmed...

Link. (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=grandprix/welcome,,en)
Actually, the "Note: More 2008 Grand Prix to be announced soon." text is still there.