[Question 34] Favorite BAD deck
Have you spent a significant amount of time on a BAD deck? Have you tweaked, created, and played something that just didn't work out? When you're looking to kill time, do you ever take a bad deck out for a spin on MWS? What makes the deck fun? Where does it fail?
http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=11023 I also posted Question 33 at the same time as this one.
Re: [Question 34] Favorite BAD deck
Prosbloom is my favorite bad deck by far. I started with Legacy, because I desperately wanted to make it good and play it in tournaments (must have been around the end of 2004). I even posted a rough list on SCG.com and someone directed me to the Source where there was a thread on Prosbloom already.
Now let me tell you a sad fact: Prosbloom is as far from being viable as you can imagine. The entire engine with Squandered Resources, Natural Balance, Cadaverous Bloom and Prosperity takes up half a million slots in the decklist, Prosperity sucks in a format with FoW and if you want to play a black Tendrils list, there are sooo many better ways to do it. Still, I love the deck, its pure elegance, and the historical importance for MtG and the combo archetype in general. So I tried to make it half viable for Legacy, cutting Prosperity for cards like Infernal Contract, Cruel Bargain (yes, I know SI is just better) and Meditate. It just doesn't work. The deck is too bad. You can't make it viable in any way.
So, I finally found a store in the area that holds Magic tournaments without a banned/restricted list. The people that play there don't know that the internet is a major source for information on magic decks and everybody brings their own decks... even though they are not necessarily bad (I saw some White Weenie lists and even a High Tide combo deck). I haven't been to one of their tournaments yet, but when I go I will most definitely bring Prosbloom and see how it fares.
Edit: I'm currently working on a Prosbloom list for MYOS...
Re: [Question 34] Favorite BAD deck
How bad are we talking? I still like sorcery Tide, which sucks, but it's not "prosbloom" awful.
You define "bad."
- PR
Re: [Question 34] Favorite BAD deck
Sensei Sensei (Top + Helm + Future Sight).
It, unfortunately, has been unplayable since people started playing Threshold after it's breakout appearence at GP Philly.
Re: [Question 34] Favorite BAD deck
Food Chain Elves. Also, Utter Burnination (Sneak Attack/Dragon Storm combo)
Is it basically that 99% of non-storm combo isn't viable in Legacy?
Re: [Question 34] Favorite BAD deck
My momma always said, "Battle of Wits is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."'
Re: [Question 34] Favorite BAD deck
Turboland.
I wanted it to work SO BAD. But then, Wizards printed cards like Extirpate, and it went to shit. I've still considered playing it again, on more than one occasion.
Re: [Question 34] Favorite BAD deck
I guess I'll go with my Gamekeeper/Domain deck.
Re: [Question 34] Favorite BAD deck
Klark-Clan Ironworks (KCI).
My favorite deck of all time. It's the deck that originally got me hooked on combo. Fireball for 60 anyone?
Re: [Question 34] Favorite BAD deck
I had a UR control deck that was pretty awesomely bad. Solidarity ranks high on my list also, but that will be good again...
Re: [Question 34] Favorite BAD deck
I'm going to have to go ahead and say that Tosh's build of Bosium Strip Combo is my favorite bad deck. It was ridiculously fun to play, and when things lined up the Strip really was like a YawgWill for Legacy, you just flat out won the game. Overall though, it was fragile, expensive, and it was more effort than it was worth to make sure things resolved in the right order so you could play things out of your graveyard, especially when there was easier and more resilient combo.
But being able to win the game off of a single black mana was always fun.
And yeah, I know, "what about MeatHooks?". Hardy har har.
Re: [Question 34] Favorite BAD deck
My BWR Magnivore. I'm 18-4 in Legacy matches with it. There is absolutely no way I should be 18-4 with it. There's no way I should probably even be .500 with it. It's dreck, but it somehow wins. Probably because nobody I played against knew what to do against it or even what they were facing. It got better with Thoughtseize, too.
Twilight (BG Madness) is my other fave. Also got better with Thoughtseize.
I'd include Dragon Stompy, but it's apparently actually regarded as good now. So go figure.:)
Also notable? BGW Gamekeeper Salvagers (Which ALSO got better with Thoughtseize. See a trend?) Solidarity also counts.
EDIT: Just read all the other entries. And, IBA? Your Dragonstorm/Sneak Attack deck was one of the most fun decks I've ever played with, ever. Seriously. Mad props and that goes on my list. Actually won my fair share of matches with that thing. Have you tinkered with it since Bogardan Wossname came out?
Re: [Question 34] Favorite BAD deck
Goblin Fish. Apparently it's a horrible (or so I'm told) and nobody should ever bother testing it, but it just seems too smexy for this world. Oh, and Wg Scepter Rebels! And Instanteatures (counters, instant dudes and mass pump - all instants), which was completely obsoleted by the printing of Lorwyn Fae but is still awefucking fun.
EDIT: Oh yeah, Clerics.
EDIT#2: I just remembered, Reanimator.