So, I was reading MaRo's article today when I noticed a little censored bar. He made the comment that in the upcoming block codenamed "Live", "Long", and "Prosper" they will be bringing back a mechanic that is a "fan favorite". this got me thinking about past mechanics that were popular.
Obviously affinity is out, and they wont re-do Bushido because of the fact that it really lends itself to a tribal theme, or at least a tribal sub-theme. Sunburst is a no-go, because it requires 5 color, which they are doing this block. Domain is also out. Mercadia was a flop except for rebels which were overpowered, so they wont bring back anything from that, and Urza's block was too overpowered, so the only thing that could come from that would be cycling, which they are doing now. It wouldn't be mana intensive like Echo or Buyback because that would cause a REALLY slow environment, and I doubt it would be Kicker because in a past article that I am too lazy to search for right this minute, MaRo stated that kicker was a mistake because basically every mechanic could be reworded as kicker.
Prior to that, there were not too many mechanics that were popular that still exist, and besides, mechanics were not as well defined. This leaves us with Odyssey's Madness/Threshold/and Flashback, Time Spiral's Suspend (which I cant see working outside that context), or perhaps one of the Ravnica mechanics.
Radiance seems too weak, Transmute seems hard to do so it wouldn't break an entire format. Flooding a format with tutors is a bad idea. Convoke doesn't seem like it could fit with all of the colors, and I think they would be wary of re-doing Dredge due to its innate power. Bloodthirst seems weak, Haunt was not as good in practice as it was in theory, and Replicate would force all metas towards combo. Forecast forces metas toward control, Hellbent toward aggro control, and Graft sucks.
Then there is the option of a Future Sight keyword, but the only one that really acheived any level of mainstream popularity was Delve.
This all leads me to the conclusion that a graveyard based block like Odyssey may be in the works, but that would mean they would scale back the power of whatever mechanic(s) might be in the block, due to the fact that Odyssey contributed so many staples to EVERY format.
My questions are as follows. What is the likelihood of redoing a GY themed set? If this is done, what mechanics can we expect to see? If I am wrong, What mechanic do you expect/hope to come back?
Remember, this is not factual, it is just one person musing about the future based on what he already knows about Wizard's thought processes, and statements that have been made. Thanks for sticking with me throughout this post, I know it was long-ish and I apologize.:smile:
Link:http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazin...tg/daily/mm/23
Edit: Also, which past mechanic could have the biggest impact on, or be the healthiest for the Legacy format?

