Re: [Revision] UR Landstill
reserve post
You never know when you will need one...
Re: [Revision] UR Landstill
It's nice to see a serious exploration of UR Landstill, especially since there is no major Blue-based control in the metagame. While I have never played UR Landstill, I have a fair amount of experiance playing against it, since the best player at my local tourny played it for a long time. Based on his list, I have a few suggestions.
Isochrone Scepter: A little worse, since you can't put a counter on it, but it's main function would be to hold a burn spell, especially Fire/Ice. This improves your ability to race your opponent, and Ice can let you tap that pesky Silver Knight, or Soltari Priest all day long, and draw cards in the process.
Grim Lavamancer: Also great for a damage race. Has synergy with TfK. Vulnerable to removal, but it he jst takes instant-speed removal that otherwise would have hit a land, that's not so bad. Anyway, you can use counters to protect him, and then use those counters to fuel him. Seems solid for ever matchup with the glaring exception of Rifter.
Also, have you considered maindecking those Phyrexian Furnaces? You recommend bringing them in in 6 out of the 8 matchups you analyzed. Since they cantrip, they're never dead. Just a thought.
Re: [Revision] UR Landstill
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindMage
Isochrone Scepter: A little worse, since you can't put a counter on it, but it's main function would be to hold a burn spell, especially Fire/Ice. This improves your ability to race your opponent, and Ice can let you tap that pesky Silver Knight, or Soltari Priest all day long, and draw cards in the process.
Well...i hate that card.
So... I cannot make an objective statement about it.
Please note that against Combo racing with Scepter is often pointless. Damage via Factory has an equivalent mana/damage ratio.
Repeated Icing is interesting though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindMage
Grim Lavamancer: Also great for a damage race. Has synergy with TfK. Vulnerable to removal, but it he jst takes instant-speed removal that otherwise would have hit a land, that's not so bad. Anyway, you can use counters to protect him, and then use those counters to fuel him. Seems solid for ever matchup with the glaring exception of Rifter.
Well...i denied the inclusion of Al in my discussions in german forums several times (mostly for simply being him a permanent...and an easily removable in addition). I did not take into account the inclusion of TfK on Al yet. I have to think about this (and maybe retest). :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindMage
Also, have you considered maindecking those Phyrexian Furnaces? You recommend bringing them in in 6 out of the 8 matchups you analyzed. Since they cantrip, they're never dead. Just a thought.
Very well observed.
In fact i played 2 of the Furnaces MD before the inclusion of Shaol and Repeal (in the SnD slot) for about half a year.
The problem about this, is that Furnace is useless only in very few matchups. But those matchups are exactly those where speed matters a lot (Vial Goblins, Deadguy Ale for example) und cycling them especially hurts.
None the less your point is well observed and to some extend very valid. :)
Re: [Revision] UR Landstill
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberly
Well...i denied the inclusion of Al in my discussions in german forums several times (mostly for simply being him a permanent...and an easily removable in addition).
This is true, but manlands are vulnerable to most of the same removal. For the sake of argument, I'll a little more in-depth on Grim Lavamancer vs. Removal
Goblins: Incinerator, sometimes bolt, sometimes StP. With the exeption of incinerator, these can be countered (and then you can use the counters to fuel the wizard), and anyway, that's an incinerator that didn't off a conclave.
NQGw: StP only. Again, you can counter it. They can counter your counter, but then the won't have a counter for something more relevant. Again, you can then use the counters you used to protect the wizard to fuel him.
NQGr: Bolt, and either Fire/Ice or Magma Jet. This matchup is not so nice for Al, if I was using him, I'd prolly board him out here. However, if you are racing them, he forces them to use some of their limited burn to get rid of him.
Solidarity: None. even if you don't have the mana for him to burn them, he can always go sideways to speed you up a little. if you have the mana of him+manlands, it seems like that would be a boon.
Rifter: Pyroclasm, Lightning Rift, Slice and Dice, StP, WoG, Humility. Ouch, definitely board the wizard out here. Game one, you can play tricks but repealing you own wizard in response to a sweeper, since there's not much else you can do with repeal in that match, and that kind of nonsense is fun.
Deadguy Ale: Vindicate, Engineered Plague (sometimes), StP (sometimes), Cursed Scroll (sometimes). As before, you can counter their removal, which isn't all that heavy. Grim Lavamancer also kills all of their threats.
Anyway, I don't want people to get the wrong idea and think that I think Grim Lavamancer should absolutely definitely be played in this deck, but from some experiance playing against it, it can be really good here. It's also important to note that the above post would be much shorter if I wasn't home sick with too much time on my hands.
Re: [Revision] UR Landstill
Your examples are analysed well. And i would definately call Al a good card against Solidarity and NQGw (against which i would usually not want to counter the StoP, but be happy with a Factory as a Blocker (and counter a StoP then)).
I want to make additions / corections to two of the Matchups:
-Vial Goblins: You did not mention Fanatics. Anyways, Al will rarely live and be able to repeatedly use his ability.
-Deadguy Ale: Here he would be a romantic choice in the first place. Whenever he lives (i doubt much removal will be targetted at him - Vindicate has a lot of other targets, Scroll becomes active later) and you have R for multiple turns, he will win you the game single-handedly.
But...whenever you have R for multiple turns you should usually be on a pretty plain road to the win anyway.
However... if the inclusion of chromatic Sphere is successful and i ever need a SB card for Deadguy Ale, i wilol have to consider him for that slot.
The number of matchups (which you corectly mentioned) where he is bad, and how extremely bad he is there, keeps me from playing him at the moment.
Not to mention the aesthetic* catastrophe of Al + Disk in the same decklist.
*Technically this is not a big problem, but... i believe...to win you have to love your deck and the strategy that it contains to some extend. I cannot love a thing that ugly...
A note about Repeal:
It is rarely dead, especially against Rifter. Most of the things you want to counter aggressively with Shoal are CC1. Against Rifter you have to attack. Shoaling a StoP with Repeal is necessary often.
Re: [Revision] UR Landstill
I'm sure you are right. Clearly the Lavamancer is very vulnerable. And you obviously know more about playing the deck than I (who have only played against it). I was just having fun making the argument.
In that case, enough Lavamancer argument. Here's a more relevant question: You said you have a rather favorable Rifter matchup, and a very favorable Wombat matchup. This is somewhat astonishing, since Wombat's origonal success was based in large part on absolutely murdering Landstill. To what do you attribute this? I always assumed that UR Landstill would do better against Wombat than UW, but turning a matchup that is "ridiculously easy" for Wombat into one that is "basically a bye" for Landstill - a complete reversal - is quite a feat. Can you shed some light on this?
Also, do you ever find youself suffering from the card disadvantage of FoW and Shoal in the same deck?
Re: [Revision] UR Landstill
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindMage
In that case, enough Lavamancer argument. Here's a more relevant question: You said you have a rather favorable Rifter matchup, and a very favorable Wombat matchup. This is somewhat astonishing, since Wombat's origonal success was based in large part on absolutely murdering Landstill. To what do you attribute this? I always assumed that UR Landstill would do better against Wombat than UW, but turning a matchup that is "ridiculously easy" for Wombat into one that is "basically a bye" for Landstill - a complete reversal - is quite a feat. Can you shed some light on this?
Of course i can.
I was surprised by this too.
You can see a report about my first testing seession against Wombat here. Of course i retested without Stifle and the other choices and had several sessions against Rifter with the new list, too.
The reason for the drastic change (compared to UW Landstill) is simple: You can fit the beatdown role you are forced into much better.
1. You can burn the dome, which is an immense improvement because UW's removal usually becomes important when Wombat already starts to kill (and the game is lost anyway).
2. You are much more able to risk actually playing a Standstill, cause they cannot simply ignore being beaten by a Factory for 10 live during ...let's say... turn 3 to 8, which they usually can when facing UW Landstill. Which leads to...
3. You are actually capable to kill them when they have already stabilized and chances to get anything past the red line become rare. In the most extreme cases: You are able to kill them at instant speed, breaking your own Standstill, while the board is lost (cause they cycled into too many DoJ's too quickly or anything).
4. You have Flashfires.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindMage
Also, do you ever find youself suffering from the card disadvantage of FoW and Shoal in the same deck?
Basically...no.
As i pointed out, i suffered a lot of not being able to use a Couterspell/Mana Leak at all, when i wanted to. Consider the immense synergy of Shoal and Standstill alone. In that way Shoal often produces advantage instead of disadvantage. VialGoblins AetherVial may be an example for Shoal's unlimited superiority. There are many others...
Re: [Revision] UR Landstill
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberley
Solidarity: 0-2 (This was Lukas, one of Germany’s two best Solidarity players imho, both my hands were subpar, game 2 he decked me in my upkeep, being at 3 life, in response to Lightning Bolt)*
[...]
*Peek was just awesome btw.
Wow, thanks, that was quite a compliment. And seriously, Peek WAS awesome. :)
I just have to say that this deck really is very solid (I watched him play it at the tournament in Iserlohn, and all I have to say is, that I was very impressed. This is way faster than the Landstill lists I used to test against). But before they pick it up, people have to realize that this is not a pure control deck like UW Landstill used to be. This deck plays quite differently, and is way more agressive than other Landstill lists.
Re: [Revision] UR Landstill
Well, I don't have much to say, except I absolutely love the prospect of 7 hard free counters. At least the deck murders Belcher if nothing else :P Could you elaborate on the Slice and Dice-slot though? It seems like it'd only really be any good against Goblins and Pikula, and mostly an expensive cycler in other matches. Is it really necessary in the main? Aren't your FYIs and Bolts along with Repeals and 7 free counters enough against the early rush? Then again, seeing that it's a perfect counter to DoJ and enables playing Standstill with guys in play, I guess it's vindicateable, but could you extrapolate a bit, please?
Re: [Revision] UR Landstill
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldariel
Well, I don't have much to say, except I absolutely love the prospect of 7 hard free counters. At least the deck murders Belcher if nothing else :P Could you elaborate on the Slice and Dice-slot though? It seems like it'd only really be any good against Goblins and Pikula, and mostly an expensive cycler in other matches. Is it really necessary in the main? Aren't your FYIs and Bolts along with Repeals and 7 free counters enough against the early rush? Then again, seeing that it's a perfect counter to DoJ and enables playing Standstill with guys in play, I guess it's vindicateable, but could you extrapolate a bit, please?
No...i can't...at least not much - sorry. :)
For the most part, i play SnD because it is just a good card and feels very good during testing and tournaments. It adds a lot of versatility to the deck.
Just think about NQG - i hardcast SnD there frequently.
You already mentioned how extremely important it is for the Rifter matchup to have at least the potential to draw SnD.
Against classical beatdown decks (you already mentioned VG and Ale) it can often be used as pure CA.
So...apart from that DoJ argument i play SnD pretty much for just being a good card that fits the deck.
In the old thread some alternative sweepers were discussed: Pyroclasm, Starstorm etc. I hate them all for being clumsy, slow, hight costed, sorcery speed, not being CA against a single Fanatic, Lion, BoP, Confidant.
Note that most opponents do not expect this card as a MD choice, which often leads to misplays that result in severe damage dealt by SnD. I saw people loosing 2 Mongoose to my cycling, which is just ridicoulous.
But there you have another importent use: This card alone nearly entirely prohibits your NQG opponents from doing anything relevant before they reach threshold (Mages are irelevant - mostly a Furneral Charm with CC 2).
Re: [Revision] UR Landstill
I think Isochrone Scepter deserves some very serious consideration. Even those of us who have a personal grudge against this card (I hate it too), must recognize the advantages. I'm not advocating it as a 4-of, but as a 2-of, it could really shine. Maindeck, you have Brainstorm, Fire/Ice, and Lightning Bolt for it, and after board you also have REB/BEB. Fire/Ice on a stick is amazing. It lets you keep those Pro:Red or fat butt guys off you back until you can find an answer, and you get to draw extra cards in the process. You can even use it to tap a land in their upkeep, port-style, and draw cards. That's just what you can do with Ice. The scepter's potential in this deck as either a board control card, draw engine, or both is to overwhelming, in my opinion, to justify not running it.
Re: [Revision] UR Landstill
I have been testing more or less the same list of u/r landstil. After a lot of testing i have cut the fairie conlcave's for islands, and added vedalken shackles. This makes you less vulnerabe to wasteland and lessens the amount of creatures your opponent has. It also owns salvagers combo when going off :wink:
Re: [Revision] UR Landstill
Quote:
Tao just told me that he has won Hamburg 03/10/06 with the deck 3.0.1.0
what version is that?
and another thing, is it so important to use 3 Spheres? I have tested the deck in some matchups, and I think cutting one for another repeal can be greate
Re: [Revision] UR Landstill
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambo
I have been testing more or less the same list of u/r landstil. After a lot of testing i have cut the fairie conlcave's for islands, and added vedalken shackles. This makes you less vulnerabe to wasteland and lessens the amount of creatures your opponent has. It also owns salvagers combo when going off :wink:
I have not tested this, but consider it possible. I would not like that change though. 15 cards for the win (=damaging your op) is a key value for the deck. I don't want to cut those for anything that is not a cantrip or a win condition itself.
Of course Conclave is often unsatisfiing when played, but it has a unique ability in producing U and being a win condition.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skullclamping
what version is that?
and another thing, is it so important to use 3 Spheres? I have tested the deck in some matchups, and I think cutting one for another repeal can be greate
Afaik he played the version presented in paragraph 2.
The final version (§5) is limited to testing yet, but will see play soon.
Re: [Revision] UR Landstill
I played the Basic Version without Chromatic Spheres. I played it nearly exactly, changes were: - 1 Shoal, -1 Repeal, +2 Phyrexian Furnace.
The deck is really great, it is amazing how aggressive it is. When I played vs. Survival they had Board Control, more cards in hand, etc. Their only problem was that that they were dead. Like 0 life. They were surprised about it. All it took was some early Damage, then EoT Disk, all out with lands 2 times. The rest was Burn to the Head.
The games vs. Red Gro were quite easy, not too much to worry. In the Lategame you have great advantages, because your real Card Draw overrwhelmes their Card Quality. S'n'D hardcast, Shoal and Nevi Disk really shine there. So you have to worry about the first turns, where you have to prevent as much damage from their Creatures as possible. They cannot put down more than 1 unthreshed Mungo because of S'n'D and unthreshed Bears will be Burned. When they reached threshold you are close to having enough Mana for Disk. Buying Turns with Repeal or Ice on Bears is great, too.
Re: [Revision] UR Landstill
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberley
Afaik he played the version presented in paragraph 2.
The final version (§5) is limited to testing yet, but will see play soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tao
I played the Basic Version without Chromatic Spheres. I played it nearly exactly, changes were: - 1 Shoal, -1 Repeal, +2 Phyrexian Furnace.
so, what version did you play? The one with spheres and shoals (#5) or the one with counterspells (#2)?
Re: [Revision] UR Landstill
Ah, I played another Version, I thought the version 2 had already Shoals instead of Counterspells. I played Version "2. Cardchoices and a first list" with following changes:
- Counterspells replaced by Shoal
- 1 Shoal and 1 Repeal replaced by 2 Phyrexian Furnaces
- No Spheres
Re: [Revision] UR Landstill
I tested some matches against Thresh
it seems we should use some more REB/Pyroblast SB
it can be added with cutting 2 Furnaces and doing like Tao did, 'cause the REB are also a good option against lots of other matches
are you agree with me?
EDIT
a pair of misdirections in the SB can also be a good idea vs. Deadguy
Re: [Revision] UR Landstill
I really think vedalken shackles needs a slot. I think it should be put in the place of chromatic sphere. I really hate that card in this deck, as brainstorm and lightning bolt are always better first turn plays.