Originally Posted by
pettdan
Here's a different perspective on recent events. Note that I basically get all my information from online gossip here and on Reddit, so I may very well be misinformed. Also this is just a perspective, there are other perspectives too that aren't necessarily wrong.
Anyway, long story short, my response to your question is that I'm carefully positive to how the game is developing.
1. I think Wizards' strategy of establishing MtG as an online game is a good idea, for the game too. About two years ago there was discussion here about how MTGO needed an updated business model, perhaps worrying that MtG's days may be counted, and that's what we have a remedy to now with Arena. The game is supposedly thriving, who doesn't like being able to play basically for free at home at any time (I haven't tried it yet, I heard it's not entirely free, but something in that direction)? Wizards are bringing in new players and a digital business model being more profitable for them is a driving factor for that.
2. SCG in the US and MCM in Europe have been arranging tournaments that are fairly popular. If Wizards does a bit less for the competitive paper scene for older formats then that opens up for other actors to grow in that area, actors that can nurture the second hand market and make money off of that while growing the culture around the game and the paper competitive scene. GP's are focusing more on casual play and the play experience, it seems. This is perhaps in line with how they try to make the judge organization independent, one can speculate. If it doesn't stand on its own legs, why waste your energy breathing artificial life into it? More on that in the next section.
3. By focusing their resources on developing and establishing online play, Wizards optimize their resources to bring new players into the game. As player numbers increase, the inflow of new online players trickling down to paper magic, this benefits all actors in the ecosystem around the game, more perhaps than if Wizards would try to handle every part of the ecosystem by themselves. SCG, MCM and other actors can focus on making their business attractive to their customers, stimulating paper magic play which stimulates their sales. Everyone can be a winner!
It's nice for players to be able to choose between online play (where you today typically start, I guess), casual playing or competitive play in different formats with different qualities catering to the needs of different types of players.
I think a new format coming up helps keep Standard players from quitting with the disappointment of their cards becoming useless and worthless. As they appreciate a larger format I think that will eventually make a large amount of them interested in Modern and Legacy too.
And regarding the increased power level of recent printings, a nice aspect of this is that the reserved list cards are becoming less necessary. This can be a bonus for Legacy, which has been doomed from future growth by the limited amount of necessary cards. They are not so necessary any more. As long as new printings doesn't make old strategies irrelevant, the game can grow in aspect of competitive strategies. With that said, the negative aspects you bring up are not wrong, they are also a part of the picture of what's happening.
Edit: updated with the two quotes.