-
Re: Holy inflation, Batman!
Quote:
Originally Posted by
majikal
Well gentlemen, it's been a pleasure, but I think I'm out. Volcanic Island and Underground Sea have crept up to $300 on the retail end, Force of Will is ~$100 and creeping upward, and Wasteland is apparently $150 now. Where the blue duals are at in particular was the price point of Moxes when Vintage started to die out. I guess SCG can keep the format artificially alive for a little while longer, but I'm pretty sure there's only a year or two left in the old girl before they take her out and shoot her.
Really, prices across the board are getting out of hand, barring Standard. Maybe that's the goal? Who knows. At any rate, the money's too tempting, and I don't get to play as much as I'd like anyway. I'll probably keep my EDH decks and build a cube or something, but I'm cashing in everything else.
If you do decide to cash out, I'd recommend building a cube. At the very least, you'll be able to draft the strategies you've played all these years.
-
Re: Holy inflation, Batman!
Quote:
Originally Posted by
majikal
Well gentlemen, it's been a pleasure, but I think I'm out. Volcanic Island and Underground Sea have crept up to $300 on the retail end, Force of Will is ~$100 and creeping upward, and Wasteland is apparently $150 now. Where the blue duals are at in particular was the price point of Moxes when Vintage started to die out. I guess SCG can keep the format artificially alive for a little while longer, but I'm pretty sure there's only a year or two left in the old girl before they take her out and shoot her.
Really, prices across the board are getting out of hand, barring Standard. Maybe that's the goal? Who knows. At any rate, the money's too tempting, and I don't get to play as much as I'd like anyway. I'll probably keep my EDH decks and build a cube or something, but I'm cashing in everything else.
I remember that time. 'OMG Mox [whatever] is a $300 card, how am I supposed to afford that?!?!?!?'
-
Re: Holy inflation, Batman!
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Mr.C
I remember that time. 'OMG Mox [whatever] is a $300 card, how am I supposed to afford that?!?!?!?'
i remember that, I was 13 @ the time and I had a handful of dual lands. Now I can almost trade an underground sea for a mox... somethings wrong here.
-
Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices and Reprints Thread
One sees infinitely more play than the other to be fair...
-
Re: Holy inflation, Batman!
Quote:
Originally Posted by
apple713
i remember that, I was 13 @ the time and I had a handful of dual lands. Now I can almost trade an underground sea for a mox... somethings wrong here.
Just means that I'll be trading duals for Moxes soon. Might be able to finish that Unlimited set I've been postponing, heh.
-
Re: Holy inflation, Batman!
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Mr.C
Just means that I'll be trading duals for Moxes soon. Might be able to finish that Unlimited set I've been postponing, heh.
yeah it'll be interesting. It might meld the legacy and vintage crowds since there is like 90% overlap and just a handful of extra duals can get u all the vintage staples
-
Re: Holy inflation, Batman!
Quote:
Originally Posted by
apple713
yeah it'll be interesting. It might meld the legacy and vintage crowds since there is like 90% overlap and just a handful of extra duals can get u all the vintage staples
Vintage, from what little I do understand about the format, is completely different from Legacy. I doubt it's just about throwing Mana Drains where there were Spell Pierces, and calling it a day. I for one will never play Vintage, no matter how wide is the overlap, because I find nothing thrilling about Vintage and its broken cards for even more broken prices.
While Legacy decks at 2000 - 3000 bucks are stretching the limit, Vintage piles are simply insane.
I'm afraid that the answer is somewhere in the posts above: non-rotating format are doomed to this fate - massive reprints or slow death.
Otoh, it's told for years, and it still didn't happen.
Quote:
Well gentlemen, it's been a pleasure, but I think I'm out. Volcanic Island and Underground Sea have crept up to $300 on the retail end, Force of Will is ~$100 and creeping upward, and Wasteland is apparently $150 now. Where the blue duals are at in particular was the price point of Moxes when Vintage started to die out. I guess SCG can keep the format artificially alive for a little while longer, but I'm pretty sure there's only a year or two left in the old girl before they take her out and shoot her.
True. Yet I got my duals, and with them I got all that I need. I may sit on them for half a century, it's not like I need the money and until the power creep kills Goyf, Delver or Mongoose, I may play the tournaments together with my grandson.
What I can't justify are new purchases and buying into [insert format]. But I think I may be able to keep eighteen lands, four Goyfs and four Forces plus maybe some Vendilion Clique and/or Sylvan Library.
Sadly, it gets worse when speaking of the sideprojects and fun decks, but then again, either our casual group rises from the ashes in full force (and then I'll have all the fun one may have), or it won't rise and then I'll keep the abovementioned sideprojects and fun decks until the final day when I simply burst out and throw them on (some future) MKM.
We're discussing a one-time investment of 2000 bucks. Not an amount of money I'd throw out of window, but well, it's not that much if it may be your only investment for next few decades.
-
Re: Holy inflation, Batman!
Quote:
Originally Posted by
'Nilla Pac
I'll be honest, I've been thinking about cashing out since prices have gotten ridiculous. It might be because I'm feeling old and washed up - if 26 is considered old, then I'm practically dead.
I've thought about it, but then I remember how much fun traveling to SCG events and such is. I would miss that aspect. I could see those who have a TON of stuff shaving their collection down, but if I did that I would want to keep at least 1 deck to play with.
-
Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices and Reprints Thread
I gave up on pimping out my Elves further. I'm not willing to spend that much money for non-blue duals and fetches. Rest is FOIL anyways ... for me it's a sign.
Cashed in everything that isn't in decks or are slot-changes
-
Re: Holy inflation, Batman!
Quote:
Originally Posted by
'Nilla Pac
I'll be honest, I've been thinking about cashing out since prices have gotten ridiculous. It might be because I'm feeling old and washed up - if 26 is considered old, then I'm practically dead.
Tupac died at 25. :frown:
-
Re: Holy inflation, Batman!
Quote:
Originally Posted by
'Nilla Pac
You're missing out. Yes, it is a different format than Legacy - Vintage is to Legacy like No-Limit Hold'em is to Limit Hold'em.
Maybe. I never played a single game of pokre in my life and I plan to play even less of it than that of Vintage, so I can't evaluate your point.
I'm not saying Vintage is easy or "turn1 kills derp derp" or whatever else. I don't find the decks (often with an EDH-esque structure) appealling, I can't imagine myself throwing another thousands of dollars into the Magic void, etc. My only concern was exactly what I wrote: no matter how much the two formats overlap, I won't play Vintage. Also, I'm not a fan of proxies.
-
Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices and Reprints Thread
Cashed out of my foil pool yesterday. Felt good, my wallet never felt thicker before. Now to decide what to do with my regular legacy stuff, since I'm feeling somehow burned out.
-
Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices and Reprints Thread
Get your food chains while they are hot
-
Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices and Reprints Thread
Why is ancient Tomb's price climbing?
-
Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices and Reprints Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Seraph2k
Why is ancient Tomb's price climbing?
Sol lands have been on the rise for awhile. City of Traitors $100 now so it would make sense that Ancient Tomb would go up too.
Speaking of weird price jumps, Ensnaring Bridge is $25 on SCG!
-
Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices and Reprints Thread
Ensnaring bridge has been 20 on scg since Richmond because some decks played it. Looks like another reddit caused buyout for the tombs, but not really surprising because the sol Lands are getting played a decent amount and that price did always seem low. I would expect tombs to stabilize around 12
Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
-
Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices and Reprints Thread
I sold everything but my petdeck. Made a bunch of money. Bought a new computer and some Nikes with plenty more cash for fun times + savings.
Zero regrets. This game is getting stupid expensive. And the mental clarity/relief that came after I let go of all that cardboard felt pretty great.
-
Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices and Reprints Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Nocley
Ensnaring bridge has been 20 on scg since Richmond because some decks played it. Looks like another reddit caused buyout for the tombs, but not really surprising because the sol Lands are getting played a decent amount and that price did always seem low. I would expect tombs to stabilize around 12
It was at 12$ before, so I doubt it goes back that low again until Wizards does a reprint in some form. But yeah, seems like another typical, tactical buyout, maybe in the wake of the SCG Invitational because I can see lots of (Standard) players picking up Sneak & Show due to it being piss-easy to play.
-
Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices and Reprints Thread
Food chains rising. MKM 5 euro, TCG MID $12. That's double in price since last week. Any guess why?
-
Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices and Reprints Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by
prateta
Food chains rising. MKM 5 euro, TCG MID $12. That's double in price since last week. Any guess why?
it was in the top 8 of yesterday's SCG open.
Seriously tho, I am also thinking about just selling the cards I don't play, and keep my pet decks. It's stupid that we are now in a world where the moment a card gets a top 8 apparition, or, even worse, the moment a card merely gets mentioned by a pro at some point, that card basically doubles or triples value because all the copies of that card just disapears from the internet something like 15 minutes later.
-
Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices and Reprints Thread
Seriously, Ancient Tomb? I got damn lucky then when I picked up 3 for 10-12 two weeks ago. Number four will have to wait a while. Glad I bit the bullet on Cities with that little $20 jump.
Guess I'll have to be more on the ball and finish picking up the last cards I want.
This is stupid.
-
Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices and Reprints Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by
ThediscoPower
it was in the top 8 of yesterday's SCG open.
Seriously tho, I am also thinking about just selling the cards I don't play, and keep my pet decks. It's stupid that we are now in a world where the moment a card gets a top 8 apparition, or, even worse, the moment a card merely gets mentioned by a pro at some point, that card basically doubles or triples value because all the copies of that card just disapears from the internet something like 15 minutes later.
I see. Could you link me to a decklist? Can't find it.
-
Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices and Reprints Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by
prateta
I see. Could you link me to a decklist? Can't find it.
Sure, there you go
http://sales.starcitygames.com//deck...p?DeckID=65228
-
Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices and Reprints Thread
First time I've felt like cashing out. So much money just sitting in my closet. I like having the cards but, damn, I like a shit load of cash. Best/easiest way to cash out sell the good stuff on Ebay and then bulk the rest or what?
-
Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices and Reprints Thread
I was too lazy/paranoid to deal with eBay so I sold stuff to locals via community Facebook groups and to friends who knew I was selling. If you have a big enough collection and word gets out, people will come to you. I felt that was a great way to sell out because I'm getting near eBay prices and am able to keep the cards within the community of players. So at least somebody can play with them. Depending on where you live, this may or may not be a viable way of selling. The rest I buy listed to the highest online bidder (usually SCG) and/or traded into stuff somebody wanted to buy.
If you don't have a local community full of hungry Legacy players, then probably eBay is your best bet. Small stuff can just be buy listed because the eBay/buy list differences are sometimes negligible and nobody really wants to buy anything but staples in a 1 on 1 transaction, so the small stuff takes way longer to move.
I'm no pro seller. This is just my personal experience.
-
Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices and Reprints Thread
I would sell cards on MOTL. Ebay fees suck.
-
Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices and Reprints Thread
I use MKM. Sadly, every time I sell anything, I immediatelly purchase something else. :-D
I'd love to cah out and keep the pet deck, but it's sooo slow process.
-
Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices and Reprints Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by
shrubs
Seriously, Ancient Tomb? I got damn lucky then when I picked up 3 for 10-12 two weeks ago. Number four will have to wait a while. Glad I bit the bullet on Cities with that little $20 jump.
Guess I'll have to be more on the ball and finish picking up the last cards I want.
This is stupid.
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-b...2/IMAG1195.jpg
plus another 4 in EDH decks / boxes
plus I bought the last 4 foil ones @ $25 from channelfireball yesterday ... and today they are $50 for the FTV foil ... #wwa
-
Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices and Reprints Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Seraph2k
Why is ancient Tomb's price climbing?
Accidently won a bid on 4 of them for 40 four weeks ago... I was disappointed at the time, but no complaints now!
-
Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices and Reprints Thread
For all the comparisons to stocks, this almost feels like the moment before the bubble pops. Everything going for bonkers prices, kind of surprisingly, not 'out of nowhere' exactly but still causing people to wonder if Card X is actually worth that price tag...
sent from phone, don't be a dick
-
Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices and Reprints Thread
The bubble wont burst. People sell, prices go down, people buy back in. The difference between this and a stock, is that a lot of people play magic because they enjoy it. Not everyone is in it for the financial aspect.
-
Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices and Reprints Thread
It's getting old seeing prices keep jumping. It's bad for the format, encourages hording and speculation, and more importantly, it's sucking some of the fun out of the game. Now I'm afraid to go anywhere except straight home after tournaments because I don't want to leave my stuff in my car. I don't trade anymore because I don't want to bring the stuff with me and risk it. I bought a safe to put my staples/decks in, and I guess I might as well jump on the double-sleeve wagon even though it seems like a massive pain in the ass and I hate the way it makes decks feel.
I guess I could jump on the bandwagon and try to start speculating and make some money off the game, but I already spend most of my waking hours in pursuit of a paycheck, and more money isn't going to make me any happier at this point. What would make me happier is if I could go enjoy Magic events without feeling like I need a secret service detail on me.
-
Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices and Reprints Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Megadeus
The bubble wont burst. People sell, prices go down, people buy back in.
Typical bubble talk.
All it takes are actually good fakes (probably takes a while, though) or SCG dropping the Legacy Open in 2015 or 2016 (more likely) - since people can't play that often with their cards anymore, a mass cash out is going to happen.
-
Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices and Reprints Thread
The big point being that since this is first and foremost, a game, there is incentive to keep your cards outside of monetarily them being worth money. Also if prices drop, wouldn't the players who want to keep playing legacy buy in?
-
Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices and Reprints Thread
I think the sell out rate would greatly exceed the buy in rate. Few people want to buy into a dying format or even one that appears to be dying on the outside because who wants to invest in something thats not going to exist for long?
-
Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices and Reprints Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Megadeus
The big point being that since this is first and foremost, a game, there is incentive to keep your cards outside of monetarily them being worth money. Also if prices drop, wouldn't the players who want to keep playing legacy buy in?
The most likely case is people keeping 1-2 of their pet decks and sell the rest.
And who would buy into a format with no real tournament support? Nobody buys cards to play a game they can't play.
-
Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices and Reprints Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Barook
The most likely case is people keeping 1-2 of their pet decks and sell the rest.
And who would buy into a format with no real tournament support? Nobody buys cards to play a game they can't play.
That is assuming that support for the format goes away. WHich may happen in a couple of years, but certainly is not happening now. It is actually growing as of now, hence why prices are going up.
-
Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices and Reprints Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Megadeus
That is assuming that support for the format goes away. WHich may happen in a couple of years, but certainly is not happening now. It is actually growing as of now, hence why prices are going up.
Modern is still growing faster, though, and due to lower prices, SCG could move more product. Hence me saying SCG might drop Legacy Open support in its current form in 2015 or 2016.
On a different note: I know Modern is the cause, but why did Leonin Arbiter skyrocket?
http://www.mtggoldfish.com/price/Sca...Leonin+Arbiter
-
Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices and Reprints Thread
Yeah but they have a lot invested into legacy. And Modern is doing fine without their support. With their support legacy would tank, hence them losing a lot of money. Also I wouldn't say that Leonin being at 2 dollars is "Spiking"
-
Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices and Reprints Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by
nodahero
I think the sell out rate would greatly exceed the buy in rate. Few people want to buy into a dying format or even one that appears to be dying on the outside because who wants to invest in something thats not going to exist for long?
Price bubble and dying format posts in the same day. Today has been a busy day indeed :yawn:
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Barook
Modern is still growing faster, though, and due to lower prices, SCG could move more product. Hence me saying SCG might drop Legacy Open support in its current form in 2015 or 2016.
On a different note: I know Modern is the cause, but why did Leonin Arbiter skyrocket?
http://www.mtggoldfish.com/price/Sca...Leonin+Arbiter
You sure it's not vintage White Trash? :wink: