Could you explain a little further? You mean the eternal garden list? Or what is the lands deck that plays combo?
@apple:
No thanks that deck is just not beautiful.
Printable View
Artwork is 1 factor yes and the other factors are not easy to explain. Also I already have some cards for lands deck like Tabernacle, Exploration, in case of Eternal Garden Tropical Island etc. ... Also Enchantress didn't make a top8 finish since October 2012. Now you are online could you maybe tell me what lands list he means with combo?
Maybe I am stupid or maybe I just don't understand because english is not my native... is the dark depths deck the "landsdecktogo" or another list? Which Landslist would do best as allrounder?
There is this discussion about the best list of whatever, so i thought it would be a good time to post my list:
// Lands
4 [MM] Rishadan Port
3 [FUT] Tolaria West
1 [IA] Glacial Chasm
3 [A] Tropical Island
1 [TSP] Academy Ruins
1 [LG] The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale
1 [LG] Karakas
2 [ON] Tranquil Thicket
3 [DK] Maze of Ith
4 [TE] Wasteland
1 [ZEN] Misty Rainforest
1 [DIS] Ghost Quarter
1 [ON] Windswept Heath
1 [ON] Wooded Foothills
2 [A] Savannah
1 [ZEN] Verdant Catacombs
1 [A] Taiga
3 [FUT] Grove of the Burnwillows
1 [CS] Dark Depths
1 [GTC] Thespian's Stage
// Spells
3 [TE] Intuition
1 [V10] Zuran Orb
4 [RAV] Life from the Loam
4 [US] Exploration
2 [FD] Engineered Explosives
4 [SH] Mox Diamond
1 [FD] Crucible of Worlds
1 [SH] Ensnaring Bridge
2 [MI] Enlightened Tutor
3 [ZEN] Punishing Fire
// Sideboard
SB: 1 [MI] Cursed Totem
SB: 3 [MR] Chalice of the Void
SB: 3 [ISD] Geist of Saint Traft
SB: 1 [DK] Tormod's Crypt
SB: 2 [DS] Trinisphere
SB: 2 [EX] Sphere of Resistance
SB: 3 [TSP] Krosan Grip
The key card is the SB Geist of Saint Traft, someone said we are a little weak to this little fella, so, if you can't beat them, join them! I might test a second E. bridge in the SB if the geist plan is not working so well, hope you guys like the list!
To clarify:
There is basically a standard 4 color Lands build which utilizes Tolaria West and silver bullet artifacts. It looks something like this – though do mind that that particular list is pre M14 rules and thus does not yet include Stage-Depths. You probably make room for one of each by cutting Creeping Tar Pit and Bojuka Bog (or Barbarian Ring).
Then there is this unconventional 3 color build without blue with more combo pieces, easier access to Loam and Fires, but without answers like Engineered Explosives and Zuran Orb. It actually looks a lot closer to the old Lands builds before playing blue was common.
Nobody knows yet which build is better. The first one is the more proven, standard one. But the second looks very promising (to me) as well.
Could you maybe elaborate a bit what you hope Geist to accomplish from your sideboard? Block theirs? Because as an unremovable threat they don't expect it looks pretty weak. Sure you can attack freely with Maze of Ith but I'm not sure that is what we want to do.Quote:
Originally Posted by Oreia
For me, Geist is a big surprise for the opponent, i used to play Bobs in that slot, but the Bobs were always dying to Bolts, P fire, Abrupt Decay, any kind of removal they usually leave in in post boarded games, and the Geist can make those cards dead, is a HUGE clock for combo, and most of the decks can't even interact with it post board(Jund and Bug side their Liliana's out), we also can protect it with our mazes and Karakas.Quote:
Could you maybe elaborate a bit what you hope Geist to accomplish from your sideboard? Block theirs? Because as an unremovable threat they don't expect it looks pretty weak. Sure you can attack freely with Maze of Ith but I'm not sure that is what we want to do.
I played another Legacy Regional today, went 4-1, losing only to Grixis Delver.
here is the list i played today:
// Lands
4 [MM] Rishadan Port
3 [FUT] Tolaria West
1 [IA] Glacial Chasm
3 [A] Tropical Island
1 [TSP] Academy Ruins
1 [LG] The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale
1 [LG] Karakas
2 [ON] Tranquil Thicket
3 [DK] Maze of Ith
4 [TE] Wasteland
1 [ZEN] Misty Rainforest
1 [DIS] Ghost Quarter
1 [ON] Windswept Heath
1 [ON] Wooded Foothills
1 [A] Savannah
1 [A] Taiga
3 [FUT] Grove of the Burnwillows
1 [CS] Dark Depths
1 [GTC] Thespian's Stage
1 [UNH] Forest
// Spells
3 [TE] Intuition
1 [V10] Zuran Orb
4 [RAV] Life from the Loam
4 [US] Exploration
2 [FD] Engineered Explosives
4 [SH] Mox Diamond
1 [FD] Crucible of Worlds
1 [SH] Ensnaring Bridge
2 [MI] Enlightened Tutor
3 [ZEN] Punishing Fire
1 [LG] Sylvan Library
// Sideboard
SB: 1 [MI] Cursed Totem
SB: 3 [MR] Chalice of the Void
SB: 3 [ISD] Geist of Saint Traft
SB: 1 [DK] Tormod's Crypt
SB: 2 [DS] Trinisphere
SB: 2 [EX] Sphere of Resistance
SB: 3 [TSP] Krosan Grip
(-1 Verdant Catacombs -1 Savannah + 1 Sylvan Library + 1 Basic Forest from the previous list)
Round 1 Affinity
g1 Pretty easy match, i knew he was on affinity so i kept a double maze E. Bridge hand and menaged to win with the Marit Lage.
g2 Same as g1, but this time i resolved a sphere of resistence to slow him down.
1-0
2-0
Round 2 Aggro Loam
G1 Wastelocking him really fast with exploration, wastelands and E.E. for 0 to clean his chalices and mox diamonds out of the way, finishing with the marit lage, ol' course!
G2 i kept a triple waste exploration hand.... after i got my waste and Loam extracted i topdecked a Geist to smash along with the marit lage token(5 minutes on the clock and he was on 27 life due to grove lifegain)
2-0
4-0
Round 3 Sneak and Show
G1 Another easy match which resumed to a topdecked Karakas + E. Bridge... he conceded.
G2 He dropped a turn 2 blood moon to lock my karakas out.... show and told an Emrakul, EOT Krosan Grip the B Moon , bounce the emrakul, kill him with marit Lage token.
This is a Legacy regional, and i'm already q'ued for the national, he asked me if i could conced to him so he could make top 8..... My heart was broken and i conceded! hahaha
3-0*
6-0*
Round 4 Grixis Delver
g1 Supposed to be a good match.... i thought he was on Jund, kept with a waste lock hand and died to a couple flipped delvers...
g2 Kept with 3 lands.... Din't find another one in 5 turns... Damn!
Round 5 The Epic Storm]
G1 a good friend of mine, he thought i was on DnT, keeping a Sylvan Library, Mox diamond, Loam Zuran Orb land made me confy.... god knows how wrong i was, since i dind't draw another land the whole game.
G2 Keeping a one-lander turbo hate hand kinda made me happy... topdecking 3 lands in a row made me cast 3 trinisfere, a chalice for 1 and a Geist. of course i won.
G3 He therapy'ed my for Trinisfere on turn 1... i revealed a hand of double Chalice, 2 lands a mox and a geist, cast this stuff on turn 1 and passed, topdecked a 3sphere on turno 3 and he conceded.
Again, another friend who was not q'ued for the national so i conceded.
Overall the deck cooperated with me, don't think there's a single card i would change in the 75, hope you guys like my little report, and comment your thoughts! Thanks!
Sad that noone comments :) I like the report but since I am pretty new to Lands i don't know what to comment. If my last orders come tomorrow I finally can start with Kurts DD list and I am happy about that! Can't wait to test.
I ran the r/g Depths Stage list at the SCG Invitational, and I liked it a lot. I used to play blue lands but I think it's too slow for legacy right now. Having Gamble as opposed to Intuition/Enlightened Tutor made tutoring for Punishing Fire or Grove vs Deathrite Shaman much easier, and having cheap tutors made the combo matchups much better. I beat Show and Tell and Storm at Somerset, and a big part of that was being able to combo them quickly, or tutor for Last Rites post board.
Lands is already pretty cold to Extirpate on Loam, so I would not worry too much about that. You could actually argue that a Stage-Depths list with Crop Rotations and Gambles is stronger vs. Extirpate than the traditional list. Pithing Needle is rarely played preboard (post board you have answers, too) – and you can always fall back on Punishing Fires.
@ Serbitar: thanks for the advice.
About the R/G Depths list, I wonder if sylvan library could be a good idea (having swords to plowshares vs 20/20 token in mind).
I piloted Oreia's list from above yesterday, and did quite well with it. I showed up at two local weeklies and went 2-1 (didn't cut to top8, it was a small showing and their tournament structure is odd) and 4-0 at another one. I had lost to a SnT player and proceeded to win games for the rest of the day. Not a lot of people were familiar with the deck, and I was happy to surprise some people by not timing out using Stage-Depths. This deck can really kill quickly and efficiently if it needs to.
I'm still new to the deck, and I'd like to learn it through and through. Some question for you veterans:
-I have not warmed up to Glacial Chasm yet. In most of my games it just pitches to Mox Diamond. I understand it gives you protection, but I've almost never needed it. Would it be wrong to cut it?
-I have a hard time sideboarding correctly. What's the general rule of thumb when doing so with this deck? Oreia's 3x Geist is really spicy, and I'd like to be able to incorporate that into my game play.
-What are some of the more creative Intuition piles you've come up with the deck?
-Is Zuran Orb our pre-board plan against Storm? I can't think of any other way. That match up is abysmal g1. I lucked out against Burn last night but I can also tell that it's not usually supposed to be that good either.
especially if you run stage, dont cut chasm. its such a sweet timewalk.
Hey bro, really nice to see that someone went all in with my list, thank you very much!
- Chasm is not only a time walk, sometimes is your only saver(needle on Mazes or whatever), Chasm plus stage is really a HARD LOCK for 90% of the decks that are trying to kill you with normal damage, too good of an interaction, shouldn't be cut.
- For sideboard options, as Bobby said more then once, Intuition is cut more then 85% of the times(all 3), if you are running manabound, that should be cut too(more often then the intuitions, but my list doesn't run any bounds), , next step is cut all the useless/less good on that match(Karakas Against Rug, Mazes against combo, i also side out one or both Tranquil Thickets when i need to be fast against other aggros/combos) and the Punishing Fires against combo and control(although i like to leave a singleton P Fire in case i can lock my opponent out of the game and he is not conceding any time soon).
- Zuran orb is out main deck flusterstorm against Storm, if you know you are playing against this you should mull to a hand of Zuran Orb/Turn 3 or early intuition, plus port if possible/Turno 3 or early Tolaria West transmute/E Tutor, you should try to keep a hand without any of this combinations of cards, but i'll need a lot of luck to win!. Also, if your oponnent know's you are on Lands, that's an advantage for you, because he will probably keep a slow hand since you have "no way" to interact with him game one, then you can cast Zuran Orb and see their face of "DAMMIT, I THOUGHT HE WAS THE UNDERDOG THIS MATCH".
BTW, congratulations for your results with the deck!
I must say i happily keep any wastelock hand. or something like:
Mox, exploration, maze, port, loam. 2 random lands.
Best feeling in the world to trounce with lands. I don't get why people have a gripe with lands and being caught in its web. It's similar to being helpless against CB, but I guess having lands in play gives hope. I find it very stimulating and challenging to wield. Loving it so far. I was 0-1-1 in scgbalt this weekend, but hung in there and went on to win the next 5. Rough mu in last rounds with shardless and getting poopy dredges and hands vs goblins ): but still finished in the money!
Marit Lage > Emrakul