Re: Throne of Eldraine Spoilers
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Final Fortune
I don't think you'd play it, 4 Infernal Tutor and 4 Monkey Paw lets you run 4 Chrome Mox and 4 Mox Opal and just head for Ad Nauseam? Enabling Metalcraft and being able to break up the mana makes this faster than Grim Tutor from gold fishing, I think it will create its own Storm archetype.
You can't imprint artifacts with chrome mox, so gotta check for colored non artifacts count.
Re: Throne of Eldraine Spoilers
Quote:
Originally Posted by
bruizar
Fervent Knight -> I like this with Bloodforged Battle-Axe
Murderous Rider -> I see this as a win condition for creatureless control decks. The lifegain synergizes well with control because it will help stabilize the control player.
Robber of the Rich -> Dragon Stompy: blocks delver and provides gas while dodging chalice
Once Upon a Time -> Modern Tron, Legacy Dark Depths, perhaps Storm combo like Land Grant. I’m not as big of a fan of this as others, seems overhyped
Embercleave -> Not a good card for legacy, but useful in my particular stompy build. Want to try it out as a one off. Has win more written all over it, but it will be impactful in standard I think. Otherwise crap for legacy
Mystical Dispute -> I think it only works for blue decks that can’t run red. Not a big fan.
Gilded Goose -> I think this is very much a legacy playable, capable of putting burn decks out of contention, which is good for control decks.
Wishclaw Talisman -> I don’t believe the hype. Teferi’s -3 is too expensive to waste on your own card. You want to protect Teferi and need to use that -3 on your opponent’s threats
Seven Dwarves -> I think this will be surprisingly good in Draft and Pauper. Relentless rats costs 3 mana, this is only 2.
Feasting Troll -> 9 life is nothing to scoff at, and recursion is good. Too bad you don’t get food with recurring nightmare, and too bad the thing doesn’t have reach. Yes, I'm talking NicFit. I also like Shimmer Dragon for blue builds.
Questing Beast -> Sylvan Plug?
Witch’s Oven -> This card is a great sacrifice outlet. Veteran Explorer gets 2 lands which can be used to sac the food for 3 life. I could see a fringe nicfit build with Feasting Troll and Witch’s Oven.
Oko -> I’m not sure, but I’m leaning towards yes. I think the +2 is an amazing ability (its best ability). +2 life for Oko, +3 life for you provides a really great pillow, and you can shrink bigger stuff or build your own army once you stabilize. I’m so sad this is Simic though, wish it was Gruul.
The Royal Scions -> I’m not super impressed, but it will be a good card. Just not one that can compete for slots with Teferi and Narset. Reminds me a bit of Elspeth with the + abilities, and reminds me of Chandra, Fire Artisan with the ultimate.
Of all the cards, I most want to get my hands on Golden Goose and Murderous Rider. I think Food is a great mechanic that favors control style builds and a combo meta, beause it slows down the format. Hard times for burn decks.
I agree on the goose. It is the only card I preordered so far. It can be had now for about $5. I can see it getting played heavily in standard, so the price may increase after release. I think $5 is fair for an eternal playable mana dork.
Once upon a time I think could be eternal playable, but I'm not sure I want in on the current price. It's best case is great, but otherwise it's kind of a mopey card by legacy standards. Then again, it's a cantrip that dodges chalice. I have a feeling it could be a standard staple, but even then, I can't see it increasing too much in price. I want to play it in simic flash in arena.
Oko is another card I have mixed opinions on. It's not a super powerful card on its own and it's outclassed by the evil blue twins from WAR. The reason I think it will eventually be eternal playable is that I get the feeling food will become evergreen (like treasure). Cheap food generators will be great once a good payoff is printed. That payoff could be lurking in the yet to be spoiled cards. The goose is a safer pick at preorder price. A floor as a mana dork will always be decent.
Royal Scions might be okay in standard/modern phoenix. Other than that, looks on the weak side, because we have an embarrassment of riches at the 3 spot.
Murderous rider is a cool card, but I can only really see it in pox. Even then, it doesn't recur. Creatureless control decks already have Jace (or Wrenn).
Re: Throne of Eldraine Spoilers
Is gingerbrute the first artifact creature that they've printed which has an artifact subtype rather than creature subtypes?
Re: Throne of Eldraine Spoilers
Into the Story 5UU
Instant
Draw four cards.
If an opponent has 7 or more cards in their graveyard, this costs 3 less.
Uncommon
That seems really good as a 2-of in a control deck. Could see something like Miracles playing it as at least a 1-of.
Re: Throne of Eldraine Spoilers
Quote:
Originally Posted by
morgan_coke
Into the Story 5UU
Instant
Draw four cards.
If an opponent has 7 or more cards in their graveyard, this costs 3 less.
Uncommon
That seems really good as a 2-of in a control deck. Could see something like Miracles playing it as at least a 1-of.
Yeah I like this card a lot. Also gonna be an EDH all star.
Re: Throne of Eldraine Spoilers
Miracle is super dead after W6
Re: Throne of Eldraine Spoilers
https://i.redd.it/48hbpnjn96m31.png
B Sorcery
Target opponent reveals his or her hand. You may choose a nonland card from the opponent's hand. If you do, opponent exiles that card. If a nonblack card was exiled in this way, exile a card from your hand.
Re: Throne of Eldraine Spoilers
https://media.wizards.com/2019/eld/en_zSUxKmm2v4.png
Two potentially relevant cards (the one above this one, and this one).
Re: Throne of Eldraine Spoilers
So uh....fixed Faithless Looting for modern?
Re: Throne of Eldraine Spoilers
Re: Throne of Eldraine Spoilers
Quote:
Originally Posted by
BenBleiweiss
This card is shockingly good and will be a staple in legacy sideboards.
Re: Throne of Eldraine Spoilers
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Pittplayer
This card is shockingly good and will be a staple in legacy sideboards.
Well, it's cheaper than Rule of Law or Ethersworn Canonist, but I don't know that it's any better. Suffers all the same issues in stopping combo they do.
Re: Throne of Eldraine Spoilers
Rule of Law is unplayably expensive and Canonist is glass fragile.
This card is great and totally wrecks combo and Omniscience. Good job. Now let’s try Erayo’s Essence
Re: Throne of Eldraine Spoilers
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Poron
Rule of Law is unplayably expensive and Canonist is glass fragile.
This card is great and totally wrecks combo and Omniscience. Good job. Now let’s try Erayo’s Essence
Ponder on my turn.
Brainstorm on your turn.
Chain of Vapor, go off.
I've seen that exact sequence plenty of times with "Rule" effects out. It's a speedbump, nothing more, buys you one turn, maybe, maybe two on the outside in niche cases. There are plenty of better, more versatile options for that job of "buy one turn vs. combo". Even in white this is worse than hitting them with a Silence or Chant halfway through their combo turn.
Re: Throne of Eldraine Spoilers
Card is way more playable than rule of law. Pretty decent even against Cantrip Cartel decks. I could definitely see this card seeing play
Re: Throne of Eldraine Spoilers
Quote:
Originally Posted by
morgan_coke
Ponder on my turn.
Brainstorm on your turn.
Chain of Vapor, go off.
I've seen that exact sequence plenty of times with "Rule" effects out. It's a speedbump, nothing more, buys you one turn, maybe, maybe two on the outside in niche cases. There are plenty of better, more versatile options for that job of "buy one turn vs. combo". Even in white this is worse than hitting them with a Silence or Chant halfway through their combo turn.
I love people who chime in with, but there are answers to that card! Yeah. Every card has a card that stops it. When Silence/Chant came out you would have been, storm runs Duress, so they just strip the card from your hand and go off. And your entire point is nonsense, Chant buys you one turn, this new cards forces your opp to have to dig for answers before going off, buying you multiple turns. And this being one mana makes it way better then the other options.
Re: Throne of Eldraine Spoilers
Quote:
Originally Posted by
BenBleiweiss
https://i.redd.it/48hbpnjn96m31.png
B Sorcery
Target opponent reveals his or her hand. You may choose a nonland card from the opponent's hand. If you do, opponent exiles that card. If a nonblack card was exiled in this way, exile a card from your hand.
Interesting. A discard card that's actually good vs dredge.
Re: Throne of Eldraine Spoilers
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Pittplayer
Interesting. A discard card that's actually good vs dredge.
Great, an Unmask where I still have to pay the mana.
Re: Throne of Eldraine Spoilers
Quote:
Originally Posted by
BenBleiweiss
It seems like whenever we get a solid enchantment lately, it's the exact type of effect that standard Enchantress can't play (and can be used against it), like this and Spirit of the Labyrinth. Estrid's Invocation was an exception. I'm gonna test the new card in my weird build that eschews enchantress effects for RiP, Field, Helm, Humility, etc., but that's another story.
Re: Throne of Eldraine Spoilers
Quote:
Originally Posted by
mistercakes
You can't imprint artifacts with chrome mox, so gotta check for colored non artifacts count.
I meant Chrome Mox and Monkey Paw both enable Mox Opal on board, imprinting doesn't matter as it isn't necessary to play Chrome Mox.