Re: [Deck] Dreadstill - Enter the Fist
Hey, a bunch of top decklists run them!, just not very many. Magri has but 2 Tarmogoyfs main and one additional one side. They are a nice a addition, but not quite needed.
The real question is, if Tarmogoyf isn't an auto include at a four of and, if it is included but only as a 2-3 of, then why should Grunt, a card that tends to be weaker in this scenario, be?
Re: [Deck] Dreadstill - Enter the Fist
Because Goyf is a vanilla beatstick whereas Grunt has an ability that is a huge bomb against almost all the top decks in the format.
It's ability shuts down threshold completely or slows them down by several turns. The fact that Grunt does this over multiple turns is actually an advantage over Crypt in most situations. You drop crypt, clear their yard, and they spend the next few turns making a full recovery. Whereas, you play Grunt, almost immediately shrink their Goyf so that they can no longer block a 4/4 with it. Then over multiple turns, you empty their yard. Those are turns where your opponent can't try to make a recovery, because it would only be helping out Grunt. So they end up being more turns behind than with Crypt.
It's ability greatly slows down all the various decks that run and rely on tombstalker.
It's ability is useful agianst loam based decks and against ichorid.
It's a tormod's crypt that beats for atleast 8 damage frequently. Yes, that does mean Dreadnought will win the game in one attack as opposed to two.
But really, you claim that you win many games by beating down with Trinket Mage and Factories. Jotun Grunt makes it that much more likely you can do that. If Jotun Grunt deals 12 damage, which is actually fairly easy to do, then you just need 4 attacks with either Factory or Mage to finish them off.
You guys are looking at Grunt wrong. It's hate against the most popular deck in the format (threshold), another extremely popular deck (tombstalker based aggro such as eva green and pox variants) and against several other decks first and foremost.
The fact that it is a beatstick is extremely good too, but it's not it's only function.
If all I wanted was a beatstick, I would play Goyf.
If all I wanted was graveyard hate, I would play Crypt.
But the fact is, I want both, and Jotun Grunt delivers, in a big way.
The fact that it just flat out outclasses opposing Goyfs (the most popular creature in the format) is just icing on the two layer cake.
Re: [Deck] Dreadstill - Enter the Fist
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Clark Kant
Goyf is a vanilla beatstick
This argument is over a year old and it still doesnt add up to squat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Clark Kant
(Grunt) is a tormod's crypt that beats for atleast 8 damage frequently.
Tormods, crypt costs zero and provides and instant speed removal of the WHOLE graveyard as early as turn 1. The two arent even close. Crypt actually provides an obstacle for Ichorid. Jotun Grunt come on early as turn 2, sits there for a turn and then maybe gets to remove 2 cards before they combo out in your face.
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Clark Kant
If all I wanted was a beatstick, I would play Goyf.
If all I wanted was graveyard hate, I would play Crypt.
But the fact is, I want both, and Jotun Grunt delivers, in a big way.
Clark, you sound like a Jotun Grunt salesman. You could replace Jotun Grunt and Crypt with Ford Taurus or Heineken, and it would be pretty much the same. Establish a false dilemma and then present your product as an alternative.
Watch:
If all I wanted was a truck, I would drive a pickup.
If all I wanted was sports car, I would drive a coupe.
But the fact is, I want both, and the 1978 Chevy El Camino delivers, in a big way.
Theres nothing there, no argument, just salesmanship.
Plz, stop writing posts that take up half a page and say nothing.
Re: [Deck] Dreadstill - Enter the Fist
Okay, Clark. I will explain this to you very clearly:
Grunt is slow. Slow is bad. It takes SEVERAL TURNS before it can effectively used. Just because it costs 2 doesn't mean it can be dropped turn 2. I think that you need to realize that immediately needs "now." It can take 2-3 turns before Grunt can reliably shrink Goyf. Sure, the ultimate outcome is nice, but this isn't magic.
Quote:
But really, you claim that you win many games by beating down with Trinket Mage and Factories. Jotun Grunt makes it that much more likely you can do that. If Jotun Grunt deals 12 damage, which is actually fairly easy to do, then you just need 4 attacks with either Factory or Mage to finish them off.
Note: I never claimed that I won by beating down with Manlands and Mages. Cames can be won with that, but I never said it was the big way to go.
Honestly, dealing 12 is EASY? This assumes your opponent has done nothing for much of the game save put cards in his graveyard. I have only once evr seen grunt actually deal for 2 and that was against me when I ended up being severely manascrewed when playing Black Based Control.
Quote:
You guys are looking at Grunt wrong. It's hate against the most popular deck in the format (threshold), another extremely popular deck (tombstalker based aggro such as eva green and pox variants) and against several other decks first and foremost.
You are looking at grunt wrong. You are right, it is great hate. However, when you are not busy hating, Grunt is busy wasting space. This would mean that Grunt would be an excellent sideboard cad, but not worthy of maindeck inclusion as you are arguing for.
Honestly,You seem to think everyone is going to be "Wow, a creature that could trouble me! I wish I had a way of dealing with it!" Maybe someone will next invent a way to counter spells and remove creatures.
Quote:
If all I wanted was a beatstick, I would play Goyf.
If all I wanted was graveyard hate, I would play Crypt.
If all I wanted was a decent way of winning, I would play Goyf.
If all I wanted was decent hate against decks like Thresh and Ichorid, I would play Crypt.[/quote]
Quote:
But the fact is, I want both, and Jotun Grunt delivers, in a big way.
You know what delivers more? Goyf MD and Crypt SB.
Quote:
The fact that it just flat out outclasses opposing Goyfs (the most popular creature in the format) is just icing on the two layer cake.
It takes time to outclass those Goyfs, like I said before. You seem to be thinking that your Goyfs will be sitting there for 3-4 turns unopposed while your opponent generously fills his graveyard to keep it in play. Magic doesn't work that way. If your opponent is threatened by it, they will try to stop it. And yes, if they are playing a slower grave dependent deck, and yes, if you can get the thing to stick around then yes, Grunt is good.
Otherwise, it is a VERY bad Goyf.
Re: [Deck] Dreadstill - Enter the Fist
The main problem with hating on graveyards is Dreadstill doesn't really need to accomplish this. I mean sure, if you really see alot of Ichorid then run 1 Crypt in the main but that's it. Grunt just isn't fast enough I'm afraid I think you'd be better off testing something else in that slot like O-Ring.
Re: [Deck] Dreadstill - Enter the Fist
two more placings with dreadstill at Ancient Memory Convention 35th. 6th and 7th out of 53 people.
http://www.deckcheck.net/list.php?ty...&format=Legacy
one of the decks ran Erayo, Soratami Ascendant. I personally don't like him but have also not tested him.
Re: [Deck] Dreadstill - Enter the Fist
Maybe this has been covered, but do Dreadnought-Stifle and Standstill-Factory have some sort of synergy with each other I am missing? What incentive is there to play these two specifically in the same deck, as opposed to, um, other things?
Re: [Deck] Dreadstill - Enter the Fist
Gives you the ability to win those matchups Landstill has trouble with with an explosive two turn clock. Standstill and Dreadnought are great together you use the CA from Standstill to instead of controlling their board to drop a Dreadnought and win with countermagic. They actually are synergenic.
Re: [Deck] Dreadstill - Enter the Fist
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Illissius
Maybe this has been covered, but do Dreadnought-Stifle and Standstill-Factory have some sort of synergy with each other I am missing? What incentive is there to play these two specifically in the same deck, as opposed to, um, other things?
Nought-Stifle is an immensely powerful combo, but it needs protection for the 2 (rarely 3) turns it takes for Nought to rip your opponent's life to shreds. Landstill offers one of the most comprehensive defensive mechanisms there is.
Dreadstll trades a slow reliable engine of kill everything, play wincon, hope to not go to time with a much weaker defensive shell, but is has the power to win much faster. Due to the presence of maindeck Stifles/Trickbinds, plus Dreadnought being able to wipe out an opponent quickly, I would estimate that Dreadstill has one of the highest matchups against combo in the format.
I think I will do some testing to confirm this.
Re: [Deck] Dreadstill - Enter the Fist
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Cait_Sith
I would estimate that Dreadstill has one of the highest matchups against combo in the format.
I would definitely agree with you. Especially the black splash. Thoughtseize + Stifle murders storm combo.
Re: [Deck] Dreadstill - Enter the Fist
Even without a Splash you can not loose. I played about 40 games against TES and lost about 5. You have 4 FoW 4 Daze 4 Spell Snare 4 Stifle 1 Trickbind 1 EE and the best card 3 Counterbalance. Itīs near to a bye.
Re: [Deck] Dreadstill - Enter the Fist
Quote:
Originally Posted by
NQN
Even without a Splash you can not loose. I played about 40 games against TES and lost about 5. You have 4 FoW 4 Daze 4 Spell Snare 4 Stifle 1 Trickbind 1 EE and the best card 3 Counterbalance. Itīs near to a bye.
I don't understand why your TES opponent wouldn't just balls to the wall for warrens tokens. Seems to me that you could only tutor for your single EE on turn 3 into the turn 4 blow, so I can't understand how like 8 tokens wouldn't seal the deal against you.
And now with Shusher (who, admittedly doesn't touch stifle effects) I can't imagine that you're 87.5% against TES anymore.
Re: [Deck] Dreadstill - Enter the Fist
I would still estimate it at about 70% overall. While TES is digging for Shusher, you at least can pack on disruption until you drop a fast Dreadnought.
Since they cut Plunge a long time ago, the damage Dreadnought does is far less relevant, but a 2 turn clock with disruption backup is hot.
Re: [Deck] Dreadstill - Enter the Fist
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Cait_Sith
I would still estimate it at about 70% overall. While TES is digging for Shusher, you at least can pack on disruption until you drop a fast Dreadnought.
Since they cut Plunge a long time ago, the damage Dreadnought does is far less relevant, but a 2 turn clock with disruption backup is hot.
Yeah but they cut it for Infernal Contract...?
Re: [Deck] Dreadstill - Enter the Fist
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Nihil Credo
Change your member description to "I don't even read the cards I test".
I meant to say Deed not Grip, I got a little repeatitious mentioning it a bunch of times. For a nihilist you sure get your panties in a twist on the source alot.
Re: [Deck] Dreadstill - Enter the Fist
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Cait_Sith
I would still estimate it at about 70% overall. While TES is digging for Shusher, you at least can pack on disruption until you drop a fast Dreadnought.
Since they cut Plunge a long time ago, the damage Dreadnought does is far less relevant, but a 2 turn clock with disruption backup is hot.
This is about correct. I've also updated my board to give Dreadstill relevant answers to Vexing Shusher postboard in the form of dropping Chills for BEBs and I have not missed them. Also Pithing Needle handles him fairly well too.
Re: [Deck] Dreadstill - Enter the Fist
Ubg Dreadstill by Rob Rogers
beaters-7
3 Goyf
4 Dreadnought
draw/cantrip-11
4 Brainstorm
3 Dark Confidant
4 Standstill
artifact/enchantment-5
3 Counterbalance
2 Top
counter-17
2 Trickbind
4 Stifle
3 Spell Snare
4 Daze
4 Force of Will
land-20
2 Tropical Island
2 Underground Sea
6 Island
3 Polluted Delta
3 Flooded Strand
4 Mishra's Factory
side-15
3 Annul
3 Extirpate
3 Krosan Grip
3 Engineered Plague
3 Chill
Here is a ubg list I came up with and just wanted to post it in here.
some pros and cons of this build-
Pros-
*A huge number of creatures (14)
*The nice additions to the board that black gives you
*Way better vs. Gobbz
*Tons of draw power
*Quite strong in the mirror
Cons-
*No Trinket Mage tool box
*No Wastelands
What do you guys think? Is it worth taking out Trinket Mages and Wastelands for a 3 color build such as the above?
Re: [Deck] Dreadstill - Enter the Fist
Hammafist your list above looks good, but the list seems to detract away from the plan of getting the dreadnaught on the table. However you replaced the trinket mage with stronger and more useful creatures making it like an threshold esque kind of deck with the dreadnaught combo. Also you lose E.E pithing and prehaps crypt main with this list, those things do come in handy at times and not to mention that sometimes against an aggro deck a stifle and a trinket mage is good enough to win the game if you have some counters.
Have you tested the list yet? It looks pretty good on paper but how is your manabase since your b/g sources are only from duals which can be wasted/ported.
I think wastelands are nice but losing them isnt a huge deal since my w/u list runs no wastelands instead i run 1 island,1 plains and 1 academy ruins.
I am looking forward you what you say about your testing with this list, it certainly looks like an fun/interesting version of dreadstill.
Re: [Deck] Dreadstill - Enter the Fist
Hamma, if you must play a three color version without any wastelands, cutting an island or two for Fairie Conclaves might be worth a consideration to make sure you can make use of standstill.
Nothing sucks worse than giving your opponents card advantage with your own standstill because you only run Factory and they run Factory (to neuter yours) and/or Wastelands.
Treetop Village is an option too.
Re: [Deck] Dreadstill - Enter the Fist
With that list you wonīt stand a chance against Dragonstompy and Dredge. High price just for the non-existen goblin matchup.