No, but Pithing Needles all day were really annoying.
Printable View
You seem to have done well despite that, suggesting an answer to needle is not necessary. If it ain't broken don't fix it.
G/B Loam Pox.
How many Assassin's Trophy are you running? Main/board split?
My current removal suite (main deck) involves:
1x Pernicious Deed
1x Golgari Charm
1x Maelstrom Pulse
1x Toxic Deluge
2x Abrupt Decay
2x Diabolic Edict
I'm thinking to drop my Maelstrom Pulse and an Abrupt Decay, and run a 3-1 split - keep 1 Abrupt Decay in the MD and 2 Sideboard to swap out for Death and Taxes or Miracles. I currently have Dread of Night in the side for DnT. I'll find something to cut to make room for the additional card.
@mkalevv
How is your G/B list looking? With the release of Assassins Trophy i really wanna try the Green Black Version
is There any Discord Chanel?
yes
https://discord.gg/MtqhYh
enjoy!
Thanks for the shoutout.
I have since included 1 Tomb of Urami and believe it to work quite well, especially with Rituals.
My current build has now increased to 2 Totems, and 3 Bontu’s.
I have recently added two inquisitions which run along side 4 thoughtseizes, and 1 lilly last hope mainboard.
My local matches are a bit more successful with this build. I have a two star event this weekend. We will see how it does.
3-1 at weeklies last night -- likely 4-0 if I stopped keeping 1-land hands on the draw.
2 Cursed Scroll
1 Ratchet Bomb
1 Crucible of Worlds
1 Ensnaring Bridge
4 Liliana of the Veil
1 Liliana, the Last Hope
1 Karn, Scion of Urza
1 Fatal Push
3 Innocent Blood
4 Hymn to Tourach
4 Thoughtseize
2 Inquisition of Kozilek
4 Smallpox
4 Sinkhole
1 Beseech the Queen
8 Swamp
4 Mishra's Factory
4 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
4 Wasteland
1 The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale
1 Cabal Pit
1 Maze of Ith
1 Polluted Delta
1 Bloodstained Mire
1 Verdant Catacombs
Sideboard:
1 Ensnaring Bridge
1 Pithing Needle
1 Ratchet Bomb
4 Dark Confidant
2 Chains of Mephistopheles
2 Bitterblossom
4 Surgical Extraction
Beat Elves 2-0, Grixis Delver 2-1, Mono-B Reanimator 2-0; lost to UWR Stoneblade 1-2.
Been really enjoying this list online and have had decent success. Debated a long time on turning it into G/B Loam Pox for Trophy -- ultimately I think I like straight mono-black best and don't think I would change anything.
No rituals because the format is slower and I want to grind out wins via CA and resource denial. 6 planeswalkers for that same reason, also helps end the game when things grind to a halt. A few fetches to fuel fatal push and help thin when Crucible is out.
I can't ever see cutting Confidant from the sideboard since he's so good both vs long grindy games and vs combo since our topdecks can be really bad. I prefer Surgical over Leyline both for Confidant reasons and because you can lean on discard to buy time until you draw Surgical but not the other way around. I also bring in a few surgicals vs things like delver to cut them off of a dual land after I wasteland them. Was a fun strategy when RUG delver was everywhere.
The one match I lost was after about 10 turns of drawing nothing and then losing to a topdecked JTMS. I think Plaguecrafter is really cool and is a versatile way to handle opposing planeswalkers while not being dead vs other matchups -- maybe like 1-2 in the sideboard?
Tangentially when's the last time a pure mono-b pox list played Dark Depths + Hexmage mainboard?
Good job! If you could write up your games too that would be nice.
Sure, I don't take notes at weekly but will do my best to recollect:
Elves: g1 I was on the play and t1 inquisition taking GSZ. He has 1 forest and casts birchlore ranger I think. I smallpox him and he doesn't draw another land soon enough. G2 he leads quirion ranger and I thoughtseize take a 1 drop leaving him with sylvan library. He plays it and then I play Chains of Meph. I get a Cursed Scroll out and kill everything he plays.
In: bridge, bomb, 2x chains -- out: karn, beseech, 2x sinkhole
UWR Stoneblade: I keep a 1 lander on the draw and never find a 2nd black source so scoop it up. G2 I hymn him a few times and smallpox away a TNN before winning with 3 factories. G3 I lead discard into sinkhole island wasteland tundra leaving him with only plains. I play a chains next turn. He rebuilds his lands as I draw land and plays some stuff like SFM etc that I answer with innocent blood and discard. I draw more useless stuff and he eventually plays a jace and fateseals me to death.
in: needle, bomb, 2x chains -- out: tabernacle, karn, beseech, crucible (pretty sure this sb strat is wrong)
Mono-B Reanimator: g1 he's kind of slow out the gates so I use discard to buy a ton of time and I think I kill him with factory. g2 he powers our a t1 packrat + create a rat and I smallpox one away. He doesn't have cards in hand or land (I think he mulliganed to) so just hits me for 1 for a while. I play a bridge. He reanimates a Grave Titan but can't attack. Tabernacle keeps his lands locked down. I play and eventually Ult a lily further constricting his mana. Eventually I find a wincon and he concedes.
in: bridge, needle, 4 confidant, 2 chains, 4 surgical -- out: crucible, 2 scroll, bomb, push, cabal pit, karn, lili last hope, 4 sinkhole
Grixis Delver: I keep a 1 lander on the draw and again die before finding any relevant action. g2 I mull, inquisition him and take ponder, he thoughtseizes and takes innocent blood and I'm left with only land. We exchange a few resources and then he cast a bitterblossom when I only had two urborgs in hand and a 3rd in play. I rip a lili last hope off the top, but he pithing needles it. I'm hitting him with mishra's factory so his life is getting kind of low. I use fatal push and cabal pit to kill faeries and then draw ratchet bomb to clear the way for lethal. g3 was very one sided and I use discard/wasteland/pox to destroy his board while assembling lotv/karn/lili last hope and bridge. He scoops it up.
in: bridge, bomb, 2 chains -- out: 4 sinkhole
Awesome! I notice you boarded out karn and sinkhole a lot. Is this a sign they are less viable nowadays?
As long as the best decks are Miracles and Grixis Control I'll be keeping them in. Just so happened I faced faster decks this week.
I do think Sinkhole is borderline and I cut it completely in Grixis Delver days (I guess those were more DRS days). I play it primarily for nostalgia reasons it just so happens to not be completely terrible in the current meta.
Karn is of a similar story. If the meta shifts away from control he's a flex spot that can easily be changed.
Thanks for the writeup.
Karn is great 85% (an arbitrary and made up %) of the time so I will keep jamming him. Against anything too fast he comes out.
I've never tried Bob in Pox. Probably because I don't own him anymore. I do remember Reid Duke jamming them in a few videos a little while ago. Good for Combo and Control you say? I may have to start scooping some up.
The Sinkhole + Surgical plan against RUG Delver and other greedy manabases was at one point the most fun I was having at my weeklies.
Plaguecrafter seems like he would see a lot of Jace's bff Snapcaster Mage. In my mind I compare it to Hero's Downfall or To the Slaughter- both of which see little to very little play.
I finally got to go to my weekly this week.
0-2 Burn
2-0 NO Rug
2-0 UB Shadow
2-1 Ad Nauseam
Burn
I didn’t stand a chance. I ripped the hand and killed some creatures but lost to inevitability. Game 2 I hit Nether Void at 5 life while my opponent had 5 lands. Died.
Natural Order Rug
Noble H, Innocent Blood. Goyf, Innocent Blood. Next Goyf gets Mazed for a while and then I stick a Smallpox. Fast forward Truename names Nathan and hits once or twice. Eventual Liliana downticks and eats a Bolt. Stuck a Scroll early and missed a ridiculous amount of activations with a 50% chance.
Totem and Bitterblossom finish him off.
Next game I tried to jam a t1 Lily but the Ritual gets Dazed. He gets off to a rough start and I am able to kill a slow stream of creatures. He counters the previously mentioned Lily but I topdeck another and she sticks. He flashes in a Clique to surprise block a Totem but Maze of Ith helps out my team. I kill it and he can’t beat it from where he is and scoops to a Totem and a Hellbent Scroll.
UB Shadow
Starts the Suicide quickly and sticks a Delver. Counters my first killspell, flips/swings, succumbs to the next killspell. Eventually gets low enough to stick 2 Death Shadows that I quickly kill the next turn. Totem and Scroll wrap it up.
Game 2 he keeps a 1 lander with a lot of cantrips but no threats. Turn 2 Chains and he turn 3’s a Ratchet Bomb. I played a Totem for pressure and as a distraction but he kept the Bomb at 2. To protect the Chains I dropped a Liliana which made him go to 3 counters. Next turn I swing and he pops. When I pass the only thing he can do (in the face of Chains) is Thoughtseize which gets the copy of Totem I was holding onto. He topdecks threats while I topdeck answers before finding a Scroll and a Factory.
Ad Nauseam
I had an opener sculpted to wreck any creature deck but alas that is not what he is on. Thoughseize snags a redundant Brainstorm after he Brainstorms in response. A few useless draws later I cut him off when the storm count rapidly climbs.
Game 2 turn 2 & 3 Hymn, turn 4 Nether Void, scoop.
Game 3 turn 0 Leyline before my turn 1 IOK gets Brainstormed so I took a Ritual instead of the hidden LED and Infernal Tutor. Turn 2 Ritual into Nether Void seals the deal.
3-1
The List
3x Dark Ritual
1x Fatal Push
4x Innocent Blood
2x Inquisition of Kozilek
2x Thoughtseize
4x Hymn to Tourach
4x Smallpox
1x Toxic Deluge
4x Liliana of the Veil
2x Karn, Scion of Urza
1x Bitterblossom
1x Chains of Mephistopheles
1x Nether Void
2x Cursed Scroll
1x Ensnaring Bridge
2x Phyrexian Totem
1x Maze of Ith
4x Mishra's Factory
20x Swamp
SB
2x Pithing Needle
1x Extirpate
1x Surgical Extraction
2x Diabolic Edict
1x Bontu's Last Reckoning
2x Liliana, the Last Hope
1x The Abyss
4x Leyline of the Void
1x Night of Souls' Betrayal
I still am not crazy about Dark Ritual but it won me my final game so I guess I'm holding them a while longer. I still don't miss Wasteland & Urborg muddling up the manabase. People still play around Wasteland even when they don't see it game 1.
I would like to fit 2 copies of Ratchet Bomb in the 15, but space is tight.
Good job, guys!
Seems you don't have much problem with counters. I have, but I wonder if I should have cabal therapy in the main or sideboard.
Sorry to flood the thread with another report but...
Saturday I played an EW Trial outside of Richmond, VA. Same list above but -1 Diabolic Edict +1 Ratchet Bomb.
Tes
Game 1 I lost the die roll and watched a Ponder. IOK snags an LED. Next turn’s Thoughtseize snagged another. Turn 4 I drop a Karn, upticked and was given a land before he cast Empty the Warrens making 6 dudes. Downtick for a Cursed Scroll and snagged a Goblin but I (not Karn luckily) got hit by 5 twice until I top decked Toxic Deluge. I paid 1 of my remaining 5 life to kill all the Goblins. Karn started farting out Karnstructs until lethal happened.
-2 Karns, 2 Smallpox, 2 Innocent Blood, Ensnaring Bridge, ???
4 Leylines, Surgical, Extirpate, Ratchet Bomb, Night of Souls’ Betrayal.
Game 2 Double Leyline with another IOK snagging another LED. I was at 19 life when my opponent made 10 Goblins. Killed one, took 9, Deluged the rest. Liliana, Cursed Scroll and Phyrexian Totem wrapped it up quick.
2-0
(1-0)
4c Loam
Game 1 I killed a steady stream of creatures but Garruk Relentless is a very difficult engine to keep up with.
-3 Dark Ritual, 4 Smallpox, Nether Void
+4 Leyline, Surgical, Extirpate, The Abyss, Diabolic Edict
Game 2 Double Leyline (what?) although it didn’t matter as I was outgrinded by a stream of removal and threats.
0-2
(1-1)
Turbo Depths
Game 1 he did the Depths combo thing you know how it went.
-2 Karns, Chains, Toxic Deluge, Fatal Push
+2 Pithing Needles, Surgical, Extirpate, Diabolic Edict
Game 2 I swarmed the board with Scroll, Liliana and Ensnaring Bridge. He Decayed the Liliana and the next turn came in with Duress. I Extirpated the Abrupt Decay in response and he scooped.
Game 3 My opponent went Urborg into Thoughtseize to start things off by taking a Bridge. Turn 2 he played Thespian Stage and the next turn he played Dark Depths. Eot of my following turn he cracked the combo. Still endstep I Dark Ritualed, Diabolic Edicted Marit and Surgicaled the Depths into concession.
The last game he brought in Rite of Consumption to go over Ensnaring Bridge but it didn’t happen.
2-1
(2-1)
Goblins
I kill 2 or 3 Goblins before sticking a Bridge and then run out of removal. He got wide enough for lethal and eventually found the Matron to find the Cratermaker to blow up the Bridge.
Game 2 had Aether Vials on 2-4. The first Ringleader flipped 2 Ringleaders and 2 Piledrivers. Eventually the same Cratermaker destroyed the same Bridge. Big swing for the win.
The two people who beat me didn’t lose to anybody else so my breakers were pretty sweet. I was 2-2 & 8th (outta 18?) before 5th round.
0-2
(2-2)
BR Reanimator
Game 1 turn 2 Griselbrand whatever who cares get that shit outta here.
Game 2 turn 0 Leyline turn 3 Phyrexian Totem gets Wore and Tore real quick. I stuck a Liliana and didn’t move her for 6-7 turns. It felt strange but she was waiting for an Iona that didn’t appear. I did however kill a Cryptbreaker over and over without it ever activating in an attempt to keep Liliana’s -2 live. My opponent got a Grizzy in play but by then Mishra’s Factory got in enough to prevent activation. Killed it and killed them.
-4 Hymns, 2 Karns, Fatal Push
+4 Leyline, Surgical, Extirpate, The Abyss
Game 3 turn 0 Leyline was Torn almost as fast. The hate hate is real. The Mishra beats started on turn 2 and the 2nd landed turn 3. I killed an unusually larger amount of Cryptbreakers and an occasional spicy boi to clear the way for Factories under an Ensnaring Bridge.
2-1
(3-2)
Top 8.
Crap. I am only in Richmond for the afternoon because I was going to a reunion show for a metal band down in Virginia Beach 100 miles away. Luckily they posted the time slots online and we knew what time we had to arrive by. It was harder to remember the Top 8 as detailed as I ended one match and immediately started the next.
UB Reanimator
Game 1 turn 2 Bitterblossom put in work while various edicts took care of any pressure. At one point I had to kill/force the Hapless Researcher to protect a Liliana and used an Innocent Blood instead of the Fatal Push but it didn’t come back to bite me the turn I was vulnerable. Push was pitched to the Princess eventually. Jin-Gitaxias drew my opponent 14 cards but I never had to discard to 0. Faeries kept constant pressure with a decent hand & Liliana to back them up.
-4 Hymns, 2 Karns, Fatal Push, Nether Void, Toxic Deluge,
+4 Leylines, Surgical, Extirpate, The Abyss, Diabolic Edict, Bontu’s
Game 2 Leyline + Mishra’s Factory followed by a Ensnaring Bridge. Things happened and were destroyed. Factory beats FTW.
2-0
Miracles
Game 1 my opponent sat down and told me he hadn’t lost a match yet. I opened with a Thoughtseize to strip Counterbalance from a hand of Bstorm, Ponder, Force, 2 lands and a Fetch. After that I am pretty sure Hymn got Forced before I stuck a Bitterblossom & a Cursed Scroll. Jaceface comes down & a bunch of Faeries got tucked with Terminus. Phyrexian Totem and a Factory showed up but so did Teferi and Snapcaster. Scroll picked off the Snapcaster and Bitterblossom got tucked by Teferi (and Fatesealed by Jace) with a few Faeries floating around. Killed Teferi before Jace hit 12. Holy hell. Untap and swing. Drop a Karn. Make Karnstructs. Swing some more. One gets Sworded. Jace dies. Karn gets Judged by the Council. Totem finished the game.
-3 Dark Rituals, Nether Void
+2 Pithing Needles, Surgical, Extirpate
Game 2 early Pithing Needle on Jace. Thoughtseize made it safe for Chains. My opponent dropped a Counterbalance that never actually countered anything. A few turns later Chains was Judged. I played another Needle but on Teferi. I played something else, but I can’t remember and it doesn’t matter because Snapcaster flashed in and Council’s Judgment flashbacked. I followed it up with Phyrexian Totem that ran over Snappy and then my opponent.
2-0
4c Loam
Game 1 turn 1 Liliana of the Veil feels good but doesn’t last long. Sylvan Library recovers the damage done by Liliana at the cost of 12 life. I somehow fight long enough for Factories to get in.
-3 Rituals, 4 Smallpox, Nether Void
+4 Leylines, Surgical, Extirpate, The Abyss, Diabolic Edict
Game 2 mulliganed and kept the decent 6 for the Leyline and oh crap I left Chains in. I Thoughtseized something, took a little damage, answered some creatures, and then the Liliana Wars happened. I played a Liliana he played a Liliana and killed my Liliana. I played another Liliana and he answered another Liliana. He stuck a threat and I stuck a Bridge. His Liliana Ult’d and gave me the choice between 7 Swamps and 3 permanents that were not advancing my board. Kept the Swamps and laid down The Abyss. He sacked one of his two threats and dropped a Garruk Relentless to answer my out. I lost somewhere after that.
-Chains, ??
+2 Liliana the Last Hope
Game 3 had a solid 7 but no hate. Thoughtseized a Bob & Innocent Blooded a Thalia before laying down a Last Hope to uptick. I eventually landed a Liliana of the Veil and at one point got them both to 6. He found the Grove + Punishing Fire combo and focused primarily on Last Hope but my opponent did not have a lot of red mana to keep them both under control. I found a Leyline and he responded with Pfire, got it back & Pfired again to take out Last Hope. I found 2 Factories and a Cursed Scroll to hold down any small creatures he played and apply pressure. Golgari Charm took out Leyline of the Void and I had to slow down the Factory beats in order to survive a Pfire. Some Wastelands came around to take out the Factories anyway. My Cursed Scroll was Vindicated but I drew into another. Liliana controlled the board while Cursed Scroll ended the game.
2-1
I won a Bye to Eternal Weekend Pittsburgh AND made it down to VB on time. Saturday was awesome.
:laugh:
"I played a Liliana he played a Liliana and killed my Liliana. played a Liliana he played a Liliana and killed my Liliana.
How did this happen?
Also, TES is not very dependent on its graveyard, I believe. I would guess that Smallpox is more useful than Leyline. Also, Leyline shuts off your Surgical and Extirpate.
Pretty sweet that you won, thanks for the report!
I believe my first Liliana was Decay'd and the next was taken out via combat.
I have way more experience against Ant than Tes but I saw a Past in Flames the first game and panicked. And yeah that game drew into a dead Surgical.
Alright Poxers,
How do we beat Grixis Control?
Strix into K Command into Jace into Snappy-Flashback-K Command get back a Snappy grind forever while Brainstorming the whole time is incredibly difficult to keep up with.
They have a greedy mana base with a few basics, but I no longer play Sinkhole/Wasteland.
Post board I have been bringing in Surgical/Extirpate and 2 Needles. It seems their graveyard is the crippling resource, but dedicated hate like Leyline feels bad. Is it? Cuts off Snappy and Gurmangler, but in no way stops the deck. Jace and Lil' Hope Ultimates still win games on their own.
Is it time to try To the Slaughter? Delirium looks pretty easy to turn on.
Well, the only reason I'm playing Pox right now is because grixis / miracle control are popular and pox is pretty good vs them.
We don't care at all about Strix, Kcommand is only mildly annoying but rarely 2-for-1s us, all of their other removal is basically useless vs us, so that means we only have to worry about their planeswalkers.
I personally play 4 of both Sinkhole and Wasteland because of how popular control decks are lately. If your meta demands otherwise then maybe just do a split, but I think 4 wastelands is a must in any pox deck.
But ultimately Grixis is a deck where cards like Nether Void and Chains of Meph shine. I think Nether Void is too narrow so don't run it, but I never leave home without at least 2 Chains in my sideboard.
KCommand is amazing at protecting Jace from us. It smashes Factories, Scrolls, Totems & Needles. It shocks Walkers, Factories, Totems, Tokens & us. Instant speed Discard is almost always live and when it isn't getting back Snappy or Strix is even more card advantage to keep up with.
In my experience the other removal is Fatal Push and Lightning Bolt. Push can take down a Factory and Bolt is never not relevant.
I have been jamming 20 Swamps, 4 Mishra's and a Maze for a while now and I love it. This has led to taking less mulligans and reliably casting BB cards. I haven't missed WL much beyond being annihilated by 12post. Sinkhole was gone before that and is missed even less.
I currently maindeck Nether Void and Chains, but am yet to draw Nether Void in any recent matchups. My lack of LD (beyond Smallpox) makes Nether Void a little worse but Snap+Ponder costing 9 sounds pretty good.
My list is a page or two back. With 6 planeswalkers I've never had a problem vs Grixis. They give us infinite time to set up our gameplan and their only stack interaction is a 1-for-2. It's just one of those matches where there's no reason to walk into a 2-for-1. Walking a factory into a bolt/push should literally never happen outside of desperation mode.
Snapcaster Kcomm is 5 mana. I think you're missing sinkhole / wasteland more than you realize. Also I can't fathom a list playing maindeck nethervoid that's not playing wasteland. That sounds very wrong.
I tend to die to Gurmag Angler with counter back up. Not hard for control with cantrips to arrange. Leyline of the void is probably necessary for my build. I have needles in main, and chalice in sb.
Otoh Leyline and Engineered Plague would handle all its creatures. Or to put it another way;should focus be to handle the card draw, or the creatures?
My list is also on the last page and we have a lot of similarities, including 6 Walkers. My recent games against Grixis Control have all reliably dropped Jace turn 4. The only way I have to answer it outside of Thoughtseize/Hymn is my previously listed KCommandable threats. Thinking about it swapping from a 2/2 TS/IoK split to just a set of Thoughtseize feels like a good place to start. Perhaps going back to 5 cmc 1 discard spells is worth considering.
The MD Nether is for a better position against the combo I run into frequently. The aforementioned nonbo warrants relegating it to the sideboard but I'm not sure I will. I feel land destruction to be more of a stall tactic than anything else.
I am on the other hand a fan of Beseech the Queen. Being able to dig for a sideboard piece looks fun. My lack of Tabernacle keep me from trying it out but I probably will after Eternal Weekend.
We've all lost that way to Gurmangler.
How many Needles main?
Kill the creatures!
Hey Friends. I've back-burnered Pox for the moment, I was frustrated by the variance of it. This weekend is a charity tournament that I have top 8'd with Pox in the past, and I would like to jam it this weekend despite it not feeling great. I'm trying to put together a B/G list with Living Wish and Loam. Has anyone been working on this type of list? I have something thrown together that I will be trying out tonight at the local, but I'm open to ideas and lists that other folks have tried out. Thanks!
Entomb is getting another reprint in Ultimate Masters, so it will get very affordable. I'm thinking of nabbing a set and trying to see what it can do for Pox. I have the Bayou to make Loam Pox work (which is increcible with Entomb) but even a toolbox of Bloodghast, Nether Spirit, and Raven's Crime can be very good. I've always thought the Jund Loam deck that Kennen Haas plays would be fun as well, but it's spastic as hell. The juicy targets of Punishing Fire, Life from the Loam, and Raven's Crime just seems so fun.
TL;DR - Entomb is a potential card for any version of Pox, and it should be around $7-8 once the dust settles. :smile:
Yeah, that is def on my radar. I have Entombs. My current pile has Chalices to slam on T1 with Mox Diamonds, so I skipped the 1 CMC stuff, but Entomb to find Loam, land bullets, and graveyard win-cons is definitely an option.
Looking to downgrade my Foil JPN Pox cards if anyone is interested. Have lots of stuff not in my main deck. Message me if you are interest, I don't want to take up this thread with inquiries. (But I want to give this devoted bunch first dibs)
My current list. I have used Entomb as a 1-2 of, it is great for grabbing lots of stuff. Loam, Therapy, Bloodghast, Nether Spirit, Raven's Crime, Lands to Loam back, etc. I also really like Crop Rotation since rotate for Bog ups the graveyard hate.
I feel really strongly that this is a great list, you just need to know when to dredge and when to draw.
Maindeck (60)
3 Bloodghast
1 Nether Spirit
4 Liliana of the Veil
2 Cabal Therapy
1 Crop Rotation
1 Entomb
1 Innocent Blood
3 Inquisition of Kozilek
1 Raven's Crime
3 Abrupt Decay
3 Collective Brutality
2 Hymn to Tourach
3 Life from the Loam
4 Smallpox
2 Pernicious Deed
2 Barren Moor
4 Bayou
1 Bojuka Bog
1 Cabal Pit
1 Forest
3 Mishra's Factory
1 Misty Rainforest
1 Swamp
1 The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale
3 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
4 Verdant Catacombs
4 Wasteland
Sideboard (15)
2 Liliana, the Last Hope
2 Crop Rotation
2 Extirpate
1 Innocent Blood
1 Surgical Extraction
2 Assassin's Trophy
1 Collective Brutality
1 Pithing Needle
1 Crucible of Worlds
1 Pernicious Deed
1 Glacial Chasm
Pretty cool list, but I can't help but suggest a few small changes: -1 Deed, -1 Bloodghast, +1 Maze of Ith, +1 Darkblast (another spicy entomb target). I also can't help but think that Lili Last Hope is probably a maindeck card for Pox decks, it's really good against the grindy blue control decks of the format, Death and Taxes, and Delver decks. Deed has always been a little bit of an enigma for me in Loam Pox; I almost never have mana to play and activate in time to matter. Toxic Deluge and Last Hope are probably better, IMHO. The one place where Deed shines is against Chalice decks.
I like the looks of that list. I may try it out. I've settled on a list for this weekend:
4 Mox Diamond
4 Smallpox
4 Chalice of the Void
4 Hymn to Tourach
4 Living Wish
4 Liliana of the Veil
3 Sinkhole
3 Life from the Loam
2 Abrupt Decay
1 Assassin's Trophy
1 Maelstrom Pulse
1 Sylvan Library
1 Toxic Deluge
4 Wasteland
3 Swamp
3 Verdant Catacombs
3 Bayou
2 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
2 Thespian's Stage
2 Mishra's Factory
1 Ghost Quarter
1 Dark Depths
1 Cabal Pit
1 Barren Moor
1 Forest
4 Leyline of the Void
2 Ensnaring Bridge
2 Sorcerous Spyglass
1 Liliana, The Last Hope
1 Dark Depths
1 Thespian's Stage
1 Vampire Hexmage
1 Maze of Ith
1 The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale
1 Karakas
I 2-1'd with at at my local, beating Miracles, Death's Shadow, and losing to Grixis Reanimator. I tested a bit against Miracles, Grixis, D+T, and Sneak and Show. I'm a big fan of the Combo kill and the Loam engines. Losing Thoughtseize and Collective Brutality is a real cost vs combo decks, especially Sneak and Show, but it feels able to grind with all of the midrange and control decks. Wish me luck, and I'll let you know how it goes. Afterwards I'll probably try some spicy Entomb based version just to give it a shot.
you may know this already ntropy, but there was recently a streamer who 5-0d with a list similar to the one you posted. Can find all his stuff here: https://www.reddit.com/r/MTGLegacy/c...week_deck_was/
Seems like a sick deck, Loam is a sweet card
Have you tried to integrate Scroll Rack in the Loam Pox? I think it could be a nice option to increase the card quality and generate cardadvantage by dredging in grindy matches.
I have not, I played Sensei's Top while it was legal and it was awesome because we have so much control of the top of our deck.
Part of my philosophy has been the Pernicious Deed is amazing, so I don't play cards that I would lose to my own Deed. That is why I don't play Mirri's Guile or Sylvan Library. Same thought would apply to Scroll Rack, but if you are not playing Deed then it could be good.
I've always had trouble playing Deed in Loam Pox, for the exact reason you state. However, Guile/Library are *hands down* more important for the deck than Deed. Toxic Deluge is a much better answer at three mana. Without Top, Library is literally the 2nd best card to splash green for (after Loam.) Decay, Living Wish, and sideboard cards are also added in but Loam/Library make the deck tick.
Absolutely. The second Library was my last cut. Deed kills my Moxes and my Chalices. I agree on the power of Raven's Crime, Scroll Rack, Crop Rotation, Entomb, etc. I'm prioritizing Chalice though, so no 1-drops. I actually really liked my 1-1-1 split of Decay, Pulse, Trophy. I cut the 3rd Sinkhole for a second Decay because I expect to see a lot of Chalice on 2 decks.
I had not seen that 5-0, I'll have to check it out.