Re: [Deck] Deadguy Ale (B/w Confidant)
Lately I've been looking at the equipment package I'm running (Jitte/SoLaS/SoFaI) and while Jitte/SoFaI are incredibly useful in nearly every MU, the SoLaS has been proving itself to be lackluster. Yeah, the static +2/+2 is cool, but that's provided with every sword. The lifegain is irrelevant since we get that from Nighthawk and Jitte (which is preferrable for lifegain anyway since Jitte doesn't require you connect combat damage to the opponent). The creature recursion as well is negligent since with the rise of Rock, Zoo, and Bant (any deck using these colors) our biggest concern is StP/PtE.
Currently I'm contesting either Lightning Greaves or Sword of Feast and Famine. The Greaves are conveinant since they are cheap (2 to cast, 0 to equip) meaning unlike the other swords I most likely won't have to wait 1-2 turns to cast and equip them. Of course the obvious downside to this is that they only give spell protection not creature protection which is an issue when I'm staring down a KotR or 'Goyf (although my list does run 'Goyf/Stalker so he's not as big an issue). Thus we have SoFaF. Albeit it doesn't grant me StP/PtE protection which is annoying however it at least enables even a SFM to answer both creatures. I've chosen SoFaF over SoBaM because my meta lacks in notable blue threats aside from Jace 2.0 in several decks, so the pro-blue is irrelevant and since 1/2 to 2/3 the meta has decks using GY shennanigans, the mill effect can only help them. Thus SoFaF is the preffered choice.
Just thought I'd post my thoughts on the matter to see if I can get opinions from anyone else running the package. I assume I'm posting this in the right thread. My deck/SB is pretty much the Rock however I run Nighthawk over KotR,no Mox, and I opted for the SFM package in my deck. Friggin' green splash, messing up where I'm supposed to post. x.x'
ForlornEgoist
Re: [Deck] Deadguy Ale (B/w Confidant)
Quote:
Originally Posted by
ForlornEgoist
Lately I've been looking at the equipment package I'm running (Jitte/SoLaS/SoFaI) and while Jitte/SoFaI are incredibly useful in nearly every MU, the SoLaS has been proving itself to be lackluster. Yeah, the static +2/+2 is cool, but that's provided with every sword. The lifegain is irrelevant since we get that from Nighthawk and Jitte (which is preferrable for lifegain anyway since Jitte doesn't require you connect combat damage to the opponent). The creature recursion as well is negligent since with the rise of Rock, Zoo, and Bant (any deck using these colors) our biggest concern is StP/PtE.
Currently I'm contesting either
Lightning Greaves or
Sword of Feast and Famine. The Greaves are conveinant since they are cheap (2 to cast, 0 to equip) meaning unlike the other swords I most likely won't have to wait 1-2 turns to cast and equip them. Of course the obvious downside to this is that they only give spell protection not creature protection which is an issue when I'm staring down a KotR or 'Goyf (although my list does run 'Goyf/Stalker so he's not as big an issue). Thus we have SoFaF. Albeit it doesn't grant me StP/PtE protection which is annoying however it at least enables even a SFM to answer both creatures. I've chosen SoFaF over SoBaM because my meta lacks in notable blue threats aside from Jace 2.0 in several decks, so the pro-blue is irrelevant and since 1/2 to 2/3 the meta has decks using GY shennanigans, the mill effect can only help them. Thus SoFaF is the preffered choice.
Just thought I'd post my thoughts on the matter to see if I can get opinions from anyone else running the package. I assume I'm posting this in the right thread. My deck/SB is pretty much the Rock however I run Nighthawk over KotR,no Mox, and I opted for the SFM package in my deck. Friggin' green splash, messing up where I'm supposed to post. x.x'
ForlornEgoist
Yes, I'm underwhelmed by SoLAS unless you are using creatures that are always going into the graveyard: Burrentons and other sac creatures. Also the pro stp is relevant inSoLAS but in reality they only have 4 stp or pte in their deck... SoFAF allows us to connect and then re-equip for chump blocking in the same turn (untap) as well. Can't go wrong there.
Re: [Deck] Deadguy Ale (B/w Confidant)
And now, for the tournament report:
So, I decide an hour before the event to attend. I've finished most of an essay, but decide to take a break by playing magic. I've loaned out 90% of my staples so other people could play, so after a few frantic phone calls and heavy speeding, I arrive at the tournament site and assemble my deck. I decide to go with B/W Aggro that I made up, since I didn't have cards for any other deck. I borrowed some equipment, sleeved up Revokers, and went to town.
B/W Gate
4 Wasteland
4 Scrubland
4 Marsh Flats
2 Verdant Catacombs
4 Swamp
1 Plains
1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
4 Phyrexian Revoker
4 Dark Confidant
3 Abyssal Persecutor
3 Vampire Nighthawk
2 Stoneforge Mystic
1 Umezawa's Jitte
1 Swords of Fire and Ice
3 Thoughtseize
1 Inquisition of Kozilek
4 Hymn to Tourach
2 Cabal Therapy
4 Swords to Plowshares
3 Diabolic Edict
3 Dark Ritual
3 Sensei's Divining Top
Board:
3 Tariff
1 Retribution of the Meek
1 Perish
4 Engineered Plague
3 Duress
2 Tormod's Crypt
1 Extirpate
-----------
I sleeve the deck up, grab a coffee and fruit juice, and ponder over using my Beta duals. I decide not to, and go into Round 1 facing a my worst nightmare: Dredge.
Round 1: Tony with White Stax
Turns out, Tony wasn't playing Dredge and I was happy. Problem was, he was playing White Stax. Fuck my life. I Thoughtseize away a Crucible, and strip a Smokestack and Armageddon with Hymn. He Chalices at one, then gets some Moxen up, then blows me out with 2 Armageddons with Magus on board. Frick.
Loss
Board out: Swords, etc.
Board in: Crypt, Duress, Extirpate
Game 2, I destroy him with discard then kill him with Persecutor.
Game 3, I do the same thing. Thank god.
Score:
2-1 in game, 1-0 in rounds.
Round 2: Niko with U/B Merfolk
I know Nike's on Merfolk, and I Revoker his Vial after the Thoughtseize taking Daze. I try to come back, but I start drawing dead and die to triple Reejerey.
Board in: 4 Engineered Plague
Board out: 2 Hymn, 1 Thoughtseize, 1 Cabal Therapy
I destroy him on the play with discard and multiple equipment on a Nighthawk. I follow it up with an E. Plague for good measure.
Game 3, I do much of the same, except I use more removal and less equipment. Niko's a good Folk player, I'm glad I played him.
Score: 4-2 Games, 2-0 Rounds
Round 3: Matt W/ with Mono U Merfolk
I really didn't want to play Matt, but I had to. This goes much the same way as the previous round, where I remove Lords and use Equipments and Engineered Plagues to push through.
Score: 6-3 games, 3-0 Rounds.
Round 4: Mani playing Caleb Durward's Welder list
We intentionally draw so we can make Top 8. Tournament was 5 rounds before cut to Top 8.
Round 5: Edward playing Elves
We draw again so I can get real coffee, not the swill they have at 7-11.
Top 8: Mani with Welder, Matt W with Merfolk, Niko with U/b Folk, James H (Plague Sliver on here) with Zoo, Enriquo with Thresh, Matt P (me) with B/W Aggro, Edward with Elves, Arnold with R/b Goblins.
Round 1: Matt W with Merfolk
It plays out exactly as before, but I beat him in two games, using Revoker many times. Revoker is so good against Merfolk and, well, everything.
Win
Score: 8-2 games, 4-0-2 in rounds
Round 2: Mani with Welder
Game 1, he turn 2 Grinds me. Whatever.
Board in: 3 Tariff, 3 Duress
Out: Random
I have him on the Emrakul board in, but I never saw it. I make him discard, then Extirpate his Grindstone. I search but he didn't board Emrakul. He starts on the 3 Painter's Servant beatdown, I throw Revokers in the way until I hit real gas: Nighthawks. I eventually get there after being really tired and frustrated.
Game 3, I notice he boards in, so I fake sideboard in more cards, then just remove them. I figure he's on Emrakul. I Waste and discard him into oblivion with Turn 1 Ritual into 2 Thoughtseize and a Top. He doesn't recover, he shakes wile I show him the 2 Diabolic Edict 1 Tariff hand. He cringes.
Round 3: James H (Plague Sliver) with Zoo
The matchup I didn't want to see, since he's my friend, but we're both going to the GP. I lose both games badly, the first to mana screw, and the second to mana flood. Not much to say here.
------
I'm glad I took down second, but it didn't feel like a victory. I'm glad I lose to James H though, since he's the best person to lose to. Oh well, but congrats James!
Props: Revoker, Tim Horton's coffee, Dark Rituals
Slops: Mana floods and mana screws.
-Matt
Re: [Deck] Deadguy Ale (B/w Confidant)
This list has been interesting/good for me:
// Lands -- 22
4 Wasteland
4 Rishadan Port
4 Scrubland
4 Marsh Flats
2 Flooded Strand
1 Swamp
1 Plains
1 Polluted Delta
1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
// Creatures -- 19
4 Mother of Runes
4 Dark Confidant
4 Stoneforge Mystic
4 Tidehollow Sculler
3 Phyrexian Revoker
// Spells -- 19
4 AEther Vial
4 Thoughtseize
4 Vindicate
4 Swords to Plowshares
1 Umezawa's Jitte
1 Sword of Fire and Ice
1 Sword of Feast and Famine
// Sideboard
SB: 4 Enlightened Tutor
SB: 2 Engineered Plague
SB: 1 Leyline of Sanctity
SB: 1 Leyline of the Void
SB: 1 Relic of Progenitus
SB: 1 Bitterblossom
SB: 1 Ratchet Bomb
SB:1 Serenity
SB: 1 Aura of Silence
SB: 1 Story Circle
SB:1 Ethersworn Canonist
Looking pretty close to Black'n'Taxes, but missing some of the usual suspects. I must say, I enjoy a high-land count. Equipment, Vindicate, etc. -- these cost a lot. A lot of hands would be keepable if I had an addition mana source, and Port does fine, for the most part. Classic Port/Waste/Vial hands, I can't complain.
I'm worried about double color costs, honestly. Hymn and Serra Avenger have been iffy (which was not what I had anticipated) in different matchups. I could switch up the ports to alleviate the coloring issue, but then I tend to get mana-flooded. Port at least converts mana into disruption. If I did go for a double color creature, it would probably be Nighthawk, as lifegain is often very relevant.
Vial is amazing in the deck. All the creatures are especially good with Vial. End-step vialing to avoid many types of removal (or when they are tapped out) to benefit from MoM or Confidant for at least a turn. Instant speed Revoker and Sculler are very nice. And, of course, Vial->SFM->Activate SFM is a nice uncounterable way to make big dudes tailored with protections to beat your opponent. Being able to playout your discard, removal, mana-disruption, or equipping dudes while still pumping more into play is very nice.
4x SFM forever. It converts your weenies into fatties, tutoring up the exact equipment you want. I'm shocked by anyone running less than 4. Speaking of the equipment package, I like the setup. 4-pro colors available, etc.
The sideboard might look weird. Try it out though. I prefer at least 2 plagues, as it is often the 2nd plague which is what wins you the game. The leylines might look funny, but getting to 4 mana is common enough that these are playable even when you don't open with them. E-tutor for BB is pretty sweet, especially when you are looking for turn 2 BB, but not have to pack too many BB's in your 75. Serenity and Aura of Silence are pretty amazing in several matchups, not just for decks like Affinity, but MUD/Stax variants, Enchantress, and even for combo (AoS being pretty amazing here). Story circle is a nod several decks that just auto-lose to it (a surprising number of decks can't handle it).
peace,
4eak
Re: [Deck] Deadguy Ale (B/w Confidant)
Quote:
Originally Posted by
bokwinkle
I fundementally disagree with your assessment of "most people". If "most people" have such a handle on card evaluation and Magic theory and were able to so quickly and easilly discern card value in any given deck we wouldn't need forums and there would only be one version of every deck, and quite possibly only one deck ("the best deck"), because those same people would be able to figure out what the "best deck" is - which is clearly not the case.
And you're right, it's not 1995 anymore, there are a lot more cards, a lot more stragies, and a lot more playstyles and factors that play into what card is "the right card". Bad cards can be good cards - hell people were saying stoneforge mystic was bad too...even 'Goyf was a $5 rare (or less) when he came out - how do you explain that with all of the Magic theory super beings wandering around? lol
My contention is that Mom is too reactive and needs a replacement, and the deck needs a better finisher. I'm actively looking for those cards...although I can't help but just rule a few out (for a multitude of reasons). Through my handle on magic theory I've deduced that the deck has issues that can be corrected, and I'm using card evaluation and *gasp* playtesting *gasp* to find these cards - does that make you feel better?
Does anyone else find this dude to be a F--king joke.....
Every strategy has its ups downs and has a counter strategy so there is no (best deck)or best version just lists tuned for one thing or another...Also the meta decides whats good at the time....
Bad cards are just bad cards cause they are well weak and have very few ways to be relevant or useful...I doubt vizzerdrix will ever dominate a format...Also price has no bearing on the quality of a card, prices get high for sheer supply and demand when a card gets used across the board in every format prices are gonna be up....There are cards that are good in legacy that are shit in standard....Goyf was only 5$ till he got action in standard,extended and legacy...In standard it takes longer for him to get to decent size because well not as much shit goes on in as few turns so the low price and not so rampant use was no reflection on peoples magic intellect...Anyone who uses this dude once in a faster more diverse format can see hes beast....
I think its obvious that there are more people ruuning around with knowledge of turns ,phases,priority,and the stack than ever before...I think this is a fact and is undebateable...One person thats definately not a magic super being is this F--king idiot and frankly Im sick of idiots like this dude thinking they are the end all of magic wisdom....Just play your shitty lists at your shitty local tourneys and get your ass kicked and quit giving everyone else shitty advice and playing down theyre choices...
Hell the most resfreshing and original idea Ive heard on here is cavalier by saftey....Hes pro swords,path and tombstalker and he flys and pumps himself without equipment....
I know Im ranting on and on about somthing that explains itself everytime this clown posts but I had to get this out there....lol
Re: [Deck] Deadguy Ale (B/w Confidant)
Quote:
Originally Posted by
sdematt
It plays out exactly as before, but I beat him in two games, using Revoker many times. Revoker is so good against Merfolk and, well, everything.
Yeah, I love revoker, it's such an awesome card, especially with equipment. I play a vial Wb aggro list with mother of runes, scullers, Serra avengers, stoneforge and Revokers. I don't see revoker very much outside ot ancient tomb decks though. I think it's really underplayed right now.
Btw on your list, no Gatekeepers? I've always found that card to be awesome. And just 3 Dark Rituals? Looking forward to your thoughts. Cheers and Congratulations!
@ 4eak, I play a similar list but with just 2 scullers and with 4 avengers, 2 Grunts. I also play just 4 wastes. Most of the time my mana is spent equipping so Ports don't gel well. Btw, Avenger + Equipment= Godly. It's the evasion, vigilance and synergy with vial that makes her insane. Also, I have 4 extended art ones and I'm itching to play them so I might be bias.
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_X...serra%204s.JPG
Envy me :)
Re: [Deck] Deadguy Ale (B/w Confidant)
Quote:
Originally Posted by
ivanpei
Yeah, I love revoker, it's such an awesome card, especially with equipment. I play a vial Wb aggro list with mother of runes, scullers, Serra avengers, stoneforge and Revokers. I don't see revoker very much outside ot ancient tomb decks though. I think it's really underplayed right now.
Btw on your list, no Gatekeepers? I've always found that card to be awesome. And just 3 Dark Rituals? Looking forward to your thoughts. Cheers and Congratulations!
Revoker is pretty nice a 2/1 that can swing a stick in an equip deck and also turn shit off.....Definately nothing wrong with that....
Re: [Deck] Deadguy Ale (B/w Confidant)
Nice report sdematt. Looks like you did a number on Merfolk there!
Re: [Deck] Deadguy Ale (B/w Confidant)
I second that sdematt....Nice breakdown....
Re: [Deck] Deadguy Ale (B/w Confidant)
Great report sdematt.
I just have a few questions:
1. How was Phyrexian Revoker working for you? what do you usually name except for the obvious (Aether Vials).
2. Is the equipment package you are currently using better than the usual (SoFI, SoLaS and Jitte)?
Thanks
Re: [Deck] Deadguy Ale (B/w Confidant)
I don't want to jump on sdematt's answer but for question no 1 I can give my thoughts on it. Revoker is possibly the most annoying card I have played against and played with. Some notable screws with revoker:
Vial
Kotr
Noble heirarch
Jace tms
Elspeth
Led
Lotus petal
Grindstone
Engineered explosives
Pernicious deed
Gempalm incinerator
Siege gang
Corralhelm commander
Jitte
Cranial plating
Grim lavamancer
Qasali pridemage
Sensei's top
The list goes on a long long way. I have yet to meet a mu where I did not want revoker. What makes it better than targeted discard is that it is a reactive answer. Your opponent has to INVEST mana into casting something, only to be foiled by a 2 mana revoker that carries a scary pointy stick. Revoker also deals with multiples which is another very important point. Ever screwed someone by catching 2 vials/lavamancer with needle? Same thing.
Re: [Deck] Deadguy Ale (B/w Confidant)
I'll post more replies after school, but let's put it this way: with discard and Revokers main, the Grindstone matchup gets pretty freakin' easy.
-Matt
Re: [Deck] Deadguy Ale (B/w Confidant)
Quote:
Originally Posted by
warfordium
two of my creatures back in the day were
Order of the Ebon Hand and
Wildfire Emissary for their protection from Swords to Plowshares (aka white) and because the latter was out of bolt range or sometimes drew two.
I was just filling in Bokwinkles statment...he said:
Quote:
...generally I'd just rather play the 2/1 pump knight for BB with pro white - it's the same guy for one less mana and pro black is generally irrellevant in the current meta.
Order of the Ebon Hand is in fact a solid choice, but I feel that Stillmoon Cavalier is still superior. For one more mana you get pro:black, too...meaning it can block Tombstalker and Vampire Nighthawk all day long and dodge any black targeted removal (Smother, Terminate) If you are inclined to work with Dark Ritz maindeck, it becomes a really solid turn 1 play.
Re: [Deck] Deadguy Ale (B/w Confidant)
Quote:
Originally Posted by
sdematt
I'll post more replies after school, but let's put it this way: with discard and Revokers main, the Grindstone matchup gets pretty freakin' easy.
-Matt
Sell me on Dark Ritual. I really like Persecutor, but I just feel like Vial provides a better, more reliable method of acceleration. Yes, that does restrict your creature choices, but I feel like it's better than playing Ritual.
Re: [Deck] Deadguy Ale (B/w Confidant)
Long time lurker here. I like where this decks discussion is going, so I thought I'd stop lurking for once and add my decklist. I'm currently testing the vial build of the deck, though I've played the more traditional version(like matt's list) in the past.
Creatures: 21
4 Dark Confidant
4 Tidehollow Sculler
4 Serra Avenger
4 Mother of Runes
3 Stoneforge Mystic
2 Phyrexian Revoker
Spells: 19
4 Aether Vial
4 Swords to Plowshares
4 Thoughtseize
4 Vindicate
1 Jitte
1 SoFI
1 SoLaS
Lands: 20
4 Wasteland
4 Marsh Flats
2 Verdant Catacombs
4 Scrubland
3 Plains
3 Swamp
I'm also thinking of the slight tweak of +1 revoker, -1 Vindicate to try out more revoker action as there always seems to be something worth stopping with revoker.
I really like your list Matt. I have one question though, why run 3 Edicts main? Were you expecting a lot of sneaky Emrakuls? Otherwise, I don't see why 3 Vindicates wouldn't be better in their place.
Re: [Deck] Deadguy Ale (B/w Confidant)
@vnayin: I like 4 revokers, 3 moms and 3 vial. Having only 3 vials means you don't become reliant on them. being able to side yours out vs merfolk and then name vial with your revoker is really nice. This isn't D&T where we're doing crazy tricks with vial. It should be a boost, not a crutch!
The only issue with your build I see is the 2cc. EE, deed, set at 2 is rough. Revoker can mitigate that but having something like nighthawk means the junk player can't just wipe everything and leave his kotrs intact. also nighthawk is spell snare resistant.
Re: [Deck] Deadguy Ale (B/w Confidant)
Quote:
Originally Posted by
deezy
Does anyone else find this dude to be a F--king joke.....
...I think its obvious that there are more people ruuning around with knowledge of turns ,phases,priority,and the stack than ever before...I think this is a fact and is undebateable...One person thats definately not a magic super being is this F--king idiot and frankly Im sick of idiots like this dude thinking they are the end all of magic wisdom....Just play your shitty lists at your shitty local tourneys and get your ass kicked and quit giving everyone else shitty advice and playing down theyre choices...
You're right, that guy is an idiot - I can't believe they let him post here. :rolleyes:
IMHO, as more people gain intelligence regarding the game and as new cards are printed there will be more input - even some things that are off the wall, all I suggest is that people test those ideas. If innovating and playtesting are shitty ideas...well, call me guilty.
___________
Matt - glad you had a chance to test the revokers. They seemed really good in goldfishing, but I haven't had a chance to really playtest them yet - good to hear favorable results. In my Meta, naming Lion's Eye Diamond is a favorite choice...so I'm looking forward to that. Also, it seems like you're luck against fish has changed...which makes me smile. Do you think it was the revokers or the additional targeting discard that was getting you there?
I was also interested to see how your list was going to evolve to include everything that was discussed earlier. I like the idea of trimming the mystic package for Persecutor (or a similarly large finisher). I think it's definately the right place to trim for that creature. The more I've been testing, the more I've been unhappy with a 3/3 (6 card) mystic package. It always feels really slow to me, and the equipment choices seem limited (See the Light and Shadow comments above by Forlorn Egotist)...although this may all change with the intro of the Red/White sword, but that remains to be seen.
I was curious what your thoughts were on Hymn now that you've used it in this configuration - where you ever in a situation where you wished you would have had targeting discard or a bear (tidehollow) instead? I have to admit, the more I look at your list, the more I feel like hymn is probably better because of ritual, but I wasn't sure.
Lastly - did you ever feel slow on turn 1 with your lack of 1-drops, or did ritual and Top fill the void sufficiently? How was having 3 tops - too many?
_________
Quote:
Originally Posted by
CorpT
Sell me on Dark Ritual. I really like Persecutor, but I just feel like Vial provides a better, more reliable method of acceleration. Yes, that does restrict your creature choices, but I feel like it's better than playing Ritual.
I'm not going to pretend I can sway you either way...lol...but I will say that Vial doesn't start kicking out guys until turn 3 - assuming you open hand it - so it doesn't really feel like accelleration to me, instead it feels like it enables control in the mid turns as opposed to Ritual that can power out a Nighthawk on Turn 1. Ritual just feels more aggressive to me, whereas Vial appears more like a control enabler.
Asside from tempo considerations, it opens the deck up to other finsiher options as well - such as persecutor...but he's just one option. However, in the end we all end up worring about bob too...so there are a lot of points to be considered. By the time you're done picking "acceleration" I think it could drastically change the face of the deck...it changes finishers, it may require the addition of top, Mono-black cards like Hymn and Sinkhole become preferable to stuff like Sculler and Vindicate, etc.. Ulitmately, I would immagine that the choice would be heavilly dependant on meta. Personally, if I was up against multiple fish (or control) players each night (like matt's tourney report) I'd rather run Vial...but he seems to be stomping them now (especially after board)...so I dunno.
As a matter of preferance I probably will not run Ritual because I love sculler just way too much. Of course I say this and I don't run vial either...so...yeah...
__________
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Mr. Safety
...
Order of the Ebon Hand is in fact a solid choice, but I feel that Stillmoon Cavalier is still superior. For one more mana you get pro:black, too...meaning it can block Tombstalker and Vampire Nighthawk all day long and dodge any black targeted removal (Smother, Terminate) If you are inclined to work with Dark Ritz maindeck, it becomes a really solid turn 1 play.
actually the creature I was thinking of was Stromgald Crusader. But the idea is the same. As for him over stillmoon...well, I just don't see much tombstalker, smother, or terminate in my meta - and the only one playing Nighthawk is me...so again, the pro black just seems irrellevant...and I really think this spot will be owned by Revoker anyway. These days, with all of the cheated in Emmy's and such, I feel like the utility provided by revoker is just more important than a beater. I feel like many decks are fading into oblivion right now as the combo decks become more prevelant. However, if Rock decks keep making a comback I might be eating my words and wishing for the Pro-white guy to avoid vindicates, StP and KotR's. I'm just waiting for the meta to shake out a bit I guess....but in my local meta revoker is a no-brainer.
Re: [Deck] Deadguy Ale (B/w Confidant)
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Mr. Safety
I was just filling in Bokwinkles statment...he said:
Order of the Ebon Hand is in fact a solid choice, but I feel that Stillmoon Cavalier is still superior. For one more mana you get pro:black, too...meaning it can block Tombstalker and Vampire Nighthawk all day long and dodge any black targeted removal (Smother, Terminate) If you are inclined to work with Dark Ritz maindeck, it becomes a really solid turn 1 play.
Also, Stillmoon is a bit easier to cast with any combination of black/white. I like the idea of trying him out since he's already got protection and can fly which is huge in legacy since most creatures don't fly.
I'm running a version that splashes green for Knight of the Reliquary. I find that the creatures in black/white can't really put your opponent on a clock (well except for Tombstalker but I don't have the cajones to run him with Bob). I really like the Knight since she can be really huge and can tutor for lands
4 Dark confidant
4 Stoneforge Mystic
4 Knight of the Reliquary
4 Tidehollow Sculler
2 Jotun Grunt
2 Serra Avenger
3 Swords to Plowshares
4 Aether Vial
4 Vindicate
1 Sword of Fire and Ice
1 Umezawa's Jitte
1 Lightning Greaves
4 Scrubland
2 Savannah
1 Bayou
1 Horizon Canopy
2 plains
2 swamp
1 Karakas
4 Marsh Flats
1 Verdant Catacombs
4 Wasteland
Going to experient with Greaves. I used to run Sword of L+S but I found I never tutored for it. Not running Goyf is probably a surprise but I really wanted creatures that did more than block/attack. Save for Avenger every creature does something else. Jotun Grunt is a house in the format as I'm running into Lands quite a bit, he's also wicked in recurring equipment (put equipment on bottom of library and then tutor for it with Mystic).
I use to run Mirran Crusader in the KOTR spot and found him to be bolted quite often and often just a wall for opposing Goyfs. I also found him to be win more with a sword. Sure, I have lived the dream.....against a black/green deck I had Crusader with Jitte and SOFI on him. Suffice to say I only needed to hit once to elicit a scoop. But really, if you are hitting an opponent with a creature with a sword on it, you are probably already winning the battle. :)
Finding KOTR to be much better than Crusader. She's a beating and a half. Haven't had to use her to get Karakas yet and as a side benefit some opponents board in graveyard hate against me which isn't optimal IMO since I don't really that much on my graveyard.
Any tips to make list better? Kind of sucks that when I build the deck I see less and less Merfolk and Goblins, two matchups I think I would want. Lately, I've been seeing a lot of Lands and Combo (a lot of Epic Storm).
Re: [Deck] Deadguy Ale (B/w Confidant)
@wilkin: Just teeg & maze of ith
Re: [Deck] Deadguy Ale (B/w Confidant)
My friend and I looked over the decklist after the tournament, considering I suffered a crushing Zoo defeat. I was pretty pissed, since I knew it was over before the match began. He said that Ritual was the weakest slot in the deck at the moment, which I had to agree on. I was mainly playing it for the acceleration (obviously), but also for the possibilities of Turn 1 E. Plagues on the play in Game 2 and 3. Most of the time, Merfolk can't deal with it along with targeted removal, and Goblins just dies in a fire.
Revoker has been absolutely stellar because it also beats for 2 and can carry a Jitte. A little odd with those spindly arms, but who cares? Targeted discard plus Revoker is great - sometimes you can't take two Vials, but taking their Daze with a Thoughtseize then Revokering the two Vials they have in hand won me a game. Ritual into Thoughtseize + Revoker is crazy good. I'm not sure why there's so much hate on Ritual, but I guess it has Mox Diamond syndrome: Crazy good some of the time, terrible topdecks a lot of the time. But, I found it was great if you needed to run out, say, disruption and equipment on the same turn, or be able to play and equip a Sword on Turn 3.
I was thinking of making changes, which would basically amount in my having more, larger bodies. I'd cut 3 Rituals, 1 Persecutor, and 1 Diabolic Edict for 4 Jotun Grunt and 1 Land. It'd give me less explosivity, but more board oopmh. Plus, I'm not using the cards in my graveyard anyway, and I'll be blowing their shit up as well.
As to Hymn To Tourach, it was so nuts. I wouldn't play anything else in this slot. I screwed a Folk playing by double Sinkholing him in Game 2, leading to glorious victory for me and embarrassing, crushing defeat for him. With Ritual, it just gets better.
Also, I'm running 3 TS 1 IoK for the life loss.
I feel that if I'm going to see tons of Zoo, I think I'd go with the non-Ritual plan with more dudes, and pack Absolute Law in the board. If not, so far my Revoker list has been undefeated. I'll try the combo matchup more, but vomiting discard and Revoker turn 1 against Combo with Ritual seems great.
-Matt