Played in a small tournament today (17 people) with a "non usual" build for a split in the final. The build I played is:
4
Mox Diamond4
Life from the Loam4
Exploration2
Manabond4
Crop Rotation3
Entomb4
Engineered Explosives1
Academy Ruins3
Bayou1
Bojuka Bog2
Dark Depths1
Forest1
Glacial Chasm1
Karakas3
Maze of Ith1
Misty Rainforest4
Rishadan Port1
Savannah1
The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale3
Thespian's Stage2
Tranquil Thicket3
Tropical Island1
Verdant Catacombs4
Wasteland1
Windswept Heath1
Wooded Foothills
Sideboard3
Dark Confidant1
Dark Depths2
Ethersworn Canonist2
Krosan Grip2
Sphere of Resistance3
Swan Song2
Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
We played 5 turns of swiss and Top8 and we had pretty much all the usual Legacy meta (I will post the link on TCDecks when and if it will be available).
Here you go with a quick run down of the matches:
- 1st Match: Daniele with EsperBlade (featuring TNN)
G1: we both started the game pretty fast with him on Stoneforge Mistyc + Batterskull and me attacking his mana base with a Wasteland and a single Rishadan Port. I managed to hold him a bit with a Maze of Ith but the deck decided to crap on me not dredging any other Port for his 4 basic lands and not showing a tutor nor a piece of the combo...I died with tons of mana killed by a Jace that survived a couple of countered EE. Out go 2 manabond, 3 entomb and a Loam; In 3 Dark Confidant, 2 Thalia and a DD.
G2: The deck decided that I didn't have to win the match and after a mulligan to 6 (without a life from the loam) proceeded to show me 3 consecutive Mox Diamond from the top of the deck....I died horribly. Not a good start of the tournament...
0 - 0 - 1
- 2nd Match: Massimiliano with Death&Taxes (featuring Mangara)
G1: I couldn't believe it, in testing the build seemed extremely consistent and it was crapping on me again. I lost quickly to a ton of equipments with only 2 lands on the board. At this point I was almost tempted to call the day and dismount the deck...I decide to hang on and side out the same set of the previous game siding in 3 Confidant, 2 Krosan Grip (for RiP) and a DD
G2: a 20/20 indestructible beater on turn 2 with my opponent tapped out...good times
G3: I waste a Port, a Cavern and a Karakas and proceed to summon Marit Lage that gets StPed twice with me winning the game at 59 life points
1 - 0 - 1
- 3rd match RUG (don't remember the name of my opponent, sorry :( )
G1: another crappy hand and I get punished by a delver coupled with a wasteland, a stifle, double pierce and double bolt...nobody could beat that :) Same siding as the first match.
G2: quick Marit Lage (3rd or 4th turn) and we go to the third game
G3: I don't remember very well but I think I denied his mana and played Marit lage quickly for the win again. The oppo wanted to stifle the combo but the judge explained that he could only stifle the Stage activation giving him another turn to find a solution.
Feeling better now, the deck his working as expected even if it was supposed to win G1s not G2s and G3s....
2 - 0 - 1
- 4th match Antonio with GRB Nic Fit (without Scapeshift)
G1: when I saw the red mana I feared scapeshift and I tried to control his red mana sources. In the meanwhile he is beating with 2 explorers. When the explorers get the company of a witness, I drop Glacial Chasm that gets copied by Stage the turn after. The board is stalled in this way for a couple of turns and he gets more presence with an huntmaster. I finally draw a Crop Rotation and combo out. Same siding as the match with D&T
G2: he keeps a hand a bit shaky with mana and gets punished by my denial. After a bit I combo again and win.
3 - 0 - 1
- 5th match against Tin Fins. I was paired up and we decided to draw to get into top8
3 - 1 - 1
- Quarterfinals against the Tin Fins I IDed during the swiss.
G1: a very difficult match-up in G1 but I can give him a surprise with crop rotation into Bojuka Bog. I obviously don't see crop (or anything else :) ) in the first 7 and mulligan into a hand with crop, karakas and other stuff but lacking green mana. I keep hoping to draw G (I'm on the play and hoped that the karakas would be enough). Unfortunately he has the nuts and combo out during the first turn with me not being able to do anything. I side in everything except for the 2 krosan grips and side out 2 loams, 2 manabond, 3 entomb, 3 EE, Tabernacle and 2 maze of ith.
G2: I keep a hand with turn one canonist and some denial that slows him down enough to be able to play a second canonist and kill him
G3: I mull to a very bad 5 with swan song and dark confidant but only a bayou...I feel very lost but he doesn't have an exceptional hand and I manage to top deck the denial I need followed by canonist, spere of resistance and a second swan song. I beat him down and counter one of his entomb when he is at 4 then proceed to play EE to get rid of the token and make the remaining 4 damages
I'm very happy that my sideboard worked out, I feel a lot more confident going forward.
- Semifinals against the Esper Blade deck that had beaten me during the swiss
G1: he keeps a hand a bit weak on lands and gets punished out of it. I combo off after a while because the deck refuses to provide the needed support and risked a return from the opponent. In addition to the same siding strategy of the swiss match I sided in the 2 krosan grips and sided out another loam.
G2: I control his Batterskull with double maze of ith until I'm able to combo out and he doesn't have the StP that would save his life.
We split the finals (opponent was on Jund), we were pith tired and decided not to risk :)
The deck is bonkers, it provides a very strong sideboard strategy against combo and it seems to play well against the meta. There were two Elfs decks in the room but I haven't met them, they would have probably been a difficult matchup.