Originally Posted by
justfortherecord
Curious on what peoples' thoughts on Smokestack is in this deck? Even if you just use Exploration/Manabond to replace lands you just sacced, Smokestack would eat up the opponent's board in a hurry.. particularly if you are porting/Ith'ing away what's left while you assemble the combo. You remain basically constant in terms of permanent count the whole time. I guess it really comes down to if you want to just go for the combo or go for the lock.
I was playing against a mono blue deck and Ghost Quarter wasn't doing much.. he kept hunting for basics. I had 2 powered ports out, Tabernacle, Ith and he was still getting through.. it wasn't until I was down to 2 and Glacial Chasm came up that I got the lock. Until then none of my effects were "permanent" enough. I feel like Smokestack would have been pretty brutal for my opponent here since I had 2 Loams cycling and 2 Explorations out. Can always just dump the Smokestack to itself too when it has served its purpose. Raven's Crime would have been nice too, but the threats were already there. I did not have Grove/PFire online at the moment (dredged up a Grove near the end of the game).
Thoughts?