Also, I may have been too harsh when stating that "I don't care". I do care and note what's happening in tier 2 (and even tier 3 if my SB cards can do some splash damage), but my main concern is how to beat the tier 1 decks. If tier 1 is RUG Delver, Elves, Storm combo and Sneak Attack, I'm going to make my maindeck and SB decisions largely based off that. I'm not going to devote 2 SB cards solely for Imperial Painter when I could use those slots to beef up my Sneak Attack matchup; if my SB card hates both decks, great!, but I'm making my decision based off what I expect to see.
Back in April 2013, I attended SCG Milwaukee. I was on Vidi's GP Denver EsperBlade list and I anticiplated seeing RUG Delver (tier 1), Reanimator/TinFins (DTB at the time), Blade Control (tier 1 at the time), and Sneak and Show (tier 1 at the time). I was aware that other tier 1 and tier 2 decks existed, but thought my maindeck was solid enough for whatever, but those matchups I wanted to focus on, so I SBed accordingly.
I played against Esperblade, TinFins, Maverick, RUG Delver, Goblins, Eggs (yep), Burn, Belcher, Dredge. I metagamed correctly for tier 1 and saw 3/4 of the tier 1 decks in my rounds. The other decks I played due to losing (lost to RUG Delver and I deserve to play against Burn I suppose). My maindeck was solid enough to wreck Maverick, Burn, Eggs, Belcher, Esperblade.
EDIT: Great article about TNN, format diversity (perhaps a natual ebb and flow, perhaps not), etc.
http://www.channelfireball.com/artic...game-analysis/
Also, as I stated in the other thread, TNN mirrors are just plain unfun for me. If others enjoy having TNN races, great, but I don't. I play with TNN (UW Stoneblade) and against it all of the time and it's far less enjoyable when I win on the back of TNN.