Re: [DTW] Dreadstill - Enter the Fist
Our meta has been almost entirely aggro lately I really like some of Rich's choices like Firesprouts/Goyfs. I was very close to grabbing a T8 spot myself but my lack of removal in the board prevented me from getting there. Grudges are obviously amazing vs Stax and Dreadstill mirror which is what Rich was expecting to face and he did.
Re: [DTW] Dreadstill - Enter the Fist
If you guys are really worried about the dreadstill mirror, you could still run a mono-blue list, as you can run repeal (good tempo card, never dead, costs only two if you wish and cantrips)... you could also run threads of disloyalty which also happens to be good against the format's most common critter (goyf), and it happens to get around CB for the most part, which is an obvious plus.
Re: [DTW] Dreadstill - Enter the Fist
Quote:
Originally Posted by
thefreakaccident
you can run repeal
I think I really like this idea too, it's helpful against almost everything.
Re: [DTW] Dreadstill - Enter the Fist
This is the deck I would like to build. I have about 250 dollars, maybe a bit more. I'm not a net decker. I prefer to go out and buy play sets (meaning max of that card that would be played in the deck) of all the cards in a deck then build it up from scratch. Are there any cards that aren't in these lists that might be played in the deck?
Re: [DTW] Dreadstill - Enter the Fist
Well, there are a lot of splash colors to choose from. Start with the core cards of course (Dreadnought, Stifle, Standstill, FoW, etc.) then make a decision on what splash color you prefer after testing a bit.
Re: [DTW] Dreadstill - Enter the Fist
Thats what i was planning on doing. What cards would be splashed from red? What splash color do you think would be best?
Re: [DTW] Dreadstill - Enter the Fist
Quote:
Originally Posted by
helldragon96
Thats what i was planning on doing. What cards would be splashed from red? What splash color do you think would be best?
Red really only brings the following cards to the table:
Red Elemental Blast/Pyroblast
Pyroclasm
Firespout
Its kind of a meta/preference thing I personally play Green Splash for Tarmogoyf and Krosan Grip, but Red Splash is very good in either heavy Blue or heavy goblin metas and White Splash is really good in unknown metas since Oblivion Ring is just insane and it flips as a 3cc for CB.
On another note black has been well, underwhelming. As appealing as Thoughtseize, Dark Confidant, Extirpate, and Engineered Plague were they just weren't getting the job done.
Re: [DTW] Dreadstill - Enter the Fist
I actually believe red or white splash is are the best. REB/Pyro are nuts in the meta right now, and pyroclasm handles all the random aggro matchups. And worse comes to worse, just make a fucking 12/12. Thats the best part about the deck. Dreadnought solves so many problems.
Re: [DTW] Dreadstill - Enter the Fist
I'd like to play white splash I think. Mainly cause i have no idea what my meta game will be like. Wheres another list for white splash?
Re: [DTW] Dreadstill - Enter the Fist
This is the White Splash list we currently use:
Lands:20
4 Mishra's Factory
3 Wasteland
2 Tundra
5 Island
3 Flooded Strand
3 Polluted Delta
Creatures:7
4 Phyrexian Dreadnought
3 Trinket Mage
Noncreature Spells:33
4 Brainstorm
4 Force of Will
4 Daze
3 Spell Snare
2 Oblivion Ring
4 Stifle
1 Trickbind
4 Standstill
3 Counterbalance
2 Sensei's Divining Top
2 Engineered Explosives
Side-15
3 Meddling Mage
3 Tormod's Crypt
3 Chill
2 Echoing Truth
2 Pithing Needle
2 Blue Elemental Blast
Re: [DTW] Dreadstill - Enter the Fist
Re: [DTW] Dreadstill - Enter the Fist
I took 9th at this weeks Hadley Tournament , there were 36 players and 6 rounds (I was barely out on tiebreaks again) Dreadstill also took 3rd or 4th and 1 5th/8th slot.
Re: [DTW] Dreadstill - Enter the Fist
I went 3-0-2 only to lose my last round against the mirror because he had more Tarmogoyfs than me.
Re: [DTW] Dreadstill - Enter the Fist
I have bee toying around with red splash in Dreadstill. I had some nice disruption in 4 MD Magus of the Moon. Magus isn't that bad 'cos most of the time they hose the opponent more than you. Only spell in MD that needs double U is Counterbalance and in side there is currently only Wipeaway as wish target, single island is easy enough to get. If they kill it you get your wastes and factorys online (sometimes my opponent rather mana hoses himself than is hit by some wastes and/or factory beatdown). On board it beats for 2, disrupts opponents gameplan and even gives you red mana whitout Volcanic Islands. Manabase is pretty stabile as you only have to run 1-2 volcanics.
I also tried out Cunning wishes.... I know I know, they are slow as hell. But setting up Dreadnought win (stifle or fling), just stifling something (stifle?) or doing some general mischief (fire/ice, wipe away, pact of negation even just winning with price of progress or fireblast) can really swing the game in favorable direction.
Only trouble besides the obvious speed with CWish is the usual, what to cut? I have managed to squeeze 3 in my deck and in my opinion thats the ideal number. It doesn't even take that much SB space. My toolbox is currently: stifle, flig, fire/ice, pact of negation and wipe away.
comments?
Re: [DTW] Dreadstill - Enter the Fist
Calling all Dreadstill experts!!!
I am building a test gauntlet and would like to get a representative decklist for Dreadstill from the experts who know it best...so I don't have to become an expert in 15+ decks by reading 100's of pages of discussion just to build the lists.
I'm testing UWb Cunning Landstill, so hopefully you would be able to provide 1) A solid (most popular?/agreed upon choices?/consistent t8 placements?) decklist (maybe best splash color vs. landstill), 2) A brief gameplan/goals pre/post board, and 3) How/what to board vs. UWb Cunning Landstill.
This will greatly speed up the testing process and help to prevent design/play/boarding mistakes.
Thanks tons,
-TG
Re: [DTW] Dreadstill - Enter the Fist
Quote:
Originally Posted by
HammafistRoob
I went 3-0-2 only to lose my last round against the mirror because he had more Tarmogoyfs than me.
And because I forced Standstills into play with Factories both games. I drew Mishras Factory like the master ALL DAY.
My opener against MUC had 2 both games and I drew into third in each. I wrote a report for my finish in the tournament thread. In short I played against..
Gobins
Red Painters
Tog
Aluren
Black Painters
Dreadstill
MUC
Goblins
I only lost to goblins and had no red hate in my board. The deck was very over powered all day.
I liked Wasteland but Im thinking Mutavault may be worth testing in the slot. I really wanted the extra man lands and win cons. Especially after being hit with 2 Extirpates.
My most important note is probably the 22 land count. Perfect.
Re: [DTW] Dreadstill - Enter the Fist
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Bane of the Living
And because I forced Standstills into play with Factories both games. I drew Mishras Factory like the master ALL DAY.
My opener against MUC had 2 both games and I drew into third in each. I wrote a report for my finish in the tournament thread. In short I played against..
Gobins
Red Painters
Tog
Aluren
Black Painters
Dreadstill
MUC
Goblins
I only lost to goblins and had no red hate in my board. The deck was very over powered all day.
I liked Wasteland but Im thinking Mutavault may be worth testing in the slot. I really wanted the extra man lands and win cons. Especially after being hit with 2 Extirpates.
My most important note is probably the 22 land count. Perfect.
The Goblins matchup is probably one of the hardest to win. Hence the reason Goblins knocked out both of the Dreadstill decks in the top8.
Nate I don't know why we were unsure about the MUC matchup. What can a Mono U deck do about a 12/12 Trampler, hope to steal it with Threads? LOL
I really liked running 21 lands in my Ugr list, it seemed to me like the perfect number. I already tried to run Mutavaults, it's really not worth it at all, this deck wins because of all the Tempo/CA it gains in the early game. Wasteland is KEY to the strategy of the deck.
You say you drew Factories like a champ all day, I saw you drawing FoWs like a champ all day. Again congrats on your performance with the deck.
Re: [DTW] Dreadstill - Enter the Fist
Quote:
Originally Posted by
TopGun
Calling all Dreadstill experts!!!
I am building a test gauntlet and would like to get a representative decklist for Dreadstill from the experts who know it best...so I don't have to become an expert in 15+ decks by reading 100's of pages of discussion just to build the lists.
I'm testing UWb Cunning Landstill, so hopefully you would be able to provide 1) A solid (most popular?/agreed upon choices?/consistent t8 placements?) decklist (maybe best splash color vs. landstill), 2) A brief gameplan/goals pre/post board, and 3) How/what to board vs. UWb Cunning Landstill.
This will greatly speed up the testing process and help to prevent design/play/boarding mistakes.
Thanks tons,
-TG
As far as splashes go, it is really a meta call, I would say that red and green are the best splashes and the best general list is Ugr Dreadstill. I would recommend the following list:
Lands:20
4 Mishra's Factory
3 Wasteland
3 Polluted Delta
3 Flooded Strand
2 Tropical Island
2 Volcanic Island
3 Island
Creatures:9
4 Phyrexian Dreadnought
3 Trinket Mage
2 Tarmogoyf
Noncreature Spells:31
4 Standstill
4 Stifle
4 Force of Will
4 Brainstorm
3 Counterbalance
3 Daze
3 Spell Snare
2 Engineered Explosives
2 Sensei's Divining Top
2 Trickbind
Sideboard:15
2 Blue Elemental Blast
2 Red Elemental Blast
3 Krosan Grip
2 Fire Spout
2 Pithing Needle
2 Tormod's Crypt
2 Tarmogoyf
As far as a game plan goes, it is best to try to abuse their Standstill since you have better library manipulation and often out Factory your opponents. Cunning Wish and Humility can't resolve and try to keep a stifle open for Decree. And if you have the right hand rush out a nought. The worst situation is they successfully swords it and that basically guarantees that you win the Factory race.
As Far as a sideboard plan goes:
On the Draw:
-3 Daze
-4 Standstill
-1 Trinket Mage
-1 Engineered Explosives
+3 Krosan Grip
+2 Red Elemental Blast
+2 Pithing Needle
+2 Tarmogoyf
On the Play:
-3 Daze
-1 Engineered Explosives
-4 Standstill
-1 Spell Snare
+2 Red Elemental Blast
+2 Pithing Needle
+2 Tarmogoyf
+3 Krosan Grip
Re: [DTW] Dreadstill - Enter the Fist
Would Hail Storm be a viable anti-Goblins card in the Ug build? I was trying to think how best to improve that match up, since Gobs are pretty prevalent in the New England meta, and that was a card that jumped out at me. The :g::g: is a bit rough, but figure post board your need for UU is probably gone with Counterbalance sided out, but it still means fetching two nonbasics against a deck with Wastelands... thoughts?
Re: [DTW] Dreadstill - Enter the Fist
Quote:
Originally Posted by
from Cairo
Would Hail Storm be a viable anti-Goblins card in the Ug build? I was trying to think how best to improve that match up, since Gobs are pretty prevalent in the New England meta, and that was a card that jumped out at me. The :g::g: is a bit rough, but figure post board your need for UU is probably gone with Counterbalance sided out, but it still means fetching two nonbasics against a deck with Wastelands... thoughts?
Yes, I've tried hail storm and as you guessed, the GG is too tough to keep on the table. I think the best way to beat goblins is counter first turn lackey/vial and then rush out a nought and use your counter to protect it.