Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices and Reprints Thread
So, everyone happy that the hype and speculation have died down substantially?
Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices and Reprints Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Mr.C
So, everyone happy that the hype and speculation have died down substantially?
Magic card prices tend to be cyclical, I'm sure this thread will be up and running with gusto again soon.
Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices and Reprints Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by
atropos
Magic card prices tend to be cyclical, I'm sure this thread will be up and running with gusto again soon.
This last cycle through was extra swingy mostly on account of card speculators hoping to make a quick buck. Read back in this thread about 6-10 months and see how many people were "so smart" to be buying out the stock of X or Y cards. Now imagine how stupid those people are feeling right now stuck with all that cardboard. I'm guessing this last year taught a lot of Magic buyers a quick lesson in economics they won't be forgetting anytime soon. I'm also guessing a lot of these casual speculators who took a hit are just sitting on stocks of cards waiting for them to go back up so they can break even and not look like idiots. If I'm right that means the next time prices go up there will be extra supply to keep them down a little.
Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices and Reprints Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Mr.C
So, everyone happy that the hype and speculation have died down substantially?
In a word yes, no market cant sustain to many speculators without crashing eventually and the last year or two seems to have really increased the number of folks "trading for profit". Series like pack to power and sites like Quietspec really caused an explosion in the popularity of the monetary aspect of the game. Part of it is high single card prices and and tough economic times but whatever the reason the market has been literally glutted with armature speculator/grinders for the last year or so and I think were finally starting to see the backlash of that effect as the promised easy money fails to materialize. All in all its nice to see things slowing down a bit again. I wonder how long it will last this time XD
Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices and Reprints Thread
I don't know what are you all braging about. The prices are still ridiculus. True they are not going up anymore, but since Underground sea in ex condition is now at least 80€ and all other blue duals going for the 60-70€ range.. i don't know what all the fuss is about.
The prices stopped rising, but they sure as hell didn't go down... which leaves me where? Exactly at the same spot. So..:really:
Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices and Reprints Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Mr Miagi
I don't know what are you all braging about. The prices are still ridiculus. True they are not going up anymore, but since Underground sea in ex condition is now at least 80€ and all other blue duals going for the 60-70€ range.. i don't know what all the fuss is about.
The prices stopped rising, but they sure as hell didn't go down... which leaves me where? Exactly at the same spot. So..:really:
They came down, trust me.
They are still high in that $100 for any card is a high price IMO. Seriously though you can get U. Seas stateside for $85-$100 all day on ebay. Considering they went for like $110-$120 for a while that is a considerable drop. All duals went down about 10-15% but Tundras seem to have gone down the least and Savannahs seem to have recovered the fastest as people want to pick up pieces for Maverick. Considering there are at least 2 US Legacy GPs and even more SCG events this year prices are pretty low. They will probably start to pick up steam again as we close in on GPs and distance ourselves from the holiday season (where events are at a severe lull and people are tapped out).
The real losers were Modern cards which pretty much tanked across the board as the format changed multiple times in the past 6 months and lots of people temporarily lost interest in the format. Not to mention people start getting nervous as WotC seems poised to drop some reprints in the near future, but who knows what that will amount to.
A lot of Legacy staples that were underspeculated have dropped only a little bit or not at all (example Onslaught fetches) which shows how big a part speculation played in the recent increase.
Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices and Reprints Thread
Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices and Reprints Thread
What's so bad about it. Be a good way to stock up on EDH randomness. I must be missing something. You're sure to not get any chase rares, but $16 isn't horrible for 50 crap rares.
Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices and Reprints Thread
Except that it's cheaper from Starcity of all places.
http://sales.starcitygames.com/cardd...?product=18916
Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices and Reprints Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by
dahcmai
What's so bad about it. Be a good way to stock up on EDH randomness. I must be missing something. You're sure to not get any chase rares, but $16 isn't horrible for 50 crap rares.
I see that now, for some reason I thought the going rate was 25-40/ $5 for bulk rares.
Edit: I was right.
See http://www.trollandtoad.com/p101621.html
25/ $5.00
Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices and Reprints Thread
So I found out foil aven mindcensor is 20+ dollars today. It always astonishes me to find out that a random card like that, which is played as a 1-2 of in one deck, has gotten so expensive. I picked one up today because I thought it was kinda cool from a guy. We didn't think to look up its value so he just called it a couple bucks.
Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices and Reprints Thread
look up foil dryad arbor some time, its crazy!
Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices and Reprints Thread
Jap foil Dryad Arbor is crazier.. 6 months after I got my 2nd copy, I've seen none below $135. Even after Natural Order lost its hype to Delver.
Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices and Reprints Thread
Foil Gaea's Cradle is starting to slowly catch up to the normal ones. Kind of funny. The normal one went up quite a bit, but the foil didn't follow it. For a bit they were almost the same price around $50-60 or so with the foil only about 10-20 above that. They are finally breaking the hundred mark now though and sold out at just about everywhere but Ebay.
Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices and Reprints Thread
Im thinking about buying the BUG pool - im missing Bayous, Tropicals, Fetchlands, Goyfs, Snapcasters and Lillianas....
When is the best time to buy these? Now? Because its winter? Should I wait with goyf until the next edition to see if its reprinted? Thanks for any advice mates.
Greetings
Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices and Reprints Thread
Here is my lore nerd feeling about Tarmogoyf getting reprinted.
the *Goyf species is a species Dominaria. Avacyn is not in Dominaria, thus I dont think he'll be printed until some form of return happens. I mean, sure wotc could just decide, hey people keep complaining about this card being expensive.. lets make him a mythic and people will go apeshit. Honestly I just dont see him coming for a while.
AND sometimes people take the futureshifted thing, imo, out of context. What Tarmogoyf gave us was the knowledge that Planeswalkers and tribal were coming. That may be all he ever shows us.
from the MTGS wiki, thats sources a maro article on timespiral
" Each of the cards features some quality that has never appeared in the game before, such as a new keyword ability (Fleshwrither), the application of a new keyword for an old ability (Thornweald Archer), or even referencing cards and card types that do not exist yet (Goldmeadow Lookout, Steamflogger Boss). Each of these unique aspects appear on only a small number of cards, indicating that they may be more properly explored in later sets."
and goyf sploiling that planeswalkers could in fact enter the GY was a pretty big bit of information.
so if you need them now, get them now. If you can wait for Modern PTQ season to be over get them then. Lili is pretty affordable at the moment though.
Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices and Reprints Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Wirrsturm
So I found out foil aven mindcensor is 20+ dollars today. It always astonishes me to find out that a random card like that, which is played as a 1-2 of in one deck, has gotten so expensive. I picked one up today because I thought it was kinda cool from a guy. We didn't think to look up its value so he just called it a couple bucks.
I actually did a trade in November where I was a little short (like $1-$2), so I asked about the foil Trinket Mage he had. He gladly threw it in. I later saw it valued at $10-$12 :eek:
Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices and Reprints Thread
I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this.
Here are pictures of an English Mana Drain that is quite heavily played.
http://imgur.com/7jV7z,6DqQl
I was wondering if anybody could give me the approximate value ('Ebay Price') of this card.
Thanks
Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices and Reprints Thread
Played English Mana Drains tend to get around $80-90 or so. That's a fairly safe guess though a few other factors fall in like feedback rating and such.
@Phillip Don't buy unless you're getting a good deal right now. Prices will be a tad higher than normal. People are getting tax returns. They seem to think they can outbid everyone right now due to that. April would be the next decent time to buy. July is a bad time also (birthdays). November is the best time to buy always. Broke people needing money for Christmas.
Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices and Reprints Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by
dahcmai
Played English Mana Drains tend to get around $80-90 or so. That's a fairly safe guess though a few other factors fall in like feedback rating and such.
@Phillip Don't buy unless you're getting a good deal right now. Prices will be a tad higher than normal. People are getting tax returns. They seem to think they can outbid everyone right now due to that. April would be the next decent time to buy. July is a bad time also (birthdays). November is the best time to buy always. Broke people needing money for Christmas.
Things like that always boggle my mind, I don't doubt the accuracy in that but it always feels like that should be logically impossible--that any given time is better than another and it's in any way shape or form predictable. Because if that were true, and it was known, then it would immediately be untrue. If everyone knew that November was the best time to buy, always, then November would be the worst time to buy because everyone is then..buying.. in November.