Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices and Reprints Thread
Not much stopping people from doing the same themselves anyway. It's like a legal no recourse for insider trading stock market now. Can't be real surprised over that.
Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices and Reprints Thread
SCG has just moved Misty Rainforest and Scalding Tarn to $34.99 each
Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices and Reprints Thread
BOOM
Welcome to Modern season.
BUST
Welcome to Standard season.
I should point out that unless cards are reprinted, those cards will trend upwards over the long trend. The Bust might not be less than 70% of the Boom value each season. #mtgfinance
EDIT: Holy bazookas! They're on the SCG buylist at $20 a pop too. Cue Boom.
Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices and Reprints Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Koby
BOOM
Welcome to Modern season.
BUST
Welcome to Standard season.
I should point out that unless cards are reprinted, those cards will trend upwards over the long trend. The Bust might not be less than 70% of the Boom value each season. #mtgfinance
EDIT: Holy bazookas! They're on the SCG buylist at $20 a pop too. Cue Boom.
buylist at 20? that's crazy... I guess I know where I can unload some stuff... But I might keep my playset of tarns and sell off the rest.
I sadly only have 2 rainforests :(
I will pick up the rainforests at CFB price this weekend ;)
Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices and Reprints Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by
lordofthepit
I'm not happy with the cost of these staples going up to what seems like unjustifiable prices, but if it's the result of regular supply/demand as he states, then I can't really argue against what SCG is doing.
The Abyss isn't a staple. In fact, it's barely playable.
Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices and Reprints Thread
Tested with the Abyss, and unless you're already winning, it usually doesn't pull you out of the hole. Mongoose still gets you, and so does Spell Pierce.
-Matt
Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices and Reprints Thread
What do you guys think about how long Show and Tell will be legal? I bought a playset when they were 5 bucks each and now they are like 50-60. I really want to buy some more duals/staples but want to dump them at the optimal time. Do you think they will keep rising in price?
Thanks for your input!
Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices and Reprints Thread
I don't think Show & Tell will be banned anytime soon, if ever. If you look at the results of tournaments these days, Show & Tell decks are hardly dominating the format.
As for dual lands, I think now is an ok time to buy them - prices seem fairly stable right now.
Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices and Reprints Thread
Man I remember when Grisel and Emily were the deck to beat for a whole month and everyone screamed to ban SnT (me included). Turns out that with enough hate it isn't that great. Which is why I love this format so much. There may be some things that people perceive as too powerful, but thanks to the diverse card pool everything has a decent answer! I think more people should at least pay attention to legacy if only just to see how diverse it is and how even the best decks aren't unbeatable. Yes RUG is a very good deck and some decks just have a tough time beating it, but there are many decks out there that have solid 60/40 win ratios against the deck. (RUG isn't the best deck anymore imo just an example)
As for when it is time to buy and sell I can only see duals going up in the future not down. Just be smart about what prices you are buying at. No need to pay 150 bucks from some guy selling his MP Underground Sea when you can ebay them for a solid 110 on ebay
Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices and Reprints Thread
If you didn't know fetchlands were important in Legacy and Modern and you didn't pick them up during the 2+ years they were $10 then you deserve to take it in the poop pipe now.
Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices and Reprints Thread
Dual lands will continue to go up.
This hurricane in new york must have destroyed several thousand playable non-reprint cards.
Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices and Reprints Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Avatar of Shadow
Dual lands will continue to go up.
This hurricane in new york must have destroyed several thousand playable non-reprint cards.
If one of the biggest Legacy scenes in the world lost most of their Legacy cards to the flooding, wouldn't that kill off Legacy in that area? Assuming most people did lose their staples to flooding then we can assume a good number of players would stop playing paper magic. Sure some would buy back in but most wouldn't. Most people that currently play Legacy have owned most of their staples forever and don't really buy cards often.
So if most of your buddies lost most their cards and don't plan on playing Legacy(or they might buy into Vintage at this point) then would you replace your cards either? You wouldn't have any one to play with so why bother right?
Legacy could then die in popularity in the place that it is most popular at.
This would then have an adverse effect where Legacy cards become cheaper because they aren't in as much of a demand in the place where they used to be sought after the most.
This is all hypothetical of course and many people could have brought a shoebox of cards worth $2,000++ or more with them during their evacuation. I know I packed my cards with me for Katrina.
Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices and Reprints Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Avatar of Shadow
Dual lands will continue to go up.
This hurricane in new york must have destroyed several thousand playable non-reprint cards.
That's why there are double sleeves. Designed to withstand hurricane gale forces.
Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices and Reprints Thread
I imagine serious players were ready to move their cards if they had any sense. I know here in New Jersey, I have all my better stuff ready to go and had a plastic container waiting in case it got bad. It never did for me, but I was prepared for it. I would lose bulk to $10 cards maybe, but stuff like my dual and fetch playsets, moat, tabernacle, reserved list staples, and decks were ready to move.
Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices and Reprints Thread
Back on The Abyss, look at the average selling price on MCM for the last 4 months. Remember SCG bought them arought the 20th of October.
http://i46.tinypic.com/2lnveyu.jpg
Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices and Reprints Thread
I think this thread from our partners in crime on the Salvation forum compiles some quite interesting aspects regarding impacts on prices. (Kudos to Amuraivel):
http://www.mtgsalvation.com/1381-flo...es-part-2.html
Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices and Reprints Thread
Does anyone know why Ulamog and Kozilek cost so much? I understand Emrakul's price, he's played in quite a few decks, but Ulamog and Kozilek are played in fewer decks. Furthermore, in the decks they are played in, they seem to only be a 1-of. So why are their prices so high?
Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices and Reprints Thread
^ I would think because of EDH.
Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices and Reprints Thread
Why did shardless agent jump from 6-7 to 15$?
Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices and Reprints Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Lord Seth
Does anyone know why Ulamog and Kozilek cost so much? I understand Emrakul's price, he's played in quite a few decks, but Ulamog and Kozilek are played in fewer decks. Furthermore, in the decks they are played in, they seem to only be a 1-of. So why are their prices so high?
EDH is the main reason since they can be added to any deck and have unique effects (graveyard shuffling and the casting bonus).
Quote:
Originally Posted by
swoop
Why did shardless agent jump from 6-7 to 15$?
Shardless BUG (Gerry T & Todd Anderson ran the same version.) The fact that it only comes from the Planechase decks adds to the price.