I was browsing and found this Pox-list going top16 at SCG Cincinnati
http://www.thecouncil.es/tcdecks/deck.php?id=11672
List looks solid, but what i really liked was the splash of green WITHOUT Life from the Loam.
Printable View
I was browsing and found this Pox-list going top16 at SCG Cincinnati
http://www.thecouncil.es/tcdecks/deck.php?id=11672
List looks solid, but what i really liked was the splash of green WITHOUT Life from the Loam.
i would like to understand his thought process on the singleton mox diamond..i hope someone can locate and coax him into explaining it in this forum..its an interesting choice, though i'm sure it will raise a lot of eyebrows..
In its defense, it does grab any Rituals, Burning Wish, Show and Tell, any non-land mana ramp, Goblin Lackey, Aether Vial, and any Counterspell. Force of Will got you down? Hymn to Tourach loves it. Every win card you've mentioned needs to be cheated into play using a 1-3 cmc spell and THAT'S where Inquisition lives.
You can NEVER have too many sac-effects vs. Metas with Tarmogoyf! :tongue: Though Reid Duke's explanation of why a good Legacy deck shouldn't have more than 5 cards dealing only with creatures is sound. I too run 3 Innocent Blood and 1 Spinning Darkness as my only cards in my whole deck that only deals with creatures. My game 1 vs. combo isn't auto-lose cause a ton of my cards are relevant. That and if you're only fighting people with 100% turn 1 kill combo decks, I'd have quit playing magic entirely. Turn 1 Dark Ritual + Inquisition + Hymn to Tourach happens more often than raw numbers would suggest. Personally, vs. combo, I'd go turn 1 Liliana first then Hymn them turn 2. You'd tear their hand down 4 cards if on the play which no combo deck can realistically recover from.
Again, if they go off turn 1 all the time, we're non-FoW decks, there's nothing to discuss sadly... :frown: But the nature of MtG is that those decks don't exist. There's a reason Threshold is the DtB forever and not Belcher or LED Dredge...
@ zenitramleirdag: I was thinking the same thing,it just looks a little bit... random. Same goes for Barren Moore and Tabernacle: without LotL it seems a bit little less powerful. I really would like to read his report and explanation for some of his choises. Either way, congrats with his finish!
About the discussion Seize vs all other 1-cmc: I think it really shines in a meta where you really want to grab high cmc-cards and you have a way to get some life back. To put it blankly, it's just a matter of preference and how you're meta looks like. I tried a build with 4 IoK and 3 Seize, without Hymn. It worked out really well, but I missed the possibility of hitting lands with Hymn.
I think that in the current meta OmniStrata is right and IoK does almost everything without the lifeloss.
Good point. Inquisition is probably better than I give it credit for. I've been burned too many times by being unable to hit the cards that really matter. I also dislike the fact that an Omni-tell pilot (for example) can Brainstorm in such a way as to leave no targets for Inquisition, essentially blanking it. Thoughtseize, as long as it resolves, never fails to disrupt. Your remark that threshold (I assume you mean RUG Delver?) is forever the deck to beat puzzles me. I feel like RUG Delver has lost most of its share in the format to midrange/other tempo strategies. I would certainly put Shardless BUG, Deathblade, Omni-tell, ANT, and probably UWR Delver before it in terms of representation in the field. Additionally, I've always found the matchup strongly favourable for Pox. What are your thoughts?
Having too many sac-effects against a 'Goyf guarded by smaller creatures is exactly the problem. Abrupt Decay handles Tarmogoyf no matter what the context. I realize the green splash is a big change, but I really feel like anyone who hasn't thoroughly tested it should. Don't net-deck a Loam-Pox build, just switch out Innocent Bloods for Abrupt Decays, squeeze in some Sylvan Libraries (I recommend 3), and adjust the manabase accordingly. Once you've had Abrupt Decay at your disposal, you'll never look back.
Chatto, I share your sentiment that splashing green shouldn't always entail running Life from the Loam. However, this list runs 2.
RUG Delver has always been in the DtB forums and always makes it to Top 8 in larger tournaments at least once. If you look at how it's built, it makes sense since it just runs the best cards in Legacy. RUG Delver Threshold runs the best cards in its colors and each individual card is bone breaking by themselves. Thankfully, as a Pox player, that means we only need to hit a few resources at a time. Most decks I fight view efficiency as needing less land, less creatures to win, and lesser hand sizes. I think that works since free spells and low cmc power hitters are totally overpowered.
Additionally, I used to run Loam Pox. Then I took a Nimble Mongoose and Mother of Runes to the knees. Abrupt Decay for me was used more for killing things like Pithing Needle, Counterbalance, Vial, and other enchantments/artifacts. Unless I'm fighting something very strange like Aether Vial Zoo :tongue: Cursed Scroll will zap sac fodder and I will hit the Goyf. Then of course, there's Perish, which is auto win usually in the face of fast Goyf hordes.
After a while, I realized that Pox's inability to deal with Artifacts and Enchantments isn't much of a game breaker and it's impossible for me to find perfect consistency with a Splashed Pox. That and it'd raise my deck budget to an insane degree and being almost totally immune to Wastelands is a gigantic bonus in developed greedy mana metas. Loving my 12 Snow-covered Swamps mana base.
I just got a Lifebane Zombie from the Magic Celebration free draft and I gotta say... HOLY SHAT! This sideboarded card rocks decks that get Sinkholed turn two and hits really hard. The fact that it does something after being cast is huge. Black exile? really? :cool: If only it had flash...
Snowcovered lands, et tu Brute?:cool:
How about this for zombie deck?
4 Geralf's messenger
4 Gravecrawler
4 lifebane zombie
4 gangrenous zombies
4 stillmoon cavalier
4 bloodghast
2 unearth
4 smallpox
4 hymn to Tourach
4 dark Ritual
3 pox
3 darkblast
20 snow-covered swamp
withering wisps would be cool(no pun intended) in an all-snow-covered swamps theme..in flavor at least..
I would have mentioned it if I had not forgotten the name...
i know, took me about a minute to remember the name of the card before i typed that post.. :wink:
I've been trying to get back into magic for awhile and it took me a few months to decide what i wanted to build.
I decided on pox because it's budget, it's rogue, and it has a lot of capability for manipulation the main deck depending on the meta.
After knocking cards back and forth with my buddy, we decided on a split control method with land destruction and discard.
Let me know what you think of this deck list: (I call the deck Malevolent Mishra (or M&M's) because all it's win conditions are mishra's creations)
Mainboard:
4x Ankh of Mishra
4x Blight
4x Dark Ritual
4x Hymn to Tourach
4x Innocent Blood
2x Inquisition of Kozilek
3x Mishra's Factory
4x Raven's Crime
4x Sinkhole
4x Smallpox
11x Swamp
4x The Rack
2x trinisphere
4x Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
2x ghost quarter
Sideboard:
2x duress
3x Dystopia
3x Geth's Verdict
3x Infest
4x Leyline of the Void
Reasoning behind certain choices:
Win conditions and interactions:
ankh of mishra:
This is a win condition as much as its a control. if it's out, take 2 from laying a land, it makes people receive 5 damage from fetching a land, or stifling decisions by holding a land.
This is also why I am running Ghost Quarter, because i can then either have them take 2 from ankh if they search for a basic, or in legacy very few decks have many basics if any, so it's pretty much a wasteland.
Blight and Sinkhole alongside ghost to do land destruction.
The Rack:
This is good all depending on the the discard that's drawn.
I prefer this over the creature run pox win conditions(this deck doesn't run creatures besides mishra's factory) because it's continuous, it's hard to get rid of, and it makes them hold cards if they don't want to get hit by rack, making it easier to get hit by more discard.
mishra's factory:
fights creatures, isn't hit by innocent blood or other creature hate that isn't instant speed, good stuff.
trinisphere:
I figured running this over liliana of the veil because it just makes the Land destruction as well as the discard just better.
Sideboard:
Dystopia against leyline of sanctity
Infest against swarm/tribal decks
Geth's Verdict for more creature hate
Duress for more discard against combo decks
Leyline of the void against dredge/reanimator
I hate to be that guy, but Pox is not budget. This is one of the most common misconceptions about the deck, and it arises from the fact that Pox is such a rogue presence in the format that new/potential Pox players simply don't have enough lists to compare to get a sense of what is viable. Our share in the metagame is extremely small, so the few occasions on which Pox has done well are typically a combination of luck, play-skill and the rogue factor rather than a particular list's merits. Additionally, mono-black Pox is an anachronism, and I can't recommend opting to play a second-rate version of an already 'rogue' deck.
Let alone the fact that you need to be running green for Abrupt Decay (and will need 4 Bayou and 4+ fetchlands), a playable mono-black list requires at minimum a playset of each Wasteland, Liliana of the Veil, Sinkhole, and Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth, not to mention some number of Crucible of Worlds, Sensei's Divining Top, Nether Void (I'd run 2), Thoughtseize, etc. Again, Pox is a shaky enough archetype as is; you'll only do yourself a disservice running a weakened version of it.
Having said all that, let's take a look at your list.
I don't think it makes much sense to run Raven's Crime without Life from the Loam, since the card is fairly unimpressive without recursion. I would max out Inquisition of Kozilek first. Run all four Factories. The card is our most resilient win condition, and its ability to block is crucial. I would also run 2 Crucible of Worlds. You're already running Ghost Quarter, and Crucible shares great synergy with Mishra's Factory. You should also consider running more lands. I run 25 (in a 61-card deck), and find that to be just enough to be able to Smallpox aggressively. Ankh of Mishra seems like a funny choice; our life total is quite sensitive, while theirs is really irrelevant until we're in a position to start winning. As with any control deck, stabilizing is more important than dealing damage. There's a reason Pox has fallen out of favour. Additionally, Blight is really bad. Sinkhole is just good enough for Legacy; you don't want to let your opponents get another use out of a land you've already spent a spell 'destroying'. The inclusion of Blight and the second Ghost Quarter, as well as the low land-count, are plain symptoms of trying to run Pox without Wasteland. Make them your first big purchase for the deck. Trinisphere is nice, but it's no substitute for Nether Void. Trinisphere doesn't interfere with an opponent's ability to land larger threats, recur Batterskull, drop Jace at an opportune moment, etc. It's important to tax the big spells too.
I'm glad you've chosen Pox; it's a unique and enjoyable deck. Start playing what you've got, get hooked, and start saving!
I am of another opinion on most what D0LPH says. I will not, however, say much on that but rather focus on the deck.
Ankh of Mishra. Wonderful card. It is not a win con however. It is a LOCK PIECE.
As such it works well with land destruction (sorry for the understatement, but I ran out of superlatives).
Since you play land before the ankh you will always be 2 life ahead of your opponent. This is a minor but important detail. Sinkhole are a must, wastelands too.
Another must is moxes and/or dark rituals.
I figure Trinisphere would work wonderfully in this deck. Trying to reach three mana to play spells with an Ankh in play, through the LD, will be hard.
Given the ankh plan the win cons need be recurring creatures and something that does not rely on the graveyard (so as to have a back up plan. Phyrexian totem perhaps?)
A.N.K.H.
This is just a draft:wink:
1 Nether Spirit
1 Akuta, Born of Ash
4 Hymn to Tourach
4 Innocent Blood
4 Inquisition of Kozilek
3 Pox
4 Sinkhole
4 Smallpox
4 Dark Ritual
4 Ankh of Mishra
4 Trinisphere
3 Mox Diamond
2 Phyrexian Totem
11 Swamp
4 Wasteland
4 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
i don't think 19 lands can accomodate 3 mox diamonds, technically, there's only 15 lands in that build because most players don't count the wastelands as lands but rather as LD spells..to begin with, i'm not sure if you even need the diamonds since that list also runs rituals..i would drop the diamonds altogether and replace them with mishra's factories..
ankh of mishra is a cute and interesting choice and could probably win you a few games but its not by any means the most optimal pick for that slot..if its continuous source of damage you want, i'd look into cursed scrolls..there's a reason that almost all competitive pox lists run it..
trinisphere is a good replacement for nether void, its just not as good..but can help against a lot of decks..i just wouldn't advise running 4..
phyrexian totem used to be good, but i'd rather have that spot for singleton crucible of worlds and free up a flex spot..
i apologize if i seem to be leading the deck to a different direction..i do see what you're going for here with the ankhs and trinispheres to lock the opponent out of the game..and use the diamonds and the the totems to offset it..
these are just my 2-cents..
i do however feel intrigued with the singleton Akuta, Born of Ash..
As i noted it is just a draft. Untested, unplayed, and goldfish not well at all:laugh:
However, I have used Ankhs to great effect over a year back in a traditional pox build. My hapless opponent ran zoo, but it did him no good.
I would like to have more threats in it, true. But no big deal. The important things is Trinisphere + Ankh. The day I put it together I would fine tune it of course. For example, I think liliana should be in it the list.
Thankyou. I think anhk does work in the legacy meta with everyone running fetches and dual lands. Trinisphere and land destruction with ankh just work, it's just a really odd multiple condition control deck with the pox discard in the mix, but it's so off-handed the opponent will be caught off guard and you may win against the meta with it.
I am still fine tuning my list above, but i'm glad someone see's the combination and what it can mean for unsuspecting opponents expecting to just fetch for all their 3 colors they need when they take 5 damage from fetching, they can't cast anything from trinisphere, and you kill their lands with sinkholes and other LD to lock them out when you swing away with mishra's. then you throw discard in the mix and any strategy will have a hard time being resilient.
I have been messing around with this list for awhile and am very happy with it so far. The Chalice is permanent based hate that often shuts down significant portions of decks. It also makes Loaming a little more comfortable when it is out, as a majority of commonly used GY hate is 1cmc. In addition, Chalice helps in some combo matchups as you can get it out for zero against LED. Time will tell if the sometimes less explosive turns 1 and 2 will be the downfall of it, but turn one sinkholes,hymns and smallpoxes do occasionally happen. A Chalice also keeps you from having to worry about every Delver, Mongoose, Deathrite Shaman, Brainstorm, Ponder etc that opponent will topdraw during topdeck war. For the most part it seems to work well.
4 Chalice of the Void
3 Mox Diamond
1 Nether Spirit
1 Bloodghast
2 Sylvan Library
1 Syphon Life
4 Life from the Loam
4 Lilliana of the Veil
2 Pox
4 Smallpox
4 Sinkhole
4 Hymn to Tourach
4 Abrupt Decay
24 lands
4 Wasteland
4 Mishra's Factory
4 Bayou
4 Verdant Catacombs
4 Urborg,Tomb of Yawgmoth
1 Cabal Pit
1 Barren Moor
1 Swamp
1 Forest
Side
4 Leyline of the Void
2 Ratchet Bomb
2 Krosan Grip
4 Trinisphere
3 Engineered Plague
Pox is really bad, and I feel it has no place in modern incarnations of the deck. You lose too much life against aggro decks (especially those with burn spells), and you usually lose far more lands than your opponent (given that you've already been attacking their lands). You need to be using your life for Sylvan Library, if anything. I would up your Sylvans to 3. Given that you're using Chalice of the Void (and thus lack 1 cmc disruption), run the fourth Mox Diamond. I do, and Mox Diamond is one of the cards I most want to see in my opening hand. How's your combo matchup? I would want at least one Nether Void in the main (or possibly Trinisphere). I'm surprised to see 4 Life from the Loam. Overall, nice list.
My thought is, if I am going to splash green and open myself up more to Stifle, Wasteland, Blood Moon, Price of Progress etc, I want to Loam. Abrupt Decay is great, and Sylvan Library is a little better than Sensei's Divining Top, but those two alone don't elevate the deck enough to open up more of those risks than mono black. And I actually like Crucible of Worlds better than Loam for Wastelock and Factory recursion if the deck doesn't have other graveyard Shenanigans. It happens every turn and you don't have to dredge instead of draw or spend two mana to recur the lands. With Loam, Wastelock you will end up dredging a bit, so the Chalices help protect that. The advantage is that with Loam it can get very out of hand for the opponent if they do not have an answer very soon, and I find this build is best going after land destruction in the most devastating way possible. Queerios has similar build a few pages back the Loam engine can handle a lot of Big Poxing. I still took two out for the long game boost of two Libraries though.
I think Nether Void is better with Crucible because you need 5 mana out to even Loam some lands back, which may affect poxing choices. With 5 lands you are probably doing OK anyway. Tabernacle would be nice though.
I do need to test combo more, but Chalice helps against a lot of zero and 1 cm early threats and cantrips. The Trinispheres and land destruction hopefully repress them enough even if there is a Leyline of Sanctity out, which can be a problem with discard answers to combo. If they side Rest in Peace or Leyline of the Void to avoid Chalice then you can side in Ratchet Bomb and Krosan Grip.
" Variant Three - Budget
(Mana)
18 Swamp
2 Tomb of Yawgmoth
4 Mishra’s Factory
4 Dark Ritual
(1cc Disruption)
4 Duress
4 Innocent Blood
2 Cabal Therapy/Funeral Charm
(2cc Disruption)
4 Hymn to Tourach
4 Smallpox
2 Powder Keg
(3cc Disruption)
4 Pox
2 Infest
(Win Conditions)
3 Nether Spirit
3 Phyrexian Totem
The only two cards that need be removed in order to budgetize the deck are Wastelands and Sinkholes. The loss of Wastelands while generally bad, actually makes the deck stronger in certain matchups. "
From the old thread. Yes it's outdated, however, to keep the deck budget, don't splash, and pick the right cards. Though I admit, I'm running a currently priced $500 version of the deck. Though a while back, the cards were cheaper.
Technically speaking, in this forum section, everyone just assumes you have money and should blast it on cards that usually gain value over time and are investments both for your $ future and for your gaming fun in general. My deck costs about half my friend's Landstill deck and the win ratio is about 50%, but good God how slow the games are lol.
Aside from Liliana of the Veil, I think Pox can be run on a budget friendly wallet assuming you fight without any LD whatsoever. So for now, get LotV and fight on with what's left! :cool:
i agree with the above post..
mono black discard pox is one of my all time favorite budget legacy decks..
its cheap but has the tools to beat a lot of decks in today's meta..
For a reasonably competitive budget Pox it would be nice to have Urborg although they are not the cheapest and are usually only in Pox, but I assume that if you want to run 4 Mishras you should have a couple. The rest is pretty budgety.
4 Pox
4 Smallpox
4 Dark Ritual
4 Hymn to Tourach
4 Inquisition of Kozeliek
4 Innocent Blood
2 Spinning Darkness
2 Raven's Crime
4 The Rack
1 Nether Spirit
2 Bloodghast
1 Necroplasm
2 Dakmore Salvage
2 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
4 Mishra's Factory
16 Swamp
To each their own, but I heartily disagree; I think they are entirely worth splashing for on their own. (Also, Sylvan Library is amazing. It's my suspicion that most people play Library like Mirri's Guile and fail to see why it is worth the splash over SDT. The turn after you play Sylvan Library, unless your opponent is playing Burn or you have a fetchland, it is basically always correct to pay 8 life. The card advantage, combined with accelerants like Mox Diamond and Dark Ritual, will often create an insurmountable obstacle for your opponent.)
Good points. You make strong arguments for a lot of cards I wouldn't play, but that might only be because I don't play Loam. (Loaming through Nether Void does blow.) I still think big Pox is really clunky. I also think that given how invested in Chalice you are, you should really consider the fourth Mox and 25th land (Tabernacle!).
I think there are two issues here. The first is the idea (often espoused on this thread) that one can play "discard" Pox or "land destruction" Pox. I believe this is a mistake. Pox is by definition a deck that attacks both mana and cards in hand (as well as board position, hence my endorsement of Abrupt Decay). It requires heavy investments in both strategic axes to even be a viable, 'tier 2' deck. How does a "discard" deck beat Dredge? Aggro-Loam? Likewise, a deck exclusively focused on its opponent's manabase will never have game against storm-combo, and probably not against Show and Tell decks either. Hell, Aether Vial trumps bare LD any day. Pox is about exploiting the synergy between Black's greatest assets: mana-denial, discard, and symmetrical creature sacrifice- and tax-effects. We avoid running creatures (at least in the traditional sense) so that we can play Smallpox and the like with little inconvenience to ourselves. We run a lot of land and often run recursion so that we can pay for our own tax effects (and Smallpoxes) while locking our opponents out of the game. Most importantly, we combine discard and land destruction to prevent our opponents from making progress in the game-state. Where discard would fail against top-decks and land destruction would fail against low mana curves, together they can knock an opponent off balance early and keep them off balance for long enough to win.
The second problem is that while budgeting for Legacy is always a legitimate aspiration, creating 'budget' (read: subpar) versions of non-budget archetypes is a waste of effort. Pox is not so strong a deck that even budget versions are viable. If you want to save cash, build an archetype that is cheap by nature (Belcher, Affinity, Burn, etc.); don't neuter an expensive one. While some expensive card choices are perfectly debatable (i.e. Tabernacle), others are simply not (4 Wasteland, 4 Liliana). As much as you may tailor your list to fit your finances, the purpose of this thread is to develop our archetype to be the best it can, not the cheapest it can while being vaguely playable. Ultimately, if money is an issue, you have to decide what's more important: winning, or playing Pox. A competitive player will choose an archetype he or she can afford and build it to the nines, rather than building a cheap facsimile of a deck that is out of reach.
I don't mean to come off as a jerk, I just think most of the disagreement on these topics comes from a difference in people's reasons for playing the deck. I love Pox's play-style as much as the next [sadist magic player], but I wouldn't play it if I didn't think it was competitive. That, to me is the most important factor in any list.
Yeah, I don't know if over the long run the Chalice will work out. I figure there is a reason it is not generally used in Pox. But I thought it held some promise with Loam so I think it deserves some more play against a wide variety of decks before I can judge how well it really works or not.
I do agree that the point of Pox is to attack a lot of resources at once and gain card advantage by killing at least 3 cards with 1. The problem, obviously is that we lose our own as well. The key to Pox, I believe, is to break this symmetry. An obvious way is graveyard recursion but can be open to a lot of hate. The problem with Sinkhole/Nether Void is that the advantage of resources we have over the opponent and even getting under Void in the first place for us as well is a razor thin margin of playing a few more lands than an opponent and maybe a couple sinkholes we draw. Sometimes they just Brainstorm into it faster than us. That is why an opportunistic Crucible or Loam is a big help, but as was said before, Loam can be fools gold. I have enough problems getting my wincons Exterpated and Extracted without even using Loam or Crucible. If I can't protect it I cant depend on it. That will be the test for that. Lilliana and Top or Library helps break the Pox symmetry in our favor for the discard portion, Using few and recurring creatures and manlands helps break the creature sac portion. And Chalice or Loam helps the land sac symmetry. Big Pox still attacks a lot for one card, so I think it still has some strategic value. The reason we can be so sado-masochistic is because we can recover from it, or at least profit from it more, otherwise your margin for how you expect to win vs how opponent can recover is too small to be very viable.
Also, I have noticed that Life from the Loam and Sylvan Library have some really wierd and tricky interactions. It's gonna take some more practice to get comfortable with that.
I don't believe you come off as a jerk, however, it's been argued already in older posts that LD is considered 'unusable' in a low mana meta. Though I love my sinkholes :) You mention Dredge and Aggro Loam. Decks that don't appear in massive hordes or win at most big tournaments. Graveyard decks are big in Legacy and it is true that Discard alone doesn't cut it. I will argue that you should just run Leylines in your board and then make your discard spells the Almighty Deadly against decks that think it's ok to discard. (watch out for Madness, lol)
Technically, dependant on meta, you could replace the Sinkholes and Wasteland defaults using Cabal Pits and Smother. I lose more to the too-many-creatures situation with Pox than any other scenario. Liliana + Inquisition + Dark Ritual + Hymn to Tourach already makes fights vs. Control/Combo decks fairly simple. Since those decks are creature light usually, old fashioned Duress can be added for more auto-win.
Pox's design will easily dominate Control/Combo and feels only weak vs. Burn and Fast Aggro and GY based decks. With that in mind, I fashioned my Sideboard to cover Pox's weaknesses instead of enhancing its strengths. Pithing Needle and Ratchet Bomb work just fine in place of Abrupt Decay and Maelstrom Pulse in my games vs. Walkers, Enchants, and Artifacts.
Btw, boarding in Tombstalker is the ultimate curveball vs. most decks who side out their removal ^_^ And, you could just kill them before they do anything relevant with him.
The latest variants of my deck have been going in the wrong direction; I should not lose to Rug Delver; it was auto win I the past. Perhaps it is the lack of spot discard or innocent blood?
I have noticed delver decks cannot handle recurring creatures (fatties can be countered but not bolted) so more of those seem right. still, I would like a fatty. Nihilith is a bit awkward because I need to cast it early, at a time when I also want to cast disruption spells. I may go with Tombstalker, or a couple of Reanimate(!).
Weenie style with buried alive and jitte is also possible.
All of your deck listings have Pox trying to do something it simply isn't. Non-control. Seems to me you're trying to re-invent the wheel and be clever when in truth, Pox won't allow it. Losing to RUG Delver is SACRILEGE as a Pox player! :cry:
Discard + Land Destruction, as was discussed earlier is THE way to win in a meta that wants to run low land counts. "But decks can run on 1 land!" I will cast 3+ spells with my lands and you cast your one phucking spell... What Pox is afraid of is decks with huge land counts and graveyard recursion. Sinkhole + Wasteland or BUST in my opinion.
At this point in your Poxing research, what do you believe is now the essential Pox shell? I'm just curious.
I never consider substituting Bloodghast, smallpox, pox, darkblast or Hymn to Tourach. So those are the core I guess.
@OmniStrata,
I agree with a fellow gamers analysis: Pox is about resource denial. Some call that control, but that is merely an arbitrary classification. Resource denial OTOH is what the deck does, and answers Carsten Kötter's question; "Why I Win".
Acchieving this of course give the sense one have control of the game, but that is a mirage. Indeed, Pox have trouble keeping this state for a longer time, and lead to search for cards like nethervoid and trinisphere (which are about having permanent, rather than temporary, resource denial). Compare to Counter-top.
One can say I go for the fast winning route, rather than permanent mana denial of the trinisphere and nethervoid.
Sure, I could go the later, since they do work with landfall ability, but i prefer to go budget.
Besides, I love the challenge of making a viable deck, and learn a lot at the same time.
I guess one could liken it to surfing; trying to find a deck composition that can keep the balance and surf the tricky waves.:laugh:
LD pox
4 Sinkhole
4 Smallpox
4 liliana of the veil
4 Wasteland
4 mishra's factory
2-3 cursed scroll
1-2 nethervoids
(i didn't include the hymns because i've seen successful lists not running them, uses thoughtseize in lieu of it instead.. )
(here are the core cards of a LD pox build, here are the cards that are almost always found as a 4-of in almost every competitive LD build )
edit: in mono black LD, that is..
i do however still run pox as a 1-of or a 2-of often..i'm an advocate of using the big pox..maybe not as a 4-of..
Has the fact Bloodghast can't block cost you games? It costed me games quite badly which is why I dropped it from my list. Nether Spirit, the eternal bodyguard! ^_^
I'm curious about the Darkblast. Why run Darkblast over harder hitting permanent removal like Cursed Scroll? CS can hit players and planeswalkers as well.
i think hardcore's fondness for bloodghasts explains his attachment to darkblasts..
well, i can't disagree that they do work well together..
IMHO, i think neither should be played over the other but rather together..especially in rack pox when you're running ghasts..
i, however, won't run ghasts in a more prisonesque build..