It was originally released in Alara, so it's likely been looked at before. I'm fairly certain that PnKN is a better fit.
Printable View
It was originally released in Alara, so it's likely been looked at before. I'm fairly certain that PnKN is a better fit.
I didn't realize it was a reprint. I'm sure it's been looked at before, but not in this meta's context. You just lost your main way of dealing with Planeswalkers in a rules change, right?
Plus we got Sorcerous Spyglass.
I'm testing Najeela, the blade-blossom instead of Goblin Rabblemaster. Maybe in conjunction with, since Rabblemaster is a Warrior too.
But you're forced to attack to get any tokens...
Isn't Hanweir Garrison better?
She's better than Garrison. The Tokens trigger her as well. So she does spiral out of control quickly. For the ease of formatting, lets note the turn you play her as turn 1.
On Turn 1, She does 0 damage.
On Turn 2, She does 4 damage.
On Turn 3, She does 6 Damage.
On Turn 4, She does 10 Damage.
With Garrison, it goes
On Turn 1, They do 0 damage.
On Turn 2, They do 4 damage.
On Turn 3, They do 6 Damage.
On Turn 4, They do 8 Damage.
And Rabble goes
On Turn 1, He does 1 damage.
On Turn 2, He does 6 damage.
On Turn 3, He does 8 Damage.
On Turn 4, He does 10 Damage.
So Rabble and Najeela technically kill on the same turn on a locked board. However, Rabble does much more of his damage up front. Additionally, You can double rabble to cut a turn off the clock and you cannot double Najeela. And with the high amount of baleful strix running around, Rabble seems much better.
You can double Garrison as well, plus no worries about opposing Karakas if you're focused on damage instead of locks. And Garrison can profitably attack into creatures like Thalia, Guardian of Thraben.
Points noted (and appreciated :wink:), but I think I'd still argue Garrison is better.
Hey folks,
I wrote my first (of three) articles on Red Prison. Many of these things might be obvious to you at this point, but this is what I've learned after a couple weeks of streaming with the deck.
My concern with Karn builds is the impact on Chrome Mox (And the manabases in general, with the addition of Great Furnace). Getting Wasted off red seems rough.
"Not a specialized PW that address actual problems"
He's an easy to cast Walker that lets us dig for cards and close a game. That's better than the slot used on Hazoret (where mine goes) and likely better than the second Pia and Kiran Nalaar.
Also, thank you for using my question about mana stability to plug an "I told you so" that isn't borne out by results.
Yeah, it's real unlikely for Great Furnace to have a real downside. If you have a blood moon in play, then wasteland doesn't do it. If you don't have one in play, then it's unlikely to be targeted over the much juicier target of sol lands.
Has anyone thought of bottled cloister ?
It's a nice draw engine (bit weird with Hazoreth for sure) and allows you to keep ensnaring bridge active. As you usually "vomit" your hand, I think the risk to have your whole hand exiled is not very relevant no ?
Disagree. If you need to lay a basic into a sol-land (T1 Mountain, T2 Tomb/City) then Furnace gets you timewalked really hard. I really can't imagine Furnace being anything other than a liability; into Price of Progress as well, yikes. And that's coming from my deck - my top end is CMC 3, and I don't understand how you can manage to hit CMC 4 if you run 4 fewer basics against Wasteland. Hitting 4 mana is a big concern for Bridge builds. It's no Island, but IMO Mountain really is a champ in this deck.
Playing Great Furnace isn't drastically different than running Cavern of Souls... and versions of this deck successfully play 3-4 of those. Not looking to imply that criticism of Great Furnace isn't warranted, just that certain shells are willing to accept the downsides in order to reap the benefits.