That makes me wanna rethink my thought of running a Grafdiggers cage over the second RIP in my deck...
Printable View
That makes me wanna rethink my thought of running a Grafdiggers cage over the second RIP in my deck...
Yeah that's why I run 2 Rest in Peace. I actually rarely board in both unless it's against a dedicated GY deck. But Punishing Fire is so dangerous that it warrants (for me) 2 RIP.
Cage is still a fine card but for me, Elves isn't a matchup I'm worried about.
Nic Fit is a matchup I hate. Luckily not too many people play it. I've only really played against the Scapeshift Version and not the Explorer Pod one. I'm not even sure which one is harder to deal with. One has a combo finish, the other can generate more value.
Tonight I ran this:
4 Marsh Flats
4 Wasteland
3 Verdant Catacombs
3 Scrubland
2 Swamp
2 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
2 Windswept Heath
1 Plains
1 Bayou
4 Dark Confidant
4 Deathrite Shaman
3 Stoneforge Mystic
2 Gatekeeper of Malakir
4 Swords to Plowshares
4 Inquisition of Kozilek
3 Lingering Souls
3 Liliana of the Veil
2 Thoughtseize
2 Vindicate
2 Zealous Persecution
2 Cabal Therapy
1 Batterskull
1 Sword of Fire and ice
1 Umezawa's Jitte
2 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
2 Rest in Peace
1 Toxic Deluge
1 Gaddock Teeg
1 Surgical Extraction
1 Enlightened Tutor
1 Humility
1 Ethersworn Canonist
1 Oblivion Ring
1 Pithing Needle
1 Phyrexian Revoker
1 Grafdigger's Cage
1 Engineered Explosives
Rd. 1: ANT -- game 1 I had lots of discard, he had to go for an early Ad Nauseum and turned over Tendrils, then lost. Game 2 I had IOK, Thalia, revoker on LED-wasteland, IOK-Thoughtseize, concede. 1-0
Rd. 2: B/G rock -- game 1 I wasted and vindicated him off green mana, kept forcing him to sac creatures, eventually dropped Batterskull. Game 2 I played RIP. 2-0
Rd. 3: Elves -- game 1 I had lots of discard but little else and I couldn't keep up. Game 2 I drew Teeg the turn after he went off and grabbed Progenitus. 2-1
Rd. 4: UWR delver -- game 1 I cabal'd naming Daze, he had two stoneforges and two TNNs. Game 2 went back and forth but he eventually stuck a Batterskull on a TNN. 2-2
So I'm a little annoyed because I thought Elves and UWR delver were good matchups for me and I lost super hard to my deck in both matches. Just couldn't find what I needed. Think I'll stick with this one more week to see how it goes -- I think it's getting there.
Edit: forgot therapies in list
Such is variance. Anyone interested in one of the near infinite hatebears being printed in the new set?
I run 2 RiP. Before the event I cut one E.Tutor from the board (leaving one) for Grafdigger's because I was expecting Dredge and Elves to be out in force. I actually landed RiP against lands, but realized I ran it out way too soon. He ended up having plenty of time to find K. Grip, because while Mom is a lovely lady, even in numbers she isn't really a threat.
Oh shit I just realized why I did so poorly!
I guess everyone had already...paid their taxes.
(_)
( _)>⌐■-■
(⌐■_■)
YYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!
It makes the most sense with "must answer" critters like Bob and SFM. Aside from those two, I can't think of real impact dudes that doesn't lead to durdling or the inclusion of distraction cards (like a sac outlet to THS to exile a card and three life for BW, or exile a card wash-rinse repeat for BW*x).
ETB effects like fleshbag, Shriekmaw, Gatekeeper probably make the most sense, but seem so narrow.
Aside from the banner creatures, what other efficient citp abilities scares people from Black or White. What sac outlets (the 1/1 zombie name is blanking, mortapod[?]) are worth including in the deck, preferably with no mana to activate.
I do love that it costs 3 to play. It's a great size and cost with a unique (and flavorful) ability to get the most out of limited resources.
EDIT: I've been looking to add a god to my team italia deck, of all the W/B/R gods, this is the closest that I've actually wanted to use, but not sure how, and not sure for what.
Trying to brew up some Deadguy is modern using this god I am wondering if some of these ideas would be better in legacy with better cards. I'm starting to think that with the Athreos out casting a Tidehollow and saccing it with trigger on the stack to a Carrion Feeder or Viscera Seer, then dealing 3 or getting him straight back would be viable. I am definitely going to add at least 2 Shriekmaws to my deck if I end up with the Athreos in it. It is sad that this will be like 30 dollars because of standard, I do not want to spend that much for some janky stuff for this deck.
Was actually just discussing this guy in my list with a friend yesterday. I think he offers an interesting angle in a deck full of hatebears...99% of the time the opponent is just going to pay the life though, so he's more of a damage engine than a recurrence engine. Of course, in a deck full of 1 and 2 power guys with Vial, that might be a really good thing, but only if you can drop him early. The problem, as always, is what to take out. I'm already running a bunch of 3-ofs because I wasn't sure what the right numbers were and I didn't want to tweak anything as long as the deck kept performing really well. I guess there's some possible configuration where instead of the equipment/SFM/Crusader package to finish, there's this guy and....something?
This was purely speculation based off his ability. I think the devotion requirement is high enough that beater mode is really just a win-more, at least in my current list. For something with Liliana and Stillmoon, might be doable.
I think Artheos is best in a deck built like Sam Black's old BW Human deck, but with a Enlightened Tutor package maindeck as you can tutor for it.
I would probably cut Thalia's from the main as I don't find it that impressive right now especially in a deck without Rishadan Port. Tidehollow Sculler and Sin Collector seem very good in this kind of deck as do more sacrifice outlets.
Artheos may just be better in the RWB Zombie deck though as they would want to ETutor for Goblin Bombardment as well.
I have been testing a ton on MTGO this last week and have come to a lot of conclusions about the deck, I may write something up later depending on how much time I have. I am about 100% that Dark Confidant is overrated and that anything less than 4 Stoneforge Mystic or 4 Lingering Souls is just incorrect. Which means I am beginning to think Cabal Therapy is a better sideboard card than I had been giving it credit, though I think Duress is still probably better in the current metagame where Storm is much more popular than Sneak and Show.
Think its a trap building arround the god working everytime and should rather see as a bonus. Kinda do want the guy going online rather, he kinda demand a quite heavy permanent based build.