Finally happened, I did my first legacy event ever!
Not sure if a 7 person LGS event qualifies as a tournament report, but here you go nonetheless. This is the ONLY store that does legacy in the greater KC area, if that tells you about the health of the format around here. After the advice presented on this threat (many thanks) settled on the below list. Turned out very similar to Hardcore's list.
the deck:
11
Swamp4
Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth4
wasteland3
polluted delta2
bloodstained mire4
pox4
smallpox4
inquisition of kozilek4
hymn to tourach4
innocent blood4
liliana of the veil4
bloodghast4
shrieking affliction3
gurmag angler1
liliana, the last hope
Board:
2
extirpate3
collective brutality4
leyline of the void3
bitterblossom3
pithing needle
Surgicals are on the way, so no need to comment on that re my sideboard. Based on some of the combo I saw I would like to up that to 4 sugricals and drop the cobru, maybe. I put in CoBru thinking i'd see burn and took out the lost legacy and should have left those in for a combo deck I ran into. But I avoided the burn player that was there so who knows.
Practice game while we waited for people to show up vs WG enchantress (with a karakas/Emrakul and RiP/Helm finish plan).
Normal early trades. He'd land an enchantress, draw a card or two, then I'd small pox/Iblood them away. He drops a suppression field and I forget to fetch in response, which slows down my lili's until he can O-ring one. Meanwhile ghast is doing it's thing, but the well starts to run dry and only deliver lands once I get hellbent. He drops a second suppression field to choke off almost anything else and wound up getting his karakas and Emrakul in play to finish me off.
Then the business started. Round 1 vs Alex. Not sure what he is on ("something weird" per him). He mulls to 4 and keeps. I have no idea what that means but he must have kept a no lander (I didn't know). I see an opening 7 of fetchand + 6 business, so I mull and keep a urborg and 5 business and scry a hymn to the bottom. I pull enough lands off the top so we are good. He draws for 2 or 3 turns, but eventually he goes land, wild growth, then enchantress on the following turn. For some reason I had him on manaless dredge and didn't want to fill his yard so I held back. In hindsight that was a stupid idea, plus I could have cast my inquisition and "chose" nothing if that was the case, so misplay there on my end but it didn't matter. Soon as that enchantress hit I small poxed her away and he conceded to move to game 2, since he mulled so deep and was so far behind anyway.
Game 2, started off with IOK taking elephant grass (saw an enchantress but knew I could take her out before any real advantage is had). She comes down his t2, but I small pox her away. T3 I hymn and get some stuff, then drop a shrieking affliction. Big pox weakens him and wrecks the board and hand, blood ghast finishes off. 2-0 games, 1-0 rounds.
Round 2, Scott on Amulet Bloom.
I watched him play a side game with the above gentleman after the first round, and tried to speed learn the amulet deck in the event I played against him later (I had never seen it before and obviously i got paired). I am on the play, and turn 1 IoK an amulet of Vigor away. Turn two hymn gets a summoner's pact and land, turn 3 smallpox followed by 4th turn gurmag angler and lili OTV after that to seal it.
Game 2 I iok something turn 1 but I can't read my notes, then he does some ancient stirring to find a land. I small pox and he must have drawn one of those Baloths that comes in and nets him 4 life if I make him discard. He also summoner's pacts and Azusa, but doesn't have enough to cast. I innocent blood away the scary 4/4 and get a ghast out for some hits and a LOTV out for the Azusa, but he eventually finds a primeval titan with haste to get rid of Lili, and I can't get anything to get rid of it, then he does his combo off to put all the titans into play and give them all haste and trample and double strike if he wants.
Sideboard - out 1 Lili, last hope, 3 big pox. +2 pithing needle, + 2 extirpate (hoping to get him to discard a titan/pact and then get rid of it, needle was for Slayer stronghold, not sure if that was a good move or if I was being too cute).
Game 3
T1 Iok to get the Azusa, but I see he has that pesky Baloth and I have a hand of 2 hymns and not much else. I get the needle out for his Slayer Stronghold. We pass back and forth a bit. I draw a small pox and i think I can now hymn him and follow up with small pox to get rid of the baloth, but i forgot the small detail that he had 2 other creatures out. so I screwed the pooch bad on that one, but he had drawn a second one and was down to 3 cards, so i was going to see one regardless. He gets his pact for the Ruric Thar and All I can muster is a blood ghast and he ain't blocking shit, so lost that round. Made the misplay, but it wouldn't have mattered, I didn't have it that game.
I asked him after the match if I had made any misplays for learning purposes, and he said i had 2-3 turns where any pox effect or wasteland would have won it by putting him too far out of reach in the second game. So good to know that was a very winnable matchup.
1-1 rounds, 3-2 games.
Round 3 vs Steven on what I would describe as a midrange timmy stompy deck.
I opened up game one with a triple (!!) hymn after a turn 1 IoK. Got an affliction in, then a ghast, then an angler. Never stood a chance.
Game 2 was just as filthy, with Iok, Hymn, small pox, hymn again, then ghast, and lili OTV to seal it. He only played land and a single mindslaver (?) both rounds I think. And a 4cc rampant growth type card once or twice but that was it. His deck was full of platinum angel, darksteel colosus type cards so he basically had little to do until he got his cloudposts out, which isn't a good plan vs pox.
Other decks there that i didn't play: burn, and a guy on at least BWU, with baleful strix and DRS (He didn't know they were banned so he replaced them with something from his board... no idea what the deck was though).
Did well enough to cut top 4 (out of 7....) being 2-1 and got 8.75 in store credit from my $5 buy in. Look out Vintage, here i come!
All in all, I think I played fairly well given that most decisions were straight forward. Not sure I sideboarded properly in round 2 (the only one I boarded anything). Surgicals are in the mail as we speak. Lost legacy probably would have shut down my round two opponent if I could get the pacts out. I can deal with 1 titan, I can't deal with 4. He had a few other creatures but nothing that would have comboed out I don't think.
Much thanks to the people on this thread for the help, sorry it was a week late, had to wait for more cards to come in before considering it finished.
Also, didn't miss the factories, and the wastelands were fine this week. Saw main deck RIP in both enchantress decks, but nothing major in the way of outright grave hate, but no graveyard decks either. And feedback welcomed.