Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices and Reprints Thread
I can`t believe Grove is $90. The mana base alone for Punishing Jund has broken the $1400 mark. The reason I bring that up is that I have everything for that deck but Wastelands, Groves and some of the duals plus some small stuff, so I`m tracking those, but now... It`s just too much. Every time I`m considering building a deck or contemplating picking up some card, and I decide on waiting, its price is a little further out of reach the next time I check. On one hand it always feels like the best part to pick something up is always last month, which is good incentive to get stuff asap, which gets people into the game... but on the other hand, you have to wonder when players start deciding that this shit is just too far out of hand and pass on that deck they wanted to build, and with that maybe eschew the whole format. When you think about it, it`s pretty insane that Legacy is still attracting new players at the current prices, but the format is growing healthily where I live. I guess people have purchasing power these days. Me, I feel like I`m mostly done getting new stuff. Buying things used to be a fun part of it, you get to scratch that shopping kick with lots of small purchases and you have fun finding the right edition, trading for stuff and so on. But now I`m just sick of it, I`m tired of tracking prices and being forced into the speculator subgame to not make horrible purchases, sales or trades. I`ll keep, tune and update the few competitive decks I have and love (one for Legacy, one plus a backup for Modern), and as long as I have something viable to play and I`m not sick of it, I`m not going to pour more money into this game. It makes me kind of sad, because I like trying out different decks, but when trying out something new can cost you four figures, it`s just too much. I think that these prices make people stick more with the same deck(s) over time. It`s been like that for Legacy for a long time, but I think we`ll be seeing that for Modern too as that format keeps getting more expensive by the month.
Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices and Reprints Thread
People are probably realizing that for the price of a tier 1 modern deck you can build basically any non blue, non lands deck in legacy. And your most expensive cards besides probably Goyf are reserve list cards.
Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices and Reprints Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Megadeus
People are probably realizing that for the price of the most expensive tier 1 modern deck you can build most non blue, non lands deck in legacy. And your most expensive cards besides probably Goyf are reserve list cards.
Fixed in bold for correctness. Not trying to undermine your post, because I actually think that you do have a fair and valid point, but most competitive non-blue Legacy decks barring a few notable exceptions (burn, affinity, dredge) seem to start at around the $1700 and go up from there, while most competitive Modern decks are between $600 and $1200, the most expensive ones being Jund/Junk at $1700-1900.
Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices and Reprints Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Havrekjex
Fixed in bold for correctness. Not trying to undermine your post, because I actually think that you do have a fair and valid point, but most competitive non-blue Legacy decks barring a few notable exceptions (burn, affinity, dredge) seem to start at around the $1700 and go up from there, while most competitive Modern decks are between $600 and $1200, the most expensive ones being Jund/Junk at $1700-1900.
This is pretty accurate. Modern is only actually super expensive if you play BGx or to a lesser extent the blue shell with Snapcasters. Most of the combo and aggro decks (at least the ones without Goyf) are much cheaper because shells in Modern don't overlap the way they do in Legacy.
Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices and Reprints Thread
All I read was that the average value of the last opens top 8 was something like $1350
Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices and Reprints Thread
Drafted mm2 last week. It was utter shit.
Tez, blue command, Eldrazi Temple, conf, kozilek (it's that right) and few other shits. Think it was 150$ worth all in all
Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices and Reprints Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by
swoop
Drafted mm2 last week. It was utter shit.
Tez, blue command, Eldrazi Temple, conf, kozilek (it's that right) and few other shits. Think it was 150$ worth all in all
Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
??? wtf are you trying to say? You said it was shit but that it was worth $150? surely the draft was less than $150... so you came out ahead?
Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices and Reprints Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by
apple713
??? wtf are you trying to say? You said it was shit but that it was worth $150? surely the draft was less than $150... so you came out ahead?
It sounds like he's saying his draft pool was shit...
Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices and Reprints Thread
8*3 boosters and it was terrible. (I won it, but still, looking at price of boosters it was not satisfying.)
For the price we could have 3x drafts of recent editions
Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices and Reprints Thread
In other words: Cracking pack is poor EV.
Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices and Reprints Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Quasim0ff
In other words: Cracking pack is poor EV.
And anyway, i'm pretty sure that the ratio between the pack price and the pack value is in favor of MM2 if you compare it to BFZ :)
Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices and Reprints Thread
But, triple fun, exp, learning curve. And so on. Anyways it wasn't that much fun opening the black clique or that gr dragon :)
Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices and Reprints Thread
I am genuinely starting to enjoy what they are doing to Modern with the price spikes. It's getting hilarious: https://www.magiccardmarket.eu/Produ...ion/Mindslicer
Foils starting at 200€, you know, almost the price of foil goyf..
:laugh::laugh::laugh:
Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices and Reprints Thread
200$ to empty the control player's hand and get a thragtusk on a pod activation!! IT'S WORTH THE VALUE!! (or not).
Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices and Reprints Thread
This is obviously not based on anything solid. Card has seen exactly zero play.
Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices and Reprints Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Hopo
This is obviously not based on anything solid. Card has seen exactly zero play.
I guess in commander in Grindy BG decks where you empty your hand quickly because you're ramping with dorks or mana rocks and you can sac it easily, it is played :) --> that's why it's a 2$ card.
Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices and Reprints Thread
In other news: Jayemdae Tome (UNL) is €75 card.
Stay with us to learn more. But now Rey with weather forecast.
Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices and Reprints Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Bed Decks Palyer
In other news: Jayemdae Tome (UNL) is €75 card.
Stay with us to learn more. But now Rey with weather forecast.
Hah! I was checking out Tome today too. It's had two jumps to get to where it is now. It jumped to $50 (iirc) in 2014, then to it's current price when Oath was released.
Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices and Reprints Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Bed Decks Palyer
In other news: Jayemdae Tome (UNL) is €75 card.
Stay with us to learn more. But now Rey with weather forecast.
Just how popuar is 93/94? Only way I can rationalize that price when revised printings are like $0.5 and the card has multiple foil printings to draw any EDH interest.
Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices and Reprints Thread
I don't think it is popular enough to justify the price... I suspect Pauper has a larger player base.