Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices and Reprints Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by
KindGrind
There's an insane amount of pressure on AN City of Brass these days, especially NM ones, but the beat up will follow suit eventually.
This is another interesting area of collection - beat up cards. If you are playing in 9394 why would you care about having NM cities? There is an authenticity about playing old, beat up cards and 9394 is the format for that. Really heavy play cards are often more popular/commented on than EX condition cards.
Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices and Reprints Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Lysandros
It doesn't take much to turn 93/94 into 95 by introducing Ice Age and Homelands. Then 96, and so on. The format probably loses some of its nostalgia (and certainly it's innocence) with Urza's Block (if not Alliances). Then there's Old School Commander, etc. it doesn't take much to mix it up. JMO, but I'm convinced it's got staying power as a "thing," at least as far as demand for original printings of old cards are concerned
If I'd be to play any kind of so-called Old School "format", I'd try to play with a rule "one new set per year". So yes, I'd play solely with ABU+Nights until December. It might be pretty silly and boring, but considering that I'd have time for about ten evenings of MtG until that date, it won't be THAT boring.
Or, maybe the 93-95 would be better. There are of additional cards, with some amazing mana fixing options (painlands, Glaciers), especially if we'd allow APO painlands for the sake of balance. (There's nothing wrong with five additional lands; those should have been in Ice Age, not the Veldt nonsense.)
With ABU-Alliances you got many of cheap and good new cards. The nostalgia factor is not that affected, unless you started in 93/4 and had the best time back then. The color green is still kinda shitty (it will be until at least Mirage, if not until Visions), but at least you can build some silly Storm Cauldron + Fastbond deck and you got loads of cheap LD, some additional removal (Dark Ban, Reprisal), a semi-viable graveyard decks (Nether Shadow + Ice Age Ghoul), some kind of silly reanimator (Mind Bomb, Deep Spawn, 8x Animate Dead), traditional RG Beats with solid number of bolts, GWillowGeddon, monoblack/white knights, Sacrificial Dance of the Collosus of Drain Life, whatever else.
Even Stasis.
I'd love that format, but alas, it won't happen.
Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices and Reprints Thread
I think the 93/94 format looks fun and interesting, but there`s just no way I`m sticking to the edition rule. I get the original intent, I really do, but paying $83 a piece for an otherwise unplayable card like Erhnam Djinn is just not something I can bring myself to do when the Chronicles edition costs $0.2. Even something like a set of Unlimited Armageddon costs Tarmogoyf money while a Revised set can be had for $10. And don`t get me started on Unlimited duals. I have the dough, but that`s not at all how I want to spend it. This has a ripple effect when considering if I should get into the format. Do I bother to build the deck and spend money on the cards I need that don`t have cheap reprints and/or have non-artificial value if I won`t be able to play in proper tournaments? Maybe not. I absolutely think that they should open up, officially, for playing Revised and Chronicles reprints of cards that are in the legal sets if they want their format to survive and grow. Then again, maybe opening up the format and making it widely popular is not their intent at all.
Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices and Reprints Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Havrekjex
Then again, maybe opening up the format and making it widely popular is not their intent at all.
If by "them" you mean the original Swedes, then yes, they're not interested. Their choice, and I understand why they've chosen that.
Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices and Reprints Thread
The issues with 93/94 can be easily fixed. The Swedes invented it, so even though it's a completely casual format, there will be a psychological expectation of people to play by the 'official' Swedish rules, sort of like how in reality most EDH playgroups stick to the official banlist. If there'd still be an invitational, WotC would have to simply include something like 93/94 on the agenda, and allow reprints of the cards. Instantaneously, the 'official' rules as seen by the playerbase will be those of WotC, even if they'd never touch the format again afterwards (kind of like how Cursed Scroll is still banned from Tempest block tournaments, even though those haven't been organized in 19 years). Even a single tournament as side event on a legacy GP would do, probably. It'd prevent further inflation of a good chunk of the secondary market.
Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices and Reprints Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by
sjmcc13
Ya, I do not know if I should be hopeful of this, or dreading it.
I bought a 4 Japanese boxes (tentacle monsters need to be Japanese, not English) and pulled a foil Thought-Knot, Mimic and Reshaper from them. Now I do not know if I should buy foil Japanese playsets or sell those 3 cards...
Well, I am not one for Japanese cards. Do you really want to play the deck? If so, I'd say go for it now. If you don't really, then I'd move them, you can always pick up non-foil ones easily post-Modern ban.
Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices and Reprints Thread
Really, do we really need wizard to step in and say: "Hey, guys, we printed this card so you can play it. And if someone says otherwise, just change friends."
People are just accepting this for no reason.
Inviato dal mio LG-D605 utilizzando Tapatalk
Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices and Reprints Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Spam
Really, do we really need wizard to step in and say: "Hey, guys, we printed this card so you can play it. And if someone says otherwise, just change friends."
People are just accepting this for no reason.
Inviato dal mio LG-D605 utilizzando Tapatalk
Yes, we do, because yes, they do. Man is a pathetic herd creature.
Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices and Reprints Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Havrekjex
I think the 93/94 format looks fun and interesting, but there`s just no way I`m sticking to the edition rule. I get the original intent, I really do, but paying $83 a piece for an otherwise unplayable card like Erhnam Djinn is just not something I can bring myself to do when the Chronicles edition costs $0.2. Even something like a set of Unlimited Armageddon costs Tarmogoyf money while a Revised set can be had for $10. And don`t get me started on Unlimited duals. I have the dough, but that`s not at all how I want to spend it. This has a ripple effect when considering if I should get into the format. Do I bother to build the deck and spend money on the cards I need that don`t have cheap reprints and/or have non-artificial value if I won`t be able to play in proper tournaments? Maybe not. I absolutely think that they should open up, officially, for playing Revised and Chronicles reprints of cards that are in the legal sets if they want their format to survive and grow. Then again, maybe opening up the format and making it widely popular is not their intent at all.
Not sure how it is in Europe, but every get together in North America i have seen goes by the Eternal Central rules list, which includes FE, and is fine with reprints and FBB.
I've got a Oldschool deck that i'm going to be playing with at GP Toronto (we're trying to get a side event going). It's like 90% "real" but i'm not interested in getting unlimited Duals for it, i've had my duals since 94, screw anyone who says that isn't old enough. The rest is just for aesthetics and pimp factor and cause it hasn't cost me much at all.
Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices and Reprints Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by
ReAnimator
Not sure how it is in Europe, but every get together in North America i have seen goes by the Eternal Central rules list, which includes FE, and is fine with reprints and FBB.
I've got a Oldschool deck that i'm going to be playing with at GP Toronto (we're trying to get a side event going). It's like 90% "real" but i'm not interested in getting unlimited Duals for it, i've had my duals since 94, screw anyone who says that isn't old enough. The rest is just for aesthetics and pimp factor and cause it hasn't cost me much at all.
Yea we play 93/94 here as well, and revised in totally allowed. There is no way now people could afford the Swedes rules, plus those rules they made were when the older cards were MUCH cheaper. Compare prices to 2007 and its not even close.... and we also allow FBB.
Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices and Reprints Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by
ReAnimator
Not sure how it is in Europe, but every get together in North America i have seen goes by the Eternal Central rules list, which includes FE, and is fine with reprints and FBB.
I've got a Oldschool deck that i'm going to be playing with at GP Toronto (we're trying to get a side event going). It's like 90% "real" but i'm not interested in getting unlimited Duals for it, i've had my duals since 94, screw anyone who says that isn't old enough. The rest is just for aesthetics and pimp factor and cause it hasn't cost me much at all.
In NorCal, we have our own list (different from EC), but we do also allow Revised, Chronicles, Fallen Empires, and FBB. And quite frankly, I don't think any of us care as long as reprints are old frame and original picture (I've even played a 4th Edition Verduran Enchantress, though admittedly it was a pimpish color error one).
Speaking of which, we just had an event a couple days ago (lots of pics for those into that sort of thing).
Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices and Reprints Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by
aahz
In NorCal, we have our own list (different from EC), but we do also allow Revised, Chronicles, Fallen Empires, and FBB. And quite frankly, I don't think any of us care as long as reprints are old frame and original picture (I've even played a 4th Edition Verduran Enchantress, though admittedly it was a pimpish color error one).
Speaking of which,
we just had an event a couple days ago (lots of pics for those into that sort of thing).
Thanks for sharing this - beautiful decks inside. I see you also allow 4x Black Vise, which makes UR pretty devastating! I also notice Tourach isn't restricted (some group do restrict it) - I'd absolutely be rocking that Deadguy Ale pile the front runner was playing in a Tourach-friedly meta. This is what I'm talking about - some people going all out with their Beta duals and Power, and others rocking their RV Duals. Excellent day of MTG it must have been!
Side note: so many Howling Mines... No wonder they're getting pretty hard to come by... =)
Side note #2: that blue mana-screw deck is a feast for the eyes.... Tabernacle overkill (!)
Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices and Reprints Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by
aahz
Sweet! thanks for the share.
Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices and Reprints Thread
Petrified Field just doubled in price; is it some sort of speculative anti-Wasteland tech for Legacy Eldrazi builds? Or is it just another crazy buyout?
Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices and Reprints Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Jamaican Zombie Legend
Petrified Field just doubled in price; is it some sort of speculative anti-Wasteland tech for Legacy Eldrazi builds? Or is it just another crazy buyout?
Maybe the idea is that the card is crappy enough to not be reprinted ever, but otoh everybody needs it for T1 dredge? Is it RL?
Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices and Reprints Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Bed Decks Palyer
Is it RL?
Odyssey, so nope. But how would it be better than CoW as anti-LD tech?
Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices and Reprints Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Bed Decks Palyer
Maybe the idea is that the card is crappy enough to not be reprinted ever, but otoh everybody needs it for T1 dredge? Is it RL?
Rebuys bazzars and landfall triggers for days.
Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices and Reprints Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Jamaican Zombie Legend
Petrified Field just doubled in price; is it some sort of speculative anti-Wasteland tech for Legacy Eldrazi builds? Or is it just another crazy buyout?
Guess I'm glad I have one for random EDH decks and such...but this sort of thing is getting more than a little ridiculous.
Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices and Reprints Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by
phonics
Rebuys bazzars and landfall triggers for days.
It's been begging to be broken for a long time. Only needs one other card (and two fields) to get a kill from an infinite recursion. Half or the theoretical combo is free.
Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices and Reprints Thread
Gods, I have four of those unsleeved in a pile from when I was playing Dredge in Vintage. Really, that is the only place I have ever seen it used. In Legacy I would rather Pithing Needle, Crucible or Loam over this. The only use I can see for it is countering DRS.