Originally Posted by
Kap'n Cook
So with new Karn on the horizon, I wanted to jot down some of my thoughts over the past couple weeks. I guess I'll post what I think I will start testing first:
4 Ancient Tomb
3 City of Traitors
3 Bloodstained Mire
2 Wooded Foothills
3 Plateau
3 Mountain
2 Great Furnace
4 Lotus Petal
1 Simian Spirit Guide
1 Lion's Eye Diamond
4 Imperial Recruiter
4 Painter's Servant
3 Goblin Welder
2 Ethersworn Canonist
1 Walking Ballista
3 Grindstone
1 Ensnaring Bridge
1 Blood Moon
4 Pyroblast
2 Red Elemental Blast
3 Enlightened Tutor
3 Smuggler's Copter
3 Karn, the Great Creator
Sideboard:
1 Grindstone
1 Mycosynth Lattice
2 Tormod's Crypt
1 Engineered Explosives
1 Pithing Needle/Sorcerous Spyglass
1 Ethersworn Canonist
1 Ensnaring Bridge
1 Duplicant
1 Wurmcoil Engine
1 Magus of the Moon
4 Random Test Spots
A quick few notes and assumptions about the board:
0) I like the look of the main a lot more than the side at the moment. As with any overhaul, the sideboard is completely in flux, especially if it's a wishboard now.
1) I am building this with the expectation that the new mulligan rule doesn't stay in legacy. I personally don't think it's a smart decision to keep the new rule, but we're talking about Wizards so anything is possible. So with that in mind, I wanted to go with a minimal yard hate list of two crypts since they can still be found game 1, and sideboard you get to bring one in and leave on in the board for E-tutor and Karn coverage. We won't know the state of graveyard decks and how much hate we'll need til the summer anyways.
2) The random test spots are for artifacts I am not sure about and want to see how they perform with Karn. At the end of the day, I plan on fitting in 4 Pyroclasm since it is so good against a large portion of the meta, especially the new UR delver lists.
3) Magus in the board? This is directly tied to testing out the maindeck LED, which I'll expand on further later. Basically having a secondary Moon effect in the 75 has always felt pretty good.
4) Grindstone side? Extra grindstones are usually the worst draw in the deck, and making it so we have a functional 10 copies main between all of our tutors should be an easy way to create another maindeck slot
5) Duplicant/Wurmcoil. 6 mana bombs for a variety of matchups.
For the main:
1) 20th Land. The extra for me will start as the second great furnace. In my initial lists this was a Mox Opal, but I don't think we run enough artifacts to reliably turn it on. I think we will want more mana to compensate for Karn's fatness, and another great furnace helps on both the casting him side and making sure the sideboard bombs resolve with Welder's help. I plan on seeing whether this spot should be another Monkey, LED, the 4th City, or just something different altogether.
2) Lion's Eye Diamond. I was only ever running this as a one-of toward the tail end of the Top era, but it was a complete bomb. I think revisiting it in this new build will help. Obviously it helps our nut draw and enables turn 2 welder shenanigans, but independent of that I am really excited to try out LED as a tutor target for Karn lines. I can envision a lot of games where we cast Karn, play LED, and grab bridge to instantly lock out combat. The follow up turn we can get another activation out of Karn for something like Lattice and still have him live at one loyalty. LED also helps to enable some all-in Recruiter lines, and can cast Magus of the Moon or Canonist in postboard games.
3) 2 Canonists/6 Blasts. I am still a really big fan of Canonist. I know others have reduced the numbers recently, I just like how it completely warps the game in our favor while also providing an easy way to steal game 1s against Storm. I feel like going to 2 is okay because Karn's passive overlaps as hate against Combo, while also giving us the ability to just grab another from the board if need be. I have kept this at 6 blasts to start just because I am comfortable with it and play Shortcake more as a stack based deck. I could see going to 3 Canonist/5 Blast if testing leans that way.
4) 3 Tutor/3 Karn. Full access to our entire 75 at all times. It also allows us to create some wiggle room where if we need an artifact asap, it can always be boarded in to be found faster with tutor/natural drawing. To create space for Karn, i think it was a simple chop of Cratermaker, maindeck EE, and the 4th copter. Dropping creatures matters less because this Karn still crews copter by himself. He also allows us to chop the chalice hate since he handles that too. The only downside is that our Delver matchup gets worse as our curve rises and cheap removal leaves the main, but I am hopeful that it won't matter too much and that pyroclasm will cover those bases.
5) 4 Painter main vs 3/1. This could be wrong. Natural Painter is one of our best plays, especially with all the blasts. Waiting to grab one with Karn seems slow, especially when 95% of the time recruiter grabs Painter and a lot of E-tutors do too. Karn just helps get the ones back that have already tanked a STP. I'll watch this one closely as well.
6) White splash. I know people have been talking about whether white is needed or not anymore. I think Karn fits in both decks. White will still be faster and more flexible, while lacking the brute force and mana stability of mono-red. That was the case before too and I don't really see that changing. Really comes down to preferred playstyle. It's similar to how Painted Stone is the pure combo version of Shortcake, mono-red is the super resilient Shortcake.
Some other random thoughts that aren't necessarily about the above 75:
1) Grim Lavamancer gets better with Karn. You can create the most ghetto Goblin Welder of all time by removing artifacts from your yard with Lavaman and then wishing them back to your hand with Karn. Lavaman can also kill random cheap artifacts like Needle after Karn turns them into a creature. For now I still like Ballista as it can be found by rec/etutor, shoot right away, and be welded.
2) Grindstone becomes a beater. I've always wanted a Magus of the Stone. This will do for now.
3) Karn grabbing Lattice and then plus-ing gives you a 6/6 beater to either win the game or buy time against stuff like an already in play Goyf/Angler and ensure the lock stays in place.
4) I still despise Chalice and Counterbalance. Karn should help out big time against both, but if they are still a huge pain adding back Hedge-Mage as the recruitable option might be the play.
I also wanted to come up with a quick list of other artifacts that could work their way into the board. Thanks to Hollywood's recent post too for some gems.
In no particular order:
1) Great Furnace
2) Pyrite Spellbomb
3) Grafdigger's Cage
4) Mindslaver
5) Bubble Matrix
6) Trinisphere
7) Phryexian Metamorph
8) Umezawa's Jitte
9) Slash Panther
10) Spellskite
11) Winter Orb
12) Phyrexian Revoker
13) Ratchet Bomb
14) Witchbane Orb
15) Caltrops
I still need to comb through the old threads to find other potential options, and also do a deep dive on gatherer.
Anyways, this post is pretty all over the place, but I wanted to try to narrow down an approach for playing Karn and I feel like this list is a decent starting point. Karn comes out the first week of May, and then I'll be out of the country for 10 days in the middle, but after that the testing will commence. I'll definitely fire the stream back up, and we'll be stomping in no time.