Originally Posted by
Antonius
The benefits of Valakut is simply this: you win a lot faster, you can win without controlling the board, and you can win without ever leaving the safety of your chasm. Put simply, once you have Loam and a Manabond, it takes, on average, 3 turns to win. You can sit under a chasm, paying an irrelevant sum of life every upkeep, while setting up the win. The first target with Tolaria West is either Zuran Orb (for recurring mountains) or Vesuva (to start crossing over multiple chasms) After that, its simply a matter of getting 3 mountains in hand and discarding them into play for 18 damage.
I experimented with Burning Wish in this build and found it to be so-so. Assault out of the board was not as good as I had hoped; today, I'm going to play a different build that eschews burning wish for a fourth color (black) and replace the Assaults with Meloku/Volrath's Stronghold. I think im going to run a set of bobs in place of the wishboard. All other hate/anti-hate cards remain the same.