I also have 4 chalices. :) my winrate with those matches significantly increases with Leyline.
Those along with TES and ANT are the matches im very cautious of.
Printable View
Hi guys,
im new to this deck. im planning on leaving the eldrazi camp. Does anybody have a sideboardguide for me?
thank you!
the whole Not of This World thing main, makes the least sense for an outsider. Why whould you play a card that is blank in more than +/- 70% of your matches?
and why the chalices over thorns? the deck has infinite 1 drops
No sb guide because the ild one was out of date. Also there are alot of variations of sideboards so having a sinple guide wouldnt be that iseful.
Not of this world is equivalent to running force of will / counterspells in a combo combo deck like high tide or sneak and show. Traditional combo decks have to worry about successfully casting a spell to win so they need a counterspell to push it through and make sure it resolves. In dark depths our combo is basically uncounterable because you cant really prevent a land drop, so our equivalent would be having the token removed from the game. Since counterspells cant target abilities, not of this world does exactly that. Although counter spells can prevent things like of swords to plowshares it Missed cards like maze of ith and karakas. Notw also stops flicker wisp. Although it might not seem that useful because it is wasted in a lot of matches the matches where it's not needed are generally easy and you can afford to have a dead card in your deck because you already have good matchup versus them .
Thanks for that
do you guys sometimes board out the steppen and/or the bog? because the landcount is already low i.m.o.
Hi guys,
Build the deck, played in a local event last week and will play in one this Friday.
I play the Turbo variant, 3 ITN, 3 Needle, 3 NOTW, 4 ESG, no BoB's or DRS.
Just before the general acknowledgement that Steely Resolve is a 'bad' card, I bought a couple to test them out. So (if I get them by mail) I would like to put one in the side or even one main. If not, I put the 4th NotW in the side.
Point is, steely resolves provides a semi-permanent NotW, with the downside that you can't use sejirre steppe any more. But in a matchup against D&T, where they have multiple answers, isn't a 'permanent' solution against there answers better that a one time shot with NotW? I would still keep them in. To kill/stop or token then they need an answer AND they need to be able to vial in flickerwisp. And even then, we could still have a NotW in hand as backup.
Or am I completly wrong? Because I heard Negator say that in this matchup he waits for the opening. In that case, I would asume Steely Resolve definitly has value.
What do you guys think?
Btw, last week I played 2-2, winning against ghostbusters (was tight, try to go of 2 times without protection and got Sworded and with the hexproof, flying, flash creatures, it wasn't easy to get through), winning against UR Burn (token turn 2 and turn 3)
Losing against Miracles, good game, but game 3 I had an answer for Blood Moon one, but couldn't assemble the combo before the second Moon hit. And then it was over to recover. Lost 1-2
Losing to infect (0-2) discarded a infecter (should have picked the brainstorm), could assemble the combo turn 3, but then I could not play my discard. But I know what he had in his hand and normally coudln't kill me, thanks to the BS he went off turn 3. Game 2, I could assemble the combo turn 3, he went off in turn 2... I already mulled the second game to 6 to find discard/removal/better hand, maybe should have gone to 5 to have an answer, the 6 was a good hand to go off (with protection) but no disruption.
So I blame it all on the pilot :-D This Friday hopefully I keep it together and don't play so risky (which I did all evening)
Which is why there are 4 pithing needles in the 75.
In practice matches on MTGO I have a pretty high win percentage now. However, what kills me quickly is when wasteland + loam come together. With punishing loam being a deck these days, I seem to run into that a bit. I am debating using Leyline just to hedge against reanimator, dredge and loam decks or things like delver with snaps and fish.
@Noloam
I think I just played you on MTGO. Those were good games. Made lots of mistakes. I think if I scryed for a karakas, and then crop rotated into depths I could have baited you, but those 3 NOFW were murder.
Keep in mind that Steppe doesn't really count as a mana-producing land (despite it giving you a colorless, essentially) since it comes into play tapped and only taps for white. If you side out Steppe you don't really need to worry about compensating for it with another land.
Just 4-1'd another league with this deck after putting it down for a while (for school, not for another deck).
R1: Miracles
Lost game 1 (pretty convinced that G1 is unfavorable). Won a quick G2 but G3 dragged out and opponent set up Clique + Karakas to semi-lock me out.
R2: Manaless Dredge
Essentially a bye. G1 Needle, in response he Phantasmagorians, after that resolves I name Phantasmagorian and then rotate for bog. I combo two turns later. Similiar affair in G2 where I keep Hexmage, Swamp, Petal, Depths, Stage, Scrying, Ghost Quarter. I figure I'm going to be on the play, so I can turn 1 Hexmage and stop Bridges, turn 2 combo, turn 3 ghost quarter myself to scrying for sejiri steppe to get through Narcomoebas. He whiffs off his first dredge and dies.
R3: Miracles (same opponent)
G1 was pretty easy, Not of This World doing work here. Ghost Quarter was Strip Mine because the opponent wanted to keep his top 3 cards. G2 I Needle top, then Chalice for 1, then play land go for a few turns. I am better at playing land go than he is, and he dies with 2 StP in his hand.
Current sideboard plan for this matchup: -8 discard -1 Bog -1 fast mana +4 Chalice +4 Decay +1 Ancient Tomb +1 Needle (the 4th one)
R4: Burn
Pretty easy 2-0, very little tactical strategy here except playing around Price of Progress and bolt on Hexmage.
R5: Maverick
G1 he plays turn 2 Thalia, but I have turn 2 combo with Hexmage anyway. He plays Wasteland. But then I unveil my ace in the hole: Stage to get around his Wasteland. Then at his endstep I tap my three lands to try to combo. He draws a card with Horizon Canopy, lets my combo happen, then Swords on my guy. In response I pitch spirit guide to Not of This World his thing, and he complains.
G2 I win on my opponent's turn 1.
My friends were around when I was playing this league. They suggested I cut the 3 Not of This World to get 3 Sylvan Library in the main because casting that turn 1 is big game in almost any matchup. While this is correct, Not of This World won me 2 games and was relevant in the other match against Miracles because he had to take it with Vendilion Clique to stop me from countering his Karakas.
They also suggested Loam, but I'm not ready to jump into that deck yet. Then I probably start needing things like Wasteland or Exploration or something.
Would you mind posting your list? I am curious about the ancient tomb and how you worked it into your deck.
I am debating on putting a tabernacle in the 75, and not sure what our flex spots are. Based off of some other posts, I am also thinking about dropping 2 duress for 2 Library's.
Also, I think we need to get a SBing guide together as well as needle targets.
This may have solved something that was puzzling me. I also played against Manaless Dredge on Thursday night and he straight up conceded the match after game 1. I've never had that happen in a league match. I just thought he must have been really pissed about something. I guess possibly hitting depths back to back might do that. It has to be the most lopsided match-up I've ever seen in Legacy. Tons of land tutors and Bog are total blowouts and even the random discard spells are all essentially time walks. Hexmage removing bridges (while creating marit Lage) if they manage to dodge the graveyard hate is just the icing.
My main configuration is pretty different from what you are running, so I'm not sure it will be all that helpful. My pre Conspiracy plan is -4 Mox Diamond, -1 Bog, -4 Brainstorm, -1 Map, -1 Gemstone. +4 Needle, +2 Decay, +2 Grip, +1 Ghost Quarter, +2 Surgical.
My biggest problems with Steely Resolve in the D+T match-up are that it is purely post combo help and that they can still brick wall you with a flyer. Sometimes the issue isn't their spell/creature based answers, but their wastelands, Ports, and taxing cards making crop and co harder to set up. Besides that, I'd say about half my wins against that deck involve Steppe in some way. Mother of Runes + a flyer is a real issue and hoping to Decay your way out of that spot if you can't use Steppe because of the shroud granted by Steely Resolve is an issue.
Thanks for the helpful feedback!
Played 3-1 last night.
Crazy games, won some games mostly because of my opponents mistakes, NotW literally won me these games. Might even think of using Ancient Stirrings to dig for that alone (but if would be very niche). Lost the game against a pox build, but was so close, really depended on the top deck and he top decked a liliana where I was on 4 life, with him attacking for 4 and I needed to create lage to block... The opportunity to create the second one was there but I needed a mana source, the petal was one deeper...
Also won 2-0 against a Thalia stompy deck because he didn't find the answers and I could crop rotate/needle/NotW for protection while he didn't find enough of his 16 outs. And indeed, it was more the wastelands (didn't have ports) that I had to worry about. Although the other hate cards (STP, mangara, Displacer) where places where steely resolve would definitly help. I got lucky I guess.
Love the deck after 8 games that I played with it. Some have been a absolute blowout, others have been really tight and fun to win/lose. So far still making some mistakes (which is good, because this keeps me interesting to play the deck more).
5-0 in a league tonight.
R1: Eldrazi 2-1
G1 was a turn 2 win
G2 he had a pretty nuts draw
G3 turn 1 Needle on Wasteland sealed the deal, despite my opponent casting Oblivion Sower in a desperate attempt to hit Stage + Depths
R2: Grixis Delver 2-0
Not much worth commenting on here.
R3: UR Delver 2-0
I was worried about Vapor Snag, but he never had it.
R4: Infect 2-0
I was worried about Submerge, but I had Not of This World in the one game where it mattered
R5: Show and Tell
G1 was interesting because I thought he was Delver from his opening, then he Show and Tells in an Emrakul to block my 20/20. He then whiffs on his next turn and dies.
G2: I figured he was probably on the newer Sneaky Omni Show lists, so Needle + Karakas wasn't going to cut it. Nevertheless, I had those in my opening hand, along with Map, Thoughtseize, Hexmage, and two other lands. It was a great keep. He does nothing turn 1, so I run my Thoughtseize into a Pierce. Then, I Needle, which resolves, and think about saying Griselbrand or Sneak Attack. I decided on Griselbrand because even if he shows it in he doesn't get anything out of it, and it's still pretty useless if he has Sneak Attack. He EOT Intuitions for S+T, Ponders, plays land, passes. Having drawn Crop Rot and another Needle, I'm feeling pretty good about this. I play map, Needle on Sneak Attack. He cantrips another million times. I draw Depths, so I Crop Rot into Urborg, play Hexmage, Depths, then pass. He Cunning Wishes for Wipe Away to answer Marit Lage, Show and Tells in Omniscience (I put in 2nd Hexmage), then passes. I search for another Depths with Map, make a 20/20. He bounces it in combat. I pass, he whiffs on drawing anything powerful to cast with Omniscience, and the 2nd Lage kills him.